Page 21 of 62 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    man...im very embarrased at how long it has been since I've dropped in here...you're making great progress dude!

I think that portrait is very successful due to the value and edgework:
    Xylene Fumes  - updated - 01.09

for your recent updates i suggest pushing the contrast more (darken the coreshadow to separate the highlight and shadow from the midtones). and soften some edges to push back and bring out the facial structures. keep it up man!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    The last patch of portraits come out nice.

Make a sketchbook happy, feed it a tip to improve!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85628

Thanks
    Hey there, it's been a while.

You gotta let the negativity go...or, better yet, channel that drive further into your commitment to becoming a better artist. Your frustrations with not getting it to look "perfect" is a reflection of internal drive and the high standards you set for yourself, which is a really good thing. You've just got to own that negative energy and reclaim it as a force for positivity. It's really all the same thing, it all comes from the same source. Positivity and negativity are just inversions of one another. So, don't be so hard on yourself.

Just get up and keep going! And remember, you can always return to your old drawings and revamp them. This is the digital age, we can practically do whatever we want to our artwork :-)

Blog
    Sketchbook

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."

Thanks
    Novbert - Thanks for the in-depth analysis. I agree with each of the points you made about errors in the portrait. I just don't know about the process right now...I've been trying to follow the advice of the experts as much as possible. I think perhaps much of my problem is a mental one, as well as just not taking my time enough.

paperX - That means you'll be dropping by more often, right . I screwed up the eyes, but I think it was a good exercise.

Pigeonkill - Thanks.

Peetaer - Thanks for the encouragement. I realize that it is good to have rigorous standards, but I also know that I sometimes take that too far. Its just that with likenesses right now I'm quite frustrated at the lack of improvement.

---

Happy 2010 everybody!

Well I guess 2009 was a bit of a rough year, what with the economy and everything else, but I feel like it was a tremendous year of growth for me, personally. Its been one of those times when you feel like you've been sleep-walking for years and you suddenly just woke up.

Thanks to everybody who gave me support and criticism along the way. I hope everyone had as much a sense of accomplishment and that we all have a great year going forward.

---

Enough Hallmark crap then...here's some arts:

some digital gestures. There are some nice poses in there, although I think the technique is crap.

Name:  01-2010.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  141.0 KB

Still working on head construction...realizing that I have a total lack of consistancy which is related to just working willy-nilly without any intent or purpose. I think that this may be my single greatest bad habit right now, aside from general impatience and timidity.

Name:  CHARACTER AND INTENT.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  216.1 KB

Working on drapery a bit, haven't really sunk my teeth into it yet. I think I just need to exercise some patience.

Name:  DRAPERY PRINCIPLES.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  246.8 KB

The bulk of my efforts over the past two months have been in trying to work out my process for figure drawing. Trying to apply my gains in 3d form construction, to the figure, and trying to understand the step-by-step of the "general to specific" approach. A key point has been to get familiar with rules of thumb to gauge and measure foreshortening...things really began to click when I could visualize depth-wise proportions better.

Name:  MANNEKIN PROCESS DEVELOPMENT.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  231.8 KB

More life drawing...blizzards here on the east coast cost me a week

12-16-09

Name:  FROM LIFE 12-16-2009.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  152.8 KB

12-23-09

Name:  FROM LIFE 12-23-2009.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  146.2 KB

01-20-10 - starting to apply construction process...utilizing a pair of lead holders has helped a lot, thanks to Peetaer for his advice on 12-06.

Name:  FROM LIFE 01-20-2010.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  134.6 KB

01-27-10 - use of simple curves to block in is finally starting to make sense.

Name:  FROM LIFE 01-27-2010.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  85.6 KB

more stuff soon hopefully, thanks for checking up on me, guys!

sketchbook...a kitten dies every time you don't comment

“When forced to work within a strict framework,
    the imagination is taxed to its utmost – and will
    produce its richest ideas. Given total freedom,
    the work is likely to sprawl.”

- TS Eliot

Bloooooooog

Thanks
    Ah some work done while you were away from CA. Good stuff. The digital gestures look very linear in comparison to your pencil work. I would say the gestures were done fine just the line work makes it look less human. Really like the face work even without purpose it seems to have come through well.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    A critique just for you, bud.
    Definite improvement on that last batch of life drawings!
    The tonal portraits are looking nice too, especially Carter Royston. Good shapes going on there.

I think it wouldn't hurt for you to do more figure studies from photos.
    The trick though, is that you should keep in mind the same techniques and process you would use for life drawing.
    I did this for awhile and I found it really helpful to ingrain techniques and I wouldn't fumble around so much when it came to drawing from life.

Peace

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HunterKiller_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,685 Times in 1,478 Posts
    What part of P.A. are you in, BludHund?

If it's Eastern PA, come check out Barnstone (www.barnstonestudios.com)

This is right up your alley. It looks like you've been really searching hard for some answers. Check out some of Myron's video vignettes at the website and see if this place will fit the bill for you.

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    I agree that last batch of figure drawing is improving. I notice you got the land marks better established. I like the clothing studies and the break down. My only suggestion is to go easy on the wrinkles in drawing, even though in real life they do look that way. Simplify like wrinkles on faces. But I also need to study up on folds too.

Make a sketchbook happy, feed it a tip to improve!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85628

Thanks
    liquidjack - *ashamed* yes I still have to work on being more involved and updating more frequently. Yeah the hardness of the lines is a factor..but also I think just the general approach...I need to be thinking in terms of the 'essence of motion and mass' rather than just outlines. Its really hard for me. Thanks...I know some of the faces look decent, I just want to be more consistent.

HunterKiller - thanks, man. I've been thinking the same thing about the life drawing...I'm guessing also that I need to strike a closer balance between 'from life' and 'from memory'

p sage - Thanks for the suggestion. I checked out the 'vignettes' on Barnstone's site. To be honest, despite his compelling declamatory style of speaking, a lot of what he's talking about is not strictly new to me. Plus I'm kinda resistant to a classroom environment nowadays. However, I may purchase his DVD set and see where that leads me...

Pigeonkill - Yeah...I need to up my tempo and get beyond the landmark stage, but I do think the whole exercise is paying off. On the drapery: yes of course, really it seems that drapery is mostly a means to express posture and form *through* wrinkles...the wrinkles are the trees that make up the forest of the pose, so to speak. In these cases I was being so detail-obsessed because I was not create a composition, but rather trying to drill the vocabulary into my memory.

---

So, after this last batch I've definitely decided that its just not healthy for me to update monthly anymore. For one thing, its too much scanning, for another thing, I don't get enough interaction/involvement with y'all. I think I'm going to shoot for weekly updates...just got to budget the time. I think I'm making regular enough progress that it won't feel like I'm sacrificing so much precious precious drawing time...

...and hopefully I won't be so damn wordy, either

---

drapery studies...barely starting to make sense..this stuff is hard

Name:  drapery march 2010 - dress shirts.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  274.4 KB
    Name:  drapery march 2010 - blouses.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  239.5 KB

from life

Name:  from life 02-17-2013.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  189.4 KB
    Name:  from life 03-03-2010.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  287.5 KB
    Name:  from life 03-10-2015.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  137.6 KB
    Name:  from life 03-17-2011.jpg
Size:  259.3 KB

from memory/imagination

Name:  march 2010 from memory.jpg
Size:  217.7 KB

---

sorry its so much boring graphite figure studies, guys. Believe, me, I feel the need to do something more interesting. Should at least have some clothed figures for the next update.

Thanks for everything.

Last edited by BludHund; April 4th, 2010 at 09:51 PM.

- TS Eliot

Bloooooooog

Thanks
    Things seem pretty weird on CA these days, technically speaking. I seem to have a hard time logging in to my account (could be firefox?). That last post didn't seem to work at all, so lets try again.

Name:  MCBAIN - PROCESS.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  255.0 KB

There we go...took about 12 hours, but it seems to be working now.

Last edited by BludHund; March 28th, 2010 at 08:43 AM.

- TS Eliot

Bloooooooog

Thanks
    For the most part I like this crusader guy. Mean looking SOB. Really good to see the process work. That sword wielding right hand though is weird to me. I am not sure if you are showing his hand is bony and the skeleton is pushing up on the skin or maybe he is really squeezing the sword, but the rest of his pose is not dynamic so I doubt that. Those lines are probably better off removed.

keep it up

14. The Following User Says Thank You to liquidjack For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Craaaazy progress Blud, i only wish there were any life drawing classes in my town, You are nailing the anatomy.

Best wishes.

Last edited by Icecold; April 4th, 2010 at 10:12 AM.

Thanks
    Really cool progress you made throughout your sketchbook.

Those drapery studies from your previous page really made me wanna do some drapery studies as well

Page 21 of 62 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4