Thanks

Question Setting up a digi painting (resolution etc)

Ok sorry this isnt in the fine arts thread but I thought my question would be heard here better . Ok ill keep it quick. When you are about to start up a general photoshop painting what is a good resolution and bit to have?
    Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    hey Mr.man

I usually start with a resolution of at least 300 dpi and a canvas size of (generally) 3000 x 3000 pixels, which equates to 10 inches by 10 inches. Sometimes I go larger, but that's the base size.
    My Sketchbook :: Phantasmagoria
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Illustration Portfolio :: jasonsnair.carbonmade.com
    Design Portfolio :: jasonsnairdesign.carbonmade.com
    My Blog -- Feed Me Toast!

Thanks
    wow thats pretty massive. Do you shrink it down afterwards or something?

Thanks
    Um, in my experience a picture in that resolution and size comes out as about an A4 size print, a decent one that is. Correct me if i'"m wrong here. But i'm pretty sure you don't need to go smaller.

Thanks
    Ok when Im painting on this size should I set to actual pixels/fit on screen etc. Trouble is when you zoom out is that it becomes distorted and laddery and being too close its extremley hard navigate, any tips at all to moving around?

Thanks for the help ^^

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Man
    being too close its extremley hard navigate, any tips at all to moving around?
    This is probably stating the really obvious, but hold the space bar and it'll temporarily activate the hand tool in PS or Painter so you can scroll around, release it and start painting again- you can map it to one of the keys on your tablet/pen if you want.

Regarding size, remember that it's very, very easy to shrink images digitally but trickier going the other way so if your computer can handle it you may as well work big. (it's probably not a bad idea to get used to working at a printable size anyway.)

Thanks
    If you're not working at at least 300 dpi 3000by3000 then you're throwing whatever work you put into your painting out of the window! because you won't be able to use it for anything other than looking at your screen.....

If your comp gives you trouble (size wise), buy some RAM. thats the bottom line.

Thanks
    Thanks for the advice everyone. Just trying to paint a skull atm ,ive got 1024 ram (if thats the correct number). I get a tiny bit of slow down from large brushes but its runnig quite smooth otherwise.

Thanks again!

Thanks
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that when you are working on your sketch or rough color--you can do it at a smaller, RAM-happy size. This keeps your comp from lagging, and you lose nothing once you're ready to upscale it for detail.

Go for the big dpi/print size once you're going to add detail.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Man
    Trouble is when you zoom out is that it becomes distorted and laddery and being too close its extremley hard navigate, any tips at all to moving around?
    When zooming out, keep in mind that there is no half pixel on a computer screen. From what i have see, the values 50% 25% 12,5% and so on will keep the image from look distorted and 25% zoom out (always at 300dpi) is almost the actual print size, which is very handy if you want to keep a genera idea of what you do and not get carry away and avoid create unnecessary noise.

As for original question, I'll agree with Mirana, if you go for something painterly, start with relatively small image, block out the shapes then increase image size and work the details from there on.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirana
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that when you are working on your sketch or rough color--you can do it at a smaller, RAM-happy size. This keeps your comp from lagging, and you lose nothing once you're ready to upscale it for detail.

Go for the big dpi/print size once you're going to add detail.
    How do you do that?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Do your sketches / thumbs at a tiny res then once you want to work into them with more detail go to Image > Image Resize.

It'll lose quality but you'll be painting over it anyhow.

Thanks
    Hi Mr Man,

let´s forget for a moment talking about ppi and dpi. The most important thing is that you need to know what you want to do with the picture. Is it just a rough sketch you can see what fits in 100 % on your window. I´ve seen a lot of people working in sketch mode with height of abotu 800 to a width of 600.

If you want to produce your picture as a print normally a resolution of 2480 x 3500 pixel would be fine - this means you can produce a size of about A4 with about a 152 lpi screen / 300dpi (I won´t go into prepress depth here). This should be enough for most uses. I myself am more colouring my drawings so I´m normally working big but a lot of pros that I´ve seen working painterly or completely on a computer start with a sketch or thumbnail of maybe 400 x 600 or 600 by 800 pixel and enlarge this sketch later if the composition is o.k. to a normal printing optimized size and tighten it up there.

Hope I could help

Fipse
    <Insert witty remark here>

Thanks
    Thanks fipse thats actually shed alot of light on it now, thanks alot for the help

Flake Ahh, I didnt realise mirana meant resize the image. I was getting confused with this bobby chiu window thing.