Thanks

Who made concept art for Mad Max 3?

Does anyone know that? For me, that's one of the best examples how clever research and a good director implement the artwork in the actuall movie.
    Thanks for any reply,

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Would you mind showing the concept art? Links, pictures? I never saw it actually.

Thanks
    That's exactely what i'm looking for now:)

Thanks
    Full Credits - I skipped over it but didn't see concept artists. What you see though are set builders and decorators, costume design, scenic painters and so on. Those usually work under a production designer who is responisble for the look of the movie, the locations chosen, etc. Kind of like an Art Director for props afaik. So in this case you can probably thank Graham Walker who is hopefully not the guy from Neuromancer
    I think a couple of the costume designers and scenic painters did jobs similar to that of a concept artist. It's just names after all, it's not guaranteed that if you take 10 concept artists they all do the same job. The advertising field for instance is notorious for creative job titles btw.
    Last edited by John; October 23rd, 2006 at 12:26 PM.

Thanks
    Master: Who run Bartertown? Who... run... Bartertown?
    Auntie Entity: ...you know who.
    Master: SAY!
    Auntie Entity: Master Blaster.
    Master: SAY LOUD!
    Master: Master Blaster... what?
    Auntie Entity: Master Blaster runs Bartertown.
    Master: LOUDER!
    Auntie Entity: Master Blaster runs Bartertown!
    Master: Lift embargo.

I got Master's voice down man...

This movie, no shit, is what really got me drawing as a kid. My favorotie character concepts of any movie, ever, hands down. I'd love to find some concept art from this movie...

Thanks
    From what I've read and heard in interviews alot of older films didn't use "concept artists" the way they are used today. The job of designing the props and what not fell to the Production Designer, or Art Director, but often they would just produce a rough sketch or just a description, and the rest of the designing would fall to the people fabricating the props.
    Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

The Sketchbook Lives AGAIN!

Darkergreen, My environment, and concept art portfolio

"Its all Fish-Men in the end anyway" -Sara, my wife

"Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure."
    Bertrand Russell

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    alot of older films didn't use "concept artists"
    scifi films would often hire hand picked artists though, or at least those movies that still look awesome 20-30 years later did, who would work under the Production Designer. I have no idea if Beyond Thunderdome was one of those movies though. For my money, I still say Blade Runner wins the all time concept art award
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    I doubt he actually did design work for the movie, but I always thought that a lot of the characters were very Jack Kirbyish. Master Blaster, Auntie Entity, and so on. It wouldn't surprise me if he at least provided some inspiration to the creators of some of the character designs.
    Grave Sight Graphics: The Art of Eric Lofgren.
    elofgren@ telus.net (to use e-mail address please remove space between the '@' and 'telus')

My Art Blog
    My Online Portfolio (Updated Jan. 30/ 2011)
    ~NiNjA~^~mOuNtAiN~^~PoDcAsT~(Working illustrators talking illustration)
    Eric Lofgren's licensible rpg art resource
    Art Director for New Gods of Raanon

Thanks
    scifi films would often hire hand picked artists though, or at least those movies that still look awesome 20-30 years later did, who would work under the Production Designer. I have no idea if Beyond Thunderdome was one of those movies though. For my money, I still say Blade Runner wins the all time concept art award
    See Gigers Alien
    In his book HR+ (i think that was the title) there's some concept art Giger did for David Lynchs Dune, which was scrapped in favor of a different visual style.

Thanks
    Thanks guys, i see you also dig it. As strych9ine already said, that is a non-plus-ultra for my understanding of film design.

And i'm sorry, but MM3 beats ass out of every other sci-fi movie because it has never been seen before. And it still looks futuristic for me. Even much more then many of the current movies.

Still, the question is: does anyone know who did it and if so, where can it be seen? I'm BURNING to see it.. Help me, please...........

Thanks comrades,

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupacabra
    MM3 beats ass out of every other sci-fi movie
    Wow, if THAT doesn't open up a can of worms...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    MM3 beats ass out of every other sci-fi movie
    haven't seen it so i can't comment on it,but in my book that goes for the alien series. (except avp of course)
    Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    See Gigers Alien
    In his book HR+ (i think that was the title) there's some concept art Giger did for David Lynchs Dune, which was scrapped in favor of a different visual style.
    Alien is up there with Bladerunner for me, both being so visually amazing and realistic in their design that I never never get tired of looking at them. One of the cool things about Alien is that they had several artists who ended up being used on separate specific areas of the design work. You can see a ton of the pre production sketches on the DVD and it's interesting to see how, as a team, the artists make such a believable environment. Giger did outdo all the others on his alien design certainly, but his costumes and sets were too impractical and strange. Luckily, they had several other guys with very different tastes doing their own independent concepts, some with strengths in technical design, some in costuming, etc.
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupacabra
    And i'm sorry, but MM3 beats ass out of every other sci-fi movie because it has never been seen before. And it still looks futuristic for me. Even much more then many of the current movies.
    Let's think that maybe you are very, very young, and have never heard of a movie called Blade Runner

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DavePalumbo
    One of the cool things about Alien is that they had several artists who ended up being used on separate specific areas of the design work. [...] Giger did outdo all the others on his alien design certainly, but his costumes and sets were too impractical and strange. Luckily, they had several other guys with very different tastes doing their own independent concepts, some with strengths in technical design, some in costuming, etc.
    Ditto. It's a pleasure to watch the DVD-specials about Giger - Ron Cobb. Giger did the alien designs, Cobb made these highly technical humanoid spacecrafts and it's often mentioned that the magic in his work was that everything he drew and painted was so functional that there was no doubt it would actually work. I think they were equally brilliant on either side. Giger's work was promoted more as a matter of fact.

BTW, if there's an award for best DVD extras, the Alien Quadrilogy beats them all. I wish all movie DVDs had such sweet content.

Thanks
    Yiako: I'm 30 and probably older then you. I've seen Blade Runner but am really sick of everyone getting so horny about that film. IMO, "Alien" was ten times deeper and prettier and deserves more credit then BR. Just as MM3.

Off the topic, but Giger used to be my greatest inspiration because we went to same school (not at the same time of course) and he lived like five minutes from my place. For me, he deserves more credit then Syd Mead, since i got to know a bit more of him.
    It's just that Blade Runner-Myth which disturbs me personally, so no offense to you or anyone

But where is that ;#@§§#° Mad Max 3 concept art?

Peace every1,

Thanks
    I think one of the key selling points for Alien in design (and as a movie in general), is the contrast between the cramped, functional and sterile setting of Cobb's Nostromo to that of Giger's cavernous, ambiguous and completely alien (not to mention overtly sexual) Derelict ship.
    elofgren@ telus.net (to use e-mail address please remove space between the '@' and 'telus')

My Art Blog

Thanks
    Eric: Ever noticed that the head of Alien is actually a penis? No joke, it's really true. If you look it from above or behind, you'll see it.
    Yes, Giger is one pervert bastard. But i love him.

Cheers,

Thanks
    I think if you look hard enough there's sexual organs in much of Giger's work

My Art Blog

Thanks
    This movie is freakishly awesome, this movie is one I hold close to my heart as well. I too looked for the concept work done fr it and finally just realized I had to enjoy it in the movie. I believe the poster was a beauty down by none other than Mr. Drew Struzan, if you checked out IFX this past month you got as taste of what he does. And what a better way to end a movie than with "We Don't Need Another Hero" by Tina -

Pig Killer: Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

- V

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Master: Who run Bartertown? Who... run... Bartertown?
    Auntie Entity: ...you know who.
    Master: SAY!
    Master: SAY LOUD!
    Master: Master Blaster... what?
    Auntie Entity: Master Blaster runs Bartertown.
    Master: LOUDER!
    Auntie Entity: Master Blaster runs Bartertown!
    Master: Lift embargo.

I got Master's voice down man...

This movie, no shit, is what really got me drawing as a kid. My favorotie character concepts of any movie, ever, hands down. I'd love to find some concept art from this movie...
    you and i had a very similar upbringing, then. ive always maintained that these movies are some of the main contributers to my wanting to become a professional artist.

the post-apocalyptic world in mad max is nothing short of authentic. reallll gritty. it had to be given that they actually made all of the vehicles from scraps of previously built cars. max's interceptor is genius. the twin tanks on the back are my fave part of the car, aside from the massive blower sticking out of the hood. i think the vehicles of MM3 had the most character of all, and also aided in my interest in games such as gorkamorka and warhammer 40K (speed freaks) - though i havent touched the stuff for years i still get massively inspired with that sort of concept.

Thanks
    Ever noticed that the head of Alien is actually a penis?
    Dude, the man's whole empire is founded on penis's and vaginas, penis's and vaginas everywhere!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)