IDW 0022: Assassination Droid

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Topic: Assassination Droid

Background: In the year 3124, Emperor Vladimir II has succeeded his highly successful father, Vladimir I. However, instead of using his vast armies to protect and expand the human empire, he's taken the opportunity to wield ultimate power; holding the empire in an iron grip, oppressing the human race. The people need him dead. Design a droid to provide Vlad II with a suitable end.

Brief:

1. Design an assassination droid.

2. The assassination functionality should be hidden (or the droid itself) as security around Vlad II is tight.

Deadline: Saturday 11th November

Research shows Industrial Design of the Week is addictive.
    Come get your fix.

Sculpty Fight! - The Sculpt & 3D Challenge

Flipbook 2
    www.Philistine.com.au

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Spes

The scientists had made Vladimir II invulnerable, the technology they provided made assassination impossible, nothing could penetrate the shields, laser grids force fields, body guards and surveillance, and even if they could get past the security, advanced medical techniques allowed for almost total destruction of the human body to be repaired.

SPES, Latin for hope, was what Fawkes, Vladimir II's Chief Scientist, came up with, obviously he needed technology that couldn’t be found or countered, a droid that wasn't even there, and then to be able to cause Vladimir II to cease to be.

SPES uses dimensional physics, it floats around scanning the environment for its target, 'jumping' constantly into and out of this dimension, avoiding detection and any from of barrier, when the 18" high droid finds its target it 'jumps' inside of the targets body, embedding the razor sharp shards through the internal organs, once embedded SPES makes one final 'jump' into another dimension with the impalled corpse attached, removing any possibility of recovery.

Last edited by Sogbad; November 7th, 2006 at 10:53 PM. Reason: updated sketch

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. Now that's what I call a creative concept. Can't say I'm a huge fan of the image though. It's kind of hard to see what it really looks like. Maybe putting it on a white or gray background would help. I can almost envision one of those super high tech clean rooms with the shiny white walls and floor. Anyway, it's a hella awesome concept!

Sacretis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacretis
    Wow. Now that's what I call a creative concept. Can't say I'm a huge fan of the image though. It's kind of hard to see what it really looks like. Maybe putting it on a white or gray background would help. I can almost envision one of those super high tech clean rooms with the shiny white walls and floor. Anyway, it's a hella awesome concept!

Sacretis
    i agree...

concept:

concept art:

maybe do a quick schematic go at it or something... i know its hard elaborating on a sphere with random crap coming off of it, but im sure you can think of something!

(haha! responsibility LIFTED!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hell!, even I had trouble seeing what it really looked like, and I painted it!

Not much time this week, but I want to force myself to post every week

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very nice topic, I just might have to try to produce something for this

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I just read on Wikipedia, that the term "droid" was actually something George Lucas invented when writing Star Wars! He used 'droid as short for android (human like robots in sience fiction). I guess the apostrophy was dropped and a new word was there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    IG-88 eh? Maybe I can throw something together for this, but no promises.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

silent killer

With nano technology finally perfected, and many industrialists tired of Vladimir II's iron fist ruling the masses, have come together to form what will become the downfall of his rule...the new technology combined with a silent killer, as it was known in the early 2000's will bring Vladimir to his death...once released the carrier has only one thing on its mind...blood...and with the gene code of Vladimir running through its senses, it is only a matter of time before the release takes place...even if the carrier is swatted as it bites, the infection will have already taken place...then there is only death as the nanos eat away at the lining of the blood vessels, organs and finally the brain, filling the inegmatic ruler with his own blood, until he bursts from the inside out....

let me have it guys...what do you think...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Still alive

I have not being drawing for a long time, to much work (restaurant)

But I will do my best
    The idea is that part of a chessboard becomes a robot (sort of like the rover on mars), and can inject poison in its victim.
    Ciao Paolo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A slight change next week

As you may have noticed, Oblio's been trying to promote the 3D area by running a monthly ortho challenge in CHOW followed by a 3D challenge. As industrial design is so perfectly suited to orthographics, and many of the entries have them anyway, next week's topic will require an ortho and I won't be accepting 3D entries - you'll have to leave those to the 3d challenge. I'll try to come up with a suitable topic - probably a vehicle. Please feel free to add your own comments, I figured it wouldn't be a big change, but what do you guys think?

Paolo13 > Benvenuto all'IDW! E' un buon idea, spero che tu continui a fare più disegni nelle settimane.

Come get your fix.

Flipbook 2
    www.Philistine.com.au

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip
    As you may have noticed, Oblio's been trying to promote the 3D area by running a monthly ortho challenge in CHOW followed by a 3D challenge. As industrial design is so perfectly suited to orthographics, and many of the entries have them anyway, next week's topic will require an ortho and I won't be accepting 3D entries - you'll have to leave those to the 3d challenge. I'll try to come up with a suitable topic - probably a vehicle. Please feel free to add your own comments, I figured it wouldn't be a big change, but what do you guys think?

Paolo13 > Benvenuto all'IDW! E' un buon idea, spero che tu continui a fare più disegni nelle settimane.
    my opinion is that takes out of this forum folks like D-Holm, who think through their modeling. Limiting those folks (really or anyone as this forum in the past has struggled for entries, although not recently due to your deligence), may not be fair to them. I think how they go about creating for the purpose of a concept shouldnt be limited. I understand the want to help Oblio ( I actually have been busy and had not noticed that forum), but limiting some one else doesnt seem the way to go. Just my thought.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip
    I personally think that not allowing 3d entries is perfectly reasonable. I don't want to sound harsh to those who have been entering their models, however this site is "conceptart.org."

Our ideas come before the modeling stage, we give our concepts to the modelers.

In my opinion there are various reasons that the 3d sections of this forum haven't taken off, because there are several other sites (ie. cgtalk.com), that are much better suited for those who want to pursue 3D.

But I definitely think that Ortho's are a good idea, but not every week...there should be a mix between a nice final drawing/paint and good clean ortho's

Warrior Style

The first rule of Warrior Style is, You do not stop drawing.
    The second rule of Warrior Style is, You DO NOT stop drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It would happen once a month - like the CHOW ortho, then there would be two fortnightly 3D challenges. I won't limit 3D entries in the other weeks. For most people doing 3D an ortho is a good place to start anyway. I'd like to hear how the 3D guys feel about this. D-Holme? Legato?

Come get your fix.

Flipbook 2
    www.Philistine.com.au

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that setting aside an IDW a month/fortnight for the production of material to be used in the 3D challenge is a good idea. It would be a shame to see modelling as a medium excluded from the IDW all the time but what you are suggesting, Flip, sounds excellent.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The producers at C-News took a huge gamble when they outfitted one of their standard vid-hoverers with an electro-assassin unit. Though they would get the credit for ridding humanity of a tyrant, their reputation for unbiased coverage was forever tarnished..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Act.Appalled
    I personally think that not allowing 3d entries is perfectly reasonable. I don't want to sound harsh to those who have been entering their models, however this site is "conceptart.org. Our ideas come before the modeling stage, we give our concepts to the modelers.
    Unless you happen to be in a small team/startup that is, in which case you might easily find yourself wearing more than your one comfortable little favourite hat.

Not every dev team is going to have resources or even the need for a dedicated concept artist, it might be as well to not compartmentalise everything so rigidly.
    As long as the brief is being fulfilled and the next stage in the pipe has something useable to work from , what's the difference between..
    -ortho screengrabs of a Zbrush/XSI/Maya/Max/Silo/Wings/Blender sketch
    -screens from PS, PSP, GIMP, MSPaint or Painter
    -pencil/charcoal/pastel/paint sketch scanned
    -good photo of sculpy/clay model?
    Concept is all about design, no? If so, what does it matter which you use to create the design?

Note- As an infrequent poster and contributor I have no problem with the format/rules of any exercises but I am questioning the logic of restricted media in the context of "design".
    You might as well say "no fully rendered paintings at a concept stage" or "no fully textured, rigged, rendered and posed models" at the 3d stage, wires only!".

They're only tools, professionals will use whichever one gets the job done surely?.

/2p worth

Last edited by Flake; November 9th, 2006 at 09:45 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Definitely some valid points Flake, concept is all about the design, and the medium used is irrelavent. If a design reads and works well in one medium, it will work well in all of them.

However for the purpose of this forum and the purpose of the Industrial Design of the week, I still believe that 3d should be limited.

Taking a look at the other Community Activity "Of the Week" threads, there are no other 3d models posted. Only in this one, naturally Industrial Design lends it self nicely to 3d, but so do Characters, Creatures, and Environments. Then why do they scarcely see a 3d model being posted?

No doubt in the Industry you may find yourself assuming the role of Concept artist, 3d modeler, lighting artist, etc. all on the same project. And it is encouraged to learn as much as you can.

However because this forum is dedicated to the improvement of concepting and design, which in the most part is done with 2d drawing/painting (either traditional or digital) and before the modeling stage, I feel that throwing in a render is an easy out to hide flaws in traditional skills like perspective something that is CRUCIAL to industrial design, but is done almost for you in 3d.

Being a 3d modeler myself, there is a reason I personally choose not to enter my models. It is because, to have a good sound 3d Model, you need to have a sound understanding of how that design works in 2d. That and I joined this thread/forum to improve my concepting skills on paper.

Almost any professional 3d artist will stress the importance of having solid traditional foundations in terms, of form, construction, perspective, etc...

Generally if I was to model blind without at least a sketch before hand, my model just doesn't come out right. I think there is a reason they have concepts first, and then models on a normal pipeline. I cant think of any companies that just jump right in to modeling without somesort of concept.

If someone want to turn in a 3d model along with some really nice 2d concepts then by all means, that would be great. I think in the general terms, once something is turned into a 3d model it is no longer a concept, but an semi-complete assest for a game/movie.

Last edited by Act.Appalled; November 10th, 2006 at 03:26 AM.
    Warrior Style

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey people, deadline is tomorrow! Do something!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi I am new here!
    I really like to draw Mecha/Robots so this is a really cool topic for me.

Here is something to help Emperor Vladimir II meet a nasty end;

X3-PL "Lurker"
    The X3-PL "Lurker" is a mecha that can take on a variety of roles. Designed primarily for stealth assassinations of human targets, this is a vicious killing machine. It has also proved to be excellent at infiltration/surveillance work and has also found use as a trap; waiting underground until troops pass which it will quickly rip through.

Hope you like!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Technoscream
    Hi I am new here!
    I really like to draw Mecha/Robots so this is a really cool topic for me.

Here is something to help Emperor Vladimir II meet a nasty end;

X3-PL "Lurker"

The X3-PL "Lurker" is a mecha that can take on a variety of roles. Designed primarily for stealth assassinations of human targets, this is a vicious killing machine. It has also proved to be excellent at infiltration/surveillance work and has also found use as a trap; waiting underground until troops pass which it will quickly rip through.

Hope you like!
    other than being able to see where the shadows of the pipes cut off, i love it! what did you use to render/model it...? it looks fantastic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato
    other than being able to see where the shadows of the pipes cut off, i love it! what did you use to render/model it...? it looks fantastic
    Im glad you like it! I see what you mean about the pipe shadows now though. I use a program called sketchup to build my mecha in. I have a gallery at http://technoscream.deviantart.com/ if you want to see more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

silent killer final

final art gentlemen, as i have no more time this week...let me have the critiques.....please....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Self explanatory : ).
    Presented as a harmless robot pet, this guy can quickly do the job when needed.

Good doggy!

Last edited by ViDA; November 11th, 2006 at 06:10 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

One Time Use Directions -

Remove Mantis from wrapper.
    Say the name of desired victim and press start.
    Sit back and the Mantis will now seek out it target.

Warrior Style

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Technoscream
    Im glad you like it! I see what you mean about the pipe shadows now though. I use a program called sketchup to build my mecha in. I have a gallery at http://technoscream.deviantart.com/ if you want to see more!
    amazing!!! i wish i could do mechs!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Paolo13 > Are you going to finish yours?

Is there anyone else who needs more time to finish?

Come get your fix.

Flipbook 2
    www.Philistine.com.au

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry not much time

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.