Thanks

Frazetta anatomy studies

Just thought I'd share this link I found; really cool stuff.

Frazetta anatomy studies

Enjoy
    _wil

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    he studied Bridgman.
    -A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

Thanks
    Whoa, I remember seeing these before I knew who Bridgman was...awesome. If this doesn't inspire people to study then I don't know what will!

Thanks
    looks like something you would find in the sketchbook threads here on CA...cool
    Who exactly is this minjit you ask?
    Rorke's Sketch Book of Doomy Dooomm!
    I don't want to go mommy...>.< you can't make me!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”
    --Robert McCloskey quote

Thanks
    So, in essence, everyone here has the ability to be as great as him.

Make that notion work for you!

Thanks
    Great find Wil. I think everyone and their mother has at least done one drawing from the bridgman book. Maybe I should copy every page from that book too, then I can say I have learned my anatomy and be a master, mwahaha!
    Frazetta is cool, My favorite part of his paintings are the women's asses.
    Thanks again Wil. good find, even he had to start from the beginning.
    TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    SSG Gilded

Wertle : Snowsfall : redFIVE : Danomight : Interceptor : bengonzalez : Kittywolf13 : Poise

Thanks
    Copying Bridgman won't work for everyone, and in fact doesn't work for most people. His books for some time were the easiest to come by, I'm sure they failed thousands of people, however they would have worked for a few, Frazetta being one of them. Those few would then spread the word of Bridgman's books, and increase his popularity. He's said to have been a good teacher in person though, that doesn't mean he could write books though. What is needed is variety. I'm coming in here after just having read the Marco DVD thread, where Jason Manley commends his unorthodox approach and also mentions how the art school formula fails 95% of it's students. Diversity is what is needed not more Bridgman. Look at lots of different guys and methods.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by armando
    Copying Bridgman won't work for everyone, and in fact doesn't work for most people. His books for some time were the easiest to come by, I'm sure they failed thousands of people, however they would have worked for a few, Frazetta being one of them. Those few would then spread the word of Bridgman's books, and increase his popularity. He's said to have been a good teacher in person though, that doesn't mean he could write books though. What is needed is variety. I'm coming in here after just having read the Marco DVD thread, where Jason Manley commends his unorthodox approach and also mentions how the art school formula fails 95% of it's students. Diversity is what is needed not more Bridgman. Look at lots of different guys and methods.
    you obviously dont know what your talking about. bridgeman didnt write the books, his students did based of his classes. if bridgeman didnt work for most people, why is he the "go to" guy for anatomy. yes hes hard to study from at time, but at others he breaks down the mechanics of how your arm or legs works its almost impossible to think that you wouldnt learn something from it. also i wouldnt say that schools fail 95% of students, and i only say this cause i was in a art program, and 95% the the kids in for their majors, were taking the classes with a nonchalant attitude, thinking that if they just pass the class, they get better in art. then once they realize they suck, they blame the school. before you go saying things you have no insight in, think first.

BTW Bridgeman is my homeboy
    -=[ Sinister Six Sketch Group ]=-
    -=[ Cookiedough Fooxoo |ntern Hyver Character Evildisco]=-

Thanks
    Doesn't matter who put the books together as they aren't well done, the information has to be dug out when it should be clearly and logically presented. They're unapproachable to beginners, and the depth of information isn't deep enough for someone with advanced knowledge of anatomy. The information about his students isn't common knowledge, it seems that that should be put in the introductions but it isn't. Doesn't make sense that I should have to search for the true author of a book. Someone told you about it? as you've told me. So that critisism is no longer valid, as my opinion remains the same.

"Why is he the "go to" guy" My speculation is that because Bridgman was a popular teacher at the Art Students League, the books would then be endorsed by many students, his method would have worked for them as they had the guy there to explain his ideas. Those books were one of the few sources for anatomy in the early 20th century, Nicolaides and Loomis both recommend his book(Niccolaides worked at art students league, I'm not sure if Loomis went there). So the popularity builds and the books sell, but because of their esoteric nature only a few people 'get it'. I don't know enough about art history to know whether there was a corresponding jump in anatomical rendering at this time, but I doubt it(I'll have to study this, thanks for challenging me). It's my belief that the books won't work for someone studying alone, they require too much supplementation and explanation, hence "he's hard to study at time". Note too that Frazetta had the book shown to him by someone who had gone through it, he had the added benefit of seeing the technique done in person by people who already figured it out. I'll also point out that that link has various art myths, for example the way Frank's talent is found.(Psychoanalytic Explorations in Art)

Quoted Jason Manley about the 95%, of course that doesn't make it objective truth but I still trust his experience.

My belief that Bridgman's books don't work for very many people is from evidence in the sketchbook section. My call for more diversity isn't uninsightful, it's the truth. Experience with other anatomy books will give a broader view of the subject, for example I find R.G.Hatton's presentation of the subject much more scholarly. Different people will form a rapport with different teaching styles, the over popularity of Bridgman books limits the number of other books/methods becoming popular, which drops the number of potential artists.

Thanks
    haha you really have no idea what your talking about. true bridgeman is hard to study, but show me an easy way to study anatomy. you wont find a better anatomy book for artists, and that speaking from experience. not only mine, but when you see an artist whos been in the field for 20 or so yrs (teaching included) say the same thing, its hard to argue that. once you know how to study bridgeman, you will not find a better anatomy book for artist. i used to hate bridgemans stuff, cause it is very complicated, but after taking a class on anatomy based on bridgemans book, man it all makes sense.

my advice to you is before just bashing on a book you obviously dont know a lot about, take a better look at it. if the majority of professionals (ive never met a professional who disliked bridgeman tho) rave about a book, and a few noobs come in and say its too hard to learn, hence "poorly made", who do you think side i would satnd on?

BTW frazettas studies are freaking nice, and sorry for the hijack of the thread
    -=[ Sinister Six Sketch Group ]=-
    -=[ Cookiedough Fooxoo |ntern Hyver Character Evildisco]=-

Thanks
    I completely hate the Bridgeman book I have too. I don't feel I should like it because someone else does so that point is rather useless.

I also don't think that Frazetta stopped with Bridgeman despite his funny quote that he learned his anatomy in 1 night.

Thanks
    Well I just got Bridgman's "Complete Guide to Drawing from Life" today. (I *heart* you Bumskee if you're reading this btw.)

It seems pretty good so far, yeah the writing is a wee bit old fashioned but the principles are all there. It's probably not the best for beginners either.

A single book can't give you "the whole deal" in terms of a learning guide and there will be no book out that will ever replace actual life drawing and self-guided experimentation.
    *Tres Cute Sketch Group*
    ---no added monosodiumglutamate!!!---

Thanks
    so frazetta studied bridgman. just because someone reads the book doesnt mean that they will be a master overnight. frazetta wasnt a master overnight. it would pay, i think, to take some time to read the rest of the pages on that site, cause its a really interesting read (basically a big bio of frazetta). it takes just years upon years of studying, and no, one book by itself is not gonna be the be all and end all of anatomy. i think however, bridgman approaches anatomy from not just the "this is the deltoid, it looks like this, it connects here" simple aesthetics of anatomy, but in his book series (like the human machine and constructive anatomy) he approaches it also from a function standpoint, like "the sartorius connects the bottom of the shoulder blades to the ribs, and it brings the arm forward and up", which will get you more thinking about how the different muscles would react in a certain pose in a logical manner. no, its not a simple book, but anatomy isnt a simple subject to tackle. takes years, decades, even lifetimes to master. i find that all the different sources used to study anatomy complement each other in different ways, that one fills in pieces that maybe you won't necessarily understand or see in another book. and yeah, some books are clearer to some people than others, just as some teachers vibe with the way certain people learn whereas others just don't. i personally recommend bridgman, but just be sure to get as many sources as you can (other books, life drawing, quick gesturing, etc.), and then, study until your hands fall off. cause bridgman ain't gonna draw for you.

so go draw. what are YOU doin?

my 2 yen.
    peace.
    -A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

Thanks
    I believe frazetta could of learned anatomy overnight. Maybe he had a great memory. Not saying he could of drawn everything perfect but he probaly could of done a good job at putting down all the information he gained that one night.

Thanks
    *waits for Chuck Norris-esque Frazetta myths*

Thanks
    I actually borrowed Bridgeman's Complete Guide and liked it. It definitely isn't a book that you read from cover to cover or a step-by-step, but I liked his approach and his style. I'm looking to buy my own copy at some point.

Now I've been reading Robert Beverly Hale's Master Class in Figure Drawing. This book is cool- he takes classic works by some guys named DaVinci, Durer, Ruebens...

...and breaks down the principles they might have used in constructing the figure (ball, cylinder, cube, line quality, size relationship, etc.) It's the business.
    "Afraid not of none of you cowards but of my own strength"

Gallery

Thanks
    From Frazetta's bio:

"...When Ralph took over he pulled me aside and said, "Frank, you stuff is great, but you need to learn some anatomy." When I was in school with Falanga the emphasis was on feeling, not on the nuts and bolts, so I really didn't understand what he meant by 'anatomy.' So Ralph handed me an anatomy book and when I went home that night I had decided to learn anatomy. I started with page one and copied the entire book–everything, in one night, from the skeleton up. I came back the next day like a dumb kid and said, "Thank you very much, I just learned my anatomy." Of course Ralph fell over and roared with laughter. "Frankie, you silly bastard! I've been studying for ten years and I still don't know anatomy, and you went home and learned it last night?!" But the thing was I had learned an awful lot. I had the ability to absorb things and he saw an improvement in my work right away. It amazed him and that meant a lot to me. From that point on I developed pretty rapidly: I started to do things with figures that made sense."

People take this quote out of context way too much. He says himself he was being a dumb kid when he said that.

Thanks
    As for being hard to study bridgeman, i dont think its a matter of how well a book is put together. I actually think the perfect anatomy book for me would be without anywords at all. I believe Its a matter of how well you observe things.

Thanks
    just read and understand for crying out loud.

Thanks
    Frazetta is playfully very boastful of his himself and his abilities. The thing is he can back up those boasts with facts. I'm sure he was mostly joking around about learning anatomy in one night, but he did seem to have a capacity at a very early age to pick up on concepts rather quickly. He isn't considered a child prodigy for nuttin'
    Grave Sight Graphics: The Art of Eric Lofgren.
    elofgren@ telus.net (to use e-mail address please remove space between the '@' and 'telus')

My Art Blog
    My Online Portfolio (Updated Jan. 30/ 2011)
    ~NiNjA~^~mOuNtAiN~^~PoDcAsT~(Working illustrators talking illustration)
    Eric Lofgren's licensible rpg art resource
    Art Director for New Gods of Raanon