Thanks

Copyright Issues with online portfolio

I have been advertising my recently compiled On-Line portfolio, I am a recent graduate and I am in the process of finding a job so having my work online makes it great that any contact I meet can immediatly see all my work and provide me some feedback. My one concern is that anyone could cut an paste any of the work I am posting, what copyright options are there? I found some HTML script that supposidly prevents users from copy and pasting, but I am sure their are easy ways around such a script. Any insight would prove valuable

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Watermark the images and then stop worrying about it. If someone wants to steal your work they will, as has happened many times before to lots of artists. Stopping people from right clicking is just annoying to people who may just want to save your work for reference, and any real thief could get around it easily.

Basically, just don't worry about it.

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    Everyone here runs the risk of having their art filched. It's not that big a deal.
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    images are store in tempory internet files and people can easily print screen and get the images that My personal suggestion is to do a copywrite water mark over the image this has worked for me in the past they cant get rid of the water mark with out ruining the image hope this helps

Poison Art
    SHINEY ITS SHINEY!

Thanks
    Yes - add a copyright to your images AND make sure anything you post in a public area is low resolution... that way people can look at your image & copy your image but they can't print out a nice version.
    "Change is a virtue my friend... if you want to escape, all you have to do is make up your mind."
    John Cale / Bob Neuwirth

Here be SKETCHIES...

www.ccthrom.com

Thanks
    it sucks to keep people from saving your work, cause most of them just wanna hang on to it cause they like it.

like they said, watermark and forgeddaboutit. you can also put a disclaimer on your site that asks people to credit you and link back to your site if they want to post your stuff anywhere... free advertising!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Forget about disabling right click etc, if it's showing up on my monitor it's already saved on my hard drive and I can get around it.

Just don't post print resolution images.

Watermark it if you like but be aware that these can be photoshopped out and that they only serve to annoy most people.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    Personally I don't even like the watermark because it looks distracting at best and often downright intrusive and ugly. I prefer not to worry myself over such things
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    From what I know you don't have to put a (c) on it for it to be Copyrighted.

I'd sign it and then possibly put a web adress in the corner, that is useful if the image for some reason turns up somewhere and someone wants to know its source.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Ditto. You can't avoid your art getting used elsewhere. And if it's used, it's not a bad sign at all. It shows your image is good. I was never a friend of über-right-protection.

Thanks
    Like El coro once told me, if your works getting stolen your kickin ass!

I wouldn't worry about it...

Thanks

Wow

I must say I am pleased to see the enormous response to my inquiry. I appreciate all the valuable information everyone chimed in with. I assumed it wasn't a bug deal but I feel much more confident about just getting my work out there and get feedback.

-Sean

www.seanisabella.com

Thanks
    Watermarks should be non intrusive enough that ppl can still enjoy your work, else, what is the point? Mostly, your name and URL in small but legible characters along the side or bottom is ideal, so a potential employer can find you if they find the image and store it for later.

Thanks
    Disable right click annoyed me so much that I make it a point to save the images... even if I don't particularly like them. It's stupid. Might as well just put your art under a padlock in a dark room where only you and your select audience might view it's "undeniable glory". Firefox, which is what I use, has an extension that disables that script. In a worst case senario, like flash (even this can be decompiled), I use print screen. Otherwise I dig through the code to find the image and where it's stored. It's a hobby

Also I agree with El Coro and Proms great advice. If it gets to a point where your art has been copied then celebrate and sue .
    Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die.

Thanks
    To capture an Image on the screen you just have to press print screen and it takes a photo (so to speak) of what you are looking at on the screen, so it captures the toolbar etc. You just paste it in paint or whatever and crop the image.
    Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form.

Thanks
    Bottom line: once you create a piece of art, you own the copyright. If someone decides to steal that work and use it anywhere else without compensation they're criminals.
    I woudn't worry about it too much, though. Just don't post high resolution files of your work. (so poeple can't steal it for print).

Also, I think the confusion regarding copyright comes from people arguing that the copyright isn't registered. Once you create something, you automatically have the copyright, but if you register the copyright with the government, it can be easier to prove in court that you own it. Registering copyright isn't neccessary, just makes it easier to prove it's yours.
    Again, bottom line: you own your work. Don't let other people use it without permission.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy P
    Also, I think the confusion regarding copyright comes from people arguing that the copyright isn't registered. Once you create something, you automatically have the copyright, but if you register the copyright with the government, it can be easier to prove in court that you own it. Registering copyright isn't neccessary, just makes it easier to prove it's yours.
    Again, bottom line: you own your work. Don't let other people use it without permission.
    Furthermore (in the U.S.), you can't bring legal action without registering the piece, and you can only collect punitive damages for infringements that occur after a piece is registered.
    More info>http://www.copyright.gov/

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    I would not look at someone using your artwork as absolutely a negative result.
    If you are looking for work, deliberately putting out several images for people to copy might prove to be an excellent marketing technique. So long as people keep your name on it, I would suggest letting them copy it, maybe they can even sell copies where you could not do anything as such. Free samples have always worked well to introduce the consumer to a new product. Other people doing this could be a great marketing tool to circulate your work.
    The one precaution I would take is registering your work. If someone makes a substantial large amount of money by removing your signature, and replacing it with their signature, and make public claims that they painted or drew the image you have a legal grounds and substantial proof to go after any profits they make on the artwork. Although this sounds like a fantasy dream come true to reach this level of success, this seems to be one of the few circumstances where copyright is a worthwhile legal right to pursue. Mind you that the cost of pursuing a copyright case will cost thousands of dollars, making this created hypothetical situation a worthwhile choice to pursue a copyright infringement.
    On the other hand if someone really intelligent and talented in marketing were to take one of your images and sell half a million copies (with your signature as the authentic creator of the piece), this would launch a successful career for you. With this type of public exposure anything you do after that will probably sell well and bring some popular acclaim based on the piece that brought half a million people to realize a talented artist creating stuff they like is out there. You might want to consider someone like this for hire to do your marketing after proving their ability to sell your stuff.

Copyright registration does have other advantages. I read somewhere in the Copyright Office on-line web site that anyone can look through works submitted and registered. There was also a mention of the fact that many people in business looking for talented people search through the works submitted to the U.S. Library Congress Copyright Office.
    Last edited by Stephen Lo Piano; October 29th, 2006 at 08:29 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    Most your student portfolio will be on a shelf somewhere within a couple years anyway. Student work is exactly that. You have better things to do than worry about making the impenetrable fortress that will keep people from stealing your early body of work. look at the mb thread...everything is there for the taking. You want your work to get out and around. Simple as that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley
    Most your student portfolio will be on a shelf somewhere within a couple years anyway. . .
    On a shelf? Hell, mine's all under the bed. Or in a trash can, or back at home under Mom's ping-pong table where the cats sleep on it. Oh, except for the big one I left by a dumpster. That one ended up in the Museum of Bad Art. *sigh*
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.