Portfolio critique, opinions valued!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Portfolio critique, opinions valued!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face Portfolio critique, opinions valued!

Hi, I'm looking to transfer my college credits to some US schools (among them, Ringling, AAU, MCAD), and here is my portfolio compiled to show it. I would value any opinions about which I should put in / throw out, areas that I should improve and work more on, etc!!!

I would really appreciate all inputs I can get into improving my work, and to make the portfolio the best as I can.

I am looking to major in Illustration .
    Thank you so much.

http://lucioleloong.com/misc/portf5.jpg

My website is http://lucioleloong.com.

Last edited by luciole; October 22nd, 2006 at 11:31 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I cant critique much. I like your work, it's really nice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it really depends of the school you want to take. every university have his own preferences. I think that you should find people that are studing in places you like and ask them. bacause in Poland, for example, you don't have big chance with a portfolio like this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by marti
    it really depends of the school you want to take. every university have his own preferences. I think that you should find people that are studing in places you like and ask them. bacause in Poland, for example, you don't have big chance with a portfolio like this.

any suggestions on how she could improve or what she could improve? that's a mighty ominous statement to give someone and just leave it at that.

Luciole:

I really think you need to unload the calligraphic pics (#'s 1 and 4) most schools are looking for representation of some form, whether it be figurative, still life, environments, obervational, etc. especially more life drawing.

Last edited by euphony; October 22nd, 2006 at 10:59 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think what marti's comment implied was that- the Portfolio is extremley numerous and with no particular focus. Depending on what majors you are goin for (Digital Media, Illustration, Animation, Fine Arts, etc.). There is a saying that goes "Your Portfolio is only as good as the worst piece in it", namely- quality over quantity. I say take your best figure drawings, your best water colors, and maybe 3-4 of your digital pieces in a 9-12 piece portfolio. Make sure to choose only the best quality, and make sure the accuratley display your technical aptitude. Don't put "filler" stuff in, and make sure the non-life drawings you put in are directed twoards your major- some of the stuff in there looked like a 9th grade art project, other stuff looked really nice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    theflash: thank you!

marti: i will look them up, thanks

euph: gotcha !

justin: I think i was misunderstood, thats just my art pot, not the final portfolio But I've uploaded a new one, which is the actual portfolio, keeping what you said in mind. thank you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a little worried about the numerous "head shots from photographs." My school (SCAD) in particular frowns on artwork taken from photos (unless you were the one to take them) and I also don't see that it shows your creativity as an artist. Also, the first painted still life is rather flat and weak looking compared to the other.

I would add more work from life (nude models, architecture) and also a couple of pieces that show your interest in your major. A children's book illo, editorial comic, book cover, etc.

I do like your variety of medium and technique with color. You can obviously do well-drawn heads. Let's see something more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your portfolio is kind of mixed and it's not a good thing. I can only say things that I've learned in my school. first of all you should build your portfolio for a school you want to take. with works you are showing noone can tell what do you want to study. in my art academy really inportant is drawing of human body and I think that you should add some. showing manga and so drawings is good only for animator. I think that first of all you should show two things:
    that you can draw well things you see (proportions and value are most important here) and that you know how to use colour. you do not paint as for now- you draw with colours and it's a big difference.
    but I think it's a good begining. you have enough time I think

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you'll have no problem getting into any art school of your choice. You more than adequately display an ability to draw from life and you have plenty of pieces. While schools would love superstars coming in and wowing them, we also want to know that students can understand the basics as well- and you seem to do that just fine. The trick for you now is to edit and assemble them for a presentation to the prospective schools.

You're well on your way. Good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by marti
    Why is that???

Coming in as a transfer student, I think this stuff shows more than adequate skill. While I'm sure there are also more than a handful of high school kids that are JUST as talented, I don't recall seeing too many high school portfolios of this caliber. Remember that this is for submission to enter college, not to compete on a professional level yet.

What if she were to come in as an undeclared art major?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're doing pretty well so far. Your color media and rendering skills are very good, but I agree that drawing your work directly from photos is usually a point against the pieces in a portfolio review.

You need to include more drawings/paintings from life for an art school portfolio. See if there's a local school/college or art association that offers figure drawing classes; it's a great way to build a body of that kind of work (no pun intended). You can also go take a walk around the area you live/work draw things that you see, or set up your own still life with a theme that interests you. Draw them directly from life, not using any photo reference.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.