Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Cavematty Uncensored

Thanks

Cavematty Uncensored

Hey guys. new to posting on here, but I arrive with a long history of peeping at Y'all, and much gusto. So I start a sketch thread with the intention of updating it Millions and Having heaps of work and learning all I can from this fantastic forum.

Please give me critical comments, I WILL update my works and take your suggestions on board.

Let the posting begin...
    Last edited by Cavematty; July 17th, 2012 at 08:31 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    ok first up heres some speedystudies i did today. all about a half hour, all from photo ref, the first three on tone the last one just for fun. All i use is PS cos painter confuses me too much. Ps seems more direct.

Thanks
    Hey guys. Long time no update...
    Heres a sketch I did today. Was watching Six Feet Under (got out the DVD of season one... I really dont watch TV so its the only way I get to see the shows that everyone says are great... I went in there to get out deadwood )
    This is painted from a pause screen of episode one. I liked the lighting.

Thanks

speed painting

Hey guys.
    Jus got back from 2 weeks away in Australia with my girl.
    Was an awesome holiday, and a very relaxing time.
    Also the longest I've spent away from my computer since I bought it two years ago I think... sheesh. Its amazing how being surrounded by new sights, smells, people and experiences invigorates your very being. You become hyper sensitve to life in its full splendor, far different to your routine existence. I feel like my routine self is missing out on so many shades of grey, but is it possible to live in such a state permanently? For isnt perception relative? So without the routine there would be no awakening, wihtout drudgery there would be no cathartic release? I dont know, but if i could live that way forever I would because I had a wonderful time. Relaxing and invigorating at once. great combo.
    Anyway... I got back with a newly purchased copy of ballistics concept art book (i got it in a bookshop over there - only one shop in the whole of NZ stocks their books!). I was inpsired by Mr Jones section so I started on a painting with no preconception of what it would become. It is surely influenced by my time in Sydney though, cos I loved the fruit bats!
    A big shout out to Kylie, for the most generaous and warm hospitality of the entire trip. I'll try illustrator soon... I promise
    Anyways heres the pic. about 2 hours.

Thanks
    [ Blog-ish post. Skip if you are looking for pictures ]

Hey guys. Ok since the sydney pic Ive been holidaying some more. Around NZ this time. A night in Taupo, then a thermal park in Rotorua, and finally a couple nights with the lovely Hawkey family up in Pukehina Beach. Gorgeous place, so relaxing. A lovely hearfelt welcome from the family, and a couple nights in a tent on the edge of the beach. So beautiful. Its such a shame my digital camera broke after Aussie, but it will live on in my memory for some time to come.

Anyways.... not much drawing got done. I am back home in Welly, now living with my budding young illustrator girlfriend and I am full of thirst. Thirst for upskilling. Ive been poking around CA some and found a few great and inspiring threads.

First up theres the old *CA Academy* forum lurking in the dead zone. There is some fantastic stuff in there and I'll be returning there many times in the coming weeks to read the lectures and do the lessons. Its cool having that style of teaching cos here in NZ the art schools really are quite bad. I learnt very little at Massey unfortunately. I love being guided for how to learn SMARTER cos i already know how to work hard.

Thanks
    I found this thread too ---> i.was.inks thread about artcentre :
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11305
    very inspiring again because of the kind of teaching there is out there.
    In honor of his sheer bulk of drawings, I have started studying again.
    Ill throw up some more of the cool inspiring links I've found around CA on here soon, but for now heres some studies I did after Bridgeman. Torso stuff, cos it is the core of a figure and a pose and I dont know it that well. Trying to understand the overall structure without getting too much into individual muscles.
    Comments and criticisms welcome. I am going to upskill a lot this year, and I would love any help I can get. If you give me constructive criticism
    I WILL CORRECT MY PICS
    I really want to learn so pleese rip me apart

Thanks
    Heres a couple of portraits from my sketchbook. It had been a long time since I drew with a pencil. Embarrassing how wrapped up I was getting in my wacom huh?
    One is me, the other is my little brother watching TV (even tho I made him look older!).
    I know the eyes on the self portrait are whack, but I wanted to post it as a reference point. Like in the academy, or in that "drawing on the right side of the brain" book, Its a record of my current skill level, so this one is going up problems and all. I'll look back on this first page when I get discouraged
    I'll look into some skull structure round the eyes, cos I really cant make them sit quite right at the mo
    Thanks for looking.

Thanks
    Hey Cavematty!
    Thx for ur post in my thread and the kind words!
    I just look through ur sb!
    u have good digital paintings!
    And the last pencil ist great too!!
    I also really like the Bridgeman studies!
    I tried to work throuhg this book too but the print is so
    bad and it hard to see the muscles.
    I workin through a book of vilppu at the moment and
    this is brilliant.
    Also great books I can recommend are the books of
    Bammes, Loomis and Hogarth!
    Keep it on!
    My Sketchbook

www.ismilealot.com
    My Blogg and Homepage

Thanks

Gods at war!

Ok so im a little later than others starting on my thunderdome entry, but here is my first sketch
    I am doing the maori tale of maui taming te ra, the sun god. In the story they wait at the mouth of the cave he comes out of each morning, and throw ropes over him as he rises. then maui beats him with a jawbone axe. THe whole idea is the days are too short and they are teaching him a lesson to run across the sky slower.
    heres the prelim sketch, inspired my andrew jones and m@'s past works.

Thanks
    Thanks for posting, I think the that last painting would be drastically improved if you took what you were doing with the explosion on the red guys chest and applied that clean graphic quality to the rest of the image. Try composing the image with nothing but hard lined shapes and smooth curves and I think you will be happy with the result. Just as a minor pet peeve when you draw from an anatomy book ( Like Constructive Anatomy for example) make sure that you credit your source. Thanks again for the thread.

Thanks
    Forscience - Thanks for posting. I had a wee looky at your thread, awesome stuff. I took your advice on board even though I have completely changed the composition. And btw, I did credit Bridgeman

Showed the previous pic at work, and my friend Gary McGivney of Zippitoons suggested I move the camera to this new position to include a better look at Maui and his weapon. So what you see is the new TD entry in the works pld:

Following Forscience remarks I've made Te Ra the sun god a lot more graphic, and I think he reads far far better for it

Still plenty of work to do but I feel its a strong starting point.
    Comments welcome.
    I really will take the comments on board

Thanks
    Awesome speed studies man, really like 'em, and the sun god two also… the change really does make it more appealing, great job.
    Punkboy's Sketchbook of random doodles and things 1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9

Thanks
    Hey thanks punkboy.
    I actually changed the composition again on my wise girlfriends advice.
    To make it a vertical composition rather than horizontal, to emphasise the falling/weight movement.
    I think its an improvement though I may play with their framing a bit more from here before I'm happy.

For now I'm going to get a bit more tonal work going on in the scene so my decisions will be more educated

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cavematty For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast