Junkyard Wisdom
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Junkyard Wisdom

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Junkyard Wisdom

Hello!

Unfortunately, school has started for me, and this means less time for life and drawing. So I've been kind of dead around here lately. But, after a couple of weeks, I still managed to doodle some 5 WIPs, so... bear with me. XD

Here's one in which you can actually kind of tell what it's meant to be:
    Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  184.5 KB

I'm contemplating extending the image horizontally and adding some foreground elements [like people! ] Although... I'm not sure. It's begging for some fires/explosions/etc but I originally wanted this to be a cold, desolate, wintery sort of scene.

I am also aware that the perspective is kind of screwed, but I don't know how to fix it. =_= Any help will be greatly appreciated.

- K.

P.S. If you're interested in seeing my last completed WIP, [the one with floating trees] - http://jiuta.deviantart.com/ - I stupidly saved the image as a .png and it wouldn't upload it on CA. In addition, my computer is too "fragile" to risk opening the image and re-saving it again as a .jpg.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
Views: 118
Size:  63.3 KB

Extended the canvas... going to figure out what to put in the foreground.

Must... resist... adding... fire... >_<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know if you wanted to add fire and keep with the cold desolation, one of those oil drums with fire in it and bums keeping warm might still fit the overall mood of the pic if you keep the warm colors to the corner and maybe only extend a few deep red lighting effects onto the pile, though I’m not exactly clear on what’s going on. Based on your first pic I thought it was some old robot, no longer able to move but still active, discarded and half buried in junk who doles out wisdom from his living grave, but in the recent update you seem to have defined his legs, so he no longer looks buried...any chance we can get a description of what the basic concept is?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This looks really promising, I like where it's headed so far.

Seeing as it's overcast, maybe adding some drizzle or wetness to make it look like it's been raining? Also grime, mud, that kind of thing. Truepinkas' suggestion with the fire is also cool.

Finn | my sketchbook thread | tumblr | Bēhance | gorillaartfare | whiskey, gin, and pints of beer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I preferred the pic when the robot was half buried/destroyed, a full body looks a little out of place in a junkyard. Awesome idea though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    definitely do the robot half destoryed.. sharpening the image up a bit in the foreground would be nice too. I think leaving the background a bit out of focus will make it appear murky and dark.. which is what I believe you're going for, but bringing out the foreground will give the eyes something to focus on and balance it out a bit...

this is a really great piece you have, and with a little work it'll be very inspirational. It reminds me of luis royo's work a bit... like his piece "gray on a grayer gray"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A quick update.

Views: 103
Size:  51.7 KB

Someone suggested I should make the canvas "extreme widescreen". Hmm...

I'm in the process of making the robot more destroyed, it's kind of hard to make the perspective work without sketching the body first.

Basic concept:

There once was a war where the machines were valued and depended upon for battle and survival. Now that the great war is over, people come to the junkyards to learn from their mistakes. While the machines have been scrapped and disosed of, a subliminal conflict and regret is still present.

Basically I want this to look like an aftermath of a battle, the falling snow that will eventually cover all the evidnce. It's meant to be a sombre sort of image.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.