EOW #38 Rumble in the Jungle - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: EOW #38 Rumble in the Jungle

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just might be done with mine. I flipped the image, but I'm not sure if I want to keep it like that, so any feedback would be appreciated.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Moai - I have to keep this short, so I'll just mention what I think is the most important for the picture at this moment: Everything in the picture has a sort of watercolor feel to it, which isn't bad, but in turn it gives everything the exact same texture. Light doesn't react with everything the same way (obviously, you know that)... there are glossy things (like ferns and some reptile skin) and very soft things, like the moss.
    One more thing -- the background looks like you just left the canvas blank.
    It's wonderful, one of your best (though I haven't seen a lot of your work) I think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Moai, thanks for the crit. i may work on this a bit more before deadline. idk right now tho b/c i'm pulling a 10hr tomorrow and the deadline is saturday.

i think your comp is the strongest piece in the thread right now. the time you poured into it definitely shows, and i absolutely love the undersketches you made. very inspiring. i really enjoy your use of color as well. my composition took a page from some of Bill Watterson's comic panoramas early on in the process and ended up with a very narrow range of colors... i guess im a bit timid about that kind of thing too tho.

i agree with JH about the background a bit. the background stuff on one side of the fallen log doesn't match the background stuff on the other side and this bothers me a bit because the side which your composition tells my eye should be closer is actually less defined and therefore farther back as far as atmospheric perspective is concerned. not a huge deal, just something that caught my eye. more than perspective tho, id like to see continuity.

also, i'd love to see you push your darks a little bit more. i had an amazing drawing professor freshman year. he was extremely hard on us (he made students cry in critiques) but he was never wrong, and we all improved drastically because of it. one of the things he always stressed was pushing contrast, especially darks.

yeah, i'd love to get a wacom, but working my way through school leaves little extra cash for stuff like that so right now its just on the wish list ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice composition, Maoi

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Here's mine...

EOW #38 Rumble in the Jungle

For miles around, the rumbling of the prelaunch cylce of the IBM could be heard. The area is scarce of wildlife since testing of the facility is constant.

Last edited by Migsta; October 29th, 2006 at 02:43 AM.
    - My Artwork! -
    www.miguellleras.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last minute thing. Thought I'd have a go before the deadline.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Johnnyhorse- I softened up the highlights on the moss and the tree, and introduced some more color into the background. Not too much, though. I don't want the picture to look too yellowy. Thanks so much for the feedback.
    sarillion- I'm glad to meet someone else who appreciates Bill Watterson as an artist! His landscapes are wonderful, very simple and natural. Following your advice, I toned down the details on the far side of the log and deepened the shadows a bit. Thanks for the crit.
    cognition.sb- Thanks!
    Migsta- For some reason, this feels out of perspective to me. The far base, especially, seems too flat. Also, maybe add some cast shadows from those towers and ramps and whatnot. The missile (or something...) coming out of the nearest structure is very well done, and the texture of the forest is very nice.
    Kian- Awesome piece. Great lighting and energy. I like the angular style.
    Arttorney- Nice update. I still feel that there should be something attracting our attention to the right to balance the composition. Perhaps a bird or something.

Thanks for the crits, everybody. I hope you all get a chance to finish your unfinished pieces!

PS- I'd really appreciate some feedback about whether my pic should be flipped or not.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Moai: i like the comp in its original orientation (with the sleeping dinosaur facing left) best. i think its looking really sharp.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your help Moai. I think the version of yours with the log starting at the upper left will be intuitively better for many people because the shapes of the small lizard, then the log, then the large lizard tend to make an S curve. The other way the S is backwards and so it is not the way the western subconscious would be used to seeing it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello everyone , here is my rumble in the jungle.
    The subject is pretty simple and clichee, an american helicopter base in the middle of jungle being destroyed by russian airfroce.
    (sorry for the extremely short description but have to be really fast with that one , dedlines are killing me ... )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sarillion and Arrtorney- Thanks for the feedback, guys!
    [DAN]- Cool piece. Great sense of lighting and space.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    attorney I think the sign is kind of flat. It doesn't look like it is really there. Maybe have it wrap around a little and give it a hint of green bounce from the environment. Nice pic though.

Kian Sweetness going on there. But not a whole lot of jungle.

Migsta that is a nice areal view of a jungle! It is looking very matte though - I'd add some specular highlights to the river.

Dan that is some serious craziness! Powerful image!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks again for the help Moai. I stayed home from work yesterday and made some of those changes

So I guess this was my first piece on conceptart.org and I had a blast working on it. You can expect to see more stuff from me in the future.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Dragon. Welcome newcomers.

We're about at the end of a much improved round. Best of luck to all in the poll.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    attorney - much better. But it still seems very static, in part because it is completetly parallel ("it" being the paper) to the image borders. Slanting the paper slightly would do the trick.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I could see that. Basically this is my second photoshop effort ever, and so I barely figured out how to get text in there that was not my own suck-ass handwriting. I did figure it out, partly because I didn't want to screw up the drawing trying to make a bird with my rather questionable animal rendering skills. Unfortunately, now I don't know what I can do to fiddle about with that "rectangular marquee" thingy I used, and make it into some kind of parallelogram or trapezoid. The help topics don't seem to cover that thing at all. My guess is that I would need to make another layer and just draw jungle orthoganally over select edges of the thing. I'm too drunk right now for that, frankly (for global folks, it's after 7 P.M. on Saturday night where I am).

My original conception was to put a big old water buffalo kind of up close and personal with its head and horns somewhere in the neighborhood of the lower right intersection of the thirds. I didn't do that because I didn't want to press my luck once I managed to make a reasonably passable tiger. I had wanted to move on and make an IDW hovercraft by today. In retrospect I guess I might as well have made the water buffalo.

This concludes this week's episode of "Self-critical Catharsis." We now return you to your regularly scheduled Environment of the Week episode: "Rumble in the Jungle."

For [Dan]: Son of a bitch! Er, I mean, it's sort of a beach!! We leveled the place!

Last edited by arttorney; October 28th, 2006 at 10:24 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    nice work kian and dan!!! woah.. sweet
    here's my scribble..
    it's dedicated to my friend, (you know who you are!...oooppp) who chickened out...*cough*

"You sissy! I know you are hiding in here!"
    "........"
    "You can't hide from me!! you emo bastid!"
    "........"

Last edited by bumskee; October 29th, 2006 at 01:18 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kian, bumskee - great atmosphere!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, a lot of last day great entries... still waiting on Gizmodus' update.
    Arttorney - Great improvement over the piece. Looks like you are getting quite comfortable with Photoshop already. As for the marquee... once you have a rectangle selected, right click on the image with the tool and then select "Tranform Selection," from there you should be good to go
    Moai - excellent work! I'm still very bothered by the sky/light in the canopy and background, but I understand that at this point it's dangerous (i can imagine that the method that you used is maybe too linear for experimentation!)
    Snowboarder - Looks much better. The volcano still needs some work, since it is the focus IMO--maybe some smoke and warmer (less brown) colors. Also, the trees are very strange that frame the volcano... they really shouldn't be straight lines, it's quite confusing actually!
    Dan - Excellent--now that's some energy! Those people blasted back by the helicopter explosion stand out way too much though.
    Bumskee - What a lush, surreal jungle; it truly is eye candy. I'm a little concerned with the relation to the topic though--it's not quite a rumble if one person is just hiding! I'm also not sure what his right hand's doing(?)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    uhm migsta's says ChOW 38?

S S G 2 9
    -Fishspawn-Blue Severin- rayk-

You're an artist, not a meat camera. -Elwell

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Severin
    uhm migsta's says ChOW 38?
    Hah, must be a ChOW template he used, since they encourage such borders.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some cool new pics! And I missed the deadline!!

Johnnyhorse: I'm sorry that I didn't update my entry. I'm just too busy these days. Hope to post more again when I got used to university...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gizmodus- The round isn't over until the voting thread is up. But, since that could happen at any time, I can understand if you're a bit leery about putting more work into you piece and then finding out it's too late.

Johnnyhorse- I added some more colors into the background. It's prolly to subtle to be noticed, though. I'll remember to put mork color into the background in my next piece.

Hyver- Not to be rude or impatient or anything, but are we going to vote soon?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi all!
    another new one here!

I'm trying to increase my painting skills so after a long time lurking I've decided to try and be more active in the EoW and Daily sketch,
    this is my environment, I hope you guys write me some critique and feedback!!

bumskee I really like the lighting and atmosphere on yours!

edit: a bit late apparently.. oh well!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    About a week late. Polish this up a bit with Pitfall Harry, Rhonda, and/or Quickclaw the cowardly pet mountain lion; then post it in this weeks Pitfall challenge. Hopefully Hyver will have a good sense of humor about the "work created for this activity" rule (but that's why I suggested updating with Pitfall Harry).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Humor? HUMOR?
    sure dude, go ahead

WEED TORTURE WIN
    www.hyver.com -()- sketch thread

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.