Thread: Eragon

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts

Eragon

The site seems a little vague. I caught the trailer elsewhere, but its on the main site. Anyone have any info on this? Was it a book or something, or just out of the blue?

http://www.eragonmovie.com/

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Here's what I know: Eragon, first book by Christopher Paloni, main claim to fame is that he started writing it at age fifteen. Was successful as a self-published book, picked up by one of the big publishers looking for the "next Harry Potter," movie rights bought, etc etc. Incredibly derivative by-the-numbers fantasy, impressive for a fifteen year old, not so much otherwise, but the kids seem to love it. Second book of a planned trilogy, Eldest, was published last year. Both have very nice John Jude Palencar covers .

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    the book is alright. pretty much a copy of every other big name fantasy book. very straight forward, and doesnt bring anything new to the table. quick read, and it is entertaining. there are better fantasy books out there tho. the good thing about this is that its so simple. its really good for young readers and getting people interested in fantasy books
    -=[ Sinister Six Sketch Group ]=-
    -=[ Cookiedough Fooxoo |ntern Hyver Character Evildisco]=-

Thanks
    15 eh? That gives me confidence for publishing the book I wrote in HS. My teacher said I get it published! Same idea, fantasy based with techno elements.

Any ideas on how to self publish though?
    [][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][]>

Thanks
    i believe the family knew somone or had a friend who was in the publishing, or maybe it was that they just dished out the $$ and did it themselves. i forget.

to publish yourself you could send it inot different companies to see how that goes. for fantasy id say try tor since i see them doing the more fantasy based stuff
    -=[ Sinister Six Sketch Group ]=-
    -=[ Cookiedough Fooxoo |ntern Hyver Character Evildisco]=-

Thanks
    I watched a little show on him on Discovery Channel. He was home schooled and graduated early, so he decided to write a book. The family self-published the book and were selling it at book-fairs out of the back of their truck. For a while, it was providing the income for the family. Then someone who had connections with Scholastic picked up the book and they signed him on.

I have read Eragon and Eldest. The books are fun, not incredibly well written, but there are some new elements in there with the characters that are fun. It is pretty derivative of classic fantasy, but that isn't really a criticism from me actually. Not everything has to be totally original to be enjoyable. Paolini's story is inspiring, it almost makes me want to write a book.
    LYON
    Fine Art and Illustration
    www.howardlyon.com

Twitter

Thanks
    theres a big website about it.. has the trailer on it too and the back story etc. i dunno.. seems just like all the other hocus-pocus stories out there.. - JAG
    it's only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything..