Thanks

A theory that might yield interesting results.

Hello, everyone. I'm t3h n00b here, but I've had a theory for quite some time now, and have been dying to try it out. I hope to generate some interest.

The process of the theory is as such:

1.) A photograph of a person is selected, preferably a portrait.

2.) I or someone else gives said photograph to a chosen artist via personal messaging or some other means of private contact. Nobody else knows who it is of or what it looks like.

3.) That person sketches and details the photo to the best of his or her ability, trying to make it look as close to the original as possible..

4.) This person then gives his or her rendering of the image to another selected artist via personal messaging.

5.) The process repeats itself 50 to 100 times, each artist copying the previous artist's work without the original image available.

6.) After all of these images have been drawn, they are compiled and posted together.

The point: I think it would be great to see how much of a gradation there is between one artist's work and another's, stemming from the same source. The reason being that every time I try to duplicate an image, I find myself exaggerating certain features very slightly. If this process were replicated, I'd imagine the final result to look more alike to a characature than a realistic portrait. Hopefully, I'll get to test this out with the help of a few fellow artists. If enough interest is achieved, I'll compile an order, and we'll start. More artists can always join in later.

Requirements: For the sake of this "experiment", all artists will have to be somewhat grounded in realistic art. It won't work if your style is cartooney or animeish. (I know, that's pushing it.)

And also, you should be able to do your's in a weeks time, and if possible, even sooner. The reason being that there are only 52 weeks in a year, and if we want to get 50 artists working on this, it may take nearly a year. The good part is, once you get your submission done, you can sit back and wait for the final result. I think it will be fun, and educational at the same time. But, firstly, I need to know if this is any good in the first place. Please let me know what you think of the idea. (If this thread is in the wrong forum, feel free to move it to a correct one.) Thanks!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    i wasted my first post by saying something stupid
    Last edited by Hyver; October 29th, 2006 at 07:18 PM.

Thanks
    Such a thoughtful first post ProphecyProfessor.

Anyway, sounds interesting, I'd like to see the results of that. Only problem is, is if this can be kept up and organized correctly.

Thanks
    It does sound pretty interesesting and I wouldn't mind seeing the result of it.
    I'd say go for it.

Thanks
    Sounds pretty cool although I'd probably go for a smaller number of people maybe 20 to see if the system works, all experiments start with a smallish sample so you get an idea of the results without using up too much time heading in possibly the wrong direction.

I'd definitely be up for it.

cheerio

Thanks
    I remember In school we did something similar, We took 100 peoples photos and included everyone's face in the class and overlapped them and adjusted the transparency to come out with with a portrait of one persons face.... Some people had a serial killer out come, others had a supper model face...depending how that individual student messed with the transparency, your idea would be fun to try it with a PSD file that hasn't been flattened yet ...try the same thing but with other peoples painted out faces....I like your idea too... I was just throwing the idea out there ha ha....
    Who exactly is this minjit you ask?
    Rorke's Sketch Book of Doomy Dooomm!
    I don't want to go mommy...>.< you can't make me!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”
    --Robert McCloskey quote

Thanks
    Sounds like telephone arabe (dunno how it's called in english) where one person says a sentence in the next persons ear and the sentence goes around the room, the results should be equally surprising.

Thanks
    Yeah Its "Telephone"... I thought of that too when I read it
    Who exactly is this minjit you ask?
    Rorke's Sketch Book of Doomy Dooomm!
    I don't want to go mommy...>.< you can't make me!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”
    --Robert McCloskey quote

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Qitsune
    Sounds like telephone arabe (dunno how it's called in english) where one person says a sentence in the next persons ear and the sentence goes around the room, the results should be equally surprising.
    It's called chinese whispers here in england

Sounds like a cool idea morgoth, could be cool to see the outcome

Thanks
    Very nice idea indeed, I would definitely be up for this, just give me a PM if you would ever come around to actually realizing this.
    Putting the FUN in FORUM!.... wait...

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Alright, we can set it for 25. I agree, that sounds like a more reasonable number. (And it won't take such a long time.) So, as there appears to be some interest, I'll take down some names for a formal list. When we get to 25, I'll give the picture to someone and start it off. Any takers?

Thanks
    I might do it, yeah. If I have the time, but I think I will.

Thanks
    The only problem I thought of right away is that; If one artist's rendition is skewed or some kind of flaw is in it, every artist following will have to imitate those flaws... Playing telephone is much easier...

It would be interesting though..

Thanks

Thanks
    I think you're missing the point. Copying the previous person's choices is exactly what this exercise is supposed to show.

0kelvin
    www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    sounds like fun, count me in!

Thanks
    I don't see what the theory is. It's a proven fact that it will change. Plus how can the amount of effort a person puts into it be gauged, they could half ass it. It'll be skewed like hell if there's huge differences in skill levels in the people doing it. Plus you mentioned the myth of styles, if someone copies the photo faithfully then it won't be style that changes the image, but small errors will cause the difference in approximation.
    It would be more interesting if it was a controlled group of trained artist, preferably from the same school, using the same system. My theory then is like a dart board. The likeness is the bullseye. Over time the likeness will be lost, but the images produced will remain close to it, circling the bullseye but the original likeness can never be recovered. My theory is that that could carry on infinitely.