Sketchbook: Cavematty Uncensored - Page 4
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Cavematty Uncensored

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hiya, been lookin through your thread, i reckon you've improved alot since u first posted! your recent lifedrawings are great!
    i was sitting next to thaw in lifedrawing

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys!
    Thanks for the kind words.
    Jeff - Don't think we've properly met I'll catch you at vincents sometime soon.
    Thaw - Stuff looked great at exhibition! Loved the wide composition with all the characters! Didnt get a chance to browse your book though - so many people about! I'll be back in there tomorrow probably. Need to have a proper look around

Here's a little study I did tonight. Hopefully this one posts ok...

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, great stuff u got here...keep working hard!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey matt do u remember that ureka moment you had about tone a while back...yeah..i just got hit with it...followed by...hey! massey didnt teach us the basics!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha. No Thaw, they did not. You should have a crack at writing up the eureka moment you had. Explaining it to others really cements it. I wrote a little tut about my moment which i will whack on my website as soon as I get around to adding some pics that illustrate it. Id be real keen to hear ur perception shift too, us under-previledged, massey schooled illustrators gotta help each other out Stoked for you though, its a great feeling aye Not quite Edison or Archimedes, but feels pretty great nonetheless!

Here's a bit of an update. An illustration for a challenge entitled simpy "behemoth". I will upload process pics and a description if anyone is interested. I also had a couple of eureka moments on this one just in terms of mindset, which really helped a lot. I'm planning to start a thread just about that but will discuss that along with the process if anyone is interested

Matty

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey cavematty some really great stuff in here really like the study a couple of posts back. was just wanting some info if poss ive just finished my first year at massey and was wondering what 2nd year papers u recommend?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your studies are definately improving and the shading is getting stronger. I started to paint from life things involving movies and the like but need to do more, thanks for un-intentionally reminding me

The last picture is GREAT. I like the differently captured personalities and reactions...and the water bottle haha. Did you paint the condensation?

Leo Ki is offline Trying to tame that growling stylus Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! The Behemoth's amused face is awesome! And all the details - squeezed nose, breath vapor, contour lighting... It comes stunningly alive into the gloomy reality of the office.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh dude, is that perspiration on the glass?! Mad, wicked take on the composition and an overall great drawing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha, oh my lord! this last post is freaking funky! really nicely executed, with the moist and drips on the glass. I have been wanting to do something similar for some time, though my ideas have been in a restaurant and in the 30's or 40's. alot of round glasses, hats and mustaches... though i see now that this works great aswell! good development from the first page. there is something that is hard to put my finger on that bugs me about your digital renderings... i think it is something in the realms of a bit to low contrast and a bit to few variations in colortones. skintones etc. i might be a bit of, but i think its something there.
    anywho, keep up the great improving-curve, very good stuff! cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey matt, sweet work!
    i think i will write it up my ureka aye, ive got it all written down in my notebook-ill just translate it into an essay format and post it on my webby.
    if u dont mind ive added ur site to my links.
    thanks for ur comments on my thread. u wont see too many works from me too soon, im still studying away on the basics of illustration, sculpting and scriptwriting. taking this down time to practice the basics theories and craft. all the explorations ill post under progressive on my webby.
    peace out man. seriously nice work dude, keeps me motivated!

Last edited by Thaw Naing; December 8th, 2007 at 08:00 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Geezus! Long time away huh?
    Here's some studies from today. Inspired by Tom's new productivity, and Guido's commitment to the art - best of luck bud, but I know u'll pwn it

A mucha inspired drawing from a Farmers brochure, and a photo study to practise discipline in my process. Also to zero in on tone. Succesful in those two areas? to some extent yes!

Also a sphere study ala Idiot Apathy and the Peer Project. Playing with my edges Elwell style (thanks for the link Tom).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool stuff man. I liked that behemoth pic, particularly the one guy on the right who is just looking at at the other dude screaming
    keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great behemoth picture!

The girl steals the show though.

That's a good idea to incorporate Elwell's edges with a sphere study. I'll have to try that.

Sketchbook Support Group
    Earendil Jussi Tarvainen Reidaj

~Hope~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man
    Stoked to hear you found that tut as interesting as I did- I'd never really given any thought to edges as a design element in constructing images before. I wish I'd stumbled across that thread a long time ago!
    Nice sketches by the way, esp. like the linework in the first one.
    See you at life drawing yo!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man. I was at Vincents tonight standing next to Thaw as you guys left, shouldve said hi. But anyway, till next time!
    Great drawings by the way, looking good!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya Shod!
    Thanks matey Make sure you say hi next time - I don't bite. And I'm pretty rusty at life drawing so ...

Here's a speedy from today. Just trying to get my head back into painting. I'm looking like having some time off pretty soon - as early as next week, so wana get a running start on the upskill!

About 1.5 hours, from ref. Trying to get some ok colour without colour picking

Peace

EDIT: another 30 mins with Law's suggestions. Thanks Law, you're the man! Go here to check out his cool shit! : LAW

Last edited by Cavematty; February 29th, 2008 at 09:37 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool man, nice colours, the snow in the shadow of the front mountain is perfect.

The brush work is a bit wild, kinda looks like a photo taken with a slower shutter speed and some camera shake. also the rendering techniques on the clouds are a little to far away from the strokes on the rest of the image. I know they're fluffy lil' buggers, but I think you've pushed it a tad too much there.

rock on, looking good mate!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Tim.
    Thanks for the comments. Spot on. Both things I knew, but was too lazy to fix (or too in love with the sketch to risk re-doing anything). Sarah, Jo, Law - they all said the same stuff.
    Might fix it at some point, but it was just a warmup sketch.

Here's the start of some designing. Mostly outta my head. Gonna do a render of each character I want to design to try and get my head around it, then will go into the iterative process with silhouettes etc.
    But at the mo need to fill my head with some more specific images first
    Updates aplenty coming

Matty

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really awesome sketchbook! I especially like that last mountain environment - 1.5 hours!? Amazing! Very inspiring. ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Starzik - Thanks mate. 2 hours with the feedback and a bit of a rework. Things just went right for once. Not always so fast. Far from it.

Here's some life drawing from tonight. Got a few weeks to dump so expect some more Plz point out any areas of weakness that you notice. Law told me the other day I should learn legs. What he shoulda said was "you suck at legs!". He woulda been right.
    Working on it now Buddy
    These pages are A2 and just digi cammed them so sorry for shit quality.

Last edited by Cavematty; March 11th, 2008 at 06:20 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lifedrawings from March

Here's more from the past few weeks. Getting back into the swing of things. Starting to do a bit of reading / study on the side too so should start showing in my work (fingers crossed!).

Tomorrow.... an update on my design progress

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some really dope shit here!
    Man I have to come back again!

Chris

Work hard, anything is possible. I know, I know, itís a very cheesy response but itís true. Hard work and dedication is the key to reach your dreams. -BjÝrn Hurri

Website
    CA Sketchbook
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Mortal Engines Concept Design

Hivemind _ chur chur. +Please do come back. And be ruthless! I crave critique like a zombie craves brains.

Hey guys.
    Ok here's the beginning of the project I am working on at the moment.
    It is a personal project in which I am doing concept design for this book:

I intend to generate some portfolio pieces out of this, but have done very little design before (notice most of my thread is simply illustration or studies?).
    Any input or advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Crit away.

Quick background
    . The book is set in the distant future. Man has nuked himself and the planet, but we survived through it. Life has regressed in terms of technology, and the war has savaged the planet some. To cope with the limited resources, cities have been put on wheels in what Reeves magnificently calls "municipal darwinism" (love it!). They cruise around the wastelands of earth devouring mountains and each other in the hunt for resources. It is kinda post apocalyptic/steampunk, yet the societies are quite complex and structured. None of this madmax anarchy. The book is set on London as it cruises about the "hunting ground".

The first character I am designing is Thaddeus Valentine. He is not the lead, but one of the more interesting characters. Initially the lead's hero, and adventuring gentleman of London, he goes through several perception shifts in the book and his upright nature comes into question. Good guy or badguy? You decide.

I have started out with silhoette studies in small format and will work back into them from here to explore some variations

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sawwweet matty. i project!!
    be keen to see how it all pans out.

Leo Ki is offline Trying to tame that growling stylus Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's hard to crit the silhouette studies without knowing the book description of the character, but a first impression takes me to century 19 or earlier. Is the steampunk flavor of the book pervasive? Anyway it looks like an exciting project, with the background story giving constraints and inspiration at the same time.

I love the simple-looking sketch in post #102 (the first one), and I'm impressed by your use of shadows in the sketches on post #112, they really pop the characters out of the paper.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Line Drawing Re-works

Replies:
    Leo - thanks man. I might take the time to put up some quotes about Thaddeus at some point. As for the steampunk influence - no its not too strong. It is set in London in the future, and technology has regressed somewhat. However it doesn't mean the costume has to regress with it. Your comment was what made that apparent to me so thanks matey!
    Thaw - keep watching and crit me hard man

Here's some line drawings over some of my favourite silhouettes. Seems easier to break the mold now. Getting a little bit looser. Seems like I get a bit more creative everyday. It's a really interesting process to go through for me. Suggestions anyone?

Last edited by Cavematty; March 12th, 2008 at 09:50 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im gona feed you some brains u zombie hahaha! love that quote

well, more food for thought rather than critique

first a few questions
    1) are you designing this for a particular medium? im guessing film, are you taking this as a family orientated film or a gritty postmodern dystopia ala children of men.
    2) what have you planned? just character work? machinery? keyart? environment designs. the mistake i took with the bonny project was i looked at everything across the board. where i should have focused on a key scene and designed everything within that scene, which was how paul did his major.
    3) how closely are you following the story? and is there much description in the text about the technology and costume

just a few suggestions
    1) knowledge is power - some research into fashion and the manufacture of clothing - especially english victoria would come in handy. i see that some of your thumbnails are starting to have that victorian/early industrial influence.
    Not suggesting hardout research but some as you go along. im just imagining that the manufacturing of new modern clothes have been lost since the apocalpytic event, and that society has recessed to the olden method and technology of making clothes - even though they have a modern mindset.
    i dont remember where, but i remember on a futuristic film, where the director based the costume designs on the lastest fashion trends, because these fashion designers were looking back at olden style clothing and applying it to modern ideals. Interesting stuff.

Im writing a story at the moment where the world has reached a new iceage due to climate changes (global warming blah blah) and the world has been forced to refer to old technology simply because the industries are destroyed. We may overlap on a lot of research, keep in touch with me, could save us both some time! haha.

2) I would suggest designing the characters simultaneously. Simply because the designs should influence one another. Eg. a simple but very effect device: such as putting all the protagonists in one colour scheme and antagonists in another. Sounds like a james bond film where the bad guys are in one color, but it does work well when done subtlely.

I learnt this tool from learning about scriptwriting where if the writer has done his job right, characters are placed at opposite ends of a moral scale, or wateva scale. For eg. Character 1 is justice, character 2 may be unfair, character 3 maybe injustice, then u may get the 4th character who is tyranic, who is at the extreme opposite of the scale. This is all necessary for a good story to provide different viewpoints about a theme. It is the concept artist’s job to analyse these traits and find a way to represent it visually.
    So that’s why I suggest designing them all at the same time, so that you can start to see the visual differentiation between characters costumes/postures/facial expressions – which all tell about the character, and also the entire plot of the story.

if u wana know more, ive got this book which is absolutely amazing and have taught me everything about storytelling, ever since reading it, I don’t just explore characters visually anymore, i explore in writing a lot – then I just think how can I show this visually. This sort of approach ties in with the way iain mccaig uses storybeats – if u want, ive got his dvds as well.

Good luck man, after this current commish, I was thinking of setting aside a day to meet up with my m8s, who’ve got their own projects going. Bigg critique brain storming session. Ill tell u if that goes down.

Last edited by Thaw Naing; March 13th, 2008 at 02:11 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Brilliant stuff!
    #95 was pretty amazing (nice Sub Surface Scattering by the way). Great studies man. Perhaps you could improve palettes a little bit? cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lennon - Chur man. Yeah laboured over that one! haha. More than you would think too And yeah coulour is an area that really needs improving. Several people have said it to me of late. Have done some reading, and will try and improve on my next full illustration that I do Thanks for the visit and the comment. It reminds me to study!

Thaw - BRAINS! wohooo! What a feast too. Thanks so much for taking the time to write all that. Really really appreciate it Some great points in there too...
    In answer to your questions:
    1) Yeah I was thinking film. Its a teen fiction book so I figure yeah, family audiences. But it is still kinda dark for that audience.

2) Picking a scene is a great idea. Forgot that Paul did that. I made a list of things to design to cover all the areas. 4 of the most interesting characters. 2 vehicles. And 2-3 locations.
    But if I pick a scene it'll cut the locations down at least. I'm re-reading it through again now so might pick a scene over the weekend. Great idea for focus man

3) In terms of following the story - it is quite a cool world so I would like to realise it as much as possible. It is maybe a bit more cutesy than I plan to do it, but the descriptions are generally quite loose so the text isn't really restrictive.

In terms of your suggestions. Yep, some research into manufacture might be helpful. The film you are talking about, was it Mary Antoinette? I thought it was a pretty average film, but the idea with the costumes was to give us the impression the fashion would have had on people in their time. So they were more brightly coloured and richly patterned than was histroically accurate, to adjust them for time. Really cool idea there I reckon

This book you speak of sounds great. Would love to borrow it. Have been to a couple of good talks/seminars about screenwriting. It is something that interests me too. And so many helpful rules and formulas that let you understand the anatomy of a story. But yeah I would love to borrow it. I already have McCaigs Dvd's tho. I watched them all some time ago - was re-watching the first one yesterday! Hehe.

And as for the big creative session, count me in. I'll have a yarn to you about it on tues at vincents anyways.
    When is your commission due?

Thanks again bruva! woop.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.