Thanks

shoud I get an Xbox360

the Xbox360 has been grabbing my attention these days. Unfortunately, it's very pricey.

I'm not a huge fan of FPS games, so I probably won't like games such as COD2, COD3, FEAR, FarCry, Gears of War, Condemed, Just Cause, Chrome Hounds. etc..., I don't like GTA or Max Payne styled games either, such as Saint's Row.

But I do like the fact that Xbox360 can be played on-line, and games such as Mortal Kombat 3, Dead Rising, Fatal Fury 2, and DOA: Exteme Volleyball, are very much in my taste. Plus, RE5 is coming out for it as well, so I won't have to shell out dough for an PS3 to get it, and I can always upgrade it in the future with the HD DVD peripherial (which also plays regular DVD's unlike the Blu-Ray). The Xbox360 has pretty amazing graphics, and Oblivion (despite being FPS), looks like a lot of fun. I'm really more into the on-line, multi-player, arcade styled stuff, but not FPS or MMORPG.

Are there any others out there who don't care for the glut of FPS games for Xbox360, but still got one and have enjoyed playing the other type of games? Any games you can suggest? Any games coming out in the future that would justify getting an Xbox360?

This decision conflicts with my desire to get the Nintendo Wii, but seeing how it might be rare to get one when it's released, and there are more games on the Xbox360 that interest me more, I might hold off on the Wii until next year.

Whatta ya think?

Last edited by CaptainInsano; October 27th, 2006 at 03:27 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I have an Xbox 360 and have had one the day it was released partly because i'm a bit of a microsoft fanboy. I do like FPS's but I enjoy pretty much every type of game and the Xbox 360 has some of the best varieties of games i've seen for a console that has only been released a year.
    It defiently has all of the features you are looking for, Xbox Live is probably the best online service around not only offering the ability to play games online against milions of people (90% of the games have an online multiplayer option) but download trailers (games and movies), demos of upcoming games, and arcade games.

Theyre are a few upcoming games that are well worth looking into, Viva Pinata looks interesting its a kind of simulator where you create a haven for 'Pinatas' to live. I've made it sound lame but just search for some trailers and you'll see. Also Assassins Creed which was orignally only coming out on the PS3, its a 3rd person action game its made by the devolpers of Prince of persia so its the same kinda thing but looks awesome. They're lots of sport games as well if your interested i games like that.

I couldn't recommend it more and its relatively cheap compared to the PS3.
    "No, on second thought, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place."

Thanks
    get a PS3.. - JAG
    it's only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything..

Thanks
    Yeah, get a 360. It'll only cost you...YOUR SOUL.

Hehe. Ahem. Anyway. Yeah, the 360 is looking better and better, and if those are your type of games, then I say by all means. I have a really bitter distaste for MS and XBox, but I can tell you impartially the system's sounding really good right now and will probably keep getting better. Geometry Wars, Dead Rising, Oblivion. And if you're a plain RPG fan, Mistwalker (made up entirely of people who used to make Final Fantasy kickass, INCLUDING Nobuo Uematsu now,) is going to have games out soon enough. I also hear Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is going to be available on XBox live...so, you know. It'd be a solid purchase.

But the responsible consumer in me wants to tell you that if you're on the fence about and don't really -need- one over a Wii, just suck it up and try to think/work ahead and snag a Wii in the beginning of December instead.

Quote Originally Posted by JAG.
    get a PS3.. - JAG
    Don't. - Snuggles

Kiddin', JAG. If you can afford a PS3, and the $50 controller and $60+ games, by all means.

Thanks
    yes, get one

Thanks
    Hey CI,
    I hear ya man, I'm kind of in the same boat as you are.

I never picked up a 360 for the same reasons as you--I'm not into console FPS games (I'm sort of a PC purist in that genre), and that's the majority of 'good' games for the 360. I've also sort of declassified myself into a casual gamer (used to be pretty hardcore back in HS). Now, there's only a few types of games that I'll pick up. I think I've bought a total of 3 games in the past two years, and really only play 2 of them.

I'll get a PS3........eventually.......but probably not 'till next summer, that's when all the blockbuster games are coming out (which are also the ones I'm interested in). Basically, I won't be picking one up 'till Metal Gear Solid comes out...

So, if I'm to actually offer any advice in this post other than going on about myself, I'd have to say to just remember it all comes down to one thing--the games. If there aren't enough games you want to play to justify the price tag, don't buy it. Also, for what it's worth, you might agree, you might not--wait for the price of HD-DVD/Blu Ray players to come down. I'd always prefer to have a separate player than to use a gaming machine. Usually, your quality is going to be better with a dedicated player, and it'll cut down the wear on the game machine. Also, it's kind of a strange reason, but I can't stand watching a movie without being able to view the timecode easily, and I like players that have the timecode on the front panel (I also like being able to view the remaining time, so I tend to stick with Sony with my DVD players, too). Ultimately, though, like with the games, wait 'till some movies that you absolutely HAVE to see in HD come out in HD-DVD/Blu-Ray.

-Chris

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuggles
    Hehe. Ahem. Anyway. Yeah, the 360 is looking better and better, and if those are your type of games, then I say by all means. I have a really bitter distaste for MS and XBox, but I can tell you impartially the system's sounding really good right now and will probably keep getting better. Geometry Wars, Dead Rising, Oblivion. And if you're a plain RPG fan, Mistwalker (made up entirely of people who used to make Final Fantasy kickass, INCLUDING Nobuo Uematsu now,) is going to have games out soon enough. I also hear Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is going to be available on XBox live...so, you know. It'd be a solid purchase.
    Dude, that's awesome news--I may seriously consider getting one now, too. Previously, Geometry Wars was about the only thing that interested me--but I couldn't justify the price tag of the system for what's basically an 80's arcade game or modern "time-waster" (i.e. snood) with flashier graphics.
    -Chris

Thanks
    well, I did it! Playing Dead Rising now

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainInsano
    well, I did it! Playing Dead Rising now
    I love Dead Rising.
    Can't wait for Gears of War!
    darkcult

Thanks
    All the guys, who I know, who are in the industry and go to the big gamming conventions to discuss the future of video games tell me that the only reason XBOX360 rushed to get their system out first was because PS3 and the WII was going to kick their asses. The system will melt a hole through your floor and will freeze cause they rushed distribution. I would say wait... I am waiting for the PS3 and the WII. Cause I know XBOX360 is going to be blown out of the water. Some of the shit the other systems are comming up with haven't been seen before in the gamming world... Like the shit they are doing with the lighting... boggles my friggen mind... I am waiting.... But whatever you want man.
    Who exactly is this minjit you ask?
    Rorke's Sketch Book of Doomy Dooomm!
    I don't want to go mommy...>.< you can't make me!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”
    --Robert McCloskey quote

Thanks
    its cool man.. enjoy the 360. but when the PS3 comes out.. i suggest you sell the 360 and all the games and any siblings you may have and get a PS3. - JAG

Thanks
    its cool man.. enjoy the 360. but when the PS3 comes out.. i suggest you sell the 360 and all the games and any siblings you may have and get a PS3. - JAG
    Selling your left nutt would be a good idea too!

But It will be worth it

.....I already have mine in a jar ready for shipment...ha ha
    Who exactly is this minjit you ask?
    Rorke's Sketch Book of Doomy Dooomm!
    I don't want to go mommy...>.< you can't make me!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”
    --Robert McCloskey quote

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rorke
    Selling your left nutt would be a good idea too!

But It will be worth it

.....I already have mine in a jar ready for shipment...ha ha

Never keep them in a jar, i did that....and they said it was to old for use.

I never got my jaguar... adcheerleader:

Thanks
    I'm actually very suprised how much the Xbox360 has... well... suprised me!

Xbox Live is definately one of the most revolutionary features that shapes gaming as a whole. Sure, PS2 had online gaming, but Xbox Live makes it so accessible. In the Xbox Live Marketplace, you can download demos of games, trailers, videos, and save them on your hardrive (I spent all night playing Lost Planet and Sonic the Hedgehog for free), and while I was doing that, I was also downloading the Viva Pinata interactive trailer. I downloaded patches for Dead Rising, and viewed other people's Dead Rising scores.Afterwards, I downloaded MK3 and challenged players from across the country and spoke to them over the head set, giving each other "seconds" and telling each other how to perform fatalities. It brings back a lot of the arcade experience that has been lost the past few console generations. And... it's so convienant.

Yeah, the PS3 and Wii are going to have the same features, but only after it was pioneered by Xbox Live. I still love the Wii and plan on getting one as soon as I can afford it, but I gotta hand it to Xbox360, it's a damn good system, and cheaper than the PS3. It has pleasantly suprised me.

Thanks
    in all respect.. the 360 is indeed a good system. great features and you can mod the hell out of it. no one can deny that. BUT.. the PS3 will be MUCH better than the 360.. in the sense that it has at LEAST all equal abilities but also that sony took their sweet ass time to get it right.. not like microsoft that just threw it all together in a hurry to get it on the market first. the PS3 will also run much longer.. its potential will last for years. the 360 wont realy ever get better unless you mod it.. - JAG

Thanks
    in all respect.. the 360 is indeed a good system. great features and you can mod the hell out of it. no one can deny that. BUT.. the PS3 will be MUCH better than the 360.. in the sense that it has at LEAST all equal abilities but also that sony took their sweet ass time to get it right.. not like microsoft that just threw it all together in a hurry to get it on the market first. the PS3 will also run much longer.. its potential will last for years. the 360 wont realy ever get better unless you mod it.. - JAG
    You could always mod your 360 by attaching ANOTHER 360 to it. That way it'd probably be even more powerful than the PS3, and about the same price!

Thanks
    I don't want to turn this into an argument over which console is better but i recently watched some footage of the PS3's interface. It does have some nice features but the look just isn't like the 360's it seems to in depth and complicated.
    I'm pretty sure the 360 wasn't rushed apparently the first xbox was just a test for the market and how well xbox live goes down. During alot of the first xbox years they were already designing 360 as feedback from the first one came along so that they could improve every aspect of it...
    Gamespots latest episode of 'On the Spot' has all of the footage of the interface. www.gamespot.com
    "No, on second thought, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place."

Thanks
    i appreciate the feedback everyone gave to me, but there's no need for dramatics or turn this into a fanboy console war.

I have no desire to get a PS3, not because I dislike Sony, but because it's too expensive and haven't seen anything on it that in anyway justifies the price tag.
    Last edited by CaptainInsano; October 30th, 2006 at 07:13 PM.

Thanks
    i think the xbox 360 needs more variety of genres and good games, i would buy a 360 maybe the next year

Thanks
    the Xbox360 has been grabbing my attention these days. Unfortunately, it's very pricey.

I'm not a huge fan of FPS games, so I probably won't like games such as COD2, COD3, FEAR, FarCry, Gears of War, Condemed, Just Cause, Chrome Hounds. etc..., I don't like GTA or Max Payne styled games either, such as Saint's Row.

But I do like the fact that Xbox360 can be played on-line, and games such as Mortal Kombat 3, Dead Rising, Fatal Fury 2, and DOA: Exteme Volleyball, are very much in my taste. I'm really more into the on-line, multi-player, arcade styled stuff, but not FPS or MMORPG.

Any games coming out in the future that would justify getting an Xbox360?

This decision conflicts with my desire to get the Nintendo Wii, but seeing how it might be rare to get one when it's released, and there are more games on the Xbox360 that interest me more, I might hold off on the Wii until next year.

Whatta ya think?

If you're not a fan of FPS games, then I'd reconsider putting down $400 for the console. Personally, I like FPS games. Prey and Gears of War are some good titles, and you have Halo 3 to look forward to. Perfect Dark Zero's not that stellar, but Call of Duty is a blast to play with friends.

As for future titles for the Xbox 360 you'd be interested in, keep your eyes on Lost Planet and Bioshock. Mass Effect might not be half-bad, either.

If you're into arcade/classic titles, Go with the Wii. The Virtual Console service is going to provide titles from the NES to the N64, along with titles from the Sega Genesis and the TurboGrafx 16, plus original content. For the price of a 360, you could get a wii and an ENORMOUS amount of classic titles. They range from $5 to $10 if I recall, depending on the system.

Though when it comes to the Wii, I'll probabaly be doing the same thing you are, and pick one up next year if I get one. Super Smash Bros. Brawl and other titles don't come out until later next year, and you should be able to pick one up without any trouble by then.

Thanks
    Sanest: I completely agree!

Xenogil: The Wii is definately my system of choice, but as you said, a lot of the better games won't come out till next year. It's expected to have 30 VC games out by the end of the year. Not bad actually, but none of the titles are what I'm really looking for (I'm waiting on Secret of Mana, Ogre Battle, Golden Eye, Phantasy Star 2, among others), but they'll probably make their way into the VC by the middle of next year.

Some of the FPS games on the Xbox360 are actually quite good, despite my original dislike for FPS games. Oblivion, which I just got last night, is simply amazing (and can become a 3rd person game at the click of the right-analog-thumb), but it's really best as an FPS.

Dead Rising has been pissing me off since it makes me start from the beginning everytime I die Plus, the tiny tiny text doesn't help much. It's still pretty fun though. I've been mostly playing Marble madness, Geometry Wars, Mortal Kombat, and Uno online though

Thanks

Dead Rising has been pissing me off since it makes me start from the beginning everytime I die Plus, the tiny tiny text doesn't help much. It's still pretty fun though.
    You can save in the public bathrooms (check your map)....save often, this game is hard...But only as hard as you make it to yourself, you can choose not to save anyone or not do any missions and wait for the helicopter to pick you up.

Saving people is a big plus to your PP, but don´t worry about them surviving at all the first time you play ( you are way to low on health and...everything else), them joining will be enough PP...And if you actually save them, well good for them .

On a side note, at the beggining, if you really really hurry, you can get 3 shotguns and 2 sniper rifles from the gun shop at north plaza without having to fight Cletus. ( but I mean really really make haste to that place) Again, check your map so you´ll know what I´m talking about.

And Kill Adam...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    What about oblivion? Not exactly a shooter, though it is first person. I got the 360 just for that game (well, I knew there would be gems along the road, but really I only knew oblivion was in the bag) and I'm not regretful one bit.

Xbox live is great. Try out damn near any game before you buy, xbox live arcade is cheap and fun... I have a really good feeling about the future of the box