Thread: Canvas Sizing

Thanks

Canvas Sizing

Does anyone have any experience with sizing raw cotton duck canvas with a PVA type of glue like Elmer's (rather than traditional rabbit skin glue). I am in the process of preparing some grounds and whereas I have been painting on panels or pre-prepare (primed, stretched and such), I don't want to spend time work in this and having it be junk in a month. Any thoughts are welcome.
    Whatever you do, don't look at my Sketchbook and Painting Thread!

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    Elmers?????? Use acrylic gesso, dude.
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    I planned on gessoing on top of the glue. That would be traditional, if I used Rabbit skin.

Thanks
    I'll second using acrylic gesso. I don't think it's "traditional," in that the old masters didn't have the stuff, but there are very good reasons why people don't use animal glues anymore.

For one, I've heard that the warping of the canvas that can be caused by using such products is *way* more of an issue than when using modern ones. Unless you live in a really consistantly dry climate (and I don't believe that pennsylvania counts as one), it could mean you subject your painting to undue stress.

There's really no good reason to do it the old way, imo. It isn't going to help your painting.
    Art is long and time is fleeting

Sketchbook
    Website

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    If you use acrylic gesso, then you don't need the glue at all. The gesso fills that role - it pulls the canvas nice and tight, and then leaves you with a nice surface for painting on. You can either slop on one layer and call it done, or layer it and sand it, or you can even put sand or other junk in it to texture it.
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Ok. I guess if it isn't rabbit glue, why bother. I was just looking at this article and needed input. Thanks!

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...ht=sizing+glue

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Sizing is only necessary of you're going to apply an oil ground, which will otherwise rot the fabric. Acrylic gesso doesn't need anything underneath it. Thin the first coat with a litte water so it soaks into the fabic, then follow with two or so more coats, thinned or unthinned.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Elwell, that makes sense from what I have been reading. I did see that the rotting issue occurred when oil grounds (not acrylic) were applied directly to the canvas. That is what I will do then, although my instructors have gotten me into a habit of applying 5 or coats of gesso. He applies 10, so I'm actually slacking.

Thanks all.

Thanks
    Actually, it's recommended that you do apply a protection coat of some sort over the raw canvas before using an acrylic primer for oil painting. The primer is porous enough to allow oil to penatrate to the canvas otherwise, unless you use several coats of primer which is overkill. Golden recommends using their GAC 100 medium for this (read the section on Support Induced Discoloration at the bottom of the linked page.)