Sketchbook: AztcFireflower's Figures 'n' Stuff - Page 6
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Judging by contents in SB, am I Dude or Gal?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dude

16 26.23%
  • Gal

45 73.77%
Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: AztcFireflower's Figures 'n' Stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The recent portraits are lovely. Your values are impressive. Overall just great work!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Chinese Master Copies

Hi M.A.L. Thank you. Obssesive drawing consistently is a key to great studies and small frustrations.
    aspenboy Thanks. Your comment and your time visiting is very much appreciated. I hope to improve in quality and quantity this coming year.
    Hi timmyhol Yes, traditonal life figure class environments are so wonderful. I miss them. Now, I hope I can remember and APPLY all the stuff my instructors taught me, as I'm on my own in workshops. Thanks for stopping in.
    Chris Your words are so thoughtful and I really find in them encouragement that such qualities are seen in some of my drawings. Thank you for commenting on these points and your advise on color. Color is an animal I have yet to tame. That is my goal because I've always have been aware of the emotion evoked with color. I'm still toddling in this area, but hope to use it expressively in my work.
    Brian_T Having seen your SB, I am overjoyed that you left a comment in my Book. My hope is that you'll come back with critiques and help me develop better character designs as I develop in this area. Thanks so much for dropping in.
    Hi jake Thank you!

Some master copies of Chinese figure artists. These guys are astounding masters of charcoal work. I am slowly collecting drawings and books from as many of these master draughtsmen as i can get my mitts on. Incredible source of learning.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Figure's 'n' Stuff SketchBook

Charcoal Paintings

BLOG!

"Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless."-Thomas A. Edison

"Convention is craft. Invention is art. In art, knowledge assists invention"-John E. Carlsson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    u made my day

its awesome to see how ur studies pay themselves off in ur fantasy work (like the pantherman).
    When i grow up i want to be just like you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fantastic book you got here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't realize how good you were with color. Very cool, the "alien" florescent lighting really adds the the extra trerrestrial atmosphere.

Lots of great updating since I last visited. All your linework is great. I tell you, that bony cat thing, wow, I wouldn't want to meat, I mean meet that thing in a dark - actually I wouldn't want to meet it anywhere for that matter. I hope it will be happy to reside in your sketchbook.

Panthetaur went straight into my inspiration folder where he belongs. Great concept. Again I love the lines.

Portraits and figure stuff are amazingly inspiring like always. Someday I will rival your skill. Not a matter of if, but when. Better practice hard because I'm going to catch up with you.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, great drawings, i love that chinese figure drawings, can you point me out some of your favourites chinese artists? that'd be great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Another great post...I love them!
    By the way I was wondering with how many pencil do you draw/shade?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi AztcFireFlower. Your SB is very impressive. You block in the figure very well, and your observation skills remind me of my old friend Kidman. I remember drawing the figure like you but, I haven't drawn like that for a long time. I feel like I've lost that skill for a long time and I can't help but to try and remember it again. I guess I'll have to go back to the basics.

One thing I see in your drawings is the sense of patience. I remember the other artists in my class who would jump the gun and try to put in a circle for the head or a cylinder for the body and they wouldn't wait til' they saw the whole figure and plant it in their mind.

Your line quality is also very nice. It seems you carry a lot of weight in that pencil tho. When I drew on newsprint 4 years ago, I remember it being very rough but, the guy next to me drew on it as if he was carving butter. I guess my mentality is the same now as it was back then, hehe... I still have a lot to learn.

Thanks for putting up your sketches! You're an inspiration to many. I'll be checking from time to time to get motivated!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This one and this one are bloody awesome! Great concepts, powerful design elements, especially in the first (actually has me thinking of mentler's abstracts)! And the figure work is impeccable, the value structures are once again so great on the eye.
    But I really think you should have a go at colouring some of those concepts or others like them. There's really strong potential in them IMHO.

keep updating!

- d.

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You take a piece of my heart with your art work miss. Keep on precticing and diving into your imagination. I can't wait to see some more. Thanks

Seth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow. Truly inspirational sketchbook.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 594 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Beautiful drawings !
    Nothing to crit. Those look almost perfect =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have some really great life drawings here, best I've seen so far. I wish I had taken more life drawings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loving the values, really well observed. Im agreeing with other posts about seeing more work in colour.
    -alcian

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, your stuff is awesome!
    I especially love this armoured dog. I can feel every muscle of him. Very well done...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Lewis Thank you. Watcha mean?? I'm still waiting to grow up.....
    maxetormer Me alegra que te gusten mis inventos mutantes.
    sith Thank you!
    Q-Caddlewick Thanks for being supportive. Yer on! Aaaaaaaaaaaannd I'm runnin! See if i don't sic the bug-eyed cat on you.
    Diego Hey, thanks for dropping in once again. Left links in your SB. Thanks
    M.A.L. Thank you. Well, I use 2 pencils; The 2nd is for when the first one breaks from the tremendous, cramping grip. Actually, I use different brands, but generally the charcoal is a B or 2B. Not too soft or too hard. And I use smooth newsprint to draw on.
    shidoken Thank you for your thoughts and comments. I see you have an Art Center background. Taken workshops from Nick Domingo some time back. Learned a heck of alot! He is SO knowledgable and a very cool guy. Hee-ey, funny you can see that.
    Sometimes my effort to control that line sacrifices my pencil points. Carving like butter,.....is that a negative thing????
    Thanks Brendan Am s'perimentin as this posts.
    seth1 Aaaaaawww. So kind of you. Glad you like my work.
    Hey koala.one Thanks for the visit. You've quite a nice SB. Love the characters and the wartpiggies are fun to look at. Nice start on the Prometheus drawing. See how far I get with my version.
    DanielC Always a pleasure to have you come by. Thanks.
    saturniaus Hello Thanks for your comments. It's never to late to start up again. I should know.
    Alcian Thank you. Soon the black and whites will share a spot here.
    gizmodus Thank you. Glad you stopped in. The dog was fun to do. Believe it or not, I had Mucha in mind for some of the design motivation.

Might as well add these initial digifig exercises. These are my first digital figure paint experiments. Did them last summer. I know they are cut outs and floating in space. But, they were more for painting skin tones and blends.

Last edited by AztcFireFlower; January 5th, 2007 at 08:31 PM.

Charcoal Paintings

BLOG!

"Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless."-Thomas A. Edison

"Convention is craft. Invention is art. In art, knowledge assists invention"-John E. Carlsson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A COW: Ethereal Stalker

Have also added another creature from a COW I did some time back: Ethereal Stalker.
    An ethereal stalker also known as The Reaper- It always hovers over those whose hearts are poisoned. When the evil in someones mind becomes a reality, that one becomes marked. If the thoughts do not turn back from hurtful comtemplation and does indeed cause unjust pain to innocents, it will appear to the marked one, and will eat at his thoughts and drive that one to madness and perhaps death by one's own hand, and the Reaper will harvest another unrepetant being. The only shield against it is compassion and unselfish love.

2nd image is an even earlier COW. Don't even remember what the theme was but my concept was a water dragon. Somewhat sloppy in color. Was experimenting with layer mode effects over a grey scale layer in PS. I had fun with this digi.

Last edited by AztcFireFlower; January 5th, 2007 at 06:05 PM.

Charcoal Paintings

BLOG!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great update, it seems your concept stuff is pretty solid too. The digi studies are great, i did a bunch of these in pencil, not that good but it's great for learning.
    Anyways, love to stop by your sketchbook, its a great source of info and inspiration. I'd like to know how old are you? if you don't mind me asking.
    Cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 594 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice figures.
    But the creature's really intriguing me: how can it look so scary and do "good" things at the same time ? =)
    Besides that, i really like the colours and lighting on the hand and the shoulders area.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that reaper is awesome.. i like the light and translucent feel to it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I stumbled onto this Sb just yesterday, obviously since it was very late at night and im in dire need of beautysleep i just stared in awe at your charcoal studies.
    Now its morning and the inspiration i got from looking at ur drawings yesterday made me want to go to the nearest bookstore and buy some books of the female nude so i can practice practice practice and hopefully improve my drawing overall.

Just wanna say top job with ur drawings!!
    This is the first SB i have bookmarked in me browser

Nothing Great Was Ever Accomplished Without Passion
    Sketchbook
    www.doronila.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey ya! What's the name of those Chinese Masters? IS there information I can find on the net? thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great anatomy studies
    that cat is so funny
    this is best one only his left hand is alittel big
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1167872302

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work - those tonal skin studies are great. I personally prefer the cooler toned fontal recline over the more orange cast back view. It seems to me that there could be a wider range of color - more subtle cools, or some colored lighting from another source - (but of course you're working from the actual light you have I'm sure)...anyway - great drawing in here!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AWESOME stuff! These are great, very inspiring! =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Diego Thanks. The photos sets are a great resourse for no model times. Can still work the gesture and design the shapes. Hhhmmmm......let's just say it would be nice to have the energy, big hopes and smaller burdens of a 22 year old.
    DanielC Well, I think something that checks evil has to be respected or rather feared by a mind that lacks a conscience and therefore it's visage must have a frightening impact. The punishment should fit the crime.
    shidoken Thank you. I try.
    Doronila Wow. Definitely flattered by your comments. That's it. Lotsa hard focused study. Grab Loomis while there, if don't already have.
    patdzon Check these links out. Much of my exposure to Chinese masters is through my teachers and ARC. Some books can only get in China.
    Elnady Thanks. I like that cat, too. Expect to continue to improve.
    marc_taro Thanks for visiting. Same here. Preference is for the 1st digifig as well. Good points. Yeah, monchrome orange wasn't the goal. I will blame it on the ref. For next study will keep your points in mind.
    Hey Justin Oaksford Glad you like my sketch book. Thank you for your comments.

Chinese Masters
    Zhang Hongnian http://www.zhangwoolley.com/html/zhang_frameset.html
    Yim Mau Kun http://www.yimaukun.com/english/index2.html
    Han Wu Shen http://www.cordair.com/shen/index.htm
    Folks, check out ARC - http://www.artrenewal.org/ Alot of the Chinese master works are in the living masters section. This is an awesome and extremely inspiring site.

Have decided to add another creature to post #168 since I'm digging up dusty works.

Okay, I realize how much time it takes (type with 2-3 fingers, snails run circles around me) to write and now I'm gonna take a small break and work on some of my stuff so's can have something new to post. Thanks all for every comment .

Last edited by AztcFireFlower; January 8th, 2007 at 01:17 AM.

Charcoal Paintings

BLOG!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This> http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1167689967
    Seems like you are really bringing what you know about figure drawing into your conceptual stuff. Well done!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet I have have seen those refs before good refs bw
    http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1167978934
    http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1167978945
    and DAM good paintings too he, he, he.

Oye, como es que sabes español?

Bw your color looks good...if anything i think it needs more saturation on
    some areas to make it pop, were the local color shift to the shadow,
    I bet you have seen this link before but ill put it up again just in case

http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm

your figures looks solid as hell and your color it shaping up nicely!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey sabe2003 Thank you. I try. I'm inspired to use more graphic elements from your pages!
    maxetormer Soy mexicaner con raices en California.
    Thanks for the reminder. I've read this B4, but, it's never not worth re-reading ((how do ya like my english). However, excellent points and will keep in mind for future.

Last edited by AztcFireFlower; January 10th, 2007 at 02:00 AM.

Charcoal Paintings

BLOG!

Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 81