Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 45
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK, Warwickshire
    Posts
    1,693
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 154 Times in 81 Posts

    Shock to the system

    Ok this is a pretty strange topic and scary. You ever get it when you think about life and it really intimidates you. When ever I think about the subject I always wonder whether id rather live for eternity or just stop..Meh I think Im looking into this too much, I should just live while I still can
    Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form.


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK, Warwickshire
    Posts
    1,693
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 154 Times in 81 Posts
    Sorry can someone delete this, Its a pointless topic really.
    Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Wiesbaden, Germany
    Posts
    2,169
    Thanks
    613
    Thanked 551 Times in 183 Posts
    Nah, I'd like to discuss this. So... what's your point?

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    3,535
    Thanks
    236
    Thanked 308 Times in 195 Posts
    That's why I have a religion. (not to turn this into anything religious or anything, just saying.)

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    On Roflcopter #22
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'd be more than happy to live forever, I think. But...since that's not likely, I'll just try and live a long time...
    Thing is, I don't think there is any real point to life. Just that because it could happen, it did. But so what? There's plenty to keep yourself occupied with. I think the Greek had the right approach. Excell at what you like and be remembered after you die. That's almost like living for eternity. 8)

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK, Warwickshire
    Posts
    1,693
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 154 Times in 81 Posts
    I dont know why I brought this up really. Because even if you live forever as a soul or whatever your not going to remember whats coming next..If things just stopped that would suck.
    Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Santiago
    Posts
    1,795
    Thanks
    196
    Thanked 134 Times in 70 Posts
    ..... you guys want to live forever??

    Think about it, why would you do anything at all if you don´t "need" to do anything...

    ...If there is no conclusion,then the problem becomes irrelevant.

    Things just don´t stop if a conclusion becomes a factor to another problem so it can reach another conclusion and so on.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    On Roflcopter #22
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Man
    I dont know why I brought this up really. Because even if you live forever as a soul or whatever your not going to remember whats coming next..If things just stopped that would suck.
    You're worried that life just stops? Well...that just depends on what you decide to believe. I personally believe that once you're dead, that's all, there's nothing. Doesn't bother me though, since I can't remember it being so bad before I was born.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,277
    Thanks
    179
    Thanked 337 Times in 117 Posts
    I believe that this is all too... that's what makes life worth living!

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    SWE
    Posts
    2,536
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    One might say that once you're dead (or not born), there's no time, no space, no universe, no you. Everyone who dies or are never born are exactly the same, nothing. A nothing doesn't worry.

    Although one might also argue that we're nothing now aswell. For example, as far as you are concerned, I'm just a complex adaptive system that happens to be able to press keys... an animated meat-machine that simply obeys the laws of nature. This unit will of course worry about pain and such, but once it's broken it will not, how could it? Being self aware doesn't require a soul, just some sensors, a neural network and an inquiring nature. Naturally such a system will realize it has eyes to see with etc.

    Crap, now I'm being as deep as a paper plate left out in the rain.

    Anyways, it's the part near the nothingness that worry me, like being old and senile laying in your own feces at some mismanaged elder care home.


    Edit: Maybe reading An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding (by David Hume) could be interesting. I never got around to.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    sweden
    Posts
    834
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 87 Times in 22 Posts
    This topic has given me anxiety for a good while now and actually stolen some sleep.

    Well nobody knows what happens after this circus we tend to call LIFE that the thing that worries me. Humans cant imagine what NOTHING is and we have no idea to handle that idea it self therefore there might be a reason for us not to go on...or something. Maybe we are just meatmachines and think we are self consious when its really all about understanding the nothingness in our lifes. I mean, how can there be nothing. Everywhere we go we are surrounded by either some kind of matter or oxygen,energy. But nothing?

    To be honest i rather not be consious when i enter the nothingness, and to be there for an enternity would be hell it self imo.

    I have a few friends that are religous and they have strong believs that after all this they will go somewhere, either Hell or heaven but they do sleep at night and they dont wonder like the idiot i am.

    So what if theres somewhere after this, what will we do there? live forever? Float around in vacuume and dont have ANY ACCESS TO SKETCHBOOKS OR PAINTING MEDIUMS ....OR...Omg.... COMCEPTART.ORG

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Wiesbaden, Germany
    Posts
    2,169
    Thanks
    613
    Thanked 551 Times in 183 Posts
    Partial agree with Prom here. The time before death is the one I'm worried about most. Saw the death of my grandmother and wouldn't want to end that way, delirious and literally scared to death. Nah.

    But death itself is only something to worry about when you think of the universe as a part of your life, which is the wrong direction. When you end, the universe will spin on. So it's actually NOT over, but you are. A satisfying thought for me.

    On the other hand, you're 19. So what's your problem? You'll start life soon, not end it. You will work more than twice the time you have lived already. You will most likely survive hunger, wars and accidents. When the doctor tells you that you're too fat and should really diet, it's time to think about death and "what will come next" (haha, NOTHING!)

    BTW: What my biggest fear is that I won't travel space in my whole life. Damn you, Dan Simmons!

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    san francisco
    Posts
    2,443
    Thanks
    100
    Thanked 99 Times in 47 Posts
    Man, I was hoping this a Billy Idol thread....

  15. #14
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    10,430
    Thanks
    2,870
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    Attachment 37779
    but i admit sometimes i lie awake at night and wonder if that's all there is,and what will happen before i die,and after,and stuff...makes me pretty nervous sometimes,most of all the "immediately before death" phase. but what makes me even more nervous is the thought,that through some stupid chance,i could die earlier than expected and have missed out on some really good stuff i wanted to experience in my life.
    Sketchbook

    Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]


    Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

  16. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    over the horizon
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    hello,

    "Why should I fear death?
    If I am, then death is not.
    If Death is, then I am not.
    Why should I fear that which cannot exist when I do?
    Long time men lay oppressed with slavish fear.
    Religious tyranny did domineer.
    At length the mighty one of Greece
    Began to assent the liberty of man."

    -Epicurus (341-270 BCE)

    interesting topic.

  17. #16
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The Dark Zone
    Posts
    638
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
    What about dreams...? What about near death experiences? What about a mother and child bond. ( When the mother knows that there is something wrong even when the child is a million miles away.) What about PreScience and Dayjavu and destiny.
    I mean isn't there a reason why this question has been around since the beginning of man himself. "Were do we go when we die?"
    Don't you feel it in the pit of you!!! that there is something more. If we are all meat machines what is the point in having to live through all the pain that humans are faced with. If we are all meaningless and our time in this place is meaningless why haven't we just blown ourselves up yet.

    If We are all just chemically induced walking meat bags on the face of this earth, why then do we love so fiercely?
    Why do shed tears at the swelling of an orchestra?
    Why do we create such beauty in the art that we paint?
    Why do we do such logically useless things, Like write books or create screen plays. Why? Why would we do these things if our existence is at the level of simple animals.?

    Why?
    Why out of all the living creatures on this globe are we the only ones that are self aware?
    Why do we ask the question in the first place?
    Who exactly is this minjit you ask?
    Rorke's Sketch Book of Doomy Dooomm!
    I don't want to go mommy...>.< you can't make me!

    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”
    --Robert McCloskey quote

  18. #17
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    10,430
    Thanks
    2,870
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rorke
    Why do we ask the question in the first place?
    cause that's what makes us human.
    Sketchbook

    Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]


    Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

  19. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Santiago
    Posts
    1,795
    Thanks
    196
    Thanked 134 Times in 70 Posts
    FAQ ( IMHO)

    What about dreams...?
    -Dreams are a result fo the brain organizing your memories.

    What about near dea th experiences?

    -What about them...The light?, the light is nothing but he image they expect to see, buddhist monks who have no relation to the christian belief do not see any light for example, same with the birdview floating body thing.

    What about a mother and child bond. ( When the mother knows that there is something wrong even when the child is a million miles away.)

    -I´m missin the point, this doesn not concerns" life after death", but survival....in case of this being true, it would mean the same thing that affects most mammal mothers, the natural instict to protect their childs in order to preserve the species.

    What about PreScience and Dayjavu and destiny.

    - Please, this are all extremely self centered beliefs, Dejavu for example is just a memory recolection flaw, like a replay.

    I mean isn't there a reason why this question has been around since the beginning of man himself. "Were do we go when we die?"

    - The reason man ask this question is because...like any other animal, he doesn´t want to die and will do whatever is possible to stay alive.

    Don't you feel it in the pit of you!!! that there is something more.

    - Of cource not, people want it to be more, I find the idea of eternity extremely boring, but that´s just me.

    If we are all meat machines what is the point in having to live through all the pain that humans are faced with.

    -We are not "meat-machines" and we are alive, the point of having to live is exaclty that, live....There doesn´t need to be another place to go, this place is fine and the fact that we are part of a chain of consecuenses that affect others is enough to make it wort it.

    If we are all meaningless and our time in this place is meaningless why haven't we just blown ourselves up yet.

    -Again, like any other animal, we don´t want to die, if we trully believe there is another place, a better one, then we blow ourselves up to go there.....so, your logic goes the other way around on this one.

    If We are all just chemically induced walking meat bags on the face of this earth, why then do we love so fiercely?

    -Why so negative, you would be surprized to know just how complex we are, or how complex walking is....As why we live so fiercely, is because every moment could be our last, if it wasn´t, then there woudn´t be a point, it would be like sitting your ass on a bench waiting for a train.

    Why do shed tears at the swelling of an orchestra?

    -No everyone does, but the ones who do find themselves remmembering something moving, an orchestra is something very stimulating for the brain to experience.

    Why do we create such beauty in the art that we paint?

    -Because we observe things that we find beautiful, there is nothing that was ever created that is not either a mixture of reality or reality itself, We create art because we become overwelmed with reality.

    Why do we do such logically useless things, Like write books or create screen plays. Why?

    -To entertain ourselves, work, any work is quite stressing, we do need a release from time to time, even animals play.

    Why would we do these things if our existence is at the level of simple animals.?

    -Because we have bigger brains, we do the same things that they do, but in a more complex way.

    Why?
    Why out of all the living creatures on this globe are we the only ones that are self aware?


    -How do you know that we are the only ones that are self aware? That is the one thing that you can only know if you experiece it...In other words, we woudn´t know if we are bears if we weren´t in fact bears.

    Why do we ask the question in the first place?

    -Because we don´t want to die, just like my cat sleeping beside me.

  20. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Liverpool / Oxford
    Posts
    633
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 51 Times in 17 Posts
    Thats pretty much it shamagim.

    But, you can't say there isn't anything beyond death. If there is it wouldn't make our existence more significant, it would just be what happens, a part of our evolution. After all, our bodies and minds have had 1 million years (?) to evolve into what we are today, our brains could have evolved some mechanism to cope with death in someway. Like when you are in a coma, or sleeping, you have no perception of time, so you just dream forever, so when you are dead time essentially means nothing, or just stops. errr, I think that makes sense.
    Blog
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    *Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

  21. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,404
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 39 Times in 25 Posts
    I don't think questions like this require general answers. You've gotta find the answers for yourself, and be able to live with them as well as you possibly can. Literature and philosophy might help you deal with these questions in a more sophisticated way. Or not - depending on your personality. If the answers you get from church, your parents, or school are enough for you to lead a good life then there's nothing wrong with that. Of course these still require a bit of thinking on your own part.
    As for me i'm not worried that much about the eternity / death part atm, although i wouldn't mind a few extra years to add to the standard genetic equipment i hope to use up. At the moment i'm rather happy letting the curious part of myself learn, and have a couple of theories i bump around in the back of my mind.
    Last edited by John; October 19th, 2006 at 08:44 AM.

  22. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    SWE
    Posts
    2,536
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    -We are not "meat-machines" [...]
    Dawkins might argue but we indeed are meat-machines that the gene builds to survive. So what to do? Do what a meat machine does. It's not that bad, as long as you stay away from the Spanish inquisition, but I don't expect to see them arou... [JARRING CHORD] *NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!*
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

  23. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,574
    Thanks
    364
    Thanked 731 Times in 384 Posts
    hehe thats a kinda interesting topic. Especially in the last few weeks I have been asking myself what's going to come when everything is over. And I must admit that it sometimes really creeps the shit outta me to exactly know that one day I'll be dead. Though I know that living forever is senseless as well.

    In this point I really agree that religion is a good thing. I don't believe in any religion myself at all, since I believe it's pointless but I do know that dying is so much easier if you believe in any kind of religion. Maybe you live your life with a huge lie but you live a really comfortable one.
    -----------------------
    Available for freelance work! contact me via : cgrobelski@gmail.com

    PORTFOLIO

    cgbrush.org

    deviantart

    Follow me on Twitter!!

    aaaaaaaaand

    friend me on Facebook!!!!

    .....bitches!

    Finally Finished

    Da sketchbook

  24. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Santiago
    Posts
    1,795
    Thanks
    196
    Thanked 134 Times in 70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus|ANJ
    Dawkins might argue but we indeed are meat-machines that the gene builds to survive. So what to do? Do what a meat machine does. It's not that bad*
    Yes, but "meat" is just a piece of muscle, I meant that it was despective to think in such terms ( to ourselves), because we have an amazing bone structure, bacterial colonys, a complex circulatory system, etc, etc...

    Remmember the beggining the title of my rant: "FAQ (IMHO)" emphasis in the IMHO part.( as in "feel free to correct me if you find more reliable facts")

  25. #24
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    10,430
    Thanks
    2,870
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    i dunno about you but when i hear that we are meat machines i start to think about sex *perverted*
    Sketchbook

    Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]


    Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

  26. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    2,250
    Thanks
    239
    Thanked 319 Times in 109 Posts
    People will believe any idea if it's sufficiently comforting. There's nothing more comforting than immortality.



    0kelvin
    www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

  27. #26
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The Dark Zone
    Posts
    638
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamagim
    FAQ ( IMHO)

    .
    Well you seem to have all the answers good for you. I hope you take great comfort in them.
    Who exactly is this minjit you ask?
    Rorke's Sketch Book of Doomy Dooomm!
    I don't want to go mommy...>.< you can't make me!

    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”
    --Robert McCloskey quote

  28. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    2,987
    Thanks
    295
    Thanked 290 Times in 173 Posts
    about eternity? no.

    Honestly, all i worry about is if i am even on the right path with the time i've been given. Or if i am not able to succeed at what i set myself out to achieve..

    Living forever and non-existance never seem to be an issue for me these days. I think its just because of things happening right now at school. *shrug*
    My work: [link]

  29. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Santiago
    Posts
    1,795
    Thanks
    196
    Thanked 134 Times in 70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rorke
    Well you seem to have all the answers good for you. I hope you take great comfort in them.
    Comfort?...., no that´s not the way it works when you deal with non-absolute and completely debatible answers.

    Is more like curiosity.

  30. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    855
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked 23 Times in 20 Posts
    What makes you think you were ever alive to begin with? How do you know you even exist? How do you know if something is still there when you close your eyes? How can you be sure it was ever there at all? How do you know any of your senses are for real? Is anything for real? What do you think REAL is? What do you think THINKING is? When you close your eyes at night, how can you be sure you're going to wake up the following morning and not some morning in the distant past or past? Or in the same place, or even at all? If you don't ever wake up but you THINK you're awake, then what's the difference? How the heck are you supposed to know? How the fuck do you presume to KNOW anything at all?

    Just forget it man

  31. #30
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    10,430
    Thanks
    2,870
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    the matrix has you
    Sketchbook

    Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]


    Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Art: System Shock 2 Tribute - Nurse Erin Bloome
    By Conejo Blanco in forum Finished Art
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 29th, 2012, 02:56 PM
  2. System Shock 2 - Cyborg Midwife Homage!
    By Conejo Blanco in forum Art Critique Center
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: March 27th, 2012, 11:59 PM
  3. Scifi system-shock thingading
    By dusty imp in forum Art Critique Center
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: March 23rd, 2009, 08:45 PM
  4. Art: Shock Trooper.
    By Murdoc82 in forum Finished Art
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: April 28th, 2006, 10:11 AM
  5. Art: shock trooper
    By bert in forum Finished Art
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: February 13th, 2006, 10:08 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Designed by The Coldest Water, we build the coldest best water bottles, ice packs and best pillows.