Sketchbook: Pencil, Ink , Creativity a flowin. ChAnnIns Sketchbook?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pencil, Ink , Creativity a flowin. ChAnnIns Sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Pencil, Ink , Creativity a flowin. ChAnnIns Sketchbook?

Hi. Love this forum. Much inspiration from all of you guys. Thx ! Finally got a scanner and decided to share some recent sketches,drawing, studies. So thx for taking a look.

was photoshopped.

I wanted to work on rubbing? i think thats what its called. This is from Michaelangelos "moses" statue.

this is michaelangelos "rebellious and dying slaves" I liked the figures all flowing into each other. Never finished it though.

a knight character.

Ive got a sad fascination with the comic book artist Joe Madureira. Heres me trying to borrow his style with this kickboxer. I need to tighten up my linework.

spur of the moment. a female knight whos bored. I photoshopped the heck out of it. I might work on it some more. Critique?

Joe mad style (or trying to be. ) Comic book style is soooo hard.

some anatomy refs. Much work needed!.

Thats all i got for now. Many more to come if this thread gets any attention.
    So thanks for stopping by.
    My names channin sanford, 21 yrs old from VA usa. Im uneducated in fine arts but cant seem to stop picking up that pencil!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Channin; April 19th, 2007 at 02:01 PM. Reason: steadily transferring images to the attachment manager...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    photoshop filters are not helping your pictues in any way, it makes the image look much worse than if ou tired to aceive the same look by hand

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    uh thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

FOUND! old sketchbook +new sketches

Hi, not much activity here but I am relentless. Please take a look at these and gimme some feedback. A few are new, but a few are about six months old. thx.
    -channin

just some basic sketchbook stuff here ,these are about five months old:

some characters, also about five months old (note my self criticism):

random sketch with gratuitous violence i like the monsters face, and a sketch of a photograph:

I love this character. Ive been trying to create a dark sort of shiva thing for a while, this is my most recent attempt:

another character, shes supposed to be walking through the cosmos, spreading stars across the galaxy. I have so many ideas but i cant paint worth a damn. (no patience) these drawings usually take 20 minutes or so:

yet another character. actually the next two are the same one. I love using pens.

This is all messed up , her arms are waaaaaaaaay off and i think her chest is a bit too big even for comics.

so theres some more of my stuff. hope you guys at least see it and if you feel like leaving a comment that would be awesome. Some advice would be warmly recieved.
    Oh and the thing about the photoshop filters, Like i said Ive never put my stuff on the computer. I found it fascinating. And I dont have the time to do those things by hand. Thanks though. Cya soon?
    -channin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

inspired by true events....

HI.
    straight from the page untouched. Hand cramp anyone?

a start to what i intend to do with it:

more creepiness , looks like a political poster , maybe orc recruiting?

half of a large drawing, maybe two feet across ?

and the second half...far from finished, plus i hope to gather the patience to ink this one like the ones above.

thats it for now, I have'nt been drawing much lately. But I hope you guys see this stuff , maybe leave some words of wisdom. I am a novice with photoshop, its awkard and tedious but I have found some good tips on these forums. Thanks.
    channin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great sketchs I love the entire look and feel of your artwork. It's really imaginative. Keep on posting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    geewesley- Thanks man, some much needed words of encouragement. I havent been inspired at all lately. Kinda scaring me... new sketches soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wow , It's been a while.

Hello everybody!

Some new sketches straight from my ...erm eh...sketchbook.

I want to paint this one on a fifty foot wall:

Been tryin different face shapes , features etc.

Rather spontaneaous sketch of a naked flowerpainting fairie.

Boriiiiiinnggg...:

Love these two:

And something I did last night , more of an idea gathering thing. I wish I had the time (and money) to do complete works:

Well , thx for dropping by.

-Channin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

More mediocrity!

HAVE A NICE DAY!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Now In Color Woot.

I have no clue what to do next. I know there are ten billion people on this forum.. hardly any room for a newbie to recieve some attention. Anyone know how to get an image next to my sketchbook thread?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cant see why you dont get mutch attention, you've got some great character concepts
    Anatomy is a bit off some places, but just study and it will fix itself.
    must say your B/W chars is the best, the colored ones is very unfinished and kind of hart to crit...

keep sharing...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah thank you chillpill.
    I have basically taught myself everything I know about photoshop/painting.
    (which is very little.)
    Thx for commenting though. It's quite refreshing lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Delving deeper into...Shit

These are for a story im writing. Maybe a comic, or a movie . W/e. Colors just to see what would work what would'nt.

Would love to hook up with a writer. Or an artist. Collaboration would be fun.

-Channin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another one forgot to post .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't like the last one, sorry. Try to draw much from life, don't draw cartoons, instead draw people etc, things from life and apply it to your drawings.. If you make a drawing that you're not satisfied with, erase it and re-do it until it's the way you want it to. I know, it's a pain in the butthole! You have any anatomy books? Anyway eep up the drawing! And update here!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi. Wait you mean you don't like the painting sarco? Or you don't like the two before it. Sorry mate but my heart lies in comics. Don't get me wrong I have drawn from life ...my whole life.
    I have done studies and stuff. I was in love with Michaelangelo for a long time (see top of thread) . I like to represent things with as few lines as possible. I want to draw what I WANT people to see , not what IS.
    But thank you for you comment .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Yea... so this is a Wip

Name:  badlands.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  170.0 KBA concept for a badlands/desert sorta enviro. Really getting stuck on these environments since I stumbled across the EOW forums.

Its a work in progress. Working on it now. Will update in a bit.

Last edited by Channin; April 19th, 2007 at 02:03 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool SB! Im digging these, Just love the angular shapes and solid
    balance!
    http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p...ches2_3_07.jpg

Links
    Scetch Book
    AnimationMentor Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thx man. I dont spend alot of time on any of my sketches. I try to get as much movement / feeling with as few lines as possible.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey channin.

I really like the organic lines in this piece http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p...rlfiltered.jpg
    and i like your "smudge" studies in your first post. It's also pretty good that you're experimenting with subject matter you find difficult - i.e. landscapes

Hi. Wait you mean you don't like the painting sarco? Or you don't like the two before it. Sorry mate but my heart lies in comics. Don't get me wrong I have drawn from life ...my whole life.
    I have done studies and stuff. I was in love with Michaelangelo for a long time (see top of thread) . I like to represent things with as few lines as possible. I want to draw what I WANT people to see , not what IS.
    But thank you for you comment .
    However, you might want to shed that attitude if you really want to push your art to the next level. I like your cartoons and i can see a nice 'angular' style developing in your art, however, your work has some anatomical flaws that stand out, and you seem to be repeating these flaws. The reason you do life studies and master studies isn't to emulate davinici's style or draw realistically, but to LEARN to 'rules' of anatomy so you know how to exaggerate them properly.

This doesn't mean you should give up your cartoony style entirely, it just means you should be doing more life and figure studies on the side and incorporate what you learn from them into your personal work

I did a really quick paintover of one of your sketches to point out some mistakes you've been making.
    - Women have curvy torsos; not straight and rigid
    - sketch the figure out before you put clothing on it

Also, i suggest you do some facial studies too

Anyway, hope I didn't come off as an asshole! I like your work, please do keep it up

-N

As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle being swept along is no longer enough.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow , first reallllly helpful comment. Thank you so much . I absolutely positively understand the reason for studies. But I'm slack . But after hanging around these forums for a couple months I'm starting to understand what it is to really want to "be" an artist. I've looked at a couple art schools recently and I know they would laugh at my stuff.
    It is my intention to get serious about the art of sketching. Thank you for your words of wisdom bunny and taking the time to do the sketchover. It means alot. And no , you don't come off as an asshole.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

update badlands composition

Changed the foreground, added an olive hue to shadowy areas and started messing around with different brushes.
    I also added some interesting elements to the backround. Looking at it now , I see this piece has got alot of work to be done on it. Comments pah-leeze!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Listen to Bunny, he makes some very valid points. A part from that, if you want to do environments, learn the "anatomy" of environments, also. That means about how weather works, how different kinds of ground looks and so on. also do some perspective study, and do all basic things in general and never stop experimenting (Damn this is more a note for myself than a critique, oh well)

Keep at it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A little here...A little there.

Ok. So taking into consideration the comments I've received so far I thought about doing some real sketches. So armed with a six pack , two mirrors , my body and a bathroom I produced the following:

Last edited by Channin; April 29th, 2007 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Changing Image size

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

One more ...

This is the furthest progress of my "badlands" composition. Its shaping up a little.. Oh p.s. Sorry about the image size in the last post. I don't know why they came up that big. I'm scanning my stuff onto my laptop then using a cruzer mini to transfer everything over to my computer. I'll figure it out and post those last ones smaller.

-channin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey welcome to the forums!
    The last painting is looking pretty good. Are you using the smudge tool? you probably dont want to use that so soon in the painting. You've definitely got a feeling of depth already though and thats important in environments.
    Also your last sketches are looking good. Just pay some extra attention to the connection of the head and neck, it seems to be getting a little lost.
    What I usually do with scans before i post is either crop a certain area or resize to 800x600, or the highest pixel number to 800.
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Channin, nice book you have hear, I really like your concept ideas, and your rough enviornment designs. Great flow of anatomy studies also, Keep mixing it up like your doing. One thing about this last update is your colors meshing together well. That orange in the mid ground is extremely saturated drawing my eye straight there. I would look at pictures of nature and other artist here on the site that are excellent at environment design. M@, Mr. Blonde, are a few that come to mind. When you go outside and look at nature, pictures and other peoples work. Look at the transition of value from foreground, midground and background. Keep up the anatomy studies as well as drawing from your imagination, like your doing

Will be around,
    Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there,

Some new stuff..from the 26th of april to today:

Chaotic- Thanks for the image size tip . Updating those really big images now. Probably make the Download faster too. And yeah , sometimes I go off on a smudge tool tangent. But I'm slowly getting over it. Also I see what you mean about the head and neck . I have always had a hard time getting that right. Thx for the comments!

DarkTwin- Thx for taking a look! I have not had time to browse the forums that much as of late, cause I've been drawing/painting so much! But I will definately take a look at the work of those you mentioned.

This last painting is a work in progress... So far I have spent about an hour and fifteen minutes on it. I think it's coming along nicely..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, uh...just a quickie. Been busy with work lately. Have a nice day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.