Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Angry studio rant and other things related

my studio at the moment is a large white room with not enough natural light with 70 other rather spotty and un taltented artist wanna be's who think there portflios should only house pencil studies and a tiny bit of water colour paints and colouring pencils all drawn in the samey fashion or copying from someone else work and ideas. a number of large wodden tables a few sinks and the odd computer thrown in its small and crampted and i have a habbit of loosing art work coz other people steal things from ur draw locker or even my tool box where i store my matrials nothing is ur own in the envoirtment i work in and its not far really i've begain questioning weather i should be in the art trade due to the number of kids who think art is the easy way out from getting a job and getting their EMA momey which is blown on booze drugs and anything else that the money shouldnt be spent on when the EMA money funding is surpose to be spent on the things they need to go to college. half hearted and lazyness i think is spoiling the art trade as some poeple go into it and dont realise how much effort time and money goes into it. but thats my thoughts on the matter

does any one else think that some poeple come into art for all the wrong reason yes there is talented young artists out there but alot of people believe art is the easy way to go i would like to hear / read everyone elses oppions on this matter weather u agree or dis agree with me and state why.

thanks

poison art
    SHINEY ITS SHINEY!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    What's EMA money? Are you at school or at work?

I hear you about the white walls and not enough natural light. My "studio" is literally a cubicle with plain white walls all the way around and a white desktop (and the standard white acoustical ceiling tile--the stuff with all the little holes you see at every office...at least in the States), and fluorescent lights above, and a cool gray industrial carpet below. While, granted, I work pretty much strictly on the computer, it's not an environment that exactly sparks creativity (quite the opposite, actually--I always want to leave early). Often times if I really get into a scene or something that I'm working on I'll have no idea that it's turned dark outside, because there's absolutely no change in lighting for me.

As far as people going into art for all the wrong reasons--I don't think I entirely agree. It's not like people get into art to get rich--which, to me, is entirely the wrong reason. I think it's acceptable for people to get in because they can't stand doing anything else. Besides, the industry will weed out those people who think art is the easy way out. So, just don't worry about them, just keep trying to get better and you shouldn't have to deal with them later on.

-Chris

Thanks
    EMA is a grant given in the UK (England and Wales at least) for people staying on in further education. You get it if you go to a state school and it's basically to help you live during 16-18 (and maybe a little bit more?) when your peers not in education have a job, but you don't and your parents are probably going to stop funding you as often as they did before.

It's an insentive/aid, but as Poison put it, it's usually just spent on drugs.

Thanks
    college its a new building a modern one they wont allow us to display art work or anything my studio at home is the floor in a room i can be alone in. in my old college building we had painted the studio walls a sceen for each differnt person and that was i good way of working because u werent allowed near someelse work this yr is awful i'm lack constration and stuff it sucks but hey u cant have it all one way i'll post my GCSE work and some college work at some point and let u all see where i started at n how i've come onlong over the last 4 yrs
    SHINEY ITS SHINEY!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhynome
    EMA is a grant given in the UK (England and Wales at least) for people staying on in further education. You get it if you go to a state school and it's basically to help you live during 16-18 (and maybe a little bit more?) when your peers not in education have a job, but you don't and your parents are probably going to stop funding you as often as they did before.

It's an insentive/aid, but as Poison put it, it's usually just spent on drugs.

i'm 19 in december i get it until i finish this college year after that i have to have a ALG (adult learning grant) but i'll be in uni by then hopefully other than that its money the goverment pays u and its wasted on drugs and booze so it isnt really helping their schooling my sister blow her EMA on cloths food and booze and not her college stuff totaling £180 wasted and my EMA was spent feeding my family for the week end but other than that the money is poured down the drain
    SHINEY ITS SHINEY!

Thanks
    Poison_art stay at home and do your work. This school you are going to seems like they aren't supplying you with what you need, and people are stealing artwork, shame on them. I would suggest if you need better lighting, get cool and warm Strip Fluorescent lights (example of fixture:http://www.1000bulbs.com/product.php?product=30624, set one cool light( cool white, phillips brand) right next to one warm light(soft light, phillips brand) together, hang it up on your ceiling and walla! a great substitute for natural lighting. In the day time I usually cover my windows to block out the light, so at night the light in my studio stays consistent.
    TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    SSG Gilded

Wertle : Snowsfall : redFIVE : Danomight : Interceptor : bengonzalez : Kittywolf13 : Poise

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    Donít waste your time worrying about what other students are and are not doing. Buy a padlock, a box that the lock can be used on, and a cheap lamp. Guard your art and donít sweat the minor supplies that go missing. Work your tail off and get a job. Later, when you are a successful artist, you can give back to the community by getting involved in reforming art education. At the moment, however, you need to focus on learning.

Also, if you are posting on message boards, take the opportunity to hone your writing skills. You will need those eventually, too, especially if you wish to point a finger and call other people lazy.
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    What subject/ level are you studying at the moment, one of those art school portfolio preparation type courses? Just curious.

Thanks
    @ flake: N/D in art and design worth 3 a levels

@ seedling: i'm dyslexic n find writing differcult i'll remember not to bother viocing my opaions in the future clearly my dsylixia is de gradeing me from ur high standards of writing

see this is the reason i never join art forms i always get crited on my writing and people for get about the art i find it differcult enough as it is without poeple commenting it thank you
    SHINEY ITS SHINEY!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by poise
    Poison_art stay at home and do your work. This school you are going to seems like they aren't supplying you with what you need, and people are stealing artwork, shame on them. I would suggest if you need better lighting, get cool and warm Strip Fluorescent lights (example of fixture:http://www.1000bulbs.com/product.php?product=30624, set one cool light( cool white, phillips brand) right next to one warm light(soft light, phillips brand) together, hang it up on your ceiling and walla! a great substitute for natural lighting. In the day time I usually cover my windows to block out the light, so at night the light in my studio stays consistent.
    thank you for the advice posie i've been thinking about working at home for a while but my parnets think that i should go into college and do samey kinda things and its starting to bore me deeply i'll look into the lights for when i get my own place after christmas your advice is much appreacted
    SHINEY ITS SHINEY!

Thanks
    Well, if you are headed to art college, most of the wasters in your class won't be following you, so they'll be out of your hair soon enough.

Despite what joe public thinks, it's not actually that easy to get into a decent art school in the UK. When I went there were 8-900 applications for 100 places on the first year so your best plan is to ignore what everyone else is doing and make sure that your portfolio is up to standard.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flake
    Well, if you are headed to art college, most of the wasters in your class won't be following you, so they'll be out of your hair soon enough.

Despite what joe public thinks, it's not actually that easy to get into a decent art school in the UK. When I went there were 8-900 applications for 100 places on the first year so your best plan is to ignore what everyone else is doing and make sure that your portfolio is up to standard.

i've seen what standard of work art colleges look for in england i kno its going to be tough but nothing worth having in life is easy so i'm going to try my best and excel it to get to were i want to be
    SHINEY ITS SHINEY!

Thanks
    Poison Art: Iím not trying to be mean; Iím trying to help you. You will need to exhibit decent writing skills on occasion as an artist, period. This is your opportunity to practice. And particularly if you suffer from dyslexia, then you need the practice, because you have more of a hurdle to overcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Poison_art
    i kno its going to be tough but nothing worth having in life is easy so i'm going to try my best and excel it to get to were i want to be
    This is a very good attitude to have.
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Easy?EASY???

Who the hell says it is the easy way out. We have to live with the lifelong frustration that our taste will always be ahead of our skill.
    DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by evildisco
    We have to live with the lifelong frustration that our taste will always be ahead of our skill.
    A very interesting concept--I totally agree! I'm probably going to start using that in discussions with people about Art.

-Chris

Thanks
    well kids coming out school into college where i live think it is easy they get a big shock when they come to college because it is differcult i've been to two different colleges over the last 3 yrs n i have to say i perfered the first college i went to everyone had a real passion for art who was on the course and no one complianed about the tight deadlines i come back up north and its the total oppiste deadlines are being extended so that those that cant keep up can meet the deadline and those of us that can are left in the back ground its as if they are only interested in those that really struggle with the deadline rather than those who can meet them and competle the work to a high standard surely those who cant should be made to suffer rather than those who can keep with the pace because in the real world they wont be able to have the deadline extend it will be expected on the day set first time round
    SHINEY ITS SHINEY!

Thanks
    Hey poison_art Im also doing a Btec in art and design down at stratford upon avon college.
    Ive had a similar problem of distruptive people doing the course just for the hell of it. The year before last I did an intermediate to drop me in gently before diving onto the btec. In that year we had mega pratts. Ill never forget when I was making a clay troll from lotr. I went out the room to get a drink or something and when I came back my model was as flat as a pancake. I felt like a child at the seeside that had his sand castle trampled on.
    Fortunatley the person that did that isnt on my course this year however there are still the odd rebelious students who hate to learn, but its not so bad

My only advice I can think of right now is to try and get as much from this site as you can. This place fuels me and gives me tonnes of inspiration and information.
    Hope things pic up for you.

Rich
    Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Man
    Hey poison_art Im also doing a Btec in art and design down at stratford upon avon college.
    Ive had a similar problem of distruptive people doing the course just for the hell of it. The year before last I did an intermediate to drop me in gently before diving onto the btec. In that year we had mega pratts. Ill never forget when I was making a clay troll from lotr. I went out the room to get a drink or something and when I came back my model was as flat as a pancake. I felt like a child at the seeside that had his sand castle trampled on.
    Fortunatley the person that did that isnt on my course this year however there are still the odd rebelious students who hate to learn, but its not so bad

My only advice I can think of right now is to try and get as much from this site as you can. This place fuels me and gives me tonnes of inspiration and information.
    Hope things pic up for you.

Rich
    thank you rich its just annoying really i hate going to college at the moment i'm starting to question if i should even be there my old college taught me loads more than this one is and i feel i'm just covering things from the year before hence the very samey comments and that i aint progessing like i should be i'm the oldest in the year and all i really get is " come on Ash take us to the pub and buy our drinks" i hate it i deeply regret coming back up north i wish i stayed down south but whats done is done and i have to deal with it i'm just about to post some things in gallery have a look
    SHINEY ITS SHINEY!

Thanks
    Unfortunately, some courses are like that, with the speed of progression being tailored to suit the students who are furthest behind.

If a large percentage of students on a course are failing questions are asked higher up in the colleges and funding/external assessment scores can be at risk therefore it's in the interests of the college to ensure that most students get a passing grade, even if that means moving the goalposts or cooking the books slightly.

None of this however need concern you in the slightest- get your projects done for the original deadlines and use these extensions for self study and practice.
    You have a portfolio to polish, remember?

Thanks
    Unfortunately, some courses are like that, with the speed of progression being tailored to suit the students who are furthest behind.

If a large percentage of students on a course are failing questions are asked higher up in the colleges and funding/external assessment scores can be at risk therefore it's in the interests of the college to ensure that most students get a passing grade, even if that means moving the goalposts or cooking the books slightly.

None of this however need concern you in the slightest- get your projects done for the original deadlines and use these extensions for self study and practice.
    yes i so thank you for the advice everything sed has been taken aboard
    SHINEY ITS SHINEY!

Thanks
    Crap that reminds me..
    Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form.

Thanks
    As a foreigner I'll just point out that it's extremely dificult/overburdening to decipher your text as it is, please try as hard as you can to impove on that, I'm not saying that to insult you or something, just wanted to let you know.

Thanks
    Don't brush off Seedling's advice so easily, your writing skills really need to be brushed up. You're going to need them.

0kelvin
    www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by v0rbiss
    As a foreigner I'll just point out that it's extremely dificult/overburdening to decipher your text as it is, please try as hard as you can to impove on that, I'm not saying that to insult you or something, just wanted to let you know.
    i'll keep that in mind for the future
    SHINEY ITS SHINEY!

Thanks
    I don't know if you're aware of it or not, but if you've been officially diagnosed as dyslexic, there all all kinds of handy allowances that you can apply for once you've hit university.

I know one guy who got funding for a typist/proofreader for his essays and another who scored a rather nifty laptop to spellcheck his work on. Look into it if you haven't done so already.

Edit: this was in Scotland, I'd assume England and Wales have equivalent schemes though.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 0kelvin
    Don't brush off Seedling's advice so easily, your writing skills really need to be brushed up. You're going to need them.

0kelvin
    i know they do i wasnt brushing it off i'm talking english classes along side my art to try and help me over come my problems with writing its very differcult for me and i do try my hardest to over come the problem i only found out last year that i was dyslixic i went through all my my schooling being told i was stupid and would never amout to anything i am trying to correct my writeing its hard for me i've spent 17 years of my life being told i was stupid and things alike then i found out i have a problem learning certain things it efforts my maths for than my english skills and i know i am going to need them i get it drummed into me every day at college and in my personal life too i am trying it might not always come across in my writing but i am trying i value seedlings oppion i might not have shown it at the time it was said but i've had time to sit and think about what seedling said and their right my writing skills suck and i feel like a competle idiot at the moment and thank you for making me feel more so
    SHINEY ITS SHINEY!

Thanks
    I don't know if you're aware of it or not, but if you've been officially diagnosed as dyslexic, there all all kinds of handy allowances that you can apply for once you've hit university.

I know one guy who got funding for a typist/proofreader for his essays and another who scored a rather nifty laptop to spellcheck his work on. Look into it if you haven't done so already.

Edit: this was in Scotland, I'd assume England and Wales have equivalent schemes though.
    thank you i'll look into it
    SHINEY ITS SHINEY!

Thanks
    i only found out last year that i was dyslixic i went through all my my schooling being told i was stupid and would never amout to anything
    The mate I mentioned who got the laptop wasn't even diagnosed as being dyslexic until he was thirty so he spent the best part of three decades being called stupid. He's not, he's a bright dude and he is kicking ass on his course now, straight "A"s all the way..

Thanks
    The mate I mentioned who got the laptop wasn't even diagnosed as being dyslexic until he was thirty so he spent the best part of three decades being called stupid. He's not, he's a bright dude and he is kicking ass on his course now, straight "A"s all the way..

thanks flake i'll keep it in mind when i go off to uni by the comments people are leaving sounds like i need all the help i can get thank you for ur advice and suggestions
    SHINEY ITS SHINEY!

Thanks
    i know they do i wasnt brushing it off i'm talking english classes along side my art to try and help me over come my problems with writing its very differcult for me and i do try my hardest to over come the problem i only found out last year that i was dyslixic i went through all my my schooling being told i was stupid and would never amout to anything i am trying to correct my writeing its hard for me i've spent 17 years of my life being told i was stupid and things alike then i found out i have a problem learning certain things it efforts my maths for than my english skills and i know i am going to need them i get it drummed into me every day at college and in my personal life too i am trying it might not always come across in my writing but i am trying i value seedlings oppion i might not have shown it at the time it was said but i've had time to sit and think about what seedling said and their right my writing skills suck and i feel like a competle idiot at the moment and thank you for making me feel more so
    You aren't an idiot - you are learning. Only thise who choose to stop learning are idiots.

The first thing you can do to help yourself gain confidence is allow yourself to not feel like an idiot. Really. :-) And the second thing you can do is press shift when you type "I", because that'll make your writing look ten times cleaner.

I have a dyslexic friend who found out in college that she was dyslexic, after years of struggling through textbooks. She is close to getting her doctorate now. Your dyslexia doesn't have to hold you back. You have to figure out how to work with it without hitting the wall of frustration.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast