Hello and a Career change question

View testimonialsView Artwork

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hello and a Career change question

Hi folks,

New member here and just wanted to introduce myself and ask a question. I'm an electrical engineer by profession who is currently unemployed. I've always loved art, comics, movies, fantasy, sci fi, video games, etc. and have been taking drawing classes for a year now.

At first it was just a hobby, but now I am seriously considering a drastic career change into the field of art, specifically video games. My end goal is to do concept work, but I am currently taking classes in 3D Studio Max and photoshop to get my foot in the door.

Has anyone here made or thought of making a career change into this field?

I realize that it's a long bumpy road, but how do you keep your drive and motivation during the down times?

I'd appreciate any other helpful tips as well. Thanks in advance!

Dzu

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile ooh almost same situation!

I thought I was the only one who has this "problem"!
    :chug:
    Currently,I am in the final year(4th) of University Education. I major in Industrial engineering..ooh and my grade(GPA) is also quite "bad" right now(resulting from my dislike and laziness).

Since I entered University 3 years ago,I always have one naggin question in my mind,which is "What kind of work that I love to do?" (I got in the field of engineering mainly because of friends and the money--- wrong choice)

Now (in the 4th year!)I just got the answer---I love doing concept ART....damn why didn't I know sooner...

My situation is generally the same as yours,except that I
    have another big obstacle to overcome----I'm in Thailand-- this country does't have game company(not that I know of)

anyhoo,Just sharing my story,please don't get bored,have a beer :beer:

oh,almost forgot,if you're still here,this thread of Josh Frankel might help you: here

Follow your dream!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can totally relate. a couple of years back I decided to flush my military career as an aircraft mechanic and be an artist full time. I went to school to learn 3D and then got a job in the gaming industry.
    It was a huge step to shit-can my career of 14 years, with a family of 4. I can tell you that if you DO decide to do it, don't do it half assed. You gotta go in full bore and don't expect it to be cheap. But so far I have no regrets at all.

As far as keepng drive and motivation, I had 110% support from my better half (wife), and the dream of doing this was enough to pull me over those rough times. plus I can credit pros in the industry that helped me out when they didn't have to, replied to my desperate emails and they didn't have to, and take time out of their busy schedules to show me some things.

Good Luck!!

Mitch

There was much rejoicing in the realm of the Harvest Gods when man created the beer, light could not penetrate.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mcotie For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.