Advice about Freelancing

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Advice about Freelancing

Hi everyone,
    I was wondering if anyone has any advice about freelancing/working from home?

Does anyone know any good agencies (preferably in the UK) where I can get commissions etc without being ripped off?

I am considering becoming a freelance artist in the future and would appreciate any tips or advice, especially about legal stuff (relevent for the UK of course).

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I will tell you this,
    I freelance almost on a daily basis, and the first thing a potential customer will look at is your portfolio. Studies have shown that a regular chum will need to be grabbed by the initial first impression within seconds of reaching your website- or else they're gone. It usually takes a regular chum 10 seconds to determine wether or not they like your site. Now cut that time in half for a potential customer/employer.
    Having said that, your website/portfolio is awful, its tacky, un-navigational, non-user friendly, the rather large graphics you have decorating the main page are below, low resolution and they are cropped off. THe theme seems off aswell, you have monsters and zombies-but your theme is outer space. ??
    If I were you, Id keep a neutral theme throughout, neutralize the colors and SIMPLIFY it. Those navigating buttons you have...what are they supposed to be?
    your portfolio includes some stuff that was obviously your first works, remember you always want to show your best first, then show them your progress pieces as a bonus and if they want to see it. You really need to work on anatomy,proportions and perspective( not that Im the guy to ask of such things)
    work on fixing that and I'll direct you on the right direction regarding your freelance career.

J.L. ALFARO

"Be who you are and say what you feel,because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, thank you for being so honest. It was hard to hear, but I it's always good to get the truth about such things.

The trouble is, I'm not good at website design, but I agree I need to re-think it.
    I am still learning anatomy, perspective etc, so I'll keep at it and hopefully I can improve.

Thanks for taking the time to look at my site, I appreciate your comments.

I'll get to work as soon as I can!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Becky, if you are not-so-good at webdesign,( as most of us arent) send me a pm and I can direct you to some good places, and/or some good people/friends who do programing and scripting as well as web design. They wont charge you an arm and a leg to get it going and make it look good. let me know.

J.L. ALFARO

"Be who you are and say what you feel,because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know where's your web site but I can give you pointers if you want since I'm studying in web design multimedia, it's free lol but i won't be doing the job for you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, my website is www.cybertrooperstudios.com. Any ideas would be great.

"Becky, if you are not-so-good at webdesign,( as most of us arent) send me a pm and I can direct you to some good places, and/or some good people/friends who do programing and scripting as well as web design. They wont charge you an arm and a leg to get it going and make it look good. let me know"

Thanks, but I think my sister can help me out. I'll let you know if I need anyone else.

Members who have read this thread: 1