Which type are you? [A Poll]

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Which type are you?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Those who genuinely have great ability/talent and are people you like to know. They're few and far between. They don't have the bighead and don't lord it over others.

4 6.78%
  • Those who can seemingly do just about anything and don't, at least outwardly, have to struggle all that much. They're very aware of their ability and are pretty cocky. They think they're better than everyone else.

8 13.56%
  • Those who have great ability but work very hard for what they have. They're the quiet ones. You won't find them strutting around.

27 45.76%
  • Those who don't have much ability, but have incredible drive and will make something of themselves through sheer hard work.

14 23.73%
  • Those who have very little talent, tons of drive and perseverance, but will never "get it."

6 10.17%
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Which type are you? [A Poll]

Sequential art and film award winner George Pratt lists in this blog entry different abilities one may find in any given school. It's an older entry but loaded with good advice.

If you can put the ego aside and see where you really stand, that's a huge leap toward making your art better. So many students (and, yes, professionals) have an incredibly inflated opinion of themselves. Mom and the relatives put a lot of the drawings on the refrigerator and Junior feels pretty good about his talents. That's great. But the refrigerator isn't the world at large. It's not even the world of art school, where there are some great talents lurking about. If you don't allow your ego to get bruised in some serious ways during the critiques then an art career will be a trial for you. There will be incredibly harsh criticism coming your way and if you haven't spent the time in school toughening up your skin, you're in for it. You know what's wrong with the work, if you'll admit it. If you do know what's wrong, then fix it. Work on it. And surround yourself with people who are honest with you, not yes-men.
    ---------
    Pollwise, I consider myself more of type 4. Poll is not set to display who voted what so, like the title in Mr. Pratt's blog post, be honest with yourself.

Last edited by FlipMcgee; October 29th, 2006 at 11:58 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess I'm trying, and slowly slowly getting there. I'm quiet, dan't really like to show my work.... because I don't like it mostly. Feels stupid to write this about myself too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm at a point were I'm not sure If I'm going to reach my goals or not but I keep trying anyway because I feel better for it. I hope I get to were I want, I'm just not sure of my feature because I am very self conscious about my ability compared to others around me at my age. I'm still trying to find the person I want to become. anyway, enough drama...

The Nameless Ones
    NJord-E55
    iolarnula
    Apocalypse Rex
    Invinciblewombat
    Wake101
    Q-Caddlewick
    "Draw till your hands a bloody stump then learn to draw with your teeth."

Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You don't have a listing for "You are such a genius that all art that ever was and ever will be springs from the patterns created by dust motes stirred up by your beer and cabbage farts."

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah right
    or a catagory for sweet funny guys with deliusions
    chaos

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I can think of people that were at school with me who perfectly fit those types.

The thing about it is, every single one is gonna drive you nuts. Number one? They're absolutely awesomely amazing, and are willing and eager to talk with you about their art and their process because it's such a joy for them, but you walk away shaking your head and hoping that you'll ever maybe be as good as them...

number two will drive you crazy because they've got gorgeous art and it's flashy and slick but you know they'll be drawing the same thing for the rest of their lives and if ONLY they'd push themselves a little more...

Number three I don't know - I haven't ever been able to distinguish them from #1. I guess I can think of some really quiet and skilled people who just didn't want to talk about their art or show it to anyone, and made it a much more personal process... in which case you want to shake them, because again, how much better would they be if they would get out and get the attention?

I knew a lot of number fours... and thankfully I've only known one or two fives. I always watch my fives and hope they'll figure something out and their art will click, because they DO deserve most to be artists.

Anyway. Cool article.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was looking for a "Has some ability, but little or no drive and absolutely no free time to devote to getting better." That would fit me to a "T"; but in it's absence I went for #4...figuring with the right mixture of drugs(ADA approved of course), positive thinking tapes, and Ilaekae's Wicken spells(not endorsed by the ADA)...I might develop the drive!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ...baaaaaaarrrooooOOOOOOOOooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmm mm...

Yee shalt absorb the wisdom of the universe and She-Who-Created-Us and thy tools shalt be as unto gold and thy efforts shalt shimmer in the firmament as the stars of the oldest times, and the children of the children of man shalt sing thy praises as Greatness...

Give me a call if your pants fill up with jelly donuts. I'm new at this spell stuff...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I chose #3, would have chosen #1 but my big head excludes me =(

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's no option for "Not completely untalented and not really that driven"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Automatic Kafka
    There's no option for "Not completely untalented and not really that driven"
    exactly. sadly i guess that's the cathegory i really fit into atm.

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i dont see the option for most amazing artist ever with incredible work ethic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't work all that hard, but I suppose I've got talent. I'm quiet, I'd rather read than converse.

I intend to start working hard, though, then I can put myself in that category.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ahaha, I thought even picking #3 was a bit egotistical.

There's no option for "thinks they are AMAZING with their modern art indie knittings, but actually sucks ass." I have a few of those at my school.

-----------------------------------------------------
    portfolio=ORANGEMANTIS.COM
    Blog
    SKETCHBOOK
    -----------------------------------------------------

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.