Sketchbook: AztcFireflower's Figures 'n' Stuff - Page 10
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Judging by contents in SB, am I Dude or Gal?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dude

16 26.23%
  • Gal

45 73.77%
Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: AztcFireflower's Figures 'n' Stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DAMN GREAT STUFF !!
    Especially those oil portraits and figures studies are.....WHOA !! Thanx for sharing.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome Gibson studies

Make a sketchbook happy, feed it a tip to improve!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85628

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SLACKER!

*runs away at a frightning speed, arms in the air*

- d.

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those Gibsons are really cool, you quite nailed the expressions on em. Tried to copy just one several times. Hah, good excersize :]

Links
    Scetch Book
    AnimationMentor Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    where are you at? We need an update!
    /tigermilk

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and here i was all excited. yup...update time!

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"
    http://www.cognitionstudio.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 594 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hello!
    It's been awhile since last time i came here.
    The pencils are looking great.
    The shading is pretty interesting, looks like you're using very few strokes.
    Sorry i don't have anything to crit, those faces studies are beautiful.
    Keep posting lots !!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm lovin' your latest updates. Those paintings are just so amazing it's ridiculous.
    Nice creatures! The first one has a nice head design and good anatomy. It seems to me like a working animal, something that would pull along small carts or carriages or something. Second creature looks good as well; kind of a cross between a snake and a large cat, eh? Nice markings. From its mouth design, I imagine it as a creature that kills its prey with one well-placed bite, probably on the throat, and then swallows it whole, as it doesn't seem to have any chewing teeth. The third creature also has a nice design and plausible anatomy.
    As for the last creature, it seems more graphical than realistic. It looks cool, but I have a hard time imagining it moving, as its limbs seem very stiff and exaggeratedly angular.
    Anyway, just thought I'd give my thoughts and interpretations of your creatures, like you often do for me.
    We needs some new updates!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey hey hey... had to come stop by and see you... because it's been so long and I've been terribly busy and introverted as of late. Looking good. I really like those mechanical pencil studies above.

What is the minimum amount of time in your experience... I should be satisfied with getting a finished greyscale figure study done in? I've been kind of trying to work my way back toward value stuff... just started hitting the model sessions consistently again and it's all kind of daunting.. though I definitely feel like I have more of an eye for shape and design after the break though...

Took a close look at your designs. I really like the 3rd one down... the fishy dragon guy. You already said that you felt they were flat... I'm pretty sure you know some good ways to fix that but I thought I would offer one just cuz I'm nitpicky. This could be a design choice... BUT I think you should think more about the way you shape the ends of whiskers and protrusions such as claws, horns, tentacles etc. A lot of times if they are very pointy; as a drawing, they work against you because they tend to flatten things out a lot. Even if it's sharp... it would help to round and make it slightly more blunt around the end. Of course if you're going for something graphic... it's always a balancing act.

The other thing I noticed about the designs was that you could rethink the detail gradation on them a bit. I think part of the reason why that third water fish dragon guy design works so well... is because he has a VERY nice breakup of big, medium, small shapes... that's pleasing to look at. I like the graphic quality of the bottom one, but he has sort of an overflow of medium shapes and small shapes... but there's no big shape. The top one is working pretty well... BUT not quite as well as the third one IMO. I hope my rambling helps

I realllllllyyyy want you to do a bunch of thumbnails... I wanna see your brainwaves emptied all over a piece of paper for us to look at. pretty please?

now.... I'm going to go absorb the power from your drawings some more.
    cheers,
    ~Ben

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great to see your work, kicking myself for not noticing it earlier.

"absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and keep what is essentially your own." - Bruce Lee

Bojee's Monkey Brain
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=29869&page=54

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bhanu Yeah my studies have come from teachers that have a traditional American illustration background -Loomis, Cornwell, Wyeth, Leyendecker, Gibson, Christy, Rockwell etc. That is my background as far as traditional training. Glad to hear that it shows. Just try and kick my boot. Dare ya....but not too much.
    Hi Tigermilk Been drawing forever, since I was a kid with a crayon. Formal - about 10-15 years in and out of different kinds of classes. I'm back....sorta....
    Thanks for stopping by and for the nudge.
    mustafacetin Thank you. That's one way to look at it. Or being OCd about it. Can't stop or you backslide instantly. I know. Thank you for visiting.
    Helzon, my friend, Thanks for the much appreciated support. Thanks for the star power. I much appreciate all the input. Any lil' bit helps. Yep, I'm hearing and seeing where the designs could be better. Never stop the feedback, I need it.
    maxetormer Hola! You are so kind with your comments. The 1st one you mentioned is the Steven Assael influence. He has an amazing control of color while hurling and smushing paint all over the place. Freakin talented painter. If you haven't already, look up his website. More neet stuff there.
    Brendan Ya bratt ......Appreciate the nudges. There is always that balance to be aware of. If I er, it's on the side of too many straights. When I lose confidence I get quite graphic in description. Have to work to keep the figs flowing.
    The last critter definitely needs re-working. I love all the feedback. Will eventually go back and overhaul that one with more thought. Thanks for stopping in, I know you're busy with school and see you're producing some very cool stuff.
    Hey Q Love your insight. Thanks for the kind words. Didja get some Gibson practice in?
    Hello Mentler Thank you and appreciate very much an expereincd draughtsman coming by to check out my book. Thanks for the support.
    Longxiang LOL. That's too funny. I'm honored. Yay! Glad I was able to inspire and help a bit.
    Rodrigo Que tal. Thank you. I realllllyyy want to continue those studies because it 's a great way to loosen up and refine the pencil strokes.
    Hi Diego Hey! Thank you. Harold Speed could draw some sweet figures. Flattered by the comparison. Funny, I'm currently reading the drawing and Painting books he wrote. He's very inspiring and his advice opens up a precise way to look at and think about what you're depicting.
    Hey redehlert Thanks for visiting and for the supportive nudge. Am trying to use the traditional skills for imaginative projects. Will continue to rewire the processes in me brain til it works!
    Don-key LOl Thanks always for the support. I like what you're doing over there on other side of the world. Keep drawing and take one of those sweet drawings to a finish! 'Kay!
    shyamshriran Hello and thank you for the kind words. appreciate the stop by.
    Pigeonkill Thank you. A must do for everyone because the experience is invaluable.
    DanielC Thank you for coming by to say hello. Know that your skills are amazing and inspiring. Don't ever quit. Yr'too good.
    Moai Of course. Crits alwas welcome and apreciated. That's what I want to hear and i know you have a more scientific interest in plausibility of creatures, so your opinion is taken in. Thanks for the take on the critters. Leaves me much to think about when inventing these animals. I absolutlely agree with all the comments on the last critter. Yours and everyones.
    Hello Ben Glad to hear from you. Major thanks on your thoughts on the creatures. I love the advice. Ideas and points will be incorporated on the next run of critters. I tend to draw graphic initially and then flesh it out later. I start this way in life drawing too. Still finding that balance of contruction and rythym. Quite interesting to see what different results other approaches produce. S'why I'm here to absorb other ideas.
    Thumbnails??? Yeah, that's coming up. My enviros are so bad, tho. Want to work some of the obviously dorkyier stuff out of my system, 1st. Also need time...........
    Bojee Hey you've got some nice life studies going on. Thank you for stopping by.

My life is not very conducive to personal growth right now. Am constantly fighting for mental and personal time & space of my own for my own studies. Very difficult to stay on course, but I am staying it. Unfortunately, I will not be posting my work very often. Not to say that I'm not producing, 'cause I am working to pull up to the next level. So I will post, and cruise around to other peoples threads but very occasionally, at this point.
    At the moment, am also waiting to see if I can get a job that has nothing to do with drawing and somewhat to do with animation, which is a large part of my work history. My big passion is and always will be drawing, painting and concept design, but one has to do what they can to survive and I need out of the hole I'm in. So that said, Thanks to every single one of you amazing and generous folks for having come by to support and comment on what's in these pages.

So, here is a feeble update. Just more figs. form life. Sorry there are no critters. Just too slow to finish my invented critters these days. Seems, when I really sit down to study, alot is spent reading and studying other artists and my progress slows waaaay the hell down as I absorb new information. But, I ain't quitting!!!
    These are the latest, 'bout 3 days ago, quick sketches. Yep. 4 months of no life work shows, clearly in rougher, unsteady lay-in and line work. Hope by the end of the semester it will look a little tighter and more confident.

All 5 Minute poses. I'm abit rusty:

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by AztcFireFlower; February 22nd, 2007 at 03:21 AM.
    Figure's 'n' Stuff SketchBook

Charcoal Paintings

BLOG!

"Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless."-Thomas A. Edison

"Convention is craft. Invention is art. In art, knowledge assists invention"-John E. Carlsson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I did these practice critters for a character test hundreds of others applied for as well. Didn't submit. Heard about the test with too little time left for me to finish.
    Anyway, large one is an angry mage and the one in back, a simple warrior. Still getting comfortable with fig. invention.
    The next image is, surpisingly fitting for this concept. Something I drew a long time ago for another project.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by AztcFireFlower; February 22nd, 2007 at 03:50 AM.
    Figure's 'n' Stuff SketchBook

Charcoal Paintings

BLOG!

"Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless."-Thomas A. Edison

"Convention is craft. Invention is art. In art, knowledge assists invention"-John E. Carlsson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool stuff, i love how the latest creatures have a lot of energy to them ,nice work!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A BIT RUSTY?!?!
    Just trying to make us feel bad haha. These last ones are awesome - as Rod said the rat people have a cool energy to them, love them.
    The gestures are damn great, I need to learn to do that.

Now let's see more please!

- d.

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stuff is still looking great to me! Nice creature designs, and those Gibson studies have so much energy in them. Great stuff!

bhanu is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    aiiya great sketches, can I take the dare back i really dont think i can mess with ya. ................nah I know I can.
    its really good to see the mixture of creativity and imagination.the fluidity of strokes is good as ever.the lineweight in the last studies looks a bit wobbly unlike most of your studies.
    Great inspirational thread this is.
    take care and keep drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love your gestures! I can't seem to get that much down in 5 minutes.

To answer your question, I've been painting digitally for a while and just started using traditional media last year. I think we use the same reference site, with the girl with the curly red hair and pointy nose in most of the photos.

@work is offline I've never bitten anyone ! ......... so far ;-) Level 2 Gladiator: Ordinarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's a delight to browse through your sketchbook. You seem to have a great comprehension of human anatomy along with skill to depict it. I think you should write a tutorial like Loomis or Hogarth did and give it a contemporary feel and look. I'm sure it would become a bestseller in its genre. Keep sharing your work with us !

MY SKETCHBOOK
    "I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it." : Pablo Picasso

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll take a bucket of rust and a side of crappy from you any day Aztc!
    God you know how to make the female figure sumptuous and delightful, And these are just the warm ups.
    I know the creatures are a bit of a sticking point with you right now, and won't crit hard on em. You're still trying to get your feet under you and need space to explore and run right now. But just one little nudge, if you use a light gestural sketch of the skeleton beneath (nothing fancy, sticks and spheres) i think in a sense it will help you in terms of being able to play with the pose and really show off the character without committing before you need to. Not that im any great shakes in that field. If you're working digitally you can knock out a ton of gestures in no time and pick and play with the ones you like.
    Just a thought. Pure suggestion.
    Can't wait to see more, but as always will wait patiently.
    My best to you and luck in finding the time and the mojo to crank out some killer work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

vigostar is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your SB is so smart... Great example of well rounded artwork..

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! Ive been spying on this thread for too long so I finally decided to post something..... You inspire me to life draw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I really love the rythme of these poses and the subtle form youve defined with a few quick marks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey bro, nice stuff this last ones, keep posting.

Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi fireflower! nice to see your gestures.. i know you're a bit rusty but, i'm sure you'll get over that slump very quickly. just keep drawing. you don't really have to update as much as you can... just update when you have some spare time.

I'm looking for work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey FireFlower really cool sketches in hire nice boobs on the last one keep drawing (dude,gal) ahah hope its not something like Dudegal iiikkk

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The 5 min poses rock!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya Esmerelda, just spent a good long time going through your sketchbook and reading your replies, and I really learned a lot through hearing your thoughts - great document of your learning process and it puts me right back into the LA figure drawing / learning mode which I seem to miss on a daily basis. Beautiful work and I still think you should teach - could be a good source of income and you clearly have much to offer and the desire to do so, so I say just go for it.

Thanks for stopping by my SB and for the supportive comments there - it's also cool to see your participation around the Anat Forum and it's just generally inspiring to see an artist with your level of passion and interest in your work. Don't know if you've noticed that LAAFA has started a marketing blitz around here with threads devoted to the work their students are generating, but there are several around the forums now. It's inspiring to see the emphasis placed on traditional drawing on CA and artists like yourself help to push me forward. Keep up the solid work and the inspiration!

Cheers

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
    1300 Factory Place, Unit 308
    Los Angeles, CA 90013
    www.korpus-la.com
    Blog
    Facebook Page

Twitter
    korpus.info@gmail.com
    Phone: 213-228-2014

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by enthombed
    Hey bro, nice stuff this last ones, keep posting.

Cheers
    Lol, someone miss the poll.

Insprational Esmerelda!

"absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and keep what is essentially your own." - Bruce Lee

Bojee's Monkey Brain
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=29869&page=54

Thanks
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 594 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I hope you don't mind if i save these... ^^

Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 81