Thread: The Prestige

Thanks

The Prestige

I was actually quite surprised by this movie, it had a very haunting feel to it..but I'd have to say David Bowie is one of the coolest people to have ever been invented.

Thoughts?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I thought it was terrible.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    at what point was it terrible? it had some awesome acting (i felt that christian bale could have been better, but that was only on the accent aspect) and the story telling was superb. it was a bit easy to guess at the ending and know whats coming next, but still an awesome movie all around.
    -=[ Sinister Six Sketch Group ]=-
    -=[ Cookiedough Fooxoo |ntern Hyver Character Evildisco]=-

Thanks
    yeah dudeski, if you're gunna say its terrible, you gotta at least give a reason.

I loved a few moments in that movie based souly on cinematography...namely when he first walks up the hill in the snow, and that scene with the lightbulbs..

also scarlett johanssen.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I absolutely loved it, best movie I've seen in a while. Just like a magic act, it twisted and turned, and even though I guessed at the ending a bit of the way through, the 'other half' of the ending (if you catch my drift) really took me by surprize.

Loved that they had tesla in there, wasn't expecting that.

And Interceptor, I'm really not trying to start an argument, I'd just really like to know why you think it was terrible out of curiosity.

Thanks
    I saw it yesterday and I loved it. The characters were engaging and just when I thought I had things figured out it threw you another curve. It's a good example of how obsession can be destructive to yourself and everyone around you. I agree that Tesla was a nice touch. I think the last movie that even made a refernce to him was "Ghostbusters". It reminded me of the theory about Telsa's experiments being responsible for the Tunguska blast. I hope there will be some good insightfull commentaries when the DVD comes out.
    old sketchbook... new sketchbook...under construction

Thanks
    The last movie to mention Telsa was Coffee and Cigarettes.

I havn't seen it yet, I heard it was good.

But I figured I'd drop the Telsa note.

Thanks
    I guess I just found the script to be very heartless. That's not to say performances were'nt good. But even if you have a golden performance, if it leads to no real purpose it does'nt matter. That's the way I felt about it.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    how about the other magician movie, "The Illusionist"? Was that good?

Thanks
    It dragged a bit at parts, but overall it was pretty decent. The two[three] magician's competition carried the movie pretty well. The female characters aren't too engaging. The story is pretty heartless since it revolves around the competition and being the better magician no matter the cost.

David Bowie was Tesla I'm guessing? He didn't look like david bowie at all.

the historical elements of Tesla and Edison worked pretty well in the movie too.

Thanks
    didn't see the prestige, but saw the illusionist. Pretty decent flick overall, the acting was great. i thought the ending when the detective "suddenly" REALIZED he'd been tricked was kinda tacky, done in a montage way because the writer couldn't figure out a better way to conclude it.

Edward Norton gives a great performance, as usual, but Paul Giamatti really stole the show.

Thanks
    i head the illusionist was awful. mainly in the story and dialogue which almost makes me want to see it cause edward norton is freakin awesome and cant believe he gave a bad performance
    -=[ Sinister Six Sketch Group ]=-
    -=[ Cookiedough Fooxoo |ntern Hyver Character Evildisco]=-

Thanks
    Yeah, I agree, The Prestige was better than The Illusionist. No doubt. The Prestige was well shot, had more engaging performances (particularly from Christian Bale), and while the ending was kinda telegraphed it still had a bit of punch to it.
    Christopher Nolan certainly has a nice streak of good movies goin.

I just wish David Bowie had broken out into that song from Labyrinth... "Dance, magic dance!"

Also, HugeHarHar, Coffee and Cigarettes was extremely hit and miss, some of the conversations were great, others were interminable.

Thanks
    I watched it last night with my friend... And my friend possed me with the question if you were faced with the same situation at the end do you think you would "kill yourself"... and I am pretty sure that if it were me... I would say to myself.... "you'll understand." and then shoot.
    So I guess I'll ask the same thing here "What would you have done?"
    I think it would have been equally effective had he just of made a double of himself like the other guy... But I guess the ending would not have been so interesting if he made a moral choice like that.
    Who exactly is this minjit you ask?
    Rorke's Sketch Book of Doomy Dooomm!
    I don't want to go mommy...>.< you can't make me!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”
    --Robert McCloskey quote

Thanks
    i thought the whole thing was nonsense.. i was pretty captivated by it till the end, and it turned into a sci-fi soap apera and just went over board. but to answer your question, yeah i wouldnt hesitate to 'kill myself' if i were in that situation..
    it's only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything..

Thanks
    still over all I don't think the ending killed it completely for me... I give it a thumbs up...ha ha hell of a lot better then some of the other crap they got in the theaters these days
    Who exactly is this minjit you ask?
    Rorke's Sketch Book of Doomy Dooomm!
    I don't want to go mommy...>.< you can't make me!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”
    --Robert McCloskey quote

Thanks
    Just saw The Prestige this past weekend. It wasn't bad, but the ending really turned me off to the whole thing. I was too sci-fi for me. I was expecting a drama. I was expecting Tesla's invention to be rooted in actual science not some hogwash the director and his brother thought sounded really cool. I also thought the flashback/realtime thing was a little fragmented and kind of made it drag on.

I saw The Illusionist a few weeks ago, too. I went in to it kind of expecting to hate it, and I actually really enjoyed it. I thought it was going to be an effects-driven movie, but turned out otherwise. I thought they did a much better job of getting the period feeling down. I really liked the old style vignetting and somewhat sepia-toned images in the beginning (actually wish they'd made it last throughout), and Philip Glass's score really pushed it to the eerie side of things. In contrast, I thought the score in The Prestige really lacked.

-Chris

Thanks
    It was interesting. Yup. I figured it out about halfway through the movie (maybe father along, it was so long and hard to tell). Yeah, David Bowie, I didn't recognize him.

Thanks
    Was Borden's twin an actual clone?

Great movie, BTW. I kinda knew that Fallon was a twin, but the twist for me was the idea that Tesla's machine did not work until it was revealed why Angier had a water tank under the stage. Maybe another twist would be Borden and his twin "taking turns" being one person.

Thanks
    no I think borden's twin was his actual brother, but im not sure. I personally liked The illusionist better, especially the ending. The prestige was just alright for me, the climax was a little weak.

Thanks
    Yeah, Fallon was a real twin, and yes, they shared the same life, each taking turns. I think neither of them knew who the father of the little girl was. And no idea which one was the one that got shot in the hand.