Sketchbook: AztcFireflower's Figures 'n' Stuff - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Judging by contents in SB, am I Dude or Gal?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dude

16 26.23%
  • Gal

45 73.77%
Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: AztcFireflower's Figures 'n' Stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Real great rendering. I like how you can pull off some large areas with a flat tone.
    Does that girl really have that much hair? O_O

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    more please !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i second that more please!, really diggin the life drawings, i love the shadows and contrast, really great work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks to everyone for checking my thread out.

mikehan I copy quick-sketches from accomplished artists as it warms up my hand and my brain remembers the paths when I apply it in a life drawing class. Master copies are the way to go to develop an understanding of style and approach. I still need this as a way to prepare me for most drawing sessions.
    Actually the model had a longish face and a small mouth. I try to be as accurate as possible, tho, I may be off a little. I appreciate the honest comment.
    YinYangi Listing Bard Sajjettu Thank you for your comments Have been trying to bring up my present skills. Need to refresh on proportions and anatomy big time. I totally want to apply what skills I have to concept work and complete some finished portrait pieces. Thanks for the encouragement.
    I do have some oil painting studies. When I scan them they are also going up.
    DeathChalupa yeeeeaaaaaahh...........maybe her hair chubbed out a little more than really was there. Just went with the flow and form for fun.
    Liam fromRed wareagle Thank you for dropping in and the support.
    I will accomodate shortly.

Figure's 'n' Stuff SketchBook

Charcoal Paintings

BLOG!

"Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless."-Thomas A. Edison

"Convention is craft. Invention is art. In art, knowledge assists invention"-John E. Carlsson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great job on the portraits and life drawings. Keep it up!

http://www.sakuhatakka.com/ - image portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Quik Figs

Hey Spats Thanks for checking my thread out. Here B som moh
    A few quik-sketches, about 5-10 mins.
    The last two about 20 mins.

Attached Images Attached Images                      
    Last edited by AztcFireFlower; November 16th, 2006 at 04:25 PM.

Charcoal Paintings

BLOG!

"Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless."-Thomas A. Edison

"Convention is craft. Invention is art. In art, knowledge assists invention"-John E. Carlsson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yay, that's some REALLY nice work.

i attend figure drawing classes myself at the moment, i like your constructive way of drawing and your values, overall really great studies!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OMG! Are you a girl?! hehe...not that it matters, but I thought I was talking to a guy.
    Esmeralada Acosta?

WOW, you're going to LAAFA. I have dreams of learning there so bad, That their schedule has been my wallpaper for months. You're basically living my dream. Are you in their Atelier or 3 month studies?

I think that second to the last model guy....I think I recognize him from a Kevin Chen thread.

They're really gorgeous studies.
    Inspiring! I'll draw some myself...Thanks!

Oh yeah, nice questions Patdzon, and keep asking, I don't know what to ask. But I'm learning from your back-and-forth.
    I would like to know more about the Zorn method.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really nice works here.. I really enjoyed looking at your paintings... keep up the fantastic work...

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Bard, yeeah, I'm a gurl
    Been one as long as I can remember
    Also, stupid typo that got away from me: My names Esmeralda.
    Actually, because of finances I stopped going to LAAFA. It's all about workshops for now (at the moment looking locally). My first instructor for painting in oils was Sergio Sanchez, a talented and excellent teacher. My current instructors, I had before LAAFA. Guy's by the name of Aaron Westerberg and Rick Morris. Awesome teachers. So, I was real happy when they came to teach at LAAFA, because the school is closer to home. But my true introduction to excellent figure drawing was at California Art Institute, from Glen Orbik and Mark Westermoe, FANTASTIC, AMAZING illustrators both. You can Google Glen. Mark is a genius figure designer and painter! If not familiar with Glen, he taught Jeff Watts, of Watts atalier, another fantastic figure draughtsman. In between, I had a few sessions with Steve Huston (Google him, too) and Charles Hu. Charles has taken over Kevin Chen's Figure class at Gnomon. They both helped me see forms in the round and to understand gesture design better. Anyway, that's my basic drawing lineage.

Thank you Vigostar, Have seen your character designs. Truly, great sense of design and use of negative space.

Three more finished studies, about 3 hours minimum each. The last one of Elizabeth is my best and favorite of my finished life drawings.

Last edited by AztcFireFlower; November 19th, 2006 at 02:34 AM.

Charcoal Paintings

BLOG!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to AztcFireFlower For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    those new ones are fantastic. i looked again at all of your works, i like how you handle the transition between light and shade, which is darker than your shadow.
    where do you study?

to answer your question: no, it was no class assignment, i simply wanted to try some things out, and i think i will now move on and draw the figures in greater detail. let's see what turnes out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    beautiful work that last one, Elizabeth, reminds me of the drawings done by Loomis. 8 hours spent on that one? wish I had that patience to do something like that.

Sketchbook :: Blog

Trying is the first step towards failure.

Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Truly magnificent figure studies. 4 stars for you, my friend.

Deselect
    עקיבא
    http://sixthirteendesign.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very,very nice figure studies, I have to disagree with Deselect, it has to be 5 stars.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Indeed kick-arse figure studies. Not much I can crit here . Nice portraits too. Post more .

Will appreciate critique anywhere, anytime .
    My Ramblings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Much as I love drawing the figure, my beliefs don't allow me to do any full blown nudes, so unfortunately I could only look at a few of your excellent pieces. Sorry.

As great as your figure drawing skills are (and they are amazing) your rendering is what completely blows me away. Your ability to use the (pencil?) lines in such a way that the viewer isn't even aware that they are there, it is enough to cause envy. Please tell me youv'e been at this a long time, because if you've only been drawing for a few years, you are going to make me go and commit sepuku.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    saa, Thank you. I studied for awhile at a couple of illustration geared schools here in Los Angeles. No formal program, but consistently took classes for over 10 years under some fine instructors. Here is the first teacher I had that taught me how to observe and draw figures. .http://www.orbikart.com/ His paintings don't reproduce very well, here, but you can see his level of skill is exceptional.
    Thanks Old Noobie Yeah, 8 hours is actually a joy for me because I usually don't get more than 2.5 hours time in a class to do finished studies. I try and approach my drawings as I would paintings, although I am still learning about varying edges.
    Deselect Thank you for the rating . Will continue to post my progress with renewed enthusiasm.
    VeSeljak Most appreciate the star rating . Truly this support adds more energy to my goals. Thank you.
    Oddo Thank you . Hope you continue to check in and find the new stuff interesting.
    Q-Caddlewick Nice to see you visit again. Curious as to your view of nudes, but I respect your sensibilities. Thank you for your kind comments. I use sharpened charcoal pencils on smooth newsprint for my studies. I first studied many years ago under Glen Orbik (his website above). Animation work took over my life for over 9 years, and the studies went out the window. My priority is to continue where I left off prior and bring myself up to a greater level of skill in the fine arts than I've ever had before. Hope this thread will at some point reflect that.

Here are studies about 2 years old. Was immensely interested in faces and capturing attitude more than anything during these studies. The last two are studies in composing tone as well. I know bodies could use stronger construction and descriptive forms. Still learning.

Last edited by AztcFireFlower; November 22nd, 2006 at 03:48 AM.

Charcoal Paintings

BLOG!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff as always.
    My only suggestion would be to make sure you make your line work underneath less dark; there are a few places where the strong line is distracting and adding an extra two-dimensionality to it.
    Other than that, top notch stuff!

Deselect
    עקיבא
    http://sixthirteendesign.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 594 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Bonjour Aztcfireflower!
    I thought i could return the favor since you posted in my (old) sketchbook.
    You're doing some very nice studies, instructive and well executed.
    But i got a question, what kindof tool do you use to get this render. The paper seems smooth and very thin. Is it from the Biefang brand ?
    ... and it looks like you're studying at Watts.. am i wrong ? =)
    Anyway, keep posting these, i'm learning alot from them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, great book here!
    You have some really astounding skills,
    good draftsmanship in these!
    Like the approach you have with your shading too.
    stunning work, have some stars girl!

ciao!

- d.

Last edited by Brendan N; November 22nd, 2006 at 06:00 PM.
    Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really really great book, i really like those pencil/charcoal study's/drawings!

and i really love those portrait study's!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amazing thread, i really enjoyed your drawings and your tips about the limited palette. Thank you.
    I really love this one http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1163792614
    Hope you keep postin' and sharing your art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm getting genuinly frustrated. I like to offer helpful comments when I post in other's threads but I can't see a bloody thing to crit right now. You need to make some mistakes just to give me something to say.

I do not look at or draw fully naked people because of the principles of my faith. The Bible says not to look on people's nakedness, so that's what I believe. If you look through my sketchbook you will see that there are no full blown nudes in there. I do use a basic nude for study, sort of a spandex model if you will. The figures in your latest post are not problematic for me at all and I enjoyed looking at them in detail. I do not have a problem with people who do use nudes. I respect their beliefs just as much as I want them to respect mine. I realize that these convictions will make it difficult for me as I attempt to enter art school, but I am confident that God will bless my work more if I follow his laws than if I compromise. Again, I'm not being judgmental of anyone who doesn't share these beliefs. They are the rules that I follow for myself and I do not try to force them on anyone else. I hope this explains what you wanted to know without giving more information than you wanted.

On your latest update, I like the first one's rendering the best. Something about the barely noticable lines in the shading is appealing to me. The second one has more dramatic lighting, but I still like to look at the first one better. It has a clean look, the first one that is. Hey! What do you know, I just noticed something on the third one to crit! I'm seeing some outlining, especially on the legs. This takes away from the realism a bit.

I know that these were older pieces but I assumed that you want comments on them anyway.

Later.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Q-Caddlequick
    I'm getting genuinly frustrated. I like to offer helpful comments when I post in other's threads but I can't see a bloody thing to crit right now. You need to make some mistakes just to give me something to say.
    LOl. the same problem as mine.
    Great thread I must say. 5 stars.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man, what amazing figures!
    Love the core shadows, the expressions, I couldn't possibly pick favorites.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, your figure studies are just stunning. I really like your loose sketches, but the more rendered stuff is beautiful. Keep at it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am totally impressed of your work! the renderings are kickass
    btw. thanks for the tips I totally agree. Because of guys like you I have to go on

when you get to hell, tell them I sent you - you`ll get a group discount

My Sketchbook

kischisart.com
    available for freelance

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fantastic studies, the contrast of your lines with the smood shadows look great.
    cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn dude, hella nice figure work. And I hate the word Hella, but in your case it's appropriate cuz this stuff is crazy good! Especialy those fully rendered figure drawings. you can totally recognize those people.

feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh
    -----------------------------------------
    ART - MUSIC - BLOG - YouTube - IMDb - SKETCHBOOK

My old Sketch Thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very impressive work, but i'm more impressed with the way you offer helpful advice and answer questions in detail. I learned a lot just reading through some replies! Keep this up and this will be one of the best places to learn on CA

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 71