Sketchbook: AztcFireflower's Figures 'n' Stuff - Page 28

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Judging by contents in SB, am I Dude or Gal?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dude

16 26.23%
  • Gal

45 73.77%
Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,281 Times in 553 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    just dropping by to say hi, E. great stuff as always! one of these days i should drop by and we should go drawing.

c

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This kid in an unnamed inner city once said about a cool graphic design on my skateboard: 'man! - them sh*dz be GOOD!' - I echo that fine and eloquent sentiment on these figures! !!! hope to draw with y'all some time soon as well! - kw

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow the first set of gestures in post 808 your figure appears to be dancing across the page ... im very inspired by your working and have been going to a gesture drawing class and was wondering if you could stop by my sb crit some of my gesture drawings???
    always amazed by the work you do in the time frame you have im always getting bogged down in the details of the model so when you explained your process it helped a bit

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I am with everyone else on how brilliant your sb is..

You are truly an inspiration and you have such an eloquent, patient way of explaining your methods. I've learnt alot. p.s do you teach?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it is our honour and good fortune that u are here posting those beautiful works. They serve both as motivation and a incredible learning reference for me and i am sure many others. All your detailed response are always insightful and full of information. Keep all the beautiful pictures and words coming

-JS Neo

"Choose only one master.. Nature. " Rembrandt

"The only time I feel alive is when I'm painting." Van Gogh
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Fine Art Journey - Feel Free to come in and take a look !!

Sketchbook - Less Update !!

My Art Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by AztcFireFlower View Post
    One day I'll learn anatomy.
    you are so funny and amazing at the same time
    Thank you for the huge inspiration!

waiting for more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Chris, Nice to see you over at LAAFA. Rare occurrence. Hope your project turns out as stress free as possible. :]
    Kevin, LOL. Thank you for that. If not eloquent to the point. And now that you're at Glen's I'm (sigh) not. Hope you're having a blast.
    prsnsweeney Wee! Thank you. Had a look at them again and I'm glad they have a sense of movement all across. Think big. What is the one gesture that is happening. Ask yourself a question every time you sit down to analyze the model.
    Angel So kind. Thank you. Hope to keep learning myself so I can continue to talk about process. Your quote in the sig is funny.
    Yes, I do teach a small (tiny) class near my home. Basic figure lay-in. I also assist-teach one of my mentors for his school as well.
    Mydrako Thank you. I will try my best.
    Shyamshriram Thank YOU for visiting.

I posted this in the Fine art thread, but seems I get more feedback in this thread.

Am delving into this approach for longer studies. Here is one from this Monday. About 4 hours. Rough paper I won't be using again. But, I have been able to push further to this point in less time.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by AztcFireFlower; June 23rd, 2010 at 02:54 AM.
    Figure's 'n' Stuff SketchBook

Charcoal Paintings

BLOG!

"Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless."-Thomas A. Edison

"Convention is craft. Invention is art. In art, knowledge assists invention"-John E. Carlsson

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AztcFireFlower For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another longer QS study. This shouldn't be taking me all of 2 hours to do, but, I'm cutting my time down as I learn more. Used to be that I took longer with a drawing incorporating what I had just learned. So stuff is finally staying in my head. No longer like Homer Simpson where injecting one crayon into the head meant something else had to go.... :]

Attached Images Attached Images  

Charcoal Paintings

BLOG!

"Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless."-Thomas A. Edison

"Convention is craft. Invention is art. In art, knowledge assists invention"-John E. Carlsson

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AztcFireFlower For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I always take great pleasure looking at your stuff.
    Encore!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Do you do any work in color?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this one is wonderful! very nice lines and simple shading. Do you study at LAAFA? - i envy you.

My sketchbook:
    Fumble

My brothers sketchbook:
    Braintree

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hiya, thanks for popping by my SB, always nice

#817 is brilliant, I love the softness of it. Is that due to the paper? I take it it wasn't that fun to draw on. Came out nice though

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very impressive stuff! Man, I envy your pencil shading skills

Thanks
    Thanked 8,369 Times in 1,127 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    wow great work! your sketching is amazing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Phenomenal work as always. Your life drawing is inspiring me to go find some reference right now...

...a perpetual plan for discovery days,where everyone can take part in "purposeless play".
    My Sketch 'em up book!!
    My Blog/portfolio site- purposelessplay.com/blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've no idea how much i'd like to connect a cable to your head and transfer some knowledge hehehe.
    One of my favourite sketchbook's .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi ms acosta. All the work is beautiful, but in the 4 hour #817 you achieved tone in the light areas after saying a few months back that you didn't have time. Very interesting to compare with the next post that is more concentrated on the contour (the edges, etc.) and seems to have been done in 2 hours. They are different, and both are very striking. Is the time limit the main influence on the decisions you make? Probably obvious answer.

Also just wondering... do you have a professional goal in mind? You are already an animator or concept designer and teacher now, yes? Are you aiming more towards fine arts or illustration in the future? Whatever the case, I see great accomplishments to come.

Thanks for posting for so many years now! Glad it's all here for students like me to catch up on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No new images to add today, but I did want to get back to all who kindly posted. tho.
    Mister Dark Thank you for dropping in.
    ebert Thank you.
    TASmith I have in the past. I love oils ad watercolor. Am experimenting with gouache. But won't be showing that mess, just yet. Some understanding of the process is in order.
    Fumble No. My artucation has been ala carte. I've taken a few at LAAFA many years back. But, the school is not a major influence in my drawing skills. I attended courses from artists that I admired and that I basically followed to LAAFA from elsewhere and are now no longer there.
    All I've learned has been from a core few at other places.
    -My main mentor in style is Glen Orbik.
    -Mentor in value and finishing completed figures is Rick Morris.
    -Mentor in analytical figure construction and in character design is Kevin Chen &
    -figure construction and volume I also have been quite influenced by Steve Houston.
    I've had the privilege to take lessons from some of the best teachers here in Southern Cali.
    My most recent process altering experience was in a workshop by David Kassan. An awesome incredibly talented artist. My long drawings will show what I've absorbed from him. So now my list of teachers includes an East Coaster. :]
    I think wherever you are, the information is reachable. I spent a good deal of my learning from photos culled from the internet while also copying Master artists. By copying I mean analyzing their line deciphering the artists thoughts from his work on paper or canvas and then trying to replicate in my own studies from photos what I think the Master was doing. it can be done. Much of my homework was and is in this way.
    Angel Thank you. The roughness of the paper lent a softer texture in the finish.
    It's Arches WC paper. It has a pebbly surface. I get impatient with the amount of fine strokes needed to finely gradate the values, so I sometimes just scribble the value in, which may also lend to the rougher texture.
    I'm still experimenting with papers and techniques.
    alexson thank you. It's a process. More about value control and understanding light than shading carefully. Squinting is the best tool for this. :]
    biglu Thank you.
    silvestri99 Thank you. I'm nudging you to get up and go!!!
    Icecold Haha. Kinda like Kubrick's A.I. at the end. I know a few people i'd like to plug into .
    markw7 Hello and thank you. True. This was done over 2 days, whereas the others were done in one day. 2 hours more makes quite a difference.
    Indeed, time is the influence. Less time, more important what you edit out.
    The look is different as I am prioritizing design and rough compositions in the 2 hour drawing. Line design and shadow pattern design is foremost. The longer pose is more about how to describe light as an atmosphere and mood. Requires much time to put in the right value as I'm trying to match exactly what I see. Two methods. Both valuable for finished works.

I don't know where any of this will lead. I have not really tried to get into concept work although it's of interest. I teach basic lay-in at a small local art school.
    I seem to lean towards gallery work as this employs more the traditional medias I really enjoy. For me illustration is just as fine an art, but the time restrictions are much narrower and unattractive to me. Having said that, I'm preparing for a character project, soon...........

Last edited by AztcFireFlower; June 30th, 2010 at 05:12 AM.

Charcoal Paintings

BLOG!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to AztcFireFlower For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I had no idea Glen Orbik teaches, and you take his class??? That's just not fair.

I don't really need to say how great your drawings are.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Hunter Killer,

Glen's been teaching for over 20 years. I've been his student at the old and the newish old school he's presently at.
    He IS the one who taught me how to see and draw the figure. There were other folks. who no longer teach. that really helped form my skills, among them, Mark Westermoe - Genius with drawing and painting.

I love the Reilly approach. But, I'm slowly diffusing it with other influences. Thanks for visiting & I appreciate our comment.

Charcoal Paintings

BLOG!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can see that you are fighting with the rough paper. That picture would be really good if u can add in more details, and push the darks even further to gain a wider value range. I find the background abit ambiguous. Give me a feeling that she is sitting at the corner of a room. Unless thats what u want, I think you can further define the background so that the overall atmosphere and depth can be more clearly represented. Just my two cents

-JS Neo

"Choose only one master.. Nature. " Rembrandt

"The only time I feel alive is when I'm painting." Van Gogh
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Fine Art Journey - Feel Free to come in and take a look !!

Sketchbook - Less Update !!

My Art Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great drawings as usual i know you said you werent ready to show your colored work but i look forward to when you do i have just started to use color and would love to see your work... i saw a few colored works at the front of your sketch book and would love knowing what sort of painting influences you have had and what inspires you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice rendering I'm impressed

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your artwork is fantastic. I'm amazed at how much you know about the human form. I hope one day I can say that at least no something to a smaller degree as your work. Very inspiring thread. Great job!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The 4 hour study looks great - it's even more impressive considering the time spent on it. Value structure is fantastic. Think there might be one or two edges in there that are too hard, but then I'm a sucker for softer edges.

hope you are keeping well!

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1275295825 - AAh the figure on the bottom right makes me much happy ^_^

lovely stuff!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the paper info, I might have to experiment myself I found a local life drawing class that isn't in work time! I'll be dropping by to steal some inspiration from you

I think the softer approach definitely works for your style with the life drawing, the scribbled values work well alongside the finer rendered parts, reminds me of Da Vinci's chalk sketches.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    amazing drawings wonderful plz post more

the bedouin painting is great

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still amazing works i see

Choose to live a life that matters.

* My sketch book : http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=117461

**My finished work : http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...38#post1632938
    O.K now let`s ROCK

Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 LastLast
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook