Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,218 Times in 254 Posts

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    It's outrageous, really. I heard about this last week and I've been pissed off about it since. I hope people get riled up, it's worth it.

Thanks
    It's outrageous, really. I heard about this last week and I've been pissed off about it since. I hope people get riled up, it's worth it
    I agree, but they won't

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    well,i'm waiting for reactions now.
    Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    I think no one won't because there is a lot of confusion, and arguing going on. People telling others their right your wrong, no one seems to listen to anyone. There are many sides being taken within our country, and a lot of shit is becoming blown out of proportion. It's no longer reasoning, it's just proving whether next person is right or wrong just to boost their pride.

To sum it up, the world seems to be similar to internet forums when it comes to debates, and arguments.

This may be the information age, but people get so much information and bad facts, and fancy bullshiting it's hard to trust anyone anymore. We have information, but it's hard for most people to know what to do with it all. it hinders us. Plus it doesnt seem like people question things anymore, and it can be hard to do so. Who has time to question everything that is thrown in your face? And, the worst thing to me at the moment, is it seems like no one likes to read anymore.

The information age. The age where cynicism, and pessimism (sp?) is the in thing. But I have hope for us all . The average person may think the average person is dumb but hopefully we get over that.
    Last edited by 2b BOY; October 19th, 2006 at 07:11 PM.

Thanks
    Not knowing what information to believe is not new.

Thanks
    I read about this last week fron another site and quickly told some friends as well as people from the office. My friends were as worried as I was upon reading it, however, the people I work with didn't really seem to care. Infact, they insisted that this was really nothing....AND...that this is what should happen, that the president is essentially doing the right thing and that non-citizens who try to destroy America shouldn't have our rights and shouldn't be protected in any way. Some of them also stated that what military doesn't really have any jurisdiction over citizens so we shouldn't have anything to worry about. I tried to explain my position; that's it's a pretty slipery slope were headed in. If they can declare anyone "enemy combatants", then essentially any citizens, who goes against the goverment, could lose their rights overnight.

I really became dismayed at their reaction though. I'm not fully knowledgable about Habeas Corpus, or what the president's doing...but deep down...this just seems so wrong on so many levels. Perhaps it's an overreaction.
    My Sketchbook :: Phantasmagoria
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Illustration Portfolio :: jasonsnair.carbonmade.com
    Design Portfolio :: jasonsnairdesign.carbonmade.com
    My Blog -- Feed Me Toast!

Thanks
    Sooo, basically you are now 1950 1970-ish South America in terms of law.

Habeus Corpus basically means: "show me the body", is not a hard term to undestand because is basic....very very basic. Is pointing out at a guy and say " hey!, this is the guy...And I beleive he did this..What do you think?".

Is potentially dangerous and not seen as a big deal now because of it´s low human impact and most people just don´t care because they think this law will not affect them.

Edit: But everything remains to be seen.
    Last edited by Shamagim; October 19th, 2006 at 08:35 PM.

Thanks
    Makes me want to beat down the White House door. At this point now, I don't think, had it been another republican administration in the White House, we would be where we are now. I think these dirty mofo's would have screwed up a management position at the Waffle House and stopped selling waffles.

Thanks for posting that, it got me fired up. Makes me want to write a letter to my reps and ask them what the fuck they are doing with my rights.

The Day-glo Pterodactyls
    Dierat ~ Leo Ki ~ Volchiha ~ Zweit ~ wilkerson

CharlieHarper.net

Thanks
    where are you Captain America

Thanks
    Though is not really my problem or my position to say anything about this, here you have reliable information about it:

The Bill in question:

http://www.law.georgetown.edu/facult...ommissions.pdf

After reading this, your opinion is yours to have, whatever that opinion might be. ( at least it will be entirely yours.)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kresh
    where are you Captain America
    indeed.
    My work: [link]

Thanks
    You gotta hand it to Dubya for singlehandedly destroying a law that was in place since 1300's. The law that was the foundation of democracy of the Western World.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habeas_corpus

... but then again Dubya is THE DEVIL!
    Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die.

Thanks
    The goddamn masses don't know about habeus corpus and they don't give a shit. That's why the american people DESERVE to be put under a goddamn dictatorship.

Why the hell aren't these idiots ousted yet?Why do they still have the power to pass legislation such as this?

People are too fucking content with their petty lives to give a crap about it.

I love how priorities in this country are set, we'd rather impeach a president because he got a blowjob, but a group of swines like these are allowed to stay in power and furthermore consolidate their power with such actions.
    DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    This feels like the setup for V for Vendetta, or one of those cyber punk movies, where the government has just too much power.
    Keeping track of this government you can tell this was coming a loong time ago. This president lost his mind a long time ago; it's a government that does things for their own benefit, rather than the country’s actual good. For example, a while ago all the intelligence agencies of this country summed up a report saying that the "war on terror" to keep us safe has only made us more of a prime target for terrorism. Or how they blamed Bill Clinton for not stopping 911 from happening, while this goverment was informed at least 5 months in advanced of terrorist plots!

I for one hate our president and it's republican regime. A bunch of bastards that lie to your face even if you have the hard cold facts in your hand. (oh yeah, this stuff pisses me off beyond all belief!)
    This law just gives this madman the ability to put anyone he wants in jail without any reasoning! ..... I wonder if he'll abuse of this power, and start putting liberals in jail.

Oh yeah, and I for one adore Keith Olbermann, and Bill Maher! They are my heroes!
    ¡Que Viva El Concept Art Atelier!

[Website]

[Blog]

[ Sketchbook! (old) ]

Thanks
    I'm a strong supporter of not attributing to malice that which can be explained by stupidity, but can anyone really be this stupid?

0kelvin
    www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    They just proved it, time and time again.

If we are going to blow up in a nuclear inferno, thank these idiots.
    DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    im glad to see more people finally 'waking up' from the lie that has been 'America' for over a century. this place... no no no.. the people running the government running the country have become more and more corrupt since it became a communist government back in the mid 1800's.

when this country and government were formed.. the idea was that the PEOPLE are the government.. and that all would decide and agree to whats fair and equal for all citizens and non-citizens to live a life of peace and happiness as a united nation of 'man'. today.. 'the government' has become the force that controls and must not be upset because it can make life a living hell.. or just destory it completely. and its stranglehold on most people's minds and the fear it instills in their hearts is the best weapon it could have.

this is not the first time a country and its people have been in this situation.. its history repeating. and through-out history, in all nations, what happens is always one of two things.. but end up at the same place:

1. revolution to take back what is rightfully the citizens' true freedom of life and end the tyranny
    2. submission and opression.. eventually leading to despair or abandonment.. and eventually extinction.

both eventually end up in violence and death.. and its usually a matter of time. but then its a question of whether you will fight or not when that time arrives.

america was built from revolution.. from the basis of escape from a man, a force, that wanted control over the lives of many. so why are the people letting this happen again?? He who has all the guns makes all the rules, is it??

this will probably spark a very long debate over all sorts of things.. but its something that should be discussed to educate those who do not know.. - JAG
    it's only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything..

Thanks
    What I "love" about this is that they do this in the name to keep us safe from terrorists, so we can keep our "freedom loving" lifestyle, all while using fear tactics to mold the masses, and taking away our basic rights......hmm, who's the real terrorist hereee??

Feed me some more bull crap, it's especially delicious today!
    ¡Que Viva El Concept Art Atelier!

[Website]

[Blog]

[ Sketchbook! (old) ]

Thanks
    Heads need to roll for fuck's sake.

Red October, yes please.
    DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by evildisco
    I love how priorities in this country are set, we'd rather impeach a president because he got a blowjob, but a group of swines like these are allowed to stay in power and furthermore consolidate their power with such actions.

brilliant.

Thanks
    It’s not like it’s something new. It’s just that now they have the permission to do so.

-_-
    ▄▀▄▀▄▀■ - GORILLA ARTFARE - ■▀▄▀▄▀▄

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaknafain
    It’s not like it’s something new. It’s just that now they have the permission to do so.

-_-
    That makes a HUGE difference, now you nobody can save you.

I predicted this would happen just a couple days before it came on the news, I was fairly entertained at first. Now...

Thanks
    Aren't your elections soon anyway? im rooting for you guys, good luck with the whole not becoming a police state thing, really. Slippery slope and all that.
    Last edited by lysander; October 20th, 2006 at 07:12 AM.
    blah blah blah blah

Thanks
    well I'm glad to see other posting similar feelings to mine. The sad things is, is that I haven't even seen this talked about on the news. Both times I've read about this came from an internet website or forum. Olberman seems to be the only one talking about it, while other news station quibble over fences and walls and why they should be built along every border (cuz, gee that worked so well in the past) or why Anna Nicole Smith's son died.

Although, watching the clips of Bush actually signing the bill and then smiling and clapping was disgusting. (I was almost waiting to see him twirl his "evil" mustache and then snicker) I mean, do they know what they're doing? They have to. These men (and women) are disgusting.

And thanks for that link Shamagin...i'm headed there now.
    My Sketchbook :: Phantasmagoria
    Illustration Portfolio :: jasonsnair.carbonmade.com
    Design Portfolio :: jasonsnairdesign.carbonmade.com
    My Blog -- Feed Me Toast!

Thanks
    I don't know if any of you guys have checked it out, but wander on over the the Project for a New American Century website and give a read to their mission statement about "American leadership being good for America, and the World" These guys arn't just some group of crazies bent on world domination, take a look at how many former PNAC members were appointed to positions in the Bush Administration. These guys are driving our current foreign and domestic policies.

So my question for people who still refuse to believe the government has been hijacked by ultra-wealthy corporate and individual interests, and has in its heart only good will for you and your family, is...Why wouldn't the extremely wealthy (individuals and even more so corporate) take steps to maintain and expand their wealth and power? Isn't that the spirit of capitalism? Don't even bring up conspiracy theories, at this point that is just a sad attempt to discredit through association...there doesn't need to be a conspiracy. It's just money making sure there is more money coming in a world where national borders are becoming less and less meaningful. Don't get me wrong, I think real democracy is probably the best form of large scale government, but what we're dealing with today is not that at all. It is being packaged and sold to us and the rest of the world as morally upright, freedom loving democracy, when in reality it's morally bankrupt, freedom at a price, "corporatocracy" being fueled with a new version of Manifest Destiny.
    Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

The Sketchbook Lives AGAIN!

Darkergreen, My environment, and concept art portfolio

"Its all Fish-Men in the end anyway" -Sara, my wife

"Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure."
    Bertrand Russell

Thanks
    kind of shocking: abe did it back in the day. but he was in the civil war. but still...

Thanks
    lets analyze the terms used in describing this country and its government. for starters.. its not a democracy.. it has never really been. it was a republic, where the wealthy make the rules. and it then became and still is a communist government.. the minute the first 'ammendment' and 'federal regulation' was enacted to control our businesses, systems pf transport, communications, and even our food & health. do a little reading on the Marxist Communist manifesto and you'll notice the only words replaced therein and used as american policy are the words 'America' and 'democracy'.

and 'freedom'.. please cut the shite. who are you kidding?? what freedom do we have, really? at any time, everything you own can be taken away and everything you believe can be used to incriminate you. oh you dont wanna be incriminated?? so you dont believe our system of control is right for you?? then you are a potential enemy threat and can therefore be 'eliminated'.

what was the first ammendment to the constitutuion??.. the freedom of speech. the ability to say what you want about anyone or anything you want any time or place you want. is that really so?? today at least?? ever heard of this thing called censorship? and if you talk bad about the president, the government, or the policies of this country.. you're immediately classified as a 'non-patriot' and you're 'just as bad as the terrorists'.

its gone as far as labelling citizens who exercise their right to speech are 'enemy combatants'.. communists governments usually just shot people for that instead.. but we're not far off.

whats worse is that the citizens of this country LET this happen to them. they're either too afraid to do anything about it or are too ignorant to know its happening to them. therefore nothing is done and the problem grows larger.. the ones who are aware and speak out are somehow working for the enemy.

even after bush is out of office.. the pile of shit he leaves behind will be stinking up the place for years to come. i only pray we have a man/woman of morals to try to clean up the mess.. but im not holding my breath for it. - JAG

Thanks
    I find it rather sad that once upon a time, America went to war over stuff like this. As I understand it, your war of independance from britain was fought for rights such as habeus corpus, and now most people are too pacified to even care that some of thier fundamental rights are starting to be undermined. It's not the age of information, its the age of entertainment. Entertainment that distracts us from any real issues and allows things like this to happen unchallanged.

Thanks
    indeed.. most people in america would rather be netertained than free. we complain about having to pay high prices and fees for our medical care.. but we gladly pay a guy millions of dollars to run around and play with a ball and with their friends. and we pay money to watch them do this as well.. - JAG

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast