Sketchbook: Cavematty Uncensored

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cavematty Uncensored

Hey guys. new to posting on here, but I arrive with a long history of peeping at Y'all, and much gusto. So I start a sketch thread with the intention of updating it Millions and Having heaps of work and learning all I can from this fantastic forum.

Please give me critical comments, I WILL update my works and take your suggestions on board.

Let the posting begin...

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Cavematty; July 17th, 2012 at 08:31 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok first up heres some speedystudies i did today. all about a half hour, all from photo ref, the first three on tone the last one just for fun. All i use is PS cos painter confuses me too much. Ps seems more direct.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys. Long time no update...
    Heres a sketch I did today. Was watching Six Feet Under (got out the DVD of season one... I really dont watch TV so its the only way I get to see the shows that everyone says are great... I went in there to get out deadwood )
    This is painted from a pause screen of episode one. I liked the lighting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

speed painting

Hey guys.
    Jus got back from 2 weeks away in Australia with my girl.
    Was an awesome holiday, and a very relaxing time.
    Also the longest I've spent away from my computer since I bought it two years ago I think... sheesh. Its amazing how being surrounded by new sights, smells, people and experiences invigorates your very being. You become hyper sensitve to life in its full splendor, far different to your routine existence. I feel like my routine self is missing out on so many shades of grey, but is it possible to live in such a state permanently? For isnt perception relative? So without the routine there would be no awakening, wihtout drudgery there would be no cathartic release? I dont know, but if i could live that way forever I would because I had a wonderful time. Relaxing and invigorating at once. great combo.
    Anyway... I got back with a newly purchased copy of ballistics concept art book (i got it in a bookshop over there - only one shop in the whole of NZ stocks their books!). I was inpsired by Mr Jones section so I started on a painting with no preconception of what it would become. It is surely influenced by my time in Sydney though, cos I loved the fruit bats!
    A big shout out to Kylie, for the most generaous and warm hospitality of the entire trip. I'll try illustrator soon... I promise
    Anyways heres the pic. about 2 hours.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [ Blog-ish post. Skip if you are looking for pictures ]

Hey guys. Ok since the sydney pic Ive been holidaying some more. Around NZ this time. A night in Taupo, then a thermal park in Rotorua, and finally a couple nights with the lovely Hawkey family up in Pukehina Beach. Gorgeous place, so relaxing. A lovely hearfelt welcome from the family, and a couple nights in a tent on the edge of the beach. So beautiful. Its such a shame my digital camera broke after Aussie, but it will live on in my memory for some time to come.

Anyways.... not much drawing got done. I am back home in Welly, now living with my budding young illustrator girlfriend and I am full of thirst. Thirst for upskilling. Ive been poking around CA some and found a few great and inspiring threads.

First up theres the old *CA Academy* forum lurking in the dead zone. There is some fantastic stuff in there and I'll be returning there many times in the coming weeks to read the lectures and do the lessons. Its cool having that style of teaching cos here in NZ the art schools really are quite bad. I learnt very little at Massey unfortunately. I love being guided for how to learn SMARTER cos i already know how to work hard.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I found this thread too ---> i.was.inks thread about artcentre :
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11305
    very inspiring again because of the kind of teaching there is out there.
    In honor of his sheer bulk of drawings, I have started studying again.
    Ill throw up some more of the cool inspiring links I've found around CA on here soon, but for now heres some studies I did after Bridgeman. Torso stuff, cos it is the core of a figure and a pose and I dont know it that well. Trying to understand the overall structure without getting too much into individual muscles.
    Comments and criticisms welcome. I am going to upskill a lot this year, and I would love any help I can get. If you give me constructive criticism
    I WILL CORRECT MY PICS
    I really want to learn so pleese rip me apart

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres a couple of portraits from my sketchbook. It had been a long time since I drew with a pencil. Embarrassing how wrapped up I was getting in my wacom huh?
    One is me, the other is my little brother watching TV (even tho I made him look older!).
    I know the eyes on the self portrait are whack, but I wanted to post it as a reference point. Like in the academy, or in that "drawing on the right side of the brain" book, Its a record of my current skill level, so this one is going up problems and all. I'll look back on this first page when I get discouraged
    I'll look into some skull structure round the eyes, cos I really cant make them sit quite right at the mo
    Thanks for looking.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Cavematty!
    Thx for ur post in my thread and the kind words!
    I just look through ur sb!
    u have good digital paintings!
    And the last pencil ist great too!!
    I also really like the Bridgeman studies!
    I tried to work throuhg this book too but the print is so
    bad and it hard to see the muscles.
    I workin through a book of vilppu at the moment and
    this is brilliant.
    Also great books I can recommend are the books of
    Bammes, Loomis and Hogarth!
    Keep it on!

My Sketchbook

www.ismilealot.com
    My Blogg and Homepage

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Gods at war!

Ok so im a little later than others starting on my thunderdome entry, but here is my first sketch
    I am doing the maori tale of maui taming te ra, the sun god. In the story they wait at the mouth of the cave he comes out of each morning, and throw ropes over him as he rises. then maui beats him with a jawbone axe. THe whole idea is the days are too short and they are teaching him a lesson to run across the sky slower.
    heres the prelim sketch, inspired my andrew jones and m@'s past works.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for posting, I think the that last painting would be drastically improved if you took what you were doing with the explosion on the red guys chest and applied that clean graphic quality to the rest of the image. Try composing the image with nothing but hard lined shapes and smooth curves and I think you will be happy with the result. Just as a minor pet peeve when you draw from an anatomy book ( Like Constructive Anatomy for example) make sure that you credit your source. Thanks again for the thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Forscience - Thanks for posting. I had a wee looky at your thread, awesome stuff. I took your advice on board even though I have completely changed the composition. And btw, I did credit Bridgeman

Showed the previous pic at work, and my friend Gary McGivney of Zippitoons suggested I move the camera to this new position to include a better look at Maui and his weapon. So what you see is the new TD entry in the works pld:

Following Forscience remarks I've made Te Ra the sun god a lot more graphic, and I think he reads far far better for it

Still plenty of work to do but I feel its a strong starting point.
    Comments welcome.
    I really will take the comments on board

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome speed studies man, really like 'em, and the sun god two also… the change really does make it more appealing, great job.

Punkboy's Sketchbook of random doodles and things 1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks punkboy.
    I actually changed the composition again on my wise girlfriends advice.
    To make it a vertical composition rather than horizontal, to emphasise the falling/weight movement.
    I think its an improvement though I may play with their framing a bit more from here before I'm happy.

For now I'm going to get a bit more tonal work going on in the scene so my decisions will be more educated

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cavematty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys.

Ok so tonal treatment is on.
    Needs a lot of refining and detailing. Needs the little guys hanging off Te Ra, and Te ra needs angry eyes, mouth and a moko.
    But I'm reasonably happy how its shaping up for the stage its at.

Lots to do for the TD deadline, but hey, who doesnt work better under pressure

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff! I like the rendering with pencils and the last wip is looking good.
    Keep more stuff, ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that last one looks awesome, the golden silhouette kicks ass.
    keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys thanks for looking.

Dreamworker - Just adding some more pencils - scans from an old sketchbook before I biff it. Needed a rest from the TD piece.
    Asoir - thanks heaps man. The silhoutte is better cos forscience told me to make it more graphic. He was right on that one

First up a pic of my flatmate Francis sleeping infront of episodes of "heroes".
    Thats right, he was so bored he fell asleep and I was so bored I drew him.
    Average likeness.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there Matt

Looking good bro. A truly motivating thread, also a great motivating person. Anyway I thought I would throw in my two cents. I have already told you but thought I would document my crit. Also grabbed your work and visually showed you my ideas.

The composition is looking a lot better than your first one and gary did have some good advice. It is working well. What I was thinking was you could lower the yellow god character and make Maui bigger as if he has just flown past the camera. At a vast rate of knots. Hurtling down at the sun god. also maybe making a part of maui be cropped by the edge. Or even a different idea I just thought of was making a border around the image of black as if there is a page there and then making Maui's foot pass out of the image into the black as if he is entering the picture. Just a silly little idea I had. thinking of comic strips where they do that with bits and pieces where things break the border of a image.

Anyway that is a long winded exclamation, which is how I try and get across what I mean. Hope it helps. Oh also I threw in some little guys holding ropes for fun. I know you are going to put them in they just throw some scale into the whole piece with Maui being up really high. He is quite high in my image. He will hurt himself for sure.

Cheers

Mark

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very nice Sp and i like the progress with fire man illustration

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Almost there. Few hours left yet though aye?
    Still plenty to do obviously. We'll see how far I get

Designbot - thanks for the comments. keeps ya going after everyone else has gone to bed

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lookin very cool man, good job on this lastone. Studies are lookin cool too, more of those please! I'd skip the red tatoos on the gods face, and the red in his eyes. Id go for totally black eyes and mouth, and nothing alse. I actually prefered the smoother look that the arms had before... There would probably be more light on the ground around him too. Heh, lots of thingies there, but they're all small. The pic looks cool, nice action n all that! Pretty unique too! Keep these goodies comin man. Seya.

Father Christmas will mess you up.
    Deviantart-page
    its my SKETCHBOOK! first page last page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1161566882 kicks ass so bad makes me wanna go draw one the same ! what sorta brushes did u use ? if u remember that is heh keep it up man oh and i agree with orifice on the gods face keep it comin dude !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys.
    First time up in TD. Here's the pic at submission time:

Its the Maori Myth of Maui taming the sun.
    The tale goes that Te Ra (the sun god), moved too fast across the sky and the days were too short. Maui (a demigod) decided to teach the sun a lesson, so with his warriors they waited at the mouth of the cave the sun rose from each morning. With flax ropes his warriors held the sun down, while Maui leapt onto him and beat him with a magical jawbone axe. That is why the days are now so long.

Learnt heaps from doing it, though of course coulda used more time. But hey I'll put some more work on it in the next week or so.

Thanks heaps to everyone who helped me with critiques Gary, Mark, Andy, Tom and of course my lubbely Jojo (and anyone i missed ). It came a long way from the initial sketch in only a few days. Ur perspective helps accelerate the process thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very striking composition. Hope you fully render it out. It would make an excellent portfolio piece.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loving the shadows.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very very good piece Cavematty. I'm being honest here, I think this one is one of the best of the bunch. And about your first sketch, I rather like it... maybe I would've worked on the sun's pose a bit. but anyway's kick ass. Your SB thread is pretty good, despite the few posts (yet!).. I'd like to see more analog stuff, the drawing of your friend is pretty well done.

greetings!
    GriNGoLoCo

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

wow wat a visual

hi matty..i liked ure sketch of that 'thing' ripping the earth and emerging ..the lava ghost..do u have a story concept for this ..?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

wow wat a visual

hi matty..i liked ure sketch of that 'thing' ripping the earth and emerging ..the lava ghost..do u have a story concept for this ..?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOW, That's one awesome sun god! I love the lighting on it all, gives it a great sense of power. It's stuff like this like make me feel great about the art community in general. Carry on good sir, carry on!!!!!!

If you aren't your harshest critic you're doing it wrong
    The Moleskine Mural Project--->http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=140345

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys. Thanks for the huge response to my TD piece!

Orifice - Thanks. The face tattoo is kinda important to the story so it had to stay, tho I made it sit a little better. Added more light, and tried the black eyes, couldnt seem to pull them off, but I was in a hurry. Maybe I'll try it for round 2.

Razorb - Thanks mate. The brushes I used for that were quite simple. FOr the grass I put down a layer of texture with th scatter brush (see pic below). For the gaps in the trees I used the opacity version of the same tip, to get a jaggedy edge to the holes. The rest was with a regular brush set to opacity. The FG stuff was soft edged to get depth of field, the midground stuff hard edged. Hope that helps at all. It was a pretty simple process. Did it very quick. I think the most important thing was a personal breakthrough on tone this day. The details are all kinda suggested but because the tone is accurate it all makes sense to your eye. The more I paint the more I realise I know so little about tone, and the more I realise tone is EVERYTHING! hehe.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1