Sketchbook: AztcFireflower's Figures 'n' Stuff - Page 17
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Judging by contents in SB, am I Dude or Gal?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dude

16 26.23%
  • Gal

45 73.77%
Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Thread: AztcFireflower's Figures 'n' Stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really great stuff here! I really like the drawings. Are they in charcoal or conte (or neither)? Also, i was just wondering how big each of these figures are.

Keep it up!

Sketchbook.

"Art is the proper task of life. "
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Maestro Andres is offline It's just a nickname, still too far from being one... Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are great life drawings study. Must keep an eye on this for inspiration. Sorry I can't give any crit yet, but just keep it up!

SKETCHBOOK SUPPORTGROUP #48
    Maestro Andres | CouchPotato | Mono2k5 | Sawa | 0shade0

"The aim of figure drawing is never to copy the model but to analyze it." - sfa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Brendan You know, you have an eye and understanding of basic painting principles. My teacher gets on me for the same thing. Definitely aware of this. And I'm so glad that my values are not evoking crits, which means I'm gaining on the skills I want to refine. Can always count on you for excellent feedback. Oh, and hopefully, you may see a difference and large improvement in my approach to figures. Really getting into some
    incredible anatomical construction information from the amazing, one and only super nice Kevin Chen. Will post those as i see some decent stuff appear.
    kveye Thank you! and uh....Race you
    Leo Snow Thank you. I'm flattered. I'm hoping i can one day paint pixels as proficiently and nicely as you.
    TOOLED Thank you much for stopping in.
    number777uk HI. I do enjoy and find the forms better with a strong directional light source. If it's 2 sources they have to be placed at different heights to avoid confusing forms. But, the last few workshops, the light has been natural from above. I do still see a soft core which I put down as a stronger stroke than what I see. The core is definitely a design tool. It helps in describing the form of the muscle. But, it also is important you know what those shapes on the body are. That's what makes it simpler to invent some of the cores. For me, tho, I am still using visual refrence form the model, even in diffused situations. Hope that answers your question.
    p.s. Also see my answer to Mikehan.
    max! Thank you my friend. Thanks for looking in here these appreciated occasions.
    toastertoaster Thank you for the words of support. Some new things will be tried for this year. Hope everyone can nortice the improvement.
    BludHund I'm on it. Taking this awesome figure construction class that is putting new tools in mind for really 3Ding that figure with pencil. This year all new figure stuff.
    joaKimArt Thank you for your visit. I plan on never letting up on my studies.
    mikehan! Yeah, it's been bugging me in the long poses alot, so am trying to change that.
    For quick sketch, I use all that stuff you mentioned. Not either/or.
    This is the lay-in: I start with the head, use that as a base measurement, mid line gesture axis, plumb lines and straights to find rest of and to correct angles, think of basic shapes, circle for rib, box for pelvis, cylinders for limbs. In addition, I learned to use 2D geometry to simplify the design silhouette of the masses; C and S curves as well as straight lines applied to achieve this. THEN.....I look at shadow patterns and cores to furthur explain the masses. The less time we have for drawing, the more I use geometry and big shapes.
    You know, this is what I learned and have used for years, but now, I'll be employing new concepts to solidify and really try to create a solid 3D perception of the body on paper.
    We'll see, huh?
    agelaos Thank you! Flattered I am. It's all mileage. Consistent attack of drawing issues, and you can't help but grow in skill.
    MonkeYoakum You funny. Thank you, I will.
    nethus So enjoy all the feedback, Thank you for stoppng by to comment.
    tytseng Hi! Thanks for stopping in the say hello. Thanks for your nice comments. Live figure studies are my passion. Kevin's class is so interesting and creative. Having the best time and struggling with new concepts, but I love it.
    nonie Thank you!
    enthombed Hello, Hope your troubles are smoothed out. As long as people like yourself keep visiting, I'll keep posting.
    RandAlThor Thank you. Still learning this stuff, flattered you can use them. As for gender, I'm a 300 pound orc.
    LifeWon'tWait Thank you. I use charcoal pencils I sharpen by hand. Ritmos, Generals, Lyras are great, sometimes use Conte's when i feel more confident (can't erase). The figure are generally from 5 to 7 inches big. If I do value studies, I stay on the small side.
    Maestro Andres Thanks for dropping by. Can't ever stop. More to come.

I've been keeping busy. I will post what's left of last years drawings and then post all new work using new concepts and incorporating a different approach.
    Much of my time will be off line as I focus on exercises and lotsa studies.

Here's my last set of 2007 quik-sketches. Tony is model for some of the tonal studies.

Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by AztcFireFlower; February 26th, 2008 at 04:49 PM.
    Figure's 'n' Stuff SketchBook

Charcoal Paintings

BLOG!

"Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless."-Thomas A. Edison

"Convention is craft. Invention is art. In art, knowledge assists invention"-John E. Carlsson

Thanks
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 594 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    These look great Aztc !
    Just curious but, where'd your paintings go ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    love your work, nice mix of graphic shapes and obvious understanding of form. also yummy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really fantastic drawings! Always enjoy your work.

Really looking forward to seeing the new concepts and different approach.

Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi all,

DanielC, Catofglass, krossj Thank you! Daniel - Do you mean, why have I not posted more paintings? Well, my studies have gone in several directions. I am studying construction in a more focused application, but I am also taking an academic type class on drawing and painting. Much much slower going, than ala prima. Will eventually post some oil studies, probably next term.

My main focus in life is art.
    My Goal this year: Get better, get a profession that uses those better skills, enjoy what I do, earn from what I enjoy, whatever that materializes to be. If I can do fine art and survive, that would be awesome, but if not, I'll accept a different way, I just know that it has to use the skills I've studied hard for. I will die a slow death in any other capacity. I've tried retail for a year and a half. Too old to deal with THAT level of sh*#: Managerial slave- ittude, floor staff (was me) only to make the "upper" cronies look good is just unacceptable to me. Despite heavy politics, I never felt lowly or unappreciated in the studios. Enough rant!

This is my last set of 2007 quick sketches. After this is all new sets for 2008, with approach as taught by the incomparable Kevin Chen. It may take me awhile to have drawings to show as I absorb new ideas. Soon as I get a decent set, they will begin to appear.
    Also, am thinking of creating a new concept sketchbook thread very soon. Trying to jump-start that creative side.

Fantastic Sarah with her amazing poses, are this last batch.

Attached Images Attached Images              
    Last edited by AztcFireFlower; February 26th, 2008 at 04:51 PM.

Charcoal Paintings

BLOG!

"Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless."-Thomas A. Edison

"Convention is craft. Invention is art. In art, knowledge assists invention"-John E. Carlsson

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AztcFireFlower For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really digging you last couple of updates. Really inspiring stuff, as always.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle
    BLOG
    SKETCHBOOK
    GALLERY

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chromosome For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahh! It has been way to long. Missed so much. I guess thats what happens when you are gone. Your still amazing as ever/ The the fluid but extremely confident strokes and the bonus of having a lively model makes these drawings interesting and fun to look at. I hope every thing goes to plan and your art goals succeed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome studies!
    looking at 'em makes me feel i need to do my own...lots of em...you're so much cooler*sighs*

keep posting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fantastic! I've been waiting for you to post
    more of your figures for inspiration. You draw with
    amazing confidence and control. Wonderful!

I should be drawing...not surfing CA...

My sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    God damn me !!**go`s back to sketching** Nice work

Choose to live a life that matters.

* My sketch book : http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=117461

**My finished work : http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...38#post1632938
    O.K now let`s ROCK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This stuff is so great... you make it look so easy!

Sketchbook.

"Art is the proper task of life. "
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your studies look great. I really like how you are 'filling' the dynamic lines with the body details. Great!

Mike

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha! you know, i was thinking the very same thing, cause i totally recognized one of the models in your second(?) post (1st page of this thread), i think his name was charlie. and your style looks like you were trained at art center, which is where i am now. gotta love making connections through naked people

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 449 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    A little peak in your sb always makes me want to practice, practice and then some more! I wish I didn't have to sleep, I'm too motived right now to go to bed! As has been pointed out, you make it look so easy. Ah well, at least it makes a good goal Fantastic stuff, can't wait for more.

sketchbook / sketchblog / deviantart / facebook / twitter / e-mail

"assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - cicero

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your drawings are great! What type of pencils do you use by the way?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorenzo Zandri View Post
    Your drawings are great! What type of pencils do you use by the way?
    That and, do you begin your drawings by blocking in the central mass with a piece of charcoal then work your way around with the charcoal pencil? Or do you lay it out with a gesture line and simple masses to delineate head torso etc then block in?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Always a pleasure to stop by and see your studies, must say i learn a lot just by watching them.
    Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello! It has been too long since I have stopped by. Your figures are as graceful as ever! I can't wait to visit again when I am not in the middle of photography class so that I can study these more closely. This is good reference material!

How have you been? Has your life been as hectic and busy as mine?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow the last updates are really good, those are the kind of drawings that got me into drawing, thanks a lot for sharing

If you could stop by my sb i would be honored

Want to help a "artist" in need, visit my sketchbook

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    love the movement of your sketchs! a

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice updates need to bookmark this thread in my house when i solve the problems of my pc, i just can visit in my work because my pc is broked.

Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Always great figures!
    Let's see some hands and feet (and something longer, finished?)
    You are in the editorial btw: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...t=92314&page=3
    Keep on inspiring

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love these studies.
    Where did you learn this.

=================================
    Sketchbook
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=120761

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lovely, lovely Rhthym, Madame. Come back to us and show us your beautiful drawings!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you all. Reading everyones comments filled with kind words is one of many things that keeps me going with this thread. Have been literally back to the drawing board, pushing past the limits of my skills. Have been unable to attend much in the way of classes, and having the choice of painting or drawing to expand on, I choose drawing. And I do miss painting in oils. My training core is within the Riley system of approach. Recently, I attended a 3 day workshop with Steve Huston that I think has resolved several issues that has plagued me for a long time.I am re-enthused with drawing because of the re-aquaintance with an idea behind an approach. What this has done is given me so much more tools to work with in designing the human body. Soon I will post the new drawings along with a specific discussion.

Chrome Gracias. Your comments are especially appreciated.
    seth1 So many kind words. I hope that the new sessions with several teachers will show in the coming pics i'll post soon. Thanks for the encouragement.
    kveye Do it!! It's all mileage.
    galen It's certainly nice to hear such comments. I always fear my skills will backslide and disappear, so I try and stay consistent with the life work, even if it's only once a week. Just gotta do it as a routine.
    Amir the night wolf Thanks!
    LifeWontWait Something to be said about repetition. It does feel easier if your figure practice from pics or in life drawing sessions is consistent.
    Dynamike Thanks. My sense is to always add what explains the figure furthur, once the gesture is laid in. The quikest way is shadow shapes or an emphasis on cores depending on the angle of the light. The perspective you have of the model can also decide the treatment. And lastly the time you have to play with.
    Catofglass That's him - Charlie. Didn't attend Art Center, actually, but thanks. I know that campus has had some incredible teachers.
    AsaB You have a facility that gives you a solid core to work from. It's focusing on one thing, resolving it and then conquering the next. I don't boubt you'll be churning out some great stuff.
    Lorenzo Zandri Hey, thanks for stopping by. I use charcoal pencils. Brands I use are Primo, Art Alternative, and an assorment of Generals and Contes. The 1st two are my preferred. Usually in B's or medium softnessessess.
    Jas0n 0n a Bike I usually begin with the head. That's my base measurement. AND I lay in a gesture (longest line, where-ever that is, but usually) of the head-neck-torso to leg and/or arms. And build on top of this with simple shapes for ribcage, pelvis, etc. Will have some new drawings in which I will explain a bit of this furthur.
    Diego Thank you. Hope the new stuff fits the bill.
    Chance Good to see your comments here. Sounds like school is really expanding your brain. That's great. Photography is a close second passion for me (even if my Nikon has a layer of dustbunnies "protecting" it). Yeah, .........my life has been quite busy for several reasons. Part of my attention has been involved in landscaping and recreating a new living space for me and my mom inside and out of the house. Threr are some changes that we need to make to help us heal. Designing a home is another good creative outlet for me. But, I've also been attending some specific drawing classes to push myself out of the rut I'm in. My drawings were becoming too "habitual" and I needed to push my knowledge and skills much furthur. Since thees workshops and classes life drawing is brand new again.
    lacadam Much appreciated. I will definitely if I haven't already.
    toubab Movement is very important to me of late. Gesture has taken a priority in my lay-ins in an effort to bring and keep life in my drawings. Thank you for your comment.
    enthombed Hope your PC is working now. Thanks always for visiting.
    Sonaj Yes! Next on the current agenda! Hands and feet are my final frontier. Finishing stuff is so hard. But, it will happen (someday).
    And thanks again for posting my thread for the editorial.
    HumanNature6115 Thanks for stopping in. I learned from many teachers. Frank Riley taught a system that became my core approach to drawing. I took many classes at the California Art Institute and have followed some of my teachers to other schools, where I continued this approach. It's basically a West Coast style of drawing, very much an illustration design approach.
    Mtchell Hey M, Thanks for visiting. Most kind. I will, I am! Soon to post some drawings that are in a sorta transitional phase of design concepts I've recently relearned.
    Tell me what ya think, when I do. Did you get over to Watts?

Charcoal Paintings

BLOG!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to AztcFireFlower For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i love these sketches.

Sketchbooks, Wacom, and Art Forum - Thread 104785">Moftah's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Give use more Art

O.K now let`s ROCK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a question How did you disable your poll here ? ThanX

O.K now let`s ROCK

Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 81