Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Exclamation Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse

Old piece of mine....Be brutal, because I have realized alot of mistakes throughout the inking of this piece
    From the left War, Death, Famine, and Pestilence
    Tenticles represent hell morphing from the back end of deaths horse which follows in deaths wake. 26x36 inches about Including a gallery shot with me in it.....

Thanks all!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 438 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Whoah! That's a whole lotta detail! It looks awesome, but try shrinking the pic a little so I can see it all!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 588 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting piece, took me a while to see War - he blends into his horse a lot.
    You possibly could have lowered Death's horses head, (though I can see why you didn't) to reveal War
    There's some anatomy issues on both the riders and the horses, but still it look's good.
    I doubt you'll revisit it, and I suggest you don't.
    Learn and move on

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Venger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Venger
    Interesting piece, took me a while to see War - he blends into his horse a lot.
    You possibly could have lowered Death's horses head, (though I can see why you didn't) to reveal War
    There's some anatomy issues on both the riders and the horses, but still it look's good.
    I doubt you'll revisit it, and I suggest you don't.
    Learn and move on

Yeah, I did raise the head to reveal war, he tends to get lost but I wanted him in a riders pose, I did some research and they actually tilt themselves pretty far off to the horses lower side to strike down at people on the gorund (not like in the movies) I'de have to say death is my least favorite, he seems to have the worst problems of anatomy, I did it in my spare time so it took over a year to complete and I got better as I went along...it was fun but yeah won't be revisiting8)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    What's up with the lighting in this? It seems theres plenty of ambient light, but next to no local light. I really think something as dramatic as the four horsey men should have some equally dramatic lighting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    True true...I remember that for my next tech pen piece thanks for the crits so far guys your hitting all the mistakes I made lol!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    solid work. i would like to see a lot more contrast, as Rhineville stated with lighting. maybe play with tones and values in ps or painter. you can always print it out fully rendered for a show piece.
    also....as a side note, isnt pestilence supposed to have scales and famine has a crown? i wanted to do a piece like this a long time ago...might get back on that *horse. nice.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,437 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think the biggest problem that this suffers from is that you chose to stylize elements of it in very conventional ways. For instance, the human skull. It seems somewhere between a realistic skull and a standard biker tattoo. If you want to stylize, that’s great, but try to make sure that you’re starting from a point of understanding the anatomy, and then choosing your own stylistic path, rather than being limited by stylistic choices made by others.

The disembodied arm-with-sword is silly. The horse skulls are a bit cliché. The hair on the second horse from the left seems like it came too close to really being horse hair without quite making it, and would have been better off pushed into something more whimsical. The perspective on the horse to the far right is whacked out.

Along with those sorts of things, you made some absolutely beautiful design choices. That scale, swinging off to the left. The writhing vines perched on that elegantly curved neck. The pose of the guy with the grain, the pose of his horse, and the pose of the grain itself. And that horse’s hair. Wow! I vote you cut off the left side of the picture and frame the right. ;-) No, I kid. It was a valiant effort, and I hope you learned lots and had fun with it.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Exclamation

Hit some very annoying points I came to realize throughout this seedling, great critique, I agree totally, Death's skull bothers me a ton to this day, It was non refrenced which was a bad mistake...I value this piece more for the learning experience more than its final product because it taught me what was wrong and with ink it punished me well since I couldn't go back, putting myself into a fear of not thinking things through first....and your absolutly right seedling I think the most cliche is death even though he tends to be the most important, I wanted each horsemen to have major differences and charcateristics to bring them out, death never followed that sadly...the disembodied arm is connected, but like some said war tends to get lost in front of the horse because of his attack stance...to critique myself I think the hand isn't facing correctly anyways

Misledtomisery:Famine holds the scales its to represent the necessary ammount of food/ wine a man needs per day to live healthy....pestilence was the last horse I worked on, for a long time it was a competition between him (the more modern horsemen) and its original character conquest (hold a bow and wears a crown) in the end I enjoyed the "growth" style of pestilence more and it went into the more dark theme I had in mind...more than a horseman wearing a crown with a bow

Definetly moving on from this....but it was fun and it did win a couple of awards

So my learning experienced wasn't completely wasted...thanks for the crits for a full bio on the horsemen check it out on wikipedia it'll clear up all the misnomers there!

Last edited by Rabid; November 1st, 2006 at 12:59 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great piece of art...i´m too badass....so I used this painting...took it, modified it just a bit, and it will decorate my shoulder for the rest of my life...first 1/3 is done...thank you sir...

Members who have read this thread: 3