Thanks

Advice on laptop purchasing

Hullo! I'm planning on getting a laptop soon for drawing. I currently use my desktop, but I'll be leaving the US next summer, and need something more portable.

Anyway, I'd like your opinions as to what kind of laptop I should get. Brand, power, mac vs pc [or macbook pro?], RAM, etc. Any advice/recommendations are appreciated. I've been saving up for it for quite some time (on a mere graphic designer's salary), so assume top-of-the-line is fine price-wise.

Thanks. : )

p.s. I'll also be getting a small tablet, but that I haven't got questions about.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    If you have the cash, get yourself a 17 inch Macbook pro, fully loaded ram and Glossy finish screen, ideal for digital work.
    That's what I have laptop-wise and for the mac naysayers, it runs windows as well, so you can kiss any other PC goodbye.
    Last edited by skullsquid; October 23rd, 2006 at 07:22 PM.
    DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    The Mac book would be great but if you can't afford it new look for it used but beware deals that sound too good. If you don't now Macs find some one that does and have check out the deal first.

If you go PC look for a Laptop that has its Ram for the system apart from the Video card ram.. you want dedicated memory of 128 to 256megs
    I wouldn't go 17" those laptop are more the desktop replacement and are very heavy for a laptop. 15.4 is good my step-daughter just got one of the HP DV5000 and it Rocks for doing art on .. I want to steal it from her.

There are many type ofn laptops but you want a good speed on the CPU a good amount of HD space . Easy to upgrade(yes some laptop can upgraded hardware)
    dedicated video ram if you can ..Oh i would get a G4 if you go mac AMD if you go PC.

Stay way from Dell's and Gateways the deal not real deals and I been seeing them going back a lot. same for Sony and Toshiba are all having some problems but Acer is starting to come up.

watch prices and save up as once you get the Laptop you wan to ad to it. also Note NO NEW LAPTOP IS COMING WITH RESTORE DISC!1.. you get near to no software out side the system and ton of software that is in Demo install and will run out after 3 to 6 month.
    You have to do a back up of your system after booting fist time or you will get nagged till you do so. And after you install your software you want do another backup but DO NOT get rid of the firs back up. Store it on a USB HD keep it aways from a everyday drive.

Also remember this an Investment if you get a new laptop get the protection plan 2 to 3 years and make sure it cover the LCD screen as well.

Ok that's the tech review for the day for laptops..for my next review..

Good Luck hope this is the info you will need.

CC

Thanks

woo

thanks for the replies. Due to mac's announcement that the new generation of macbook pros are replacing the [no longer current] line with a ton more power and the same price [!!!], i think that decision is /made./

The only thing is, 15" or 17"? As sexy as the 17" sounds, I think i'm leaning towards the 15" because of better portability.

... and I'm thinking a 6x8 tablet.

Any other advice? I still have a teensy bit more to save up before I can get it.

Thanks
    Im using a 15.4" widescreen acer PC laptop, handles all I need graphics wise and my a4 wacom fits snugly ontop in the bag ;p

Much as it pains me, the new macs seem a good buy now that windows and macos can be used at the same time.
    !!My New Animation Sketchbook!!

SSG #12: The Twelve Disciples
    25days-Penciler-OBX-Kresh-Flynn-Boogieman-Oki

Sponsor your own Animator, for only £1.25 a day. We can put an end to the suffering.
    Donations
    We accept most Credit cards, and food. Lots of food.

Thanks
    evildisco: Why the glossy screen? I read about some pros and cons of the screen types but I don't remember that glossy was the better one for painting and graphics stuff. Is there a reason besides the 'ohhh it's so shiny' factor?

Thanks
    Glossy makes the contrast slightly better, but im finding it also a pain in the ass, id say go with matte type screens.
    !!My New Animation Sketchbook!!

SSG #12: The Twelve Disciples
    25days-Penciler-OBX-Kresh-Flynn-Boogieman-Oki

Sponsor your own Animator, for only £1.25 a day. We can put an end to the suffering.
    Donations
    We accept most Credit cards, and food. Lots of food.

Thanks
    I got myslef the Sony Vaio Sz 360, great machine with amazing portability, this sucker only weighs 1.83 kilos, and has a 13.3 inch screen. Its a core 2 duo 2gzh, 2gb ram, gforce 7400 128 mg vid card (thats the only pisser, its quite an old card, still i can play Fear at reasonable res.) dual layer dvd burner. Im very happy with it. mostly because its sooo light and small. I have an external 20 inch LG widescreen flat, and a wacom 9 x 11 wide screen. I got pissed off waiting for macbooks to get the Merom, and they arent as small and light as the Sony.good luck!
    TIm
    [url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

Thanks
    I guess for just drawing 2d yes the macbook pro 15" is really good, it has intel core 2 duo now which is really amazing, with a really good graphic card. But if you're like me and hate the entire "hey, look at me, I'm an apple and I'm beautiful", I would advise a DELL e1505 (only like 700$), or if you have more money and want even more power SONY vaio has really good quality computers. If you want something small (really small) I can tell you some other ultraportables like the dell d420

Thanks
    the macbooks are cool yeah. good thing: mac os, bad thing: damn overpriced.
    when you wanna draw on a laptop most important thing is the display. when something is cheap always find out why it is. and with laptops its usually the display. the new glossy 17" macbook display is great. make sure you get one with the new core 2 too.
    if you have the money get that one!
    for windows i can recommend the hp/compaq nx9420. it's avaiable with the core 2 and an wonderful 17" display. mine never let me down.
    whatever you buy check the display in a local store first.