Thanks

What is the best lettering to use in comics?...

I have made some sequential art...a lot of it. I am getting favorable responses to it, overall. But many have said that I should re- do the lettering.

So, here's my question: What is the best kind of lettering for comics, or specifically a comic about an ancient story?

I used Comic San...and am told not to use that because it doesn't suit the art. I have been told to avoid using all capital letters....but maybe that's just one persons opinion. I plan to go back and re-do the text, but I want to have a sure plan before I do that.

I will be using MICROSOFT WORD 2000, so it has to be from that program (yeah, I know that's stupid, but that's what I did).

I won't put my link here, because I don't want you to think that I am just pimping my site.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    "What is the best lettering to use in comics?..."

Ain't no such thing...

The typography is an integral part of your art, to the point that if it stands out as an element unto itself, it's wrong. It should be readable and blend into the overall image to the point that I, the viewer, can't make the comment "Wow! What great fuckin' little letters!"

Generally (GEN-ER-AL-LY...), an art approach that is very "hand" drawn works best with an informal "font," preferrably hand lettered or something that looks like it. The more "sophisticated" tecnologically your approach becomes, the more likely that a true font would work, either serif or sans serif depending on the "visual blending" with the drawn images.

The choice of all caps or cps/lc is also determined by the overall feel of your art. Again, "informal" hands-on art can take all caps without a problem. Just get yourself some newspapers from different cities and carefully look at the lettering in each of the strips. It might surprise you.

If your art approach is "Prince Valient" style as far as layout is concerned (Art with captions rather than balloons to each character within the art area), the tendency to have longish paragraphs demands a much more readable font, so true fonts in Cps/Lc becomes a good possible choice.

The primary thing to keep in mind is that you want your viewer to go "Holy Shit! What a great comic idea!" rather than "Holy Shit! What a great font!"
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Ilaekae put it extremely well. I'd probably just add on that if you have the chance, try to take a typography course anyway. Typography is a big deal in sequential art, and you'll do much better if you know the what and how about fonts, (how they read, what they say, the terminology, etc) instead of just knowing 'which font to use.'

Oh, and also. http://bancomicsans.com/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuggles

Oh, and also. http://bancomicsans.com/
    woahhh I wan't a hoody
    Who exactly is this minjit you ask?
    Rorke's Sketch Book of Doomy Dooomm!
    I don't want to go mommy...>.< you can't make me!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”
    --Robert McCloskey quote

Thanks
    The lettering should fit the style of art that you're doing. If hand-lettering your pages works better for the artwork, that may be the way to go, but if you're stuck on doing digital lettering, STAY AWAY FROM COMIC SANS AT ALL COSTS.

http://www.blambot.com is a great site I use for lettering my pages. They have everything from title fonts to speech bubble text. My favorite is Letter-O-Matic for everyday use. It is a pay site but they have a plethora of free fonts you can download. Some of the cooler ones you have to pay for but you can make do without.

Thanks
    As has been implied here, your lettering should fit with your comic but not be distracting. Make sure it is neat, or at least that it does not distract from the visuals. You want they eye to recognise it as text, but it should not conflict with any visual elements. So make it interesting, but not gaudy and distracting.

- d.

Thanks
    The best font is the one that give your story a character, as in make in interesting as it pertains to your story. It doesn't nedd to be gaudy or annoying, just one with a flair that reflects the style of the story your telling -

Thanks
    Illakae knows his stuff, you bet. Of course, some of us are so set in our ways due to old age, hand lettering works best for us. It all depends on your personal skill in lettering in that case. Don't get me wrong, I know that lettering with fonts is faster, and in many cases (OK, just about every case) can look as good or better than hand lettering, but the bottom line is the overall effect you are going for. To me, hand lettering is just another part of the art.

Nothing kills a great story faster than crappy lettering. I also agree with staying away from Microsoft Comic Sans. It just plain old looks bad.

Thanks

A comic on the web about Jesus being tempted by Satan

I CHANGED THE FONT!

Following the advice of many, I made some changes. Also, instead of plain text boxes, I made them look like old parchments.

Do you think it is better this way?

http://home.windstream.net/themessiah
    "I HEAR THUNDER IN THE DESERT."
    www.deadcameforth.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Hmm.. i don't really remember your previous font, but i find the current one too modern. "Son of God" is more towards what looks suitable. Your story takes place in old times, so go for an oldfashioned/classic font. Times New Roman is an example of oldfashioned, but it's also a secretary font. Use fonts that have those extra li'l lines (i forgot the proper english word for it) that fonts similar to TNR have for say the narration. Brookman Old Style is also a good example. Watch how bold/thin you leave your letters. A font that has swirls and is italic could be used for specific parts of the story: you can use one distinctive font for the narration and the other for conversation. Maybe a rounder font that's less formal and more looks like it's written is better for the conversation. Play around a li'l, Word has several fontsorts and maybe it's a good idea to invest a bit into fonthistory and usage (there are dozens of books about this).

Atm, i really don't like the current font. It seems to yell at me (perhaps you c&#225;n make them stop talking in caps, he's Jesus, so he'll still speak with great power) and it's not merging well with the art. Also distracting is how the narrations changes from blues to yellows and pinks.

There are also free fonts online you can use (not a whole tree available though, so you can't really vary between 1 fonttype), but there are several you can play around with and maybe suit your comic better.

Thanks
    and don't use papyrus, ever.

Thanks
    Don't use Comic Sans, designers thank you.

Thanks

using papyrus for Tempt the Messiah

Quote Originally Posted by guggenmaneuver
    and don't use papyrus, ever.
    I know about comic sans, buy why not papyrus???

GREAT feedback from cookiedough and Jens - thanks!!! And Jens, I want everybody's 2 cents....that's why I am here. You made great observations there. I WANT the text to fight for attention with the pictures.......and win. Cookiedough, I appreciate how specific you were with your comments. And since you do not remember my first font....it was...............Comic Sans - Ooops!
    Last edited by g.owen; November 26th, 2006 at 10:26 AM.
    "I HEAR THUNDER IN THE DESERT."
    www.deadcameforth.blogspot.com