Thanks

Few Q's on CA role.

Could you please answer a few of my nagging questions?

How does the concept artist position fair these days? Is it hard to break into the industry as a CA? What skills are required and what are employers looking for? Would a graduate have a tough time becoming one straight away, especially in the UK?

Thanks.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Which industry are you looking to get into? In most entertainment industries, companies are hiring more and more concept artists these days, so the profession is faring quite well.

But it's still a very difficult job to break into. Most people won't get a job as a concept artist straight out of school, unless they've got a hell of a portfolio. I don't know what the movie industry is like, but in games, any company that can afford to hire someone strictly as a concept artist can afford to hire someone very good with a lot of experience. Smaller companies will tend to hire artists with a wider range of skills, or just contract out the concept art.

0kelvin
    www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    Fl3wk - there's info on concept art in the games industry in the link in my sig. . .
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Now that I think about it, they would want someone well experienced and skilled. What other professions would you say would compliment CA enough so that when I do get to the point that I can break into it, I developed those skills.

Off the top of my head, it would be a 3D artist using 3DS MAX and MAYA. If this is so, would I need a qualification in this specific area? I can self teach myself, as I did with the other software I use.

Thanks for the help so far guys

Edit: Reading the information you provided, it seems it answered the above question. Thank you for directing me to that information, I hardly ever go into those boards, so i would never have found it
    Last edited by Fl3wk; October 21st, 2006 at 06:37 AM.