Best UK illustration with animation courses?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Best UK illustration with animation courses?

hi, I'm in the art and design foundation year and I want to end up as either a concept artist for games or films. I'm pretty confident I can get into most Unis with BA Hons courses for Illustration with animation (the animation is like an extra optional part of the course) so can anyone tell me which is the best Uni in the UK to apply for? so far my top 4 are: University of the West of England Bristol, Gloucester Uni, Manchester Metropolitan University, UCLAN Blackpool Uni. Are these good uns? I wouldnt mind doing an illustration BA Hons course if there is no animation option..

Last edited by capndarkduck; November 2nd, 2006 at 12:44 PM.
    Halo is for life, not just for Christmas.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ever look into Southampton Institute? http://www.solent.ac.uk I looked into them about 3 years back and found a dual animation & illustration course, BA. I'm not sure about the current setup.

You could always ask Nick, NickPhillips@solent.ac.uk That was the contact info given to me. He might be able to answer more questions if you have any.

Good luck in your searches

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there, i'm at the university for the west of england studying illustration about to dabble into animation.
    Bristol is great for me, I love the place, people and the course is pretty good too. But you wil learn just as much getting to know the other people and learning off them.
    Andrewley went to manchester to study animation and i believe i remember him saying he wouldn't recommend it.
    Kingston also run a course, it's a pretty expensive place to be though. If you are considering without animation, also consider falmouth.
    Depends what type of person you are.
    I'd stress going to open days and looking around the place, chatting to people, it's a big step and different uni's and course styles suit different people.
    Shout me over MSN if you have any questions, I'm the chairman of the Art media and design student council.
    -B-

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know anything about which schools are best, but there are a couple of links in my sigs that you may be interested in.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome thanks for the info, u guys helped a lot. choosing a uni is so confusing, i think i'm gonna have to just go to a ton of open days but bristol sounds good, its in my fave 3 for applying through route B. and thanks for the game design info!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger
    Andrewley went to manchester to study animation and i believe i remember him saying he wouldn't recommend it.
    He went to UCLAN, the university of central lancashire, not to be confused with manchester metropolitan university (which im planning on going to)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Crush
    He went to UCLAN, the university of central lancashire, not to be confused with manchester metropolitan university (which im planning on going to)
    I stand corrected, sorry about that
    Thanks Crush!
    -B-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    meh, ima just stay in leeds for uni. I can't be fucked with all that excessive loan shit, its all a bit unneccessary if ya ask me, unless of course yer parents er loadid.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I checked out kingston a couple of years ago, the course looked really impressive and from the sounds of things the students seem to do well at competitions to if thats anything to go by.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I checked out the illustration with animation course in MMU but I didnt fancy it. I saw a bit of Liverpool's animation but that seemed better from what little I saw of but nothing prepared me for when I saw the animation course at the Arts Institute at Bournemouth (AIB). Ive first heard of it from my tutors, its apparently the place to study animation in the country. Im now on the course and I cant image being anywhere else really. It focuses on tons of drawings (people often forget that to be an animator you have to be good at drawing), there is a strong community there - all the year groups helps each other out, you can stay and work in the studio from 7am to 9pm except on sundays. Its almost like I live in the university really. I can go on about how much I love it there, but you should go see these courses for yourself.
    I dont know much about the illustrations with animation courses, but as an animation student I wouldnt recommend taking a course with both options. Animation is a huge area that I dont think can be covered with another area.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

update guys ^^

Hey, I'm back! so now I've got my uni place and everything is sorted! got a place in Bristol UWE for drawing and applied art which I've accepted, and the city and the course looks awesome! thanks for your mighty help everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Bournemouth

animation student I wouldnt recommend taking a course with both options. Animation is a huge area that I dont think can be covered with another area.[/QUOTE]

Bendragon- Have been looking for someone who knows anything about Bournemouth. What is the course set up like there? Im in Ireland and have zero time to attend open days (have just finished Masters want to start again....!) Do you think there is an age limit for this course?

Cheers -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey darkersunshine, theres no age limit on the course. Theres two versions of the course though, so Im not sure which one mean. Theres the traditional animation in the Arts Institute at Bournemouth, and there is the 3D animation at Bournemouth University.
    The course in the AIB is very good. Its based on improving your drawing skills and tries to provide as close to the professional industry as possible. What I mean by this is that you will be able to work in teams on a production film.
    If you have any more questions Im more than happy to help!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If Canada is an option take a look at Max the Mutt Animation School in Toronto. (www.maxthemutt.com) The new 4 year Advanced Diploma in Concept Art for Animation and Video Games was accepted by the Ministry today, so it isn't up on the web site yet, but check the thread I started today. I've posted the curriculum. Our animation diplomas are well respected, and we had graduates hired as illustrators and concept artists before we decided we needed to offer separate diplomas. Let me know if you have questions or contact Van Olson, Admissions Director at volson@maxthemutt.com.

Our tuition is affordable; our instructors are all professionals, and most are teaching part time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Ben. I've been moonlighting as a comics fanatic for 10 years now so I am well in to my twenties - I fear this is too late to make a start in to animation. I would be looking in to more classical animation and steering well away from video gaming (although thats where the money seems to be!) and I heard Bournemouth is the place to be.....

Lucky you!

D.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We already have a few people in their late 20s on the course, so that should be fine. I think the new students for the next year has already been selected. So you might have to wait for the year after that. A foundation art degree is preferable though its not always necesarry, it depends on your portfolio and attitude.
    Heres the course's link:
    http://www.aib.ac.uk/Default.aspx?page=542
    Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Help!

Hi,
    This year I'm applying and I've got a problem...

Is this BA (Hons) Animation Production at AIB really that bad or is my paid consultant trying to trick me? Could you tell what is the best and what is the worst in the course? What other animation courses would you recommend and why exactly?

The guy told me that both AIB's or Bournemouth University's offers in Animation courses are lame, that there are many courses of better quality, for example at Bath or Southampton...

And now I feel dizzy, because from what I've expired at the Open Day in AUCB - Animation Production appeared promising and students' works amazed me. I've been talking with the tutor who told me about the course content, the structure, the conditions in which students work... And it convinced me, for a long time I thought it's the course for me, I've been preparing and doing so much life drawing!... But now this 'advice' quite fouled me up

Here is something that still tells me to apply there - Imagine FX Top Ten Art Schools, where AIB is on the 4th place...
    http://www.imaginefx.com/02287754332...t-schools.html

Anybody please help me!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ????
    What bad things have you heard about the AUCB (previously AIB) animation course? I am wondering who is your 'paid consultant' and what position hes in to make his negative judgments. Im just curious cause Ive heard and then experienced nothing but top stuff from that course. Can you detail out what bad things you have heard?
    I graduated from the very animation in 2009 and think its brilliant and contrary to what youve heard from the guy you consulted it (and the BU animation course) is one of the top animation courses in the country. They are both of the few Skillset accredited courses, to give you a flavor of their credentials. The BU animation course is more CG orientated and is very high profiled with regular visitors from the industry coming to do talks (a friend of mine who went there mentioned Framestore, Double Negative, Frontier to name a few). And the course I attended, the animation course at the AUCB has a good structure and a good track record for teaching and producing good work.
    And if your experience in the open day was good and you were convinced by what you saw of the work environment and quality of work coming out of it, why let one guy's opinion change you? Like I said before, I am intrigued in what he said and in who he is. I have my suspicion of the identity of this person is. Some one from my class has been bitter about the course and constantly lambastes it for his own failings and its a shame that people would hold a grudge like that would go on to release their own angst by discouraging other people.
    So anyway, Id highly recommend the course. The AUCB one is more focused on traditional paper animation but with the option to explore alternatives like 3d and stop motion. The BU animation is primarily 3d, I dont know a lot about it but from what Ive heard from other people and of people I know who came from that course it sounds high quality.

But do check out these courses first hand via open days. Even if they are top ranked on a list it doesnt mean its the right course for everyone. Visit the places, listen to what people say and then make your own opinion. Go for the course that you feel is right for you and not one that is listed as number one on some list.

Good luck to you all in finding which degree to take. If you have any questions do feel free to message me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dear Bendragon,

Thank You so much for replying! Me and my dearest Mina Bellakotką are just applying to AUCB Animation Production (BA) and BU Computer Visualisation and Animation (BA) courses. We've made this decision about a year ago after quite serious research. Now there was this guy who really tried hard to discourage Mina from AUCB yesterday. I didn't talk to him but when I heard that he attempted to criticise BU, that made me laugh.

Now the fun part!
    I wanted to say that your artworks actually played role in HE choice of 2 students from Poland - would you expect this to happen?

I'll let Mina say the rest ^^ just dropped in to say thanks! I hope in some years we'll be working together. Your artworks are nice!

Last edited by michael_; November 14th, 2010 at 04:26 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I have some helpful things to say...

I went to the open day at Kingston, I hated it, and also hated my interview. The students work is all very samey and they are very up themselves there, was the impression I got. One student said to another "you can tell who is the sort of Kingston student can't you?" and I was like, o-kay-then, even if I'm a Kingston student I certainly don't want to be pigeon holed. (I didn't get in anyway, so I guess I wasn't conventionally contemporary enough for them!)

Many students on my course (illustration ba hons at University of Westminster, I can't say I recommend my uni particularly but the point still stands), make moving image work and most of it is better than the stuff the animation ba hons guys produce.

A few ex-students from our course who have come in to our class to chat about what they are doing now no longer do illustration specifically. One was an animator, one was a puppet, prop, toy and costume maker and one was a graphic designer. They have all said that studying a subject not specific to what they are doing now has given them a creative advantage, because they have skills in visual communication that others seeking their job do not have.

There are positives and negatives to every course and uni I'm sure, but I think being more broad is beneficial unless you know exactly what you want to do.

Sketchbook | Art Blog | Portfolio

True progress means matching the world to the vision in our heads.
    But we always change the vision instead.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Michael and Mina,
    Glad I could help out. Choosing a degree can be a hard and important decision and I'd like to help whenever possible and Im sure there are official helplines (maybe UCAS has helpful services) and I believe they should be free or charge. Those who not only try to take advantage of students but also give misleading advice that plays with other people's future are scum. I dont know the fellow you mentioned. My initial reaction was that it was a disgruntled ex student who wanted to blame someone else for their short comings. But by the sounds of it he is out to make money off people who might not know better. I am a little annoyed with this guy's antics, it doesnt seem professional and Im tempted to talk to him directly. What degree is during a student's important years of development and misguiding them can be harmful. By the looks of his website it doesnt look very professional, and I doubt he can consult every student in all areas of academic studies like it seems to be implying on the reference page. I will probably email UCAS about if this is legal. Yeah, I really dont like what this guy is appearing to be doing.

He could well be basing his judgment on the universities reputation as a whole perhaps?!? I dont know what the BU is like for other courses like Medicine or Physics, perhaps this is what he is referring to? Because in the creative industry what degree you have doesnt matter one bit. Dont get me wrong, a degree can be instrumental in your development and I learned a lot from the experience but ultimately it is down to your portfolio to do the selling. I took an animation degree but always knew I wanted to be a concept artist and when I got the job I wanted, no one asked me if Im qualified to be a concept artist my portfolio should have answered that.

Annnnnndddddd... Being in a good or bad course can only do so much too. Ultimately it is also down to you! You get what you put in, remember. As mentioned before, Andrew Ley (a kick ass artist) attended a course he didnt rate but came out of it very well.

Hehehe thanks for the compliments too Im glad I could help you guys out. The course provided good opportunities but its up to the individual to make something out of them. Keep working hard and practice makes perfect, thats my advice. Good luck guys!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Michael and Mina,
    Glad I could help out. Choosing a degree can be a hard and important decision and I'd like to help whenever possible and Im sure there are official helplines (maybe UCAS has helpful services) and I believe they should be free or charge. Those who not only try to take advantage of students but also give misleading advice that plays with other people's future are scum. I dont know the fellow you mentioned. My initial reaction was that it was a disgruntled ex student who wanted to blame someone else for their short comings. But by the sounds of it he is out to make money off people who might not know better. I am a little annoyed with this guy's antics, it doesnt seem professional and Im tempted to talk to him directly. What degree is during a student's important years of development and misguiding them can be harmful. By the looks of his website it doesnt look very professional, and I doubt he can consult every student in all areas of academic studies like it seems to be implying on the reference page. I will probably email UCAS about if this is legal. Yeah, I really dont like what this guy is appearing to be doing.

He could well be basing his judgment on the universities reputation as a whole perhaps?!? I dont know what the BU is like for other courses like Medicine or Physics, perhaps this is what he is referring to? Because in the creative industry what degree you have doesnt matter one bit. Dont get me wrong, a degree can be instrumental in your development and I learned a lot from the experience but ultimately it is down to your portfolio to do the selling. I took an animation degree but always knew I wanted to be a concept artist and when I got the job I wanted, no one asked me if Im qualified to be a concept artist my portfolio should have answered that.

Annnnnndddddd... Being in a good or bad course can only do so much too. Ultimately it is also down to you! You get what you put in, remember. As mentioned before, Andrew Ley (a kick ass artist) attended a course he didnt rate but came out of it very well.

Hehehe thanks for the compliments too Im glad I could help you guys out. The course provided good opportunities but its up to the individual to make something out of them. Keep working hard and practice makes perfect, thats my advice. Good luck guys!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Bendragon,

I wanted to say it's just WONDERFUL to have you tell us genuine things about your course and the industry. In fact we were hoping you'd answer from the very beginning I'm actually your watcher for more than a year now it's also very heartwarming what you're saying about the importance of portfolio, I grew up in this exact belief and it makes me keep going - nothing more motivating for me than 'everything is your hands' we'll be definitely seeking more advice from you

and I'm glad that you've had your own pathway in mind from the beginning - Mina is going to study animation but in fact she... okay, I'm speaking too much now

anyway it's great great great that you're here with us, you can probably figure out how difficult it is to make a good choice from here (Poland)...

if you're still in Bournemouth, we'll surely bring you a delicious cake when when we settle down there or at least something sweet if we can't afford it!

once again, we really appreciate your help!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hehe your welcome. I visit the AUCB a few times so maybe I'll see you guys there some time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

UK Illustration & Animation (or similar) Course Suggestions

Since someone already dug up this 4-year-old thread and the topic is identical to my issue, I thought I'd use the opportunity to present my case:

I'm at that point in my life where I have to decide what to do with it, and since art has been on my radar from earliest childhood, I think I wouldn't be happy until I at least tried making it as an artist. I don't have any specific job I'm aiming for (Concept artist! - but, let's be realistic), I just know that I have a passion for storytelling and drawing. The descriptions of animation and illustration courses, focusing on exactly that, visual storytelling, seemed perfect, and I had my heart set on studying Illustration with Animation after doing a Foundation Degree (because right now my portfolio isn't large or good enough to directly apply for a regular BA right away). The thing is, I'm from Germany, and do not want to study here - I was looking at UK universities, but, since I do NOT have the opportunity to visit open days, I had to rely on online information, and whatever university you look up, there are just as many people denigrating it as there are praising it. And I cannot possibly know who to listen to. I am determined to work hard and seize all the opportunities a Higher Education would provide me with, so I don't know if those people critisizing their university where just lazy and are now vindicitive, because they can't get a job or what, but the point is, I'm asking you now, please, to tell me which university in the UK (since I could not possibly afford a US one) offers good courses in the creative arts.
    I have read here and elsewhere that Bournemouth is quite good, but there's only an Animation, not an Animation with Illustration course, which isn't exactly a deal-breaker, but a small let-down.

Anyway. I would truly appreciate any suggestions, ranging from your education experiences to even a different field of study that covers my interests. Basically, I'm downright frustrated with my research, because it's not leading me anywhere.

(Right now, I'm kind of tentatively eyeing MMU as a possible number one placement of choice. But then again, that might change any minute.)

btw., thanks, davi, for helping me authorize the account.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm at MMU right now, mNihil, so feel free to ask me anything and I'll try to help. I personally have mixed feelings about the place and so i'm considering changing over to Bournemouth for my 2nd year.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bournemouth really does seem like the UK uni of choice for artists (and their application deadline is somewhere in March, it seems, which would give me time to actually put together a nice portfolio). Still, I do start to get the impression, that if you want to study art, the UK is maybe not the place after all. (Please do correct me if I'm wrong)

Anyway, thank you for your kind offer, B u r l. So, if I may, what are the reasons for thinking about transfering? And what are the things keeping you?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still, be careful about what course u take up. Bournemouth has a good reputation but their Illustration course isnt very good. I have a few friends who did the illustration course at Bournemouth and didnt rate it. Research into the courses and dont rely on the reputation of the overall university.
    It might be worth you asking on the UK thread about this too since I know a few ppl studying courses all over the country are frequenting that thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is another good course I have heard about. I have heard a lot of games courses are bad and just hope slapping the word 'games' on their program would draw people in, but a colleague of mine has highly recommended this course which he graduated from. I haven't seen the place myself but a lot of the graduates out of there have gone on to some successes and its Skillset accredited. Worth a look methinks.

http://www.dmu.ac.uk/study/courses/u...design-ba.aspx

Members who have read this thread: 1