DAN wins! EOW #38 Rumble in the Jungle VOTES

gizmodus

--------

cesaraguilar

---------

Moai

Golden sunlight filtered through the canopy of a southern Pangaean jungle. An Eospinus, a small pelycosaur, scampered over mossy tree routes in pursuit of tasy gliding lizards. Just as it was about to leap and snatch its prey out of the air, the Eopspinus paused. It lacked true ears and could not hear the deep rumbling sound, but it could feel the vibration of the ground beneath its feet. Uneasily, the Eospinus tasted the air with its forked tongue, and registered the unmistakable scent of the most powerful predator of its age, the Terrasuchus. The Eospinus scurried away. The Terrasuchus slept on, its slumber uninterrupted, the deep rumbles of its snores striking fear into the heart of any creature to hear them. The Terrasuchus had eaten well. It had slept, digesting, for six weeks, until moss and lichen took root in its hide and it became part of the landscape. But now, in the mysterious depths of its primitive mind, there was a familiar stirring. The Terrasuchus was hungry again, and would soon feed.

--------------

arttorney

I heard a low rumbling noise and looked to my left. What I saw made me freeze stock still and my heart began pounding like a jackhammer!

---------------

sarillion

--------------

Migsta

For miles around, the rumbling of the prelaunch cylce of the IBM could be heard. The area is scarce of wildlife since testing of the facility is constant

---------------

Kian

-----------------

Dan

-------------------

snowboarderx82

-------------------

bumskee

"You sissy! I know you are hiding in here!"
    "........"
    "You can't hide from me!! you emo bastid!"
    "........"

Last edited by Hyver; November 15th, 2006 at 03:57 AM.
    WEED TORTURE WIN
    www.hyver.com -()- sketch thread

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dan got my vote, very intense scene. The most ordinary entry, but also the best executed. Runner-ups are bumskee (nice colors, best jungle entry, but no rumble), and kian (nice strokes, but again almost no rumble) and gizmodus (innovative compared to the others, but unfinished).

Nice round.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bu-hum-skee

gimodus, Kian, Dan (that was very close) - great runner ups!

--(-)|dE--

portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow dan, great work, got the vote

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Moai got my vote I liked the composition of the piece and the painting style .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gizmodus- Very nice effort here. It would have been much better if it was more finished, though. Do a bit more rendering on the trees, add a secondary focal point over to the right, give the canopy a more leafy texture, etc. Still, it's a nice painting, and a very innovative, light-hearted approach, compared to what a lot of the rest of us did.
    cesaraguilar- It's a shame that you disappeared after posting this image, because it could have been much more than it is. As it is, it needs cleaning and clarifying, and the red light could be moved to the side a bit for a more interesting composition, and be given a more interesting color. A description also would have been nice. Anyway, though, the lighting is very well done and there's a nice menacing mood.
    Moai- My biggest complaint about my own piece is that it doesn't stand up when the line drawing layer is turned off. It needs to be more of a painting than a colored drawing. It's by far my best environment ever, though.
    arttorney- It was nice to see this progress throughout the round. I think there are two main problems, though. One, the sign is very well drawn but is absolutely parallel to the picture frame. A slanted sign would have been more natural and dynamic. Second, the ground could be a lot more solid. Some harder lights and darks would do the trick, I think. On the plus side, the picture has a wonderful sense of depth with the vegetation and a great poetic feel.
    I gotta go right now. I'll be back very soon to finish these!
    I'm back!
    sarillion- Basically, the only problem with this is that it doesn't seem finished. The background especially, on the other side of the waterfall. Also, too monochromatic. Pushing the light more towards golden yellow and pushing some of the vegetation towards blue would have added more variety and interest. On the plus side, it really is a nice little drawing, with a great sense of light.
    Migsta- The biggest problem with this is that the value range is fairly narrow and there isn't much variety in the color. I'd like some darker shading in part of the forest, maybe the shadows of some clouds, and some warmer yellow-greens in patches of sunlight. Also, some specular highlights along the river would have been nice. Also, the bases don't quite seem in correct perspective to me, and the farthest one is kinda floating, rather than sitting firmly on the ground. Great atmosphere and very naturalistic rendering of the jungle!
    Kian- It's a great piece, full of light and texture, with a very solid, angular style. My only crit would be to perhaps make it more jungle-ish, with more trees.
    [DAN]- Very nice. Awesome rendering and a very dynamic composition. I have two crits. One is a nitpick: the hole with the three soldiers should be darker. Second, the military subject matter doesn't attract me at all, but that's a matter of personal taste, not artistic quality.
    snowboarder82x- My recommendation for you when doing pieces in the future: take the time to do some thorough studies of your subjects-in this case, tropical plants-so you know them well before attempting a full picture. Use reference so you aren't just drawing from the often innacurate symbols of objects you hold in your mind. In your picture, the perspective is off, but I don't know enough about perspective to analyze it, so I can't really help you with that. The volcano in the back looks good, and the light on the sand dune on the left looks really nice. It really captures the orangish tint that smoke and ash causes in sunlight.
    bumskee- You got my vote, dewd. Your jungle is lush and exquisite, and the rendering of the vegetation is wonderful. I have two crits. One, the guy's right arm kinda disappears into a skin-colored haze. Two, the light coming from his flashlight/flare is somewhat dirty. The excellence of your picture easily overcomes those flaws, though.

To all who voted for me, thanks so much!

Last edited by Moai; November 3rd, 2006 at 06:22 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    dan got my vote.. well I think it best describes the topic. and heaps of energy!

Kian & gizmodus were sweet too.

thanks for the votes & nice words peeps!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "You can't hide from me!! you emo bastid!"

Lol! Bumskee u freak!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hahaha ... min just told me he dedicated that one to me...

I wasn't hiding

Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    yeah u were u emo crab stick! we were going to do this and u chickened out!

tyranx, let you in a little secret, tom is more of a freak than me...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, gotta go for DAN too. Well done mate. When I look at the pic I think, Rumble in the Jungle straight away//

Min, beautiful piece again mate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had a really hard time choosing between Bumskee and Moai. I'm actually deciding to go with Moai becuase even though I thought Bumskee's was the best looking, I didn't notice a rumble in the jungle.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my vote goes to Dan, I like the atmosphere, intense and dramatic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted Bumskee, because of the excellent color palette. And Moai was a close second. Keep on kicking ass Moai!
    Dan's Image was really good as well, but the border and photo plants in the front are a bit too distracting from the overall pic imo.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks so much, Supervlieg! I'll try!
    It's ironic how well I did this round. I'm a creature guy at heart, yet my first EoW entry got almost as much votes as all my CoW entries combined.
    Thanks all for the votes and comments! And congrats, DAN!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanke you very much for your kind replyes.It helps me a lot to improve my work.

Moai: "the military subject matter doesn't attract me at all" -me neither and this is the reason why i did a war scene, because i never did drawings with explosions and stuff like that and i wanted to see if it is fun and... it was ) thanke u very much for your opinion.

Supervlieg:well , I agree I got a little bit too fancy about the presentation of the piece and the photos of the plants in the front... now that's some experimentation because I had to do this picture very fast (4-5 hours) and I tryed to get the final piece as fast as i could...

Some criticism :

Gizmodus:I liked very much the theme of your piece, quite original my friend, party in the jungle, what i would do more is to add some action some sense of movement in there to help the viewer feel better the atmosphere of the party.

Moai:good composition and subject for the image.I think the colors,the materials and the sense of space of the scene needs more love.In a matter of colors, the jungle especially in the areas hit by light colors have the tendency to get very vivid also the jungle is a wet medium so i think it must pe shown speculars... ,in materials also i think it needs to be a little more differece between rocks, leafs, trees and skin.In atmosphere takeing in consideration that jungle is full of water vapours some volumetric light will help.

good work anyway , congratulations and keep up the good work.

bumskee: really nice color palette mood and light pity is little action there.Very good piece also got my vote

kian: i like the energy and the use of textures and light in your piece it will help a more dramatic composition for that kind of subject and also more space indication (ex: a road , a array of trees).

Migsta:A very descriptive shot, i think a little more contrast is needed there and more action, like trucks , boats , aircrafts,birds...whatever , and more color variation .I think it will be good if you take a look at craig mullins environments to see how he puts life in his environments form a color and a story telling point of view

Please excuse my english and i apologise for this late answer very little time at my hand these days...
    Anyway o had all the stages of finnishing this picture so if anyone is interested I will poste them just let me know

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the crits, DAN! I think you diagnosed it very accurately. I'll keep all this in mind for future pieces. And good for you for branching out into a subject that you'd never tackled before.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.