Sketchbook: Cavematty Uncensored - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Cavematty Uncensored

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Joeslucher - Thanks man! Yeah I do hope to finish it. I had a deadline not long before the TD deadline so I only spent about 2 full days on the pic. I do plan to finish it to a higher standard. Im gonna wait for a little while though, and come back to it with fresh eyes.

Smokey - thanks.

Gringoloco - cheers man, hope the judges agree with you yeah I wanna be more productive and post more... I'm working on it. As for analogue - its more a matter of bothering to scan them

Animosapien - thanks bud. the story is in the last post with the pic. Very breifly.

As for me - good news. Currently working on my first commissioned illustration job. An 8 page story for a school journal to be published in the USA and Canada Woop!
    2 weeks left and millions of work to go, so look forward to that post. Till then the updates might be a bit sporadic.

Thanks for looking everyone

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    excellent style! post 4 and post 23 are great.btw shouldn't there be no shadow under the arms of the sun god?
    great job anyway

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool stuff man and a interesting use of different brushes.

I really like the sun god peice. Nice compostion! How ever the way that some of the trees connect to the ground looks a bit strange. I dont know wether it is the angle or the size of the tree that is doing it. Maybe try and some slight texture at the point where the trees connect to the ground and add a little shape to the texture.

Just a suggestion

Awesome pencil rendering skills man!

Keep it up!

C&C welcome
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=84532&page=10

'Iam what Iam' - Popeye The Sailor Man

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys.

AK86 - thanks for your comments
    cgoz - yeh the shadow was a dumb idea. I knew it was wrong when i put it in but still wanted to do it!

Here's the updated version for round two. Changed a lot. Not so cartoony now. Hope its an improvement though
    Thanks to Trevor for the personal crit that motivated me to go back to this piece. Hope ur doing good Trev.

Not much else to add. Thanks for looking guys

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent work . Cool pic. Is that a grid I see in overlay? I dont know digital im wondering if its a usual tool.

My Concept art SKETCHBOOK

My TSOFA sketchbook

Painting is just like an after-dinner speech. If you want to be remembered, say one thing and stop. -Hawthorne

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey solon, cheers. It is kinda a grid I guess. Its just a pattern stamp tool that is included in the brushes mv has for download in his exclusive sketchbook. It was there faintly in the previous version and everyone said to turn it up. Its meant to be the suns rays and make the whole thing more dynamic. Hope its working

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok we got an extra day so here's where I ended up:

Dont worry I will post something other than this real soon PROMISE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice start to your book, lots of improvement already - great job on that last one, i like it a lot

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok in fairness, most of this thread so far is my TD entry! So I thought I'd throw something else up now....

So this is a character design sheet I did for an illustration job. This was never to be printed, almost like a proof of concept stage so they have faith in you to do the job. An annoying part of the process sometimes, but this time I found it incredibly helpful All the kids are meant to be around mid teen, and the setting is an aircraft crash in the mountains (basically like the movie "alive" but they get rescued before the cannibalism ). That is why one kid has a wound on his head

Obvioulsy I spent more time on some kids than others, this is relative to their importance in the story. Even over 8 pages of illustrations, some of the kids only manage midground and background cameos like an extra.

Last edited by Cavematty; March 19th, 2007 at 09:50 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it was cool to come in late and watch the sun god piece take shape, i like where it's going...i think you could make the sun god's crater more dynamic and broken up looking, it looks a little too gradual a slope , it could be big jutting pieces of earth and debris around him maybe....nice lighting and detail though

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

From life

Here's some sketches of a friends dog being lazy. From a while ago, just cleaning up the studio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, no stars yet? you should have some! *thickletick*
    i like the move of the giantwork, its powerfull and smart colored....just nice! but the black of the mouth and the eyes did not fit whit his burning ligth strukture, i think a dark red works better, maybe u could add some smoke,if he burns out of the earth?
    thumbs up!
    *wave*
    da Beast

SB:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...96#post1244096

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Are you from New Zealand? The Maori sun god business.

Really love this piece. Such great mood.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good work, i like the moods on top of this thread!
    5 stars!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some cool stuff in here. Challenging comp on that yellow giant illustration.
    Be carefull no to lose color though. A lot of it is grayed down. Maybe some light
    from below could still shine through in parts of the clouds.
    Also, to make your values pop out more, up the contrast and make the image less bright
    just a bit. That way you lose some detail on the giant but you make him seem
    radiating light more. I think that would enhance the dramatic feel.

Last edited by Art_Addict; March 27th, 2007 at 06:49 AM.
    www.tomvandewouwer.com

"There is no such thing as 'accurate drawing'. There is beautiful
    drawing, and ugly, and nothing else." JAD Ingres, Ecrits sur l'art
    (1780-1865)"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great stuff, I am wanting to improve greatly this year too on my figure drawing, maybe we can feed off of each other

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome stuff! As for the wip, I would blur the figure in the foreground a little bit. For such a dynamic pose it kinda looks static, or maybe its just me. Maybe blur the edges of the feet or some areas to suggest movement. See what happens. Best of luck to you. Peace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face

piratesvscowboys - Thanks for the advice. I know you are right. Thats about the only thing that hasnt changed much since the original composition. Which is a sign I havn't put enough thought into it

TheBeast - Thanks man. Yeah I'll try the red in the mouth and eyes - real good idea actually thanks

HunterKiller - Thanks man. Yessir. I'm a wellingtonian, tho originally from Chch, but I got out

Arne S - Thanks man! I got stars. Woop. It was a good day for my skketchbook

Art_Addict
    - Thanks man. I'll try out your suggestions. Had a few playarounds with the levels when I was working on it the day TD closed, but its hard to be objective when you've been working on it for hours straight.

Anurizm - Thanks man. Ill drop by your stuff and see if I can help any. Otherwise just keep working and have fun with it

Spyplane - Thanks man, I'll try out your suggestions too, so check back

Well cheers for all the comments. CA rules

Here's a sketch I did last night in the style of Vyle. Everyone seems to like my looser stuff (like the mood pieces up the top) so I'm trying to explore that direction a little more. The sun god piece is a bit too tight, verging on static despite the composition. And im painfully aware of that fact. Gotta get my brushwork and texture in on the action
    This one isnt great but thought I'd share it with y'all anyways

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thes are sweet. I like the studies of the different people and the dog sketches. Keep at it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Daraf - Thanks man. I will keep at it dont you worry

Here's a couple more pics. First up an old drawing of my girlfriend. Don't worry, she doesnt look that manly in real life. I'm not ΦΦΦΦΦ or nothing.

Secondly, more experimentation on the Vyle style. Im using Barontieri brushset for these, cos the Vyle set that came on the IFX disc is for CS2 and wont work on my lowly CS1 :'( waaaaaaaaah I had the 'black queen' topic in my head from cow and i might go back and finish this yet cos I like it as a starting point.

Havnt got around to trying everyone's suggestions on Maui yet, but I will.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    nice stuff, keep on painting and drawing!
    You should draw/paint more though if you ask me.

more more more

-----------------------------------------------------------
    BJÍRN HURRI | CONCEPT ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR

MY PORTFOLIO | HURRICANES DAILY DOODLES '12
    MY EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOK
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, the Maui piece completely kicks ass! i didn't even realize you were from nz till i saw that and recognized the story instantly

i have to say some of the perspective isn't quite right in a few parts. The two figures closest to the fissure thing should be seen more from the top i believe. and the fire coming of Maui's hand is not very convincing at the moment, thats a tricky one.

nice stuff! i have to agree with hurricane though, MORE MORE MORE!

- book -
    - blog -
    - my etsy -
    - TomMonster.com -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, i know you're eager to hear crits and suggestions, but i really have no idea of what to tell ya.

Only suggestion is keep workin' hard as you are doing.That TD piece blew me apart, its my favourite of the whole bunch.Excellent work

keep sharing, i'll be back for more!

ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    there's this rather enjoyable ambient feel in your paintings. the first ones have it of course most obviously but the same soft feeling eminates from the rest of your stuff, really interesting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with kinnas. You have a great aesthetic feel when it comes to the atmosphere of your paintings, especially your first few. I love the vyle piece, are you going to continue it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hurricane - Thanks man! Awesome to get a comment from a CA legend like yourself. Love your work. I'm very subscribed to your thread And yeh, bad time to respond to your comment - its been a long while since updates. But Ive been busy with work. Some illus stuff I'll post soon, but some animation too - that wont be in this thread

Kronos
    - thanks for the tips man. I've lost the enthusiasm to touch up the maui just now. Too much work on. Maybe on the weekend, but I do want to go back. That will eventually become a portfolio piece, when I can finally leave it alone

TheGnoll- Thanks heaps man! Yeh i'll keep pushing

Kinnas - thanks bro. Its funny, i think, that some emerging artists (i consider myself emergin cos I still have so far to go...) get annoyed at the very things that make their work distinct. I think what many regard as my "style" are things i often dislike, because I cant do them realistic yet. They still have my ineptitude stamped all over them (that make sense?). So it is very reassuring when someone compliments on that very fact. So thankyou for your kind words, hitting me in a meaningful spot

Chaotic Knight - Thanks for agreeing As for the vyle piece - no real plans to carry it on, tho I do plan to do plenty more in the same style over time....

Small update today. I will post up my illustrations this week. That'll give ya'll something to looky at in the meantime, just some studies ive been doing
    The figure studies inspired by Bumskee. Check out his stuff if you have a few mins. His stuff is great.

Last edited by Cavematty; April 28th, 2007 at 02:07 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok so the figure studies didnt want to show up on here in the last post so I'll try posting again...

Btw... LAWTON / NIC / KIM / GUIDO if you are here looking around, thanks heaps for stopping by. Its always inspiring to hear positive comments or constructive criticisms. Helps with the drive on days when it really isnt going well and you gotta tough it through. You guys really should sign up tho and have your own sketchbooks. We could klan up and have links to each others in our sigs... geeky but be a good way to learn. And see who is slacking off! And then you could whack your comments right here in my thread too

anyway, enough pep talking... here's the pics
    the two-tone ones are an excercise from "painting people in watercolor" by Alex powers. The idea being you use two tones, and instead of trying to shade in shadow areas, you use the tones to seperate froms in space. So the contrast shows receding forms rather than light direction. Its an interesting excercise because it makes you think wuite differently. the book is quite good - a design approach to planning a picture rather than just painting blindly.
    I put my favourite one in at full size. Its amazing how simply you can indicate form. I need to get better at being loose
    the last ones are jus some studies. i never draw girls, thats why half these look uber manly ill get better tho

Last edited by Cavematty; April 28th, 2007 at 03:30 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok so here's a bit of work stuff.
    These are 2 of 4 spreads I did as what was really my first illustration commission for print.
    A frustrating job, because I really wanted to do an amazing job, but then the timelines were all messed up. Due to a prolonged feedback loop with an overseas client, I ended up only getting days at a time to do large parts of the work. So it is far from my best which annoys me, but I thought Id throw it up here for y'all to see.
    If anyone spots any consistent/glaring flaws in my style/approach PLEEEESE TELL ME! While asspats are always a pleasant, tingly sensation they help me far less in the long run than a slap across the face a good tip.

The layouts were by Leon Mackie, an in house graphic designer for the client.
    I removed the text cos the story aint mine, but its a story for a kids school journal. So there would be writing in the big blank spaces, u dig?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Started doing some fundamentals studies.
    This is the thread where you will find the excercises and heaps of information:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76955
    It is run by idiot apathy who is a talented artist and a giver among the community.
    If you feel like brushing up on some fundamentals, go take a look

Here's my images from what is actually excercise 2 (oops!)
    Its an excercise in tone, the colour is just there to confuse you (and it does).
    Good lessons learned tho

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Made it to lifedrawing last night. The first time in a while, despite Lawtons constant urging (keep it up mate!).

Here's some scans.
    Planning to keep it up and get into the groove

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.