Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Question taking a gap year?

is a gap year between college and universty a good or bad thing?

Recently I've been looking at taking a gap year before I go on to universty I'm not sure if this is a good think to do....

idealy I would love to go travealing before I go of to universty to expericance different cultures and gain new skills along the way?

is it a good idea or will I enjoy it too much and not bother going to universty I'm not sure on what to do regarding this subject and any put given will be most welcome

thanks

Poison Art
    SHINEY ITS SHINEY!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    You could consider studying abroad while at university, but if I were to take a gap year, I'd spend that time really making sure you want to continue with art and prepare to tailor the university to meet your specific artistic goals, liberal arts college, art school or otherwise.

Thanks
    ah ok your just me but a year ago, i was asking the same question and i opted for the gap year. I cant really give you an opinion whether or not it was the best thing to do as im only a couple of months into it, but i feel i made the right choice. Ive already booked a few trips with a few of my friends so already it feels worth while.

another reason ive took a gap year is to get a nice portfolio of work put together, and im practising everyday too.

Sup to you though what you do, i mean either way your probably going to end up going uni, so what does it matter if its a year later than intended? perhaps the year will give you some time to decide on what path you want to take later on in life. Anyways good luck with the decision, just do what you feels best for yourself .

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by darkwolfb87
    You could consider studying abroad while at university, but if I were to take a gap year, I'd spend that time really making sure you want to continue with art and prepare to tailor the university to meet your specific artistic goals, liberal arts college, art school or otherwise.
    I have been looking at going aboard to study the only down fall with that is if something goes wrong and I need my family for one thing or another I wont have any surport of them and it'll cost to much to make regualer vists to home I lived away from home for a year I was about 7 hours by train and 10 by car and it was really differcult for me I'm very family oriatanted my family is my world I dont think I could be able to study in a different country though at the time I was away for that year I was only 16 so I'm not sure if I could do it again I'll bare that in mind when I meet with my careers advicer on monday morning
    SHINEY ITS SHINEY!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet
    ah ok your just me but a year ago, i was asking the same question and i opted for the gap year. I cant really give you an opinion whether or not it was the best thing to do as im only a couple of months into it, but i feel i made the right choice. Ive already booked a few trips with a few of my friends so already it feels worth while.

another reason ive took a gap year is to get a nice portfolio of work put together, and im practising everyday too.

Sup to you though what you do, i mean either way your probably going to end up going uni, so what does it matter if its a year later than intended? perhaps the year will give you some time to decide on what path you want to take later on in life. Anyways good luck with the decision, just do what you feels best for yourself .
    I was thinking along the same lines I dont feel with the way my portflio stands at the moment I would get into uni right this moment any way and I feel a gap year could be benifical I have a pretty rough idea what I would like to do in the future as a career thank you for your input much apperecated
    SHINEY ITS SHINEY!

Thanks
    Well if anything, find as many life drawing or atelier-related classes as possible and forget about your portfolio. The pieces for it will come with time while you're busy studying.

Thanks
    yeah its a tough call. normally i would say to just go on to the university. BUT, looking back some time off woulda been nice cuz now i dont have any. but be aware that you may enjoy it too much and never go back. so really think ahead and plan out the whole situation.. give yuorself a specific amount of time and then return, with all necessary arrangements made to start the university on time. - JAG
    it's only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything..

Thanks
    Personally I'm not for a gap year at all. Once you're out of school you need to get to prefessional level asap. If you can manage that in a gap year, by all means. But most of the time, peeps slack off when they take such a long break, and are often lazy, not managing to cope with the amount of work and pressure once they get back.

You need to think carreer-wise here, think long term. Weigh out only the long term pros and cons, and if you're going to take a gap year make sure you stay sharp and very active. slacking off is the last thing you should do!

that's just my 2c.
    ciao!

- d.
    Last edited by demented; October 26th, 2006 at 02:38 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    Poison - you really shouldn't be making any big decisions while you're in the middle of quitting smoking. Can you put this decision off for a few days at least?
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by demented
    Personally I'm not for a gap year at all. Once you're out of school you need to get to preffesional level asap. If you can manage that in a gap year, by all means. But most of the time, peeps slack off when they take such a long break, and are often lazy, not managing to cope with the amount of work and pressure.

You need to think carreer-wise here, think long term. Weigh out only the long term pros and cons, and if you're going to take a gap year make sure you stay sharp and very active. slacking off is the last thing you should do!

that's just my 2c.
    ciao!

- d.

slacking off isnt in my nature but I know where your coming from. I've already started thinking ahead about things and where I want to be in a few years time. I dont want to be one of these people that think they dont have to do what they said they will. Theres already pressure on me to go to uni i'm the only person in my family to stick at my education most of them dropped out in the first year of college and have given up on worth while careers and I dont want to be stuck in some dead end job that I know I'm going to hate. Been there and do that over the last 6 months i've had 4 different jobs and i've left all of them for one reason or another and I dont want to be in the situaction where my mother is in right now. I understand that a gap year could either really help me or its going to be the competle oppisite of it. at the moment its just idea by the end of next week if I havent made my mind up on the matter I'm going straight to uni regradless
    SHINEY ITS SHINEY!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedling
    Poison - you really shouldn't be making any big decisions while you're in the middle of quitting smoking. Can you put this decision off for a few days at least?

true but I have to make my mind up soon my college wants to know if I'm going to uni or taking a year out so they can help get my uni appucations ready with me...
    SHINEY ITS SHINEY!

Thanks
    no prob man, considering this as carefully as you have here already goes to show you're not the type to slack off and not care. good luck man, and have fun either way!

ciao dude,

- d.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by demented
    no prob man, considering this as carefully as you have here already goes to show you're not the type to slack off and not care. good luck man, and have fun either way!

ciao dude,

- d.

thanks man! I always have fun in everything I do. If you slack off where will it get you in life?
    SHINEY ITS SHINEY!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poison_art
    true but I have to make my mind up soon my college wants to know if I'm going to uni or taking a year out so they can help get my uni appucations ready with me...
    Try setting yourself a block of time next week. Write it on your calendar. That'll be your designated worry-about-college time. Until that time, you are not allowed to worry about it. How's that?
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    In my personal opinion you might as well get university out the way beings as your used to education. You might find it hard to get back into the habit of working and having a steady rhythm if youve been away for a while. But thats a simple hurdle to cross.
    Its entirley up to you. I feel that my opinion is slightly biased because this is what I want to do, as im at the same stage as you.
    Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form.

Thanks
    Seedling- that seems like a good idea to me thank you ^_^

Mr Man- I kno what your saying your at the stage in your education as me but some things suit different people better than others I'm just not sure if I want to throw my self straight into uni but as I'm reading what people are telling me it seems like a good oppation to take. may I ask if your looking at uni's and if so what courses and which uni's?
    SHINEY ITS SHINEY!

Thanks
    honestly.. i recommedn you go to the university. you'll still have plenty of fun there and you'll be set when you're out to get a job. on the other hand, IF you dont get a job right away.. consider that your gap 'time' but i really wouldnt recommend it. people get caught up in life during that gap year and never go back to where they wanted to in the first place.. - JAG

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Poison_art
    Seedling- that seems like a good idea to me thank you ^_^

Mr Man- I kno what your saying your at the stage in your education as me but some things suit different people better than others I'm just not sure if I want to throw my self straight into uni but as I'm reading what people are telling me it seems like a good oppation to take. may I ask if your looking at uni's and if so what courses and which uni's?
    Im interested in Illustration, looking at bristol, bournemouth and a few others.
    Dont let your college put you off about uni, there wont be those worthless prats who mess around. Universitys will only accept people who really want to succeed.
    If you decide to go to uni what would you want to do?
    Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form.

Thanks
    JAG- thanks for the imput

Mr Man- Illustration or Graphics Design for a while I was looking at Fashion design but after looking more closely at the courses I decided it wasnt for me
    SHINEY ITS SHINEY!

Thanks
    i'd say, never stop learning! go straight to uni. It's actually a very fun adventure, especially the first year, funner than just sitting at home for a year and working at some boring job. all the new friends you'll make, girls (or boys if you're a gal) you'll meet, and th new stimulating classes. why stop now on educating yourself, escpially when you just made it to the fun part! I wish I could do it all again, especially with what I know now and how I see the world today.

UH Manoa!!! w00t wo0t! c/o 2002 !!!

Thanks
    CaptainInsano- thank you for your input, I dont think i really wanna stop learning anyway I love to learn new things!

TEACH ME!!!
    SHINEY ITS SHINEY!

Thanks
    people get caught up in life during that gap year and never go back to where they wanted to in the first place.. - JAG
    then they didn't want it that bad in the first place!

Poison_art

The only real question here is about motivation. Because to me that will for the
    most part decide if you will succeed or not, whatever you choose to do.
    Taking a gap year, bad or good.. is irrelevant.
    ( numerous people will say it's good because it worked for them and visa versa)
    On a side note, I know a lot of people who started university after they had
    worked for some years, and became very succesfull. A friend of mine went
    straight to uni after highschool and failed miserabely year after year, then...
    decided to go work and landed a job with citybird and worked up till floor
    manager there... untill they went bankrupt a couple years back. Then she
    had 2 choices, either go for the management job she got offered in an other
    firm... or go back to uni and study engineering wich was the thing she allways
    wanted to do. Well she did go to uni and graduated last year as the first
    of her year with greatest honors ( summa cum laude ).
    And got numerous job offers now to choose from
    I mean it's all about motivation, about what drives YOU. the best advice I can
    give you is to think about what YOU really want to do and not to be misleaded
    by people who are pushing you in a certain direction ( like family or friends
    often do with the best intentions )
    If you really want to travel, then travel..
    If you really want to go to uni, then go to uni...
    If you wanna go work first,..... ( it's up to you )

Good luck
    Tom
    www.tomvandewouwer.com

"There is no such thing as 'accurate drawing'. There is beautiful
    drawing, and ugly, and nothing else." JAD Ingres, Ecrits sur l'art
    (1780-1865)"

Thanks
    thank you for the advice Tom the family has just had a dersating blow my grandmother had a heart attack in the early hours of this morning and I've been voted by the rest of the family her full time carer so it looks like for a while my dreams and ambishions will be put on hold while I care for her. the rest of the family are too wrapped up in them selfs to sharethe resposibtly and have just pastit straight to me, i'm going to continue with the last few months of college but after than I dont know what is going to happen, i really want to go off to uni but my grandmother is everything to me and while i can i want to be there for her. i'm not going travealing even if i got 3 jobs i still would never be able to afford to go and do it so i'ld just be lumbered in england for a year doing nothing...
    SHINEY ITS SHINEY!

Thanks
    hey sorry to hear about your grandmother.. but i gotta say thats a load of crap for your family to put all the responsibility on you. you really shouldnt take that. im sure you love your grandmother very much but wtf?? dont they love her at all?? and you're too young to be strapped down to something like that, not able to make your own decisions and live your life.. thats not cool for your family to put you in that position. id talk some shit to them if i were you.. tell them to step up and be responsible adults.. - JAG

Thanks
    there are benfits to moving in with grandma

1) i wont be around people that smoke
    2) its closer to college
    3) i'ls have space peace and quite to do art work
    4) my parents cant steal my money to by ciggerettes!
    5) i get my own room again!

My family are too self abosrbed to look after grandma them selfs. they kno that i have all the time in the world for her.i'm the only grand child that goes to see her on a regular basies i walk over during my lunch from college and spend my whole lunch doing odd jobs for her often ending up late back to college. i kno i should put my foot down and yell at them and say no damn you.. you do it! but i dont think the rest of the family has the time of day for her really.

i wont give up on my dreams and ambishions because then i'm just as bad as the rest of the family. it just might take me a little longer to get to where i want to be thats all * sighs*
    SHINEY ITS SHINEY!

Thanks
    hmm.. well at least you do have a goal to reach. and as long as you stick with it, whats the rush right?? you only have the rest of your life to get there just make sure you get there.. thats what matters. and you'll be rewarded for taking care of your grandmother anyway, plus all the benefits you've already mentioned. - JAG

Thanks
    Thanks JAG grandma is still in hos she'll be out tomorrow then i gotta to and look after her until the family thiks she can mange on her own
    SHINEY ITS SHINEY!

Thanks
    thats good news.. keep us posted.. - JAG

Thanks
    i spent 4 hours warming the house up for her to find out she wasnt coming home father nearly gave me a heart attack falling through the front door! was ready to stab him with the sharp pencil i was useing^_^
    SHINEY ITS SHINEY!

Thanks
    haha yeah that wouldnt have ended well no sweat, at least you're actually doing something for her.. putting forth the effort. you're a good person for that. now go draw some more.. .and no ciggies.. - JAG

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast