Thanks

Sendaround-Sketchbook?

Hey guys. I need to rant about this, and my non-artist friends just don't get it. (It ends with a proposal!)

So for the past year or so I've been using those black hardcover NON-spiralbound sketchbooks by Cachet. They have luxuriously silky pages, soft and smooth and white, white enough to blow out your eyes if you try to draw in the sunlight on a bright day.

I have come to love these things. Spiral-bounds are nice for folding back on themselves for comfort, and are easier to scan, but the added bulk of an open book is worth it - both in its rigid superiority over floppy spiral-bounds, its ability to keep its pages WITHIN the bounds of its covers (my spiral-bounds always get beat up and the edges of the pages get all fuzzy and sueded), and most importantly, its smooth tooth of paper.

So I love these sketchbooks. On Monday, laying on the floor and scribbling, my sketches coming from the front of my book met up with the sketches coming from the back. No more room to draw; every available space was colored in with a kitten or a monkey or a tooth-gnashing barbarian or whatever.
    I was unconcerned! I fill up sketchbooks all the time, and always I go to the trusty student store and buy a new sketchbook which is exactly like my old one. Nice smooth paper. Black binding.
    Unfortunately, at some point during the two months that I had been working on this sketchbook, the store - NAY, the entire city - discontinued their stock of my sketchbook and replaced it with another that looked nearly identical, aside from the embossed logo on the cover.

The new sketchbook came home with me and a suitable sticker was found to cover the stylishly embossed logo. It was only once I started drawing in it that I realized what a terrible mistake I had made. The paper - it was toothy, toothy like charcoal paper, and the weave(weave??) of it was rough, kind of like those sketchbooks you buy at drugstores, those spiral-bound ones with the grey covers.

Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a little bit. But I hate it. The pages curl. Awful stuff.

AND, the problem is, that only four pages have been drawn on. This leaves 106 pages still blank, and blank pages in a sketchbook is tragic. I feel terrible, but I can't bring myself to draw any further in it, and I have already ordered its proper replacement from DickBlick.

So I don't really know what to do with it. I ask you, the people of CA, what can you do with 106 blank pages and a BONUS four pages of horses, beasties, and girls (peppered with complaints about the texture of the paper)? I'm at the end of my paycheck atm, but if anyone in the US wants it, I could concievably mail it out media rate within the next two weeks. Please - I hate the sight of the stupid thing. Take it off my hands!

There is also (I forgot to mention) a totally rockin' panda sticker on the front. With a bow and arrows. BONUS!

I dunno if anybody's done a send-around sketchbook for CA.org, but it would be a neat-o project. If nobody's interested in a send-around sketchbook, hopefully there will be at least one person interested in a free, hardly-used sketchbook.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    heh.. id say just give it and a pencil to some homeless guy and dont worry about it. but the idea of passing along the sketch book to artists all over could be interesting. if everyone sketches something on a page, then sends it to someone else.. and when the pages are all filled up we could have a contest to give it away to some lucky winner [or something]. but thats a lot of sending aruond and damage that could be caused to the book so maybe not. either way.. a free sketch book is always good and someone will appreciate it. but otherwise dont fret over it.. - JAG
    it's only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything..

Thanks
    A send-around sketchbook is a pretty cool idea. Depending on the shipping charge. But what if someone drew something awesome in it and mailed it off to someone else and that person loved it so much they didn't pass it on anymore.
    That would suck. But imagine what this thing would look like after it went all over the world to different CA artists. That would be so cool to look at and see where it had been and who did what. I'm just wondering how far it would go.

Thanks
    There have been a couple (three?) tries at sending a sketchbook around started on CA. Unfortunately, all of them seem to eventually end up with the sketchbook getting lost, either by someone just keeping it or getting lost in the mail, or someone losing it or just forgetting about it. It just never seems to work out. :/
    "Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    ditto fuki

you'd be better off if you just pass it between people you see on a day to day basis.

Thanks
    just give it to the homeless guy.. - JAG

Thanks
    i say we try it..im interested
    and if we scan it now and then....we can watch it gro perhaps in the "sketcbook" section (whooda thought.) so if it goes missing it wont be a total loss

count me in.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,228 Times in 334 Posts
    why don't you do like newgrounds and send out a page to everyone who signs up, in a self-addressed envelope? then when they come back you're gonna have a whole lotta pages in a much shorter time and at lest risk than sending the book to every person

Thanks
    Well Third times a charm...
    And if someone just mailed me a peice of paper.... I think it would seem quite pointless...I have paper of my own ha ha... But a pass around sketchbook sounds interesting, I would do that... But we should make a thread that keeps track of who has it... so that we can bitch slap them if they don't pass it on. Just my 2 cents.
    Who exactly is this minjit you ask?
    Rorke's Sketch Book of Doomy Dooomm!
    I don't want to go mommy...>.< you can't make me!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”
    --Robert McCloskey quote

Thanks
    Although the idea in itself is a good one(not to mention fun and educational) It WILL get lost, or it will get "taken". Instead, a digital sketchbook would be ideal. A programmer can create a basic programm wich would allow a user to insert new pages onto a digital sketchbook, making the earlier insertions protected to anyone elses "views" and possible defacing of someone elses work. I passed around one of those sketchbooks around in 3 class periods of art back in highschool, my drawings came back with a moustache and a gigantic penis coming out the ear. imagine Markos' drawing getting to you with a gigantic prick coming out the ear...yeah theres people like that out there. Drawing your sketch, then scanning it and inserting it into the digital sketchbook, and then mailing the original copy to a predestined participant who will collect all the drawings and put them together for the final version. every one gets a copy, but only one get the original.
    J.L. ALFARO

"Be who you are and say what you feel,because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss

Thanks
    i think this is very doable.. and it would have to be strictly coordinated and rules set and followed, and definitely monitored to ensure it doesnt get lost etc.. we should just designate a page - person order and send it on its way. and the thread is a great idea to keep track of who has it and when/where it was sent. im in.. lets get this going. - JAG

Thanks
    These guys did a project like that (a bit more complex though) but involving graphic designers and design studios from all over the globe, maybe you'll find it interesting: http://www.placeproject.org/
    Check the map section, that's where all the studios involved and their collaborations are shown.

Thanks
    You know you could always paint in it..if the paper is thick enough
    Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,228 Times in 334 Posts
    i like the digital idea, that way we can all see the result, though there is the option of scanning

Thanks
    sounds like a cool idea to me.
    if ya going to the workshop you could always pass it around there. or send it to someone who is going and make them pass it around. but hay im down for whichever way ya go.
    never updated sketchbook

hopefully weekly updated blog

Thanks
    ive always been down to do this.... its just way too much organizing and keeping track of
    Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Sounds like a neat idea. I'm in. That's if the postage isn't too high.
    But yeah...sounds like a lot of fun.
    My Sketchbook :: Phantasmagoria
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Illustration Portfolio :: jasonsnair.carbonmade.com
    Design Portfolio :: jasonsnairdesign.carbonmade.com
    My Blog -- Feed Me Toast!

Thanks
    ooops, I knew i forgot something........