Game Design portfolio - HELP!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Game Design portfolio - HELP!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Game Design portfolio - HELP!

Hey, I recently went to a uni open day to obviously check it out. I want to go into 3D modelling and animation for computer games but the main aspect is the whole design of games.
    The lecturer I spoke to there said I will need a portfolio to show them once I've applied and hopefully get an interview. I asked him what kind of work he was looking for. He said that he can't tell me exactly how to get in, which is understandable, but instead gave me an idea. Sketches and photography seemed to be the focal point but he said don't put the most obvious work in. For example lots of drawings of swords and guns get past through and they're the people that get rejected.

So what i really want to know is what I should be putting in my portfolio, i have about 3- 4 months to get it together but i haven't really got enough work to have in their.
    He said a good artistic mind is what they look for over skill, showing that you can draw and are really interested in the subject.

Please help, I do have a sketchbook on this site if you need an idea of my skill and variety

Last edited by Sanest; October 27th, 2006 at 04:44 PM.
    "No, on second thought, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place."
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If the reason nobody has replied is because you've taken a look at my sketchbook and have decided i don't stand much of a chance, then the lecturer told me a webpage that he and the students of the course use to post there work. Alot of it is 3D but some of them have posted sketches and the competition doesn't seem that steep.
    Take a look www.professormoriarty.blogspot.com

I just really need help in what to include and maybe how to present it...cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sanest, I'm guessing on some of this but in most instances animation companies and schools want to see your ability with drawing from real life. Try to include figures in motion as well as the world around you. See if you can determine how many pieces they typically want in the portfolios. It's usually a smaller number. Finally something to show your computer literate might help as well. Just a couple ideas to start you off. Good Luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, woodbert I defiantly need to be drawing more people than i do especially in motion, thats genius. Thank you again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, first off, you have to decide what youre applying for. You've said modeling, animation, and game design. Those are all completely different jobs and departments. You can't apply for them all at once or have a job that does all of them unless you get the chance to work with a really small company where people do more than one job.

If you want to apply for a modeling a texturing job, then you need to have examples of game models that are fully textured. Show off your wireframes and texture sheets and some beauty renders. If you want to be a character artist, do character art for your portfolio. If you want to be an enviro artist, do that.

Now, if you want to be an animator, you need to show off your animation ability in a reel. It should be 2-3 minutes long and show off a bunch of different human motion.

If you want to be a game designer, well, youre probably not gonna get that job unless you happen to own the company already. Its possible to work your way into that job from QA (thats a game tester) but that'll take lots and lots of years and a ton of luck. Level designers also might move up into that position. It all really depends on the company... In order to get hired straight off as a game designer, you need to have already designed some successful games.

2d work is also good to show in any art based portfolio. Especially life drawing.

Also, if you think the competition for these jobs isnt steep, youre dead wrong.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, its a course rather than a job the course name is '3D modelling and Animation for Computer Games' and he actually said that he wasn't interested in past 3D work because 3D modelling is what he is going to teach.

I am hoping however that when I have finished (after 4 years) i will have the credentials to get into the industry, the university does come highly recommended with some high contacts.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,439 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Sanest, there is a link in my sig just for you. . .

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Follow Seedling's links. And on a side note, unless your teachers are WORKING IN THE INDUSTRY ON A DAILY BASIS, never beleive anything uni sais.
    That said, I noticed on your blog you don't give link or mention of your reference. That's a huge no-no especially when you hang around and wish to be considered in an artist community such as ConceptArt. Change it quick before getting flamed.. It's not a enjoyable way to learn "artsy netiquette"
    Furthermore, practice drawing FROM LIFE but especially try to understand what you see. You need to understand volume if you want to get into modeling and/or animation. Break the figure in shapes and check out the resources on the forum.
    Draw and progress as much as you can. Try to draw every single freaking minute you have of free time. Draw while waiting for the bus, draw on the bus, draw while waiting for your girlfriend to get ready, sell your TV, thrive, learn and visit the forum for c&c, etc. It's crunch time baby!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seedling, thanks
    Thanks egerie, i will change it right away! I will defiantly take your valuable advice, i don't ever draw from life i choose photography which i don't think has improved my drawing. The teacher said that he does sort of work in the industry, he does 3D animation for TV but knows (by first name) people from the industry which come to see the students work from time to time and give lectures. Companies such as Rare, Microsoft and Eidos all have links with the uni.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.