Accepted to Ringling, Considering AAC

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Accepted to Ringling, Considering AAC

Hi everyone, before I begin I would just like to let everyone know that I finally registered and will start posting some of my work soon. I've been visiting this site for the last month and I have been very impressed with the work I've seen.

I am writing to see if I could get some advice. I just finished my 3rd year at a UC (University of California) studying what they call "Studio Art", I've been wanting to do computer animation, and this is not the place to be, found that out after my first year, its a long story. I just found out about Ringling's computer animation program this year, I applied, and I got in. I am very excited about that, I start in August. I did my research, looked at Art institutes, Cal Arts and Savannah, even Sheridan in Canada. Ringling looked like the best bet to me, their Computer Animation program ranks pretty high.

Ok, almost to my question. I'm not sure why, but I've started considering Academy of Art College in San Francisco. Ringling looks perfect for me, small classes, amazing student work, good reputation, and they seem to have a good career placement department. The main issue is the cost, if I went to AAC I'd save $3,000 a semester ($6,600 instead of $9,600), that's a savings of $24,000 over 4 years.

Here's my question. How does AAC compare to Ringling? The recruiting companies look similar, and the student work is also nice. I haven't compared them enough to see if Ringling is worth the extra $24,000. Like I said, so far I'm set on Ringling, but for some reason I'm looking at AAC, it may just be jitters over transferring all the way to Florida, or maybe over the cost.

I'd appreciate any advice you guys can provide, either first hand experiences or those of friends, personal opinions, anything really.

Once again, thanks in advance for any advice and thank you to those who read this whole posting. I'll try to respond to advice or questions, but I'm moving out today, I won't have my computer hooked up Saturday, and I'm going to Mexico for a week this Sunday. I'll check out the replies from a friend's computer, or maybe a Starbucks or something. So please post, I'll definitely be reading.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Look at the student work from AAC and look at the senior thesis work from Ringling.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

compared the work

Well, I checked out the work again. The thesis work from ringling looks awesome, some is as good as what you see at the movies. AAC work does not look as finished or polished.

I wonder what the Ringling work, other than the thesis projects look like? I'll check out the student websites. Thanks a lot for the advice, the quality of work on the website definitely looks better at RSAD.

Any more opinions would be great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

scholarship

wouldn't hurt to check out scholarship money? who knows?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you subract the issue of cost from this equation, Ringling is a better school all around, par none. There is no comparison. Even with money factored in, Ringling is still better. I've done a lot of research on these schools.

The only question is how much of a factor money is in your particular situation. If it's really important to save 24,000 over 4 years, that is to say, if you don't think you'll become good enough to get the kind of job where you can comfortably justify this extra cost, then go to AAC. But the bottom line is, you won't get near the training.

AAC will give you some good quality training; but Ringling will make you one of the best. Again, this is only if you have the talent to begin with. No school can make you the best if you don't have the talent. But if you have the talent, a lot of schools still can't give you the skills you need to become the best. Ringling can. I'm not so sure about AAC.

But then you may also consider the level of your talent in this fashion: Some artists go to schools less than AAC, sometimes they go to piddly little vocational institutes, and they still become the best. There are guys out there that didn't go to school at all, and they blow every college grad away that I've seen. If you think you can do that, then AAC would be the best choice hands down, because you'd save yourself 24,000 and lose nothing.

Just some food for thought. :chug:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks for the advice

I just want to thank everyone for the help. I decided about a month or 2 ago that I'd stick with Ringling. The way I see it, I'm going to be in debt no matter what, might as well get the best training I can. I 've already made my first 2 monthly payments and I'm all set to go this August 17th, I'll be driving from California all the way to Florida and will start school on the 25th.

I'm sorry I haven't had any time to post my work yet, but I hope to start soon and possibly meet up with some of the CA members here at Ringling this fall.

Keep up the good work members, you guys are awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sounds good. see you there:chug:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.