Gremlin Dude
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Gremlin Dude

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Gremlin Dude

Hey just joined the forum here. I've been working on this one in my spare time for a bit. Just want to get some good input on what I can do to make this thing as good as possible.
    The idea with this painting is that Im going to have it printed onto a guitar I'm building right now as well. Maybe I'll post my photoshop comp of the guitar next.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Egads - he has a tree branch growing into his eye! You might want to fix that.

I would like to see how you're planning to fit this on your guitar. What a fun idea!

The yellow light with purple kind of says "I'm new to calculating lights and colors from imagination." In other words, it's over-the-top saturated, and a bit inaccurate. Saturated lights are hard to work with - they cause colored surfaces to be illuminated in complex ways.

But anyway, if it isn't realism you're going for, you can let the lights do funny things.

I can't comment on composition, since I don't know how this will be cropped. And I'll let someone else comment on the dude's anatomy.

Personally, I'd go for some simple patterns if I were decorating my instrument, but that's a personal thang. ;-)

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks seedling, heres the guitar idea. I started painting this picture before I designed the guitar. It was kind of an after thought to throw it onto the guitar idea I had, so I did up a comp and it seemed to fit ok.
    The thing with this guitar is that I want to have the image printed on to the pic gaurd. Then I will go buy more pic gaurd material and have different images printed onto multiple pic gaurds. Basically it works like a face plate to the guitar.

As for the image itself. I have the contrast/saturation a bit high I agree. The thing is, idealy I'd like to have it look like hes in a damp environment and the light is reflecting off of wet surfaces a lot. I just havent really been able to capture that feeling yet. Thats where I think I need the most direction with this image.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like the old ibanez talman series. Are these just for show? Cos a complex image on a pickguard is going to be very obscured when you're playing it, and sideways.

That said, If you're cropping it like that for the pickguard, obviously you need to focus more on the creature and less on the background/tree. For starters, the pectoral and right arm seem to be rendered as one piece. Take alook at some human anatomy for a reference when building a humanoid creature. The musclature should be somewhat similiar. Also check the hands, seem to be different sizes.

I see what you're trying to do with the light. Check out what Seedling was saying, it seems like in your oversaturation you've also overrendered a bit, especially on the skull and ribs. Did you pencil this out first? The shapes should come from the contour of the line before they come from the light and shade.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for putting up the guitar pic. Fun fun!

For wet green skin, look at pictures of tropical frogs.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heh, its a regular guitar, not a bass, but thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    On your guitar...there is a good gradient of light value to dark value going on. You might want to work on how you place the knees as they don't communicate very will right now.

[][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][]>

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.