Thanks

I saw a beautiful rainbow.

I pulled into work this morning before the sun was even in the sky.

As I shut my car door and turned around, my breath was taken away by the sight of a full rainbow in the skies over Atlanta. It went from one horizon to the next; a perfect completion like I don't think has ever been my pleasure to witness.

I just had to run in and tell a few other early morning co-workers to come out and see. They rushed out with me and we stood there for a moment as the scene faded away before our eyes with the lightening of the morning sky.

All in all, it made getting up and driving through traffic this morning seem like it was completely worthwhile.

(Seen any miraculous sights lately? Share them!)

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    this is a rainbow we watched from our office weeks ago. no photoshop touch ups.

Thanks
    Hey, Fahrija, welcome!

Such a nice story and the picture.. Special moments like that hold the true meaning of that word.

Thanks
    Great picture, Fahrija!

Yah, it was a lot like that - the one you saw looks even brighter, and with a double going on.

Fresh air. Breathe. Let's all step away from the compy now, OK???

Thanks
    I saw a moondog a few weeks ago. This big halo of light was around the moon, at first I thought the light was refracting weirdly through my glasses but then I took em off and the halo was still there in the sky. I didn't have my camera, but for those who don't know what a moondog looks like, check this pic. Apparently they're kind of rare (something about light going through ice crystals in the atmosphere), so I feel special :p
    Finn | my sketchbook thread | tumblr | Bēhance | gorillaartfare | whiskey, gin, and pints of beer

Thanks
    I spent a weekend at a burn a few weeks ago. It was raining all night the night we got there, and was pouring all day on Friday up until about 6 PM. All of us were held up in our tents or standing around fires under a pavilion to keep warm. Then all of a sudden there was a break in the clouds, it stopped raining, and a rainbow came out stretching the full length.. the whole mood in the place changed almost instantly all at once, people were clapping and cheering. It was a pretty awesome sight.
    Cave House Studios - creative animation and video
    What the Sketchbook

Thanks
    What a pretty thread!

Iolarnula, I'm always getting halos in my glasses. Heheh, I would've totally thought the same thing.

Haven't seen anything cool in a while. But, we do (unfortunately) get a lot of fires in this desert area with lots of dried weeds. The smoke gives the sunsets an awesome color.
    Last edited by magicgoo; October 20th, 2006 at 03:56 PM.

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    well,if we're talking beautiful sunsets,sweden is almost unbeatable.
    i'll see if i can dig up some pics.
    Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    i love photographing sunsets. have done so almost every night for the last 2 years. one of the most amazing sights ive seen was a full rain-ring.. the rainbow went full circle, and it was stright up in the sky, not on the horizon. i was on the freeway driving just after a storm. everyone pulled off to the side and got out of their cars to look. and i didnt have my damn camera.. but i'll never forget that. its amazing.. - JAG
    it's only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything..

Thanks
    when I went to switzerland, standing on the highest peak of the Swiss Alps in St. Moritz.... damn...

Thanks
    I've seen a couple complete rainbows (whole circles). Mostly they are very vague, but there was one particular one over the Central Atlantic that was breathtaking.

Of course, I had no camera.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    I've seen a couple complete rainbows (whole circles). Mostly they are very vague, but there was one particular one over the Central Atlantic that was breathtaking.

Of course, I had no camera.
    I have seen one on my trip in Cambodia. I never seen or heard about such a thing, so it was quite a suprise to see a halo around the sun.
    And i had a camera but ofcourse i made a crappy photo..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Beershite
    I have seen one on my trip in Cambodia. I never seen or heard about such a thing, so it was quite a suprise to see a halo around the sun.
    And i had a camera but ofcourse i made a crappy photo..

I anyone else thinking

Thanks
    I think the full circle rainbows are called corona's....i've seen a double corona when i was in st. thomas down in the virgin islands...is it something you see more commonly when you are closer to the equator?

Thanks
    ok, maybe its not a rainbow, but last breathtaking site for me was a few months ago.I was just sitting in front of the pc smokin a ΦΦΦ, listening to Pink Floyd's "Time", i look out of the window and in front of my balcony i see a huge storm, far far away.I stood there while i watched silent lightnings that seemed to go with the music.Wonderful sight.

ciao

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iolarnula
    I saw a moondog a few weeks ago. This big halo of light was around the moon, at first I thought the light was refracting weirdly through my glasses but then I took em off and the halo was still there in the sky. I didn't have my camera, but for those who don't know what a moondog looks like, check this pic. Apparently they're kind of rare (something about light going through ice crystals in the atmosphere), so I feel special :p
    yeah ive seen those a few times, pretty spectacular.

Thanks
    Ah, they are called icebows. Found it on wiki. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_%2..._phenomenon%29