Sat, Oct 28th 2006

no guidelines this time

WEED TORTURE WIN
    www.hyver.com -()- sketch thread

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome! I want to do this one. I will do this one. Kick me if I don't.

Edit: My idea is to have a huge, dormant, moss covered creature snoring on the forest floor. It'll be well-hidden, with plants and lichens growing all over it, so it'll still be an environment pic, not a creature pic.

Last edited by Moai; October 20th, 2006 at 11:43 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hahaha, thats funny because i just started doing a jungle scene for LAST weeks eow for a happy town. i guess ill just save it for this weeks competition.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh I'm the first one. I just couldn't resist this topic!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, beautiful. I love the ground... I hope you can shape up the canopy to look as dynamic. Wonderful idea too--I really like the feel of this environment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome, Gizmodus. I agree with Johnyhorse about he canopy, though. It needs to look more tree-y. More individual leaves and less soft color masses would do the trick, I think.

Here's a coupla thumbs I did today.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Demon Jungles

My contri , in the jungle a new predator anounces...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright Cesar! It's dramatic. If you have time I think you should clean up the skeleton in the front.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Johnnyhorse and Moai!! Your right with the canopy but I don't know how to fix it. A scattered brush doesn't bring the desired effect. Do you have any ideas? (except handpainting all the leaves )

Moai: Cool idea! The composition is in both thumbs good but I prefer the first one. Maybe because it's more dramatic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gizmodus - I don't even think leaves are necessary to paint in the canopy (or maybe a 'hint' of leaves would be nice..) but instead I think the canopy needs to be very dark--much darker than it is now since I think of this as a night scene. You also should probably chisle out the tree's a little more.
    Also, im going to extend the crit to say that the weight of the image is starting to shift a lot to the left, and maybe some cropping is in order. I might do a paintover if I have time, if it's alright with you, cause I really like the piece.

Cesar
    - Looks like a good start. It's got a very photorealistic lighting going on, save for the red--as for the red, I would tone it down a bit, or atleast explain it later!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Johnnyhorse: yeah, I agree with you in all points. And of course, I'd appreciate a paintover a lot!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gizmodus- Thanks. After sleeping on it and hearing your words, I think I'll go with the first thumb. As for your piece, I agree with Johnyhorse on all points. The canopy should be darker, and leaves should be hinted at. Here's what I'd do. You said the scatter brush wasn't working, but I'd try it again, this time with a small non-round brush with scatter and maximum and count at minimum. Make it about the same color as the light source, since leaves are usually fairly reflective, and just put some light dabs of it here and there, so you get the texture of a leafy canopy while keeping it still very dark. Also, as for the pic being kinda heavy on the left side, perhaps you could balance it with a torch or a lantern on the right side. Just a suggestion. If you don't want to do the scatter brush, you could always put a few small points of light in individually.
    cesaraguilar- I have four suggestions. One, clarify the picture, as it's rather vague and messy at the moment. Two, move your focal point, the big reg light, over a bit so it's not completely centered in the composition. Three, change the light's color. I'm sure you have a reason for having a brilliantly colored light in your jungle, but there are more interesting colors than plain, simple red. Perhaps add some orange or magenta hues. And finally, the text in the lower left in fading into the background in places, particularly the "8," the "C," and the "S." You've got a nice start and great lighting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmodus
    Johnnyhorse: yeah, I agree with you in all points. And of course, I'd appreciate a paintover a lot!
    Holy crap, almost forgot I offered one Good thing I check out the EOW pretty regularly, hehe. Okay, so i'll compare the two so it's easier to see the differences:

Okay, I hope the paintover more or less speaks for itself. Most importantly, however, I really want to mention just how much fun it was painting over this piece, seriously . As a result I probably went overboard.
    I took some suggestions from other people and tried to incorporate torches (terribly!), and I got to try out my new custom brush for the foliage. Overall, there are a lot of lighting issues with consistancy (although the lighting is beautiful, regardless), and I am still not even sure what time of day it is.
    Finally, I made a few changes to the building's perspective. Most notably, I lowered the left side, and aligned the right building with the building closest to us (by shifting the roof more down). Okay. Done.

**Looking at it again, I feel maybe the entire composition should be lowered a little, cropping out the plain bottom, and opening up the canopy more, since the focus is a little awkwardly high

[EDIT] I looked through a lot of your work, and I've noticed you use a lot of nice sharp lines, especially diagonal ones (for foliage and stuff), which would work great here. The style I used on the paintover definitely doesn't match up to your style, but I hope you can just get the impression of the volume I'm trying to convey--you can make this look more organic!

Last edited by Johnnyhorse; October 24th, 2006 at 03:20 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, great overpaint, Johnny!! I think the composition is much better now with the part atteched on the left side. I like the 16:9 format more anyway
    The trees are well done too, with small effort a big improvement. Do you make your brushes exclusively for such things or take them from a library? Oh, and yeah, it's supposed to be a party in the jungle so it should be night.
    Thanks again!! It opened my eyes.

Moai, thanks also for the feedback! Can't wait to see your finished pic...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gizmodus - to be completely honest with you, I think I just used one custom brush that I made (just a brush I made for general gungy-ness and foliage, it's pretty formless), and the only other one I used was a small round one for lines Too many people just download the same brushes--it's much more beneficial to just make your own (and easy).
    Anyway, glad you liked the overpaint. I guess since it's night you could just make that middle section in the canopy dark and starry instead of twighlight.

Moai - I also prefer the first thumbnail. It's got a lot of potential for interesting perspective, dynamics, lighting and neato plants -- now you just have to make them!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Gizmodus and Johnyhorse! Here's my more detailed line drawing. I'm really optimistic about this one and I'm going to try my hardest.

Update6: Thanks for all the help, everyone! I took your advice and left it in the original orientation, with the Terrasuchus facing left.

Description: Golden sunlight filtered through the canopy of a southern Pangaean jungle. An Eospinus, a small pelycosaur, scampered over mossy tree routes in pursuit of tasy gliding lizards. Just as it was about to leap and snatch its prey out of the air, the Eopspinus paused. It lacked true ears and could not hear the deep rumbling sound, but it could feel the vibration of the ground beneath its feet. Uneasily, the Eospinus tasted the air with its forked tongue, and registered the unmistakable scent of the most powerful predator of its age, the Terrasuchus. The Eospinus scurried away. The Terrasuchus slept on, its slumber uninterrupted, the deep rumbles of its snores striking fear into the heart of any creature to hear them. The Terrasuchus had eaten well. It had slept, digesting, for six weeks, until moss and lichen took root in its hide and it became part of the landscape. But now, in the mysterious depths of its primitive mind, there was a familiar stirring. The Terrasuchus was hungry again, and would soon feed.

Last edited by Moai; November 1st, 2006 at 05:41 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Moai that looks sick. I can't wait to see how that turns out.
    This is my first posting to this sight. I'm hoping that getting into the weekly projects here will help me become a better artist. i've been working on this EOW for a few days now. I will try to post it tonight or tomorrow in hopes of getting some suggestions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome to CA, snowboarderx82! Thanks for the compliment. These weekly activities are great for building your skills. They motivate you to do at least one finished piece a week, and you get great critiques and advice. Don't be afraid to post your works in progress, either. I look forward to seeing your work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Moai - Excellent sketch! I would be optimistic about it as well. I love the lizard and the insect/birds near the top. The moss on the left is great too. I can already see the Wadey influence in the line quality

Snoboarderx82 - By far, the Weekly activities have pushed me to improve my talents and abilities more than anything else (even though I've only done about 3 or 4, each piece improves dramatically)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I hope this is linked properly

It's still a work in progress, but it's coming along. I'm really new at this and am kinda learning as I go. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks guys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Johnnyhorse- Thanks!
    snowboarderx82- It's looking good so far. I did an uber-quick paintover (more like a write-over) for my critique to more easily explain my points. I hope you can read my chicken-scratch.

Also, it would be nice if your final was bigger. Good luck, and have fun!

Edit: Updated mine. There's still a loooong way to go.

Last edited by Moai; October 25th, 2006 at 07:01 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome,
    Thanks Moai

I’ll try to work on some of those changes later tonight. Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I heard a low rumbling noise and looked to my left. What I saw made me freeze stock still and my heart began pounding like a jackhammer!

Last edited by arttorney; October 28th, 2006 at 07:31 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Arttorney - getting the hang of the tablet now, I see.
    I certainly hope you aren't already done! I can see through the dirt.. and dirt isn't just one color of brown. Also.. though you did a good job of filling in the foliage volume in the background, the foreground lacks any large volume, and is instead replaced by thin and oversaturated green leaves: Try to integrate those brushes behind the foremost trees into the foreground. Get some grass in there too!

Also, are you making your own brushes (i know the leaf brushes are PS)? Since you are an avid painter, you should try converting some paint dabbs into brushes, it's great fun! just greyscale the paint and then increase contrast like crazy---- edit - define brush and voila!

[EDIT]Moai - Updates looking good! try to get some warms in there as well

With all the commenting I'm doing, you'd think I'd have a piece as well... unfortunately i'm just procrastinating doing some art projects that are due much too soon... sorry guys! Maybe I can just do several more paintovers and call it a session, heh

Last edited by Johnnyhorse; October 26th, 2006 at 01:32 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    snowboarderx82- No problem. It only took about five minutes to write my chicken scratch around the borders. Glad I could help!
    arttorney- Cool piece! I love the strange trees and the leaves. Some crits: tone down the tiger's orange a bit and add some shadows. The tiger also seems to be sinking into the ground. As for the ground itself, I'd fill in those white spaces and change the hue to a cooler, less saturated brown. Composition-wise, the four main trees are all the same distance from the bottom of the picture. Maybe change that up, and add something to bring our eyes over to the right side of the picture so the attention isn't completely commanded by the tiger. There's a lovely, poetic feel to the picture.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Johnnyhorse- Except for the hard rounds on the tiger and that photoshop leaf brush, the whole piece is by custom brushes. I used fern tops, Ponderosa Pine bristles, and a section of travertine from the wall of Tonto Natural Bridge. To the right of the center tree, high and in dark green, you can see about four repeating chunks of the fern top brush. Just below that you can see two repeats of the travertine brush in a blue green gray.

Moai- I'll see what I can do. That one tree toward the center was not my favorite anyway. I'll try to take it over to the right third line, make it bigger (as in closer) and put some detail on the trunk. I'll muddle my way through on the tiger somehow. People and animals are my bane. I can't see what I would change about yours Moai. More of the same. I would just deepen up the shadows on some roots for example to make three dimensional, but I think you are in the process of building up all that stuff and know what you are doing. Maybe if you need an accent somewhere, you can toss in some shelf fungus on the fallen tree and it would make people smell jungle as well as just see it. I'm always trying to give people a bad case of synaesthesia.

Last edited by arttorney; October 26th, 2006 at 09:20 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome work Moai! I like your style. Its shaping up quite nicely.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Johnnyhorse- Yeah, it definitely needs some warms. I'm workin on it.
    arttorney- I thought of putting in some fungus, but I didn't like the way it looked. With your suggestion I think I'll try it out again.
    tumbra- Thanks! I'm glad you're liking the style I'm experimenting with.

Well, back to woik!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i was mostly doing DSG but we ran out of daily topics so i decided to play with this one... im still learning to paint digitally, so crits are definitely welcome.

mousepainting in PS, prolly about 4 hours.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Updated mine once again. I think my next action will be to go through and add some deeper shadows.
    Sarillion- Nice! There's a good sense of light in this piece. Maybe even push the light a little bit more and make it brighter and warmer. I totally feel for you with the mouse painting. I did it for a few months before buying my Wacom. You can still get decent results with a mouse, but it takes a looong time. Good luck, and if you're serious about this digital art stuff, get a tablet!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.