Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: jabo's book

Thanks
    Hell no, this is neither a hero nor an anti-hero. I thought it became clear from my post (calling the piece "arian Hitler poop") that this is meant to be a message against the far right wing (and far left, of course). There's a starting trend to laugh at and caricature Hitler in Germany (which is common-sense in most countries, not here until today) after "Mein Führer" and "Der Bunker", both movies that make fun of him. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I just thought it was funny to put his skinny head on an "arian" body.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Grim Reaper is offline I stared into the void last night,best dream I ever had
    Thanks
    I guess you're right... Just don't think about all that stuff too much 'cos there is nothing funny about Hitler... Wasn't arian the perfect race according to Hitler? If so you're doing him a favour putting his face on a nice muscular body he never had himself.... Ugly fucker he was...

Thanks
    Jabo- Incredible work. One thing i noticed about your digital environment paintings was that you really capture the radiant light quite well. Whether its a trail from a space shuttle entering the atmosphere, a laser beam, or just a flashlight, you create this sense of luminosity that makes the painting dramatic and alive. I really like the one you went back and retouched its very clean.

There is one that i think you might want to revisit, from my perspective, that is the one with the guy holding the flare, and the alien creature in the foreground. I really enjoy the composition here, and the color scheme... If you choose to maybe add a slight orange glow around the creature, that would really bring it forward, and increase the appeal of the painting.

As for the hitler characature, If you want my opinion it looks like you had a rough sketch of a tough guy and turned it into someone witha nazi flag wrapped around his waist, then added a charlie chapman/hitler stash. My biggest gripe was that i had to see it twice! once at the begining, and once at the end -why the repetition?
    He should have a Massive Black Cock up his ass, and give him an awkward smile to show that while its incredibly painful, hes surprisingly pleased by it.

that being said i have a couple questions i would like to ask about your workflow. What types of brushes do you use? And how many at a time do you usually work with? Do you find that you are using just a couple or switching between a wide variety of brush shapes and sizes? I know to block it in, i should use a scrubby brush, but afterwards im not sure what to do, or what type of brush to use to refine it, ands still stay within a time frame.

Any tips would be helpful.
    M

Thanks
    Sorry for the lack of updates or replies, life has been rather complicated the last weeks.

Grim Reaper: Doing favours to dead people is irrational. I'm not irrational. Anyway, let's put this behind us.

BumsUnite: Thank you. Lighting is crucial, as it is what visible things are made of. The effects you mentioned are gimmicks, and I use them mainly to cover the obvious absence of funded knowledge. I work rather emotional, and never draw or paint just to draw or paint. I try to keep away from everyday themes like dungeons, dragons or soldiers. They bore me to death.

Oh, and you're right about the Hitler painting. The towel and head were the last things I drew. But if I hadn't liked the idea, I wouldn't have posted it.

About the repetition: The first one is an attachement that let's you see the latest painting/drawing in front of my thread. I'll use the painting below now.

Workflow: I use custom brushes, but block in shapes first with a standard brush, round, slanted and squeezed. I wouldn't use a scrubby brush first. The first strokes have to be clear and sharp, not scrubby and blurry. After I blocked in stuff, I use the smudge tool without spacing to rip out parts of the painting. The faster you move, the more you rip it apart. The slower you move, the more you smudge the paint.

Basically, you can paint in Photoshop with just round standard brushes and the smudge tool (or without it). Custom brushes add a certain style and structure.

Here's today's doodle. First digital in 2 weeks, I've been drawing loads of pencils, maybe I'll scan some.

jabo's book
    Last edited by Jabo; August 21st, 2011 at 09:39 AM.

Thanks
    noicenoice yuhnizzle. maybe a bit hard to read but funky colors. Wollmer uns nichtma treffen und ein bissl sketchen? wohnst doch gleich um die ecke..
    soblad das wetter wieder gut is geh ich in die city, leute zeichen.. bock?
    c

Thanks
    Klar Alter, sag wo und wann und ich bin dabei. Hatte eh vorgehabt, dich demnächst mal zu kontakten, weil ich von deinem Sketchbook so angetan bin. Jetzt als Zivi-Sklave hab ich öfter mal nachmittags frei. Wenn das Wetter demnächst mitspielt, wäre irgendwo im Kurpark sicherlich ne coole Sache.

Thanks
    Hard to go back to colors when you've been doing pencils for the last weeks. Also, I noticed how relaxed I am when I'm scribbling on paper, and how cramped I do the digitals...

jabo's book

jabo's book

Thanks
    Damn, have been neglecting this thing for too long. I've been doing my social service since March 1st and I'm quite happy with it. Working with kids is something completely new to me as I neither have friends nor kin with kids. It's easter holiday at the moment and I'm working with the housekeeper of our school. Easy work, outside, fresh air, and tons of time to draw.

So I've been filling half a sketchbook with doodles and sketches for the last weeks and found it quite a bit of work to get into pencils again. Realised I have to start all over with my practice because I couldn't even put the eyes in the face properly. I'll scan some of the sub-shitty stuff and post it as soon as I have time. Meanwhile, here's the first two digitals since February. Even tougher to get back into digital, heh. I'm fascinated by stranded air/spacecrafts, even more if they landed on lava or something volcanic.

jabo's book

jabo's book

Thanks
    great digitals
    pld: NEED CRITIQUE! But BEWARE your Eyes might BLEED OUT of YOUR eye SOCKETS <---cause I really suck and haven't done shit pld:
    My Sketch Book!

Thanks
    Thanks!

Nothing real to update with, so here's two uninspired doodles for the sake of it.

jabo's book

jabo's book
    Last edited by Jabo; August 21st, 2011 at 09:40 AM.

Thanks
    *throwing up cat's fur, pollen and a speedpaint*

jabo's book
    Last edited by Jabo; August 21st, 2011 at 09:40 AM.

Thanks
    Hiya Jabo! I really like your speedpaints, especially the last one! I wish I had Photoshop too :/
    Looking at your work made me wonder, how much do you paint/draw from reference? It kind of looks to me like you're not learning as much as you could and you're pretty much just repeating and repeating all the knowledge you have right now.
    But then again, who am I to tell... Right now I gotta go draw something I can't draw. *sinks back* d

Thanks
    Thanks Doyle.

I barely ever draw or paint from reference. I have a hard time concentrating when I do that and more candidly, I find it extremely boring. I'm getting started for university and the skill tests there focus on your ideas rather than your technical skills. So I'm searching for a more intuitive way to filling my brains than non-stop drawings of grannies in the park or nudes on a chair.

A whole bunch of people here in the forums seem to be so eager to learn that they completely forget that fun is the most successful motor. They see it more as a job than a passion. And that's what you see when you look at their art. As soon as I have to remind myself that I should have fun drawing, I'll drop the pencil never to draw again.

But you're right, I've been a little lazy the last couple of weeks, and it all looks the same right now. That's why I like switching between pencils and wacom. Gives me a fresh experience every time.

Checked out your sketchbook. Holy god you're 16? Not bad man, keep chasing those dreams! Love that guy. What I think is funny is that in this post of yours, I like the stuff from imagination most. Of course it's a little more sloppy and not anatomically correct, but the speech bubbles tell me that you had something in your mind when you drew them. That's what I wanted to say above, y'know?

PS: You're stuck with the hipbones, huh? Yeah, that's one of my major weaknesses, too.

*blah*

Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast