Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Noob overload

Thanks

Angry Noob overload

I welcome noobs to CA, Im one of the first to pull out the welcome mat, but recently there has been more than a few noobs who are rude, and unwilling to take criticism in a positive way. I have seen noobs being rude to some of our elders as well...well this place to me is based on respect. Respect to others, Respect to elders, and respect to others work. No matter how bad it is,
    If you are a noob, here are some words or phrases that could be considered hostile( and btw, I have seen many use them before)
    • You suck
    • F u
    • bite me
    • "who are you to tell me what to do with my work"
    • "I'll do what I want"
    • my way, my style, my preference

If in fact you use these catchy noob phrases, then my noob friend you have no need for CA, for you are a master of your own technique. Go open a gallery somewhere and send me an autographed copy of your latest work.
    If all you are looking for is compliments, show it to your granparents or take it to deviant art.
    Most of the artists giving crits here are much to sophisticated or kind to reply to you how it is deserved, I for one will no longer tolerate such immature responses, I will start reporting rude, uncalled for replies to the nearest Mod, so that your asses can get banned. Because afterall, talented or not, who wants a rude, immature noob around.
    Perhaps Im being to harsh on the noobs, you think?
    J.L. ALFARO

"Be who you are and say what you feel,because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Good call. I have noticed a bit of immaturity breeding here lately as well. This is a drama-free environment.
    Let's stay classy, CA.

Thanks
    I don't see why anyone would disagree on that.

Thanks
    We must hide, for the noobs seek vengeance and bad anatomy..

Thanks
    What I see lately is the increasing softening of comments, sugarcoating and an overall decline in quality control, particularly in the FF section. Whereas a couple of months ago things that were unfinished and/or of poor craftmanship would be moved instantly, now they sit comfily in the section without anyone really addressing the problems. Furthermore, there is a lack of useful and unadulterated feedback lately. A lot of these new 'recruits' mostly post one liners, such as 'cool' 'awesome' and so on and so forth.
    I don't like being the raincloud that ruins your parade but those are my personal observations as of late.
    DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    They all probably came over from the dark side DA hopeing for a better forum ....But they haven't lost there DA thinking caps...

DA has been getting a lot of discruntled artist lately... and CA has been mentioned a few times on the job boards

So maybe their all migrating.
    Who exactly is this minjit you ask?
    Rorke's Sketch Book of Doomy Dooomm!
    I don't want to go mommy...>.< you can't make me!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”
    --Robert McCloskey quote

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by evildisco
    What I see lately is the increasing softening of comments, sugarcoating and an overall decline in quality control, particularly in the FF section. Whereas a couple of months ago things that were unfinished and/or of poor craftmanship would be moved instantly, now they sit comfily in the section without anyone really addressing the problems. Furthermore, there is a lack of useful and unadulterated feedback lately. A lot of these new 'recruits' mostly post one liners, such as 'cool' 'awesome' and so on and so forth.
    I don't like being the raincloud that ruins your parade but those are my personal observations as of late.
    I agree

Thanks
    I can definitely say that DA is steadily getting worse, and worse and worse. So yeah, there are people migrating.

I think CA in some regards looks to have softened up somewhat over the time I've been here. Maybe we need less asspats and more shredding and ripping? Although it's good to give encouraging feedback aswell...

Thanks
    evildisco: I have noticed that as well, there are many unfinished or lower quality sketch-like pieces floating around in there(FF). If you notice, mostly put there by noobs as well. I think the Mods need to step it up a notch and keep the quality high on our FF. There are other places for those works here at CA, someone just needs to redirect them.
    Perhaps we should have a "Report this Thread" button with the appropriate check boxes for easy mod check up.-just an idea.
    Those one liners-although it is a bit annoying at times when one is looking for some constructive criticism, it is still not as annoying as giving someone a crit and receiving hell in return. and they will learn, or they can go to deviant where the one-liners have originated from.(IMO)
    DA can keep their banned noobs, thats pretty much what were getting here. why should CA be the dump ground?
    J.L. ALFARO

"Be who you are and say what you feel,because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss

Thanks
    Well seeing as this is such a great place with such great artists and a generally respectful population this place is bound to attract noobs, and get me right on this, nothing wrong with noobs, we all start out there.

But sadly a certain percentage (as in the rest of the world) of all the noobs will be a bunch of rude buggers. The biggest favour we can do them is getting that cockiness and diva attitude out of them so they are allowed to really start growing in their artistic craftsmanship and hopefully as human beings as well. And as for ass-patters and people who just want to collect posts for some freaking unimaginable reason, that are just annoying the crap out of me.

Anyhow, I think something like a simple and well drawn “image-series tutorial“ that pops up when you register or something like that would do wonders. Just having it explain the basic rules, the structure of the forum (Finally finished and critique centre etc.) and a general explanation of the goals of CA as well as what will be expected of you as a member. No crazy Gestapo shit but more of a friendly and humorous welcoming thing that get’s people in the right mood and explains the difference between real critique and ass-pats. After all, I’ve seen the same thing being explained a thousand times to a thousand and two different peoples.

Actually.. seeing as we are a bunch of artists, why don’t we just outline the general frames and code of conduct that already applies to this place (more or less) and help out doing a snappy presentation/tutorial thing? If we outline it together and then just do a frame each, or something like that it wouldn’t be much work per person and I for one think that It might be worth it. At least we could have it hosted somewhere and just post the link when someone is doing something stupid or inexperienced instead of having to tell people the same things over and over.

What do you guys and galls think? Is it a decent idea or am I just popping way too many pills?

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Honestly, I hadn't noticed a particular spike recently, certainly not compared to what we usually get in January (I got a Wacom for Christmas, look at me!) and June (Schools out, look at me!).
    As for FF, we do have a report button, it's the exclamation point inside a triange at the top right of every post. However, it's best to reserve that for spam and other gross misconduct. If anyone sees something that they think should be moved and hasn't been, drop me a PM with the thread URL and I'll take a look.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Also, remember that every one of us had a first post once. Some folks that have gone on to be among the most active and productive members here had pretty rocky beginnings.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    Yes I agree Tristan, but it has been pervasive this year.
    It would be a good thing to remind everyone that CA is not supposed to be asspat central and that useful feedback and a certain love for the community is a must and not just optional.
    Of course I'm saying this because I'd hate to see CA becoming more and more unfocused and diluted.

A lot of times I get snappy and vitriolic because of this trend, which of course is not ideal.
    DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    The word noob eats at the credibility of the complaint.... This is a place for artistic discussion and netowrking, not counter-strike or WoW.

My take- as the amount of people here grow, so does the amount of the undesirable elements. At the same token, there will be more people to learn from and new talent cropping up. Being civil and giving people the benefit of the doubt (like Elwell said) will hopefully keep the culture and respect level going.

Thanks
    the thing is, everyone was a noob once.
    When I came to CA, start of the year, I was a complete noob, and my drawings while not absolutely terrible, were of the noob type quality.
    Thankfully Im not a noob anymore, but I have seen a drop of quality in the sb section.
    Be respectful, dont reply like a DA nub, and give advice and help no matter whether the artist is good or bad.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell
    Also, remember that every one of us had a first post once. Some folks that have gone on to be among the most active and productive members here had pretty rocky beginnings.
    you make a good point there, but there is a difference from a rocky beggining and just having a nasty attitude. I recall a couple of people apologizing after tearing someones head off, but then theres the "bite me" people who snap at every crit or comment being said. those are the new "recruits" Im talking about.

This is a place for artistic discussion and netowrking, not counter-strike or WoW
    Im not talking about "counter-strike" here, but when I see my fellow artists trying to help someone and then getting a new one ripped on them...yeah that pisses me off a little. Those responses I talk about have happened to other people not myself-at least not without an apology- and instead of the thread turning into a "this is how you get better" thread-turns into "why are you not taking crits well" thread, tired of it, we are all here to learn from our elders-including them.
    J.L. ALFARO

-Dr. Seuss

Thanks
    I can take a harsh crit, the harsher and more truthfull the better, the better I will be...but I cant stand idiotic replys, like that guy who called me an "emo clown" thats all he wrote as a crit to my work. wheres the sense in that?
    J.L. ALFARO

-Dr. Seuss

Thanks
    I have noticed something similar to this. I am really hoping that some of the butts on this forum aren't a huge deterrant for those who are a constant source of helpful information and inspiration. It would be most unfortunate if CA were to become a victim of it's own success.
    I'm Burning A Hole In Your Mind...

Criticism Encouraged

Thanks
    I do have an idea that might work, because we can&#180;t ban teens who don&#180;t act like adults nor espect for people who their ass as been repeteadly kissed by family and friends to come around in a few hours...

We could give awards, like the Manky award that was trown as a joke some time ago, or an ass-kissing award, spammer award, etc.

Social preassure is very powerfull.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JLAlfaro
    but then theres the "bite me" people who snap at every crit or comment being said. those are the new "recruits" Im talking about.
    They never last long. Either they storm off in a huff, or they stick around until they annoy everyone so much that they get banned.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    plus even though I'd rather not have people like that here. It's still entertaining to watch their replys crash and burn. They either learn a valuable lesson, or just give up and storm out.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    Here's the solution: we all critique more, and at a serious level. Those noobs who don't like it will go find somewhere else to play.
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Que up Pantera's "Walk"...

Thanks
    How about when someone displays an image depicting a barely covered woman gleefully holding a knife and who has apparently just decapitated the man she was having sex with. Immature and conceptually offensive material should be kept away from "serious" sites such as Conceptart, but that's my opinion. There is not even a use for such grotesque artistry.

So when I see that sort of work, my first critique will be of the concept which comes from the artist, essentially being a critique of the artist. Now, I do AGREE that commenting with phrases such as "emo clown", which I happened upon doing upon such a depiction of mental immaturity and social and even sexual insecurity, is rude but I also find the posting of such material rude.
    I also harbour the opinion that having to read of such "serious" artists trashing and putting down "noobs" or "newbs" is equally rude and something quite the opposite of what should be happening in a "serious" site. Don't call new artists "noobs", it's putting them down. Also, don't judge entirely on the few works that new artists would put onto this website.

Also, anatomy and perspective aren't everything.

BUT... if you are being nice to someone and they aren't being nice back, go ahead, beat them up. But don't cry when someone feels they've rightfully called you an "emo clown", it doesn't actually hurt you.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jp.hebbel
    snippity
    Okay, so what if you find someone elses art immature. Personally who are you to judge what a person should consider decent art.
    That wasn't supposed to sound mean, but a general rule of respect amongst all memebers of this board should be as it has always been throughout history.
    If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Like if someone posts something you don't like, don't say "wow thats a peice of crap", or "wow get skillz". If it's obviously againts the rules to be posted here, then report it to an admin.

If something offends you even if it is against the rules, just tell an admin, don't make a stand to the poster because you aren't going to get anywhere.

These are obvious things, and everyone should have that respect for one another.

That wasn't entirely directed at JP
    Last edited by Koh; October 22nd, 2006 at 01:23 AM.

Thanks
    ... if you are being nice to someone and they aren't being nice back, go ahead, beat them up. But don't cry when someone feels they've rightfully called you an "emo clown", it doesn't actually hurt you.
    So calling someone names like "clown" is mature in your point of view?
    you dont feel the piece being shown has anything to offer you so you call the artist a clown...hmm very mature of you, interesting concept, I guess you missed all the other postings and the story behind it... my challenge still stands jp...if your mature enough to take it. obviously you have something better to offer than what I got, so prove it baby..thunderdome style, you n me, mano a mano, mod sets up the rules and topic, what do you say?
    J.L. ALFARO

-Dr. Seuss

Thanks
    How about when someone displays an image depicting a barely covered woman gleefully holding a knife and who has apparently just decapitated the man she was having sex with. Immature and conceptually offensive material should be kept away from "serious" sites such as Conceptart, but that's my opinion. There is not even a use for such grotesque artistry.

So when I see that sort of work, my first critique will be of the concept which comes from the artist, essentially being a critique of the artist. Now, I do AGREE that commenting with phrases such as "emo clown", which I happened upon doing upon such a depiction of mental immaturity and social and even sexual insecurity, is rude but I also find the posting of such material rude.
    I also harbour the opinion that having to read of such "serious" artists trashing and putting down "noobs" or "newbs" is equally rude and something quite the opposite of what should be happening in a "serious" site. Don't call new artists "noobs", it's putting them down. Also, don't judge entirely on the few works that new artists would put onto this website.

Also, anatomy and perspective aren't everything.

BUT... if you are being nice to someone and they aren't being nice back, go ahead, beat them up. But don't cry when someone feels they've rightfully called you an "emo clown", it doesn't actually hurt you.
    your a real CLOWN yourself.. keep it up

Thanks
    I agree with evil disco that there seems to be a lot of asspatting recently, but I was wondering if there was more complicated terminology
    other than "comments and crits please/hope you enjoy" things like that. I never know if the professionals are looking for critiques or
    just trying to inspire us. I saw the Insomania thread and when I saw Hurricane throwin out some crits on Jones stuff, and I seriously
    thought "what was he thinking? its Andrew Jones!!" which is probably the wrong reaction. I'm just wondering if the general consensus
    is that you give props to pro's and crits to NOOBS, or attempt a crit every time?? Sure would keep the replies down but it would be soo
    much more helpful.

EDIT: Thanks Elwell, i'd been looking for something along those lines to put in my sig~*
    Last edited by Sartell; October 22nd, 2006 at 02:14 AM.
    ____i_should_be_animating___________
    Sartell's Distraction sketchbook

Nothing touches an artist as much as the person who says, “I would like to own this little piece of your soul… here's some cash.” Matt Cavotta

§ East Meets West SBSG §

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartell
    I'm just wondering if the general consensus
    is that you give props to pro's and crits to NOOBS, or attempt a crit every time?? Sure would keep the replies down but it would be soo
    much more helpful.
    Here's the only rule, it's very simple and it applies to everyone: If you have something intelligent, constructive, or amusing to say, good or bad, say it. Otherwise, don't.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedling
    Here's the solution: we all critique more, and at a serious level.
    sounds like a good idea to me, something I really need to follow myself. I've realized through my time on this site and through class critiques that complimenting is much easier than actually critiquing and that some people tend to take personal offense to any critiques actually given (I don'tmean to point out obvious things but yea). something I've noticed with myself is that saying a critique can really feel like an insult at times; been realizing that ya just gotta say it in a constructive way and it shouldn't be interpreted that way. A nice thing some of my teachers have done with our class critiques have been starting with what you don't like/what's bugging you and end with the positives (how I really need to start posting honestly). that way you can at least attempt to soften any personal blows (if the person takes it personally that is) with some compliments at the end.

in terms of newer people getting a bit on the ruder side, I say as long as you offered help you did your part. the decision they make is in their hands.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast