Art: looking for advice on describing light & shadow on imaginative figures

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

looking for advice on describing light & shadow on imaginative figures

I find this a bit tricky to do without the use of references. What are some ways in which I can improve on this?

I figured that comic book artists are really good at this, so I'd be more than happy to get some tips from them.

Thanks everyone.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not a comicbook artist. But you could try drawing your lightsource on the paper itself, after you've drawn in your figure. (draw a lightbulb or just a dot where the light will radiate from) now figure out where this light lies in space?(infront of the character? infront to the side? behind? above and behind? above and infront?) Now whatever you've decided to go with, realize the figure is made up of very basic forms, Cylinders, Cubes, and Spheres. (arms can be cylinders, head can be cylinder, sphere, cube, whatever) Now its just a matter of understanding how light and shadow work and applying it to those basic forms. (i would say work from the largest masses to the smaller masses)

here are some examples, notice how simple and how basic he keeps it.

http://www.characterdesigns.com/band..._chen_0146.jpg

http://www.characterdesigns.com/band..._chen_0149.jpg

http://www.characterdesigns.com/band...tudies_035.jpg

the cones floating in space are the indications of his light source.

also a sexy quote i just saw yesterday.

“ It is very good to copy what one sees; it is much better to draw what you can't see any more but is in your memory. It is a transformation in which imagination and memory work together. You only reproduce what struck you, that is to say the necessary. „ -Edgar Degas

anyway hope that helps a lil

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It helps me sometimes to do quick sketches and apply very basic shading and shadows to them. Map in lightly where you want the shadows to be and then just fill it all in really quick. Also studying different types of lighting situations might help out.

Cave House Studios - creative animation and video
    What the Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've generally done alot of studying of people or pictures of people. If you study how light works, and how it falls, you can eventually make things work on an image from your mind.

And as with everything, practice practice practice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is where studying anatomy and Knowing the major forms of the body are Important, not just in the figure but lighting as well. visualize your painting as simple as possible then just simply block in shadows, to know exactly where to put them just requires lots of practice and patients studying objects and figures. I'm sure you have a sketch book. There is know substitution for learing from life. when your sketching pay close attention to what the light/shadow is doing study those forms.

Artist|S2 Games.
    my sketch blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep using reference. The more you use it, the less you will need it when drawing from your imagination. After I'm done a line drawing, I'll grab some reference before I start to render it out. It makes my work so much stronger.

Also check out this sample from Pixel Corps. Iain McCaig did a lecture that they recorded. It's long, about 20 minutes if I remember and you need quicktime but it's drawing 101 by Iain McCaig. Near the end he talks about shading. His analogy is classic. It's like you're in the shower and the water falling down on you is light. Iain explains it so much better than I can. http://www.pixelcorps.com/info.php

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    PLANES!
    Learn to conceptualise the planes of the head and body when you draw from life. When working from life or reference, the light gives you the planes. When working from your head, the planes give you the light.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Members who have read this thread: 1