VOTING!! Teen Challenge #18
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Best act of thievery?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • sishir

3 11.11%
  • Bendragon

13 48.15%
  • Evil_Sloth

8 29.63%
  • v0rbiss

3 11.11%
  • Njord-E55

0 0%

Thread: VOTING!! Teen Challenge #18

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

VOTING!! Teen Challenge #18

The topic was "The Heist". Vote for your favorite!

sishir:

Bendragon:

Evil_Sloth:

v0rbiss:

Njord-E55:

I think this was kind of a hard topic to get into, but there's some nice work here from everyone who participated. Post comments & topic suggestions if you like, round 19 is coming right up.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sishir: This one feels a bit empty. Its a lot of unused pace in the top of the picture. The theifes look really cool though.
    Bendragon: A nice sense of motion here and a nice perspective. The money coming out doesent look like money though. It looks more like small green squares.
    Evil_Sloth: That is some really nice color work there. Gives a nice and worn out mood. The huy in the foreground though looks to big compared to the train carrige.
    v0rbiss: Some realy good anatomy here. A bit hard to see that he is stealing her necklace and also a bit more contrast would have been nice. you got my vote.

| My Sketchbook |
    |Simplified - My Web Portfolio |

The foot-picture was concived at 3 A.M. during a creative spree...

SSG#15
    InvincibleWombat-Mort-Dead Road 7-Apocalypse_Rex -Njord-E55-Iolarnula

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, this time it's going to be much easyer to comment on all the pieces, because of the small number of participants! Btw, I think the reason for that is the topic. Far too specific, without too much room for author's own ideas.

sishir: It's very good you've decided to push your abilityes to the max by choosing such a hard composition, with complex lighting problems to be solved and human figures on top of that! You've done a good job, with some little issues tho: The too much dark space in the upper part of the image, as Njord mentioned already, and mainly the anatomy of the figures. Especially the tied up figures.

Bendragon: cool perspective, but wrong. And a serious case of broken neck. The foreground, under the hoverbike or w/er that is, is too saturated and is taking away the attention from the figure. If I didn't knew the topic, I'd seriously think "wtf is going on in that picture?" nothing really implies a big bank job or something. And don't leave the perspective lines, they don't help a bit imho.

SLoth: The perspective on the buildings in the bg is messed up somehow, but i can't point out why exactly. Neo's arm, holding the gun looks weird. And this picture isn't exactly speaking "HEIST" to me.

Njord: Thank you for the crit's, I was thinking about the contrast too, but then decided to "oh, fuck it..." On to your peace: The guy seems a bit disproportioned, especially the hands and teh head. The perspective on the building-like things behind the guy isn't convincing, and as the lightsource comes from the back of the figure, a big patch of darkness should have appeared under the rocket/guys arms, further leading the eyes to the focal point.(the guy with tghe rocket! ) ANd this piece too isn't eaxactly screaming "Heist", more like "a guy gets shot".
    Nontheless, you've handled this crappy technique pretty good! :

My vote goes to sishir, for undertaking such a hard task this time!

That's all, folks! From now on, I'll try to be as honest and brutal in my crits, as possible! And of course, I don't expect anything less from your crits on my works!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vorbiss got my vote. Alot could have been better about the drawing, but it has a really cool look to it. And I love scissors.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for ben . I just belive its the coolest piece, although, some very-valid crits have been mentioned on the piece, but yeah, got my vote!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im going to go for Mr EvilSloth here. Its probably the most epic piece here. Rendering is also good there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    10x Andorz! Can you pls specify exactly how it could be "alot better"? It's not fair to say just that and leave man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lol sorry, didnt feel likw writing

*Anatomy. Pretty much all over (Except the mans face - It looks great!)
    *Background. Very messy
    *Shading. Same as background. Try out different pencils (HB, B1, B2 etc.)
    *The womans hair. Could look more natural. Looks very.. plastic now
    *More contrast

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did something, but I didn't finnish it, and I was digusted by the weird porportions I somehow managed from the odd angle I chose. Oh well. Ces't la vie. Nice small group for crits though.

sishir: I'm afraid I'm only seeing half of thise picture because my monitor has troubles with dark scenes and colours. From what I can see though, I really like the security guard peering inquisitivel around the corner. The lighting makes for good atmosphere. However I find the large black areas distracting, but that could be because of my monitor.

Bendragon: I love the angle and the movement. My only big problem with it is the flying cash/smoke (I'm not sure which If smoke, should billow more, if cash, should be bigger rectangles). It appears to be moving away from the bike at a 90-110 degree angle, I think it should should be flying at more of a 180 degreed, lined up with the bike, with the bills maybe scattering more towards the end of the trail. My favourite part of this piece is probably the sky.

Evil Sloth: Great job as usual. I think yo may of overdone the blur on some of the bills slightly though. The contrast between the front guy and the guy ontop of the train throws me off at first glance. The blurry guys looks incomplete in comparison to the sharp image of the guy clinging o the side of the train, but after a second or two my eyes kinda accepted the diffence. The textures are great. I always love the textures you use .

Vorbis: You've got great facial expression, but my eyes keep wondering to the mass of lines you used to shade the background. Just try slowing down. The stacato lines work well with the central characters in making a rustic, creepy look, but some of it gets a little lost in the background. As andors said, try using diffrent pencils.

Njord: Was that ink or watercolour you used? It's pretty good, but your neck came out a little thick. You did an awsome job on the bullet comming through his chest, a little indication of where it entered would help make it more noticeable though, such as just a light streak behind his back. Also, when working with heavly water based mediums, it's important to have good paper. Something thick so it dosen't warp. If you can't get super thick paper, try for some medium thick paper, and stretch it on a board by soaking it in water for a second or two, then tapeing it down. It helps the paper keep it's shape. When I did this I used a kind of tape that works like those lickable stickers, so that it sticks to the wet surface.

As for my vote... err.. I haven't decided yet. I'l get back to you all on that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mine ended up in a similar situation as Keng. Didn't finish, and just ended up not being too happy with where it was going.

As for crits, just one that hasn't already been said.
    Bendragon- I think the cash flying out the back would look better if they weren't all the same size, ie. bigger towards us, smaller away from us.

It was a close call between Bendragon and Evil_Sloth, but Evil_Sloth got it in the end. I just think it had the most motion.
    Great job everyone!

Last edited by Cup of Joe; October 29th, 2006 at 08:16 AM.
    Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

ProtoSSG: Cup-of-Joe ~ Kitsu ~ White Rose ~ Afgal

Other SBs - ShiroNami - Leadster618

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah it's crunch time at school atm, sucks balls after exams i'll pull my finger out.
    I really liked everyones stuff this round, growth and prosper teens!
    Btw awesome crits guys inspiring stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i have been too busy! but thank you a ton on those crits, didnt realize them until yove told me

i am suprised so many teens can draw so well! happy to be with you people on this board!

i dont know what to crit on much, all that i was about to say was said already by others.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To Keng: I've had some problems lately. I moved from the States to Spain and i just had the artstuff i took with me on the plane. I have been 4 months without proper supplies since my stuff have been hold up in the custom's office. Also i moved to a really rich turist part of Spain where i can't get any good supplies. So i have been doing watercolors and inkwash on 100g per m2 paper. Is a horrible thing to do, but i have nothing better.

If anyone here is Spanish and can recomend a good webshop i would be glad.

| My Sketchbook |
    |Simplified - My Web Portfolio |

The foot-picture was concived at 3 A.M. during a creative spree...

SSG#15
    InvincibleWombat-Mort-Dead Road 7-Apocalypse_Rex -Njord-E55-Iolarnula

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.