Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks

Sick japanese dish - Living fish.

Ok, I usually don't presume to judge foreign cultures and personally I think japanese culture still owns much of what is lost in western civilization or was never there. But yesterday night I watched a reportage about the japanese people and it's relation to fish.

Two things nauseated me really badly: Firstly, a fish factory where blowfish where disposed of their jaws while still living ("because it tastes better", up yours!) and another one where bream was butchered (cutting of it's flesh at the sides) while still alive. The poor guy was still gasping (not a reflex, they left the viscera and just cut away the flesh, so the fish carcass was actually alive and conscious) when he was brought to the table, it's own flesh filleted beside the moving creature. An older woman laughed of pure joy when the whole thing was set on the table and she picked up some of the flesh.

Ok, I never ate fish, but this is more than just "they're killing the oceans". Aweful.

Don't eat sushi.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    Most sushi isn't like that, Jabo. If you want to effectively boycott a bad industry, boycott shrimp. National Geographic reported a while back that for every pound of shrimp caught, another ten pounds of bycatch is wasted.
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    What I mean is: Don't eat fish if you don't necessarily have to. It's the only food resource that is not for the most parts breeded but caught. Supporting sushi will whipe out thuna in the long term.

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    actually it is for the most part bread instead of caught nowadays.
    Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Fellah, why do you ask for my age?

Carnifex: Don't think so. Evidence!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1mBps2RkkRQ

Even better:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YjFTYwLxx4E
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=gW-b0ytMW2M
    Last edited by Jabo; October 18th, 2006 at 10:23 AM.

Thanks
    couldn't find any really. gross video,thanks
    Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    It just seemed a little "young" trying to save a few fish by starting a thread about not eating sushi here on CA. Good try though - wish i had that kind of energy left

Thanks
    Haha, no. I'm usually rather disaffected But cruelty to animals is something that will haunt me for the rest of my life. I'm rather emotional, I know. Can be a good thing, but my heart hurts every second since I saw it on TV. That's the bad side of being highly empathic.

Thanks
    1. its an island country with land at a premium for farming, what do you expect them to eat if not seafood?

2. not every kind of fish is prepared like the puffer fish. Seafood is notirous for going bad quickly after catch and most is gutted and frozen right on the ship after it is caught. Items that are prepared fresh are more likely bred than caught since the establishment serving it have to keep a living stock at the location.

please don't go screaming to the world "Save the fish!" after watching a few Youtube videos, it comes off as childish by any standards.

Thanks
    I can sort of vouche for his statement here. About 3 weeks after I moved to Japan my wifes dad came home from the seaside with a massive squid. A few minutes after arriving my wifes mom took to carving the poor thing up while it was flopping around probably wishing it were dead, then they all sat down to a dinner of raw squid meat that was STILL PULSING AND ACTUALLY RECOILED WHEN YOU BIT INTO IT. All the while the three of them giggled and laughed in sheer glee at the site. Haven't touched the stuff since after those first few pieces where the strips of squid writhed and recoiled in my mouth.
    Sepulverture's Sketchbook Page 1 Page 19
    Sepulvertures Extended Studies Page 1
    page 2

Tutorials Tips and Tricks needs you to stay alive!"

Thanks
    don't hate. sushi is delicious.

Thanks
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquaculture
    Crustacean and fish harvest acounts a very small amount compared to fishing (less than 10%) but is immensly high in regards to mollusks and algae (more than 75%).

However, "fishing" by itself is not depleting, since artisan fishing is virtually nowhere near depleting fish resources, yet has been used for ages worldwide:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artisan_fishing

The type of fishing which can lead towards depletion or extinction is industrial fishing:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fishing_industry

Even so, if industrial fishing is planned according to fish type caught in regards to season and location, depletion can be minimized or become non existant if the practice is conscious / considerate enough.
    Last edited by brokk; October 18th, 2006 at 11:39 AM.

Thanks
    If only I could eat my steaks the same way this dish was prepared. Look at me when I'm eating you, cow. You're delicious.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by brokk
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquaculture
    Crustacean and fish harvest acounts a very small amount compared to fishing (less than 10%) but is immensly high in regards to mollusks and algae (more than 75%).

However, "fishing" by itself is not depleting, since artisan fishing is virtually nowhere near depleting fish resources, yet has been used for ages worldwide:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artisan_fishing

The type of fishing which can lead towards depletion or extinction is industrial fishing:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fishing_industry

Even so, if industrial fishing is planned according to fish type caught in regards to season and location, depletion can be minimized or become non existant if the practice is conscious / considerate enough.
    thank you brokk
    strych-i was almost thinking the same thing. except i thought "good thing this doesn't work with cattle yet".
    Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    If you want to save the fish, then don't eat canned tuna or McD's fillet-o-crap or frozen fish sticks. Sushi, on occasion as an expensive treat to be savored, is a lot less likely to deplete fish stocks than casual eating of big-industry preprocessed fish.

And no, the bulk of fish are not farmed. There is as of yet no way to replicate the environment of the wide open ocean. And in some cases, such as shrimp farming, the trade off is that wetlands get converted into farming ponds. It's a lose-lose situation with shrimp.
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    I think the question here is not so much that eating fish is inherently wrong. I draw the line at the attitudes towards the struggling animal and the means of preparing a small number of fish dishes which prolongs suffering.

The fact is with eating any kind of meat, you never know how that animal was killed. You want to hope it was swift, but really, odds are it wasn't. I'm not gonna go PETA on anyone here because I eat meat as much as I eat tofu, but I do not favor a means of preparing a food that causes an animal prolonged agony for the sake of taste or presentation.

If you guys are actually interested in which seafoods are easier on the environment, I did pick up a little pamphlet at the Aquarium this weekend on the subject, listing which fishes have the greatest health risks/impact on the environment and which fish are safer. Apparently the world shouldn't eat Atlantic cod O_o

If anyone wants to see it, I can scan it tonight.

Thanks
    Most delicious sushi, it is indeed a pity that I can't fucking eat raw meat in this goddamn country though.

Just grab a safe list for fish and you'll be fine, but if you are doing this based on moral grounds, you've lost 1 million points from me.
    There's a couple of fish that SHOULD not be fished but not because "oh poor fishy, they are being gutted alive!ONOSE!" I've gutted my own fish, this does not phase me out in the least.
    Freshness is extremely important for any kind of sushi, if the fish is old, the sushi will be horrible to eat.

Steph: did you pick it up in Monterey?
    Last edited by skullsquid; October 18th, 2006 at 12:54 PM.
    DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    The reality is if you look at any form of life with the same compassion that you grant other humans, you find yourself in this conundrum of being hungry. If you refuse to eat fish because of how they die, would you still eat beef? How about chicken? Pork? Lamb? What if science discovered that plants "feel"? Would you torture an innocent tomato by eating it raw?

Would you stop eating all food because you go by the premiss that they "suffer" when they die? Did you forget we are part of a food chain, and are meant to be eaten, and eat other life forms?

Do you realise a fish, although a sentient life form, doesn't have the brain power to even comprehend it's own death? Furthermore, have you ever been critically wounded? If you have (serious injury level, not a cut or scrap) you know that the body naturally pumps your system full of pain killers for a short period of time. Very often people break bones and don't realise it until that endorphin wears off. The same thing goes for all animals.

Life in all of it's forms is meant to be consumed by other life forms. Humans are consumed by insects and lava in the ground. If we didn't invent weapons to hunt and kill them, we would be food for large predators aswell. Do you think a lioness feeding her cubs cares if you scream and cry while you die? Course not. You're food.

It's part of the natural order. It's not a disney moment, its the real world. And yes, it sucks that our ideology and morals don't cooincide with natural order, but in the end, that natural order reigns supreme.

On a lighter note, i've hunted game to survive (ran out of food while backpacking in cali a few years back) and after killing, gutting, skinning, cooking and eating my first rabbit (well, hare, it was kinda big) i started to understand my own place in the natural order. That was the moment that i could have gone vegitarian, but didn't. Instead, i respect the animals more.

Anyhow, death is never "pretty" or "nice" or anything of that sort. Animals don't pass away of old age in hospital beds or in their sleep...

In any event. Life is beautiful only because death is so terrible. But just as sure as taxes, everything will die. How, when, why, and so on, is not a matter of moral standing. As long as animals require the flesh of plants and other animals to survive, we will all eat meat.
    My work: [link]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph Laberis
    Apparently the world shouldn't eat Atlantic cod O_o
    did you know a blue whale has about 8000 litres of semen in his penis? when he mates,only about 1000 make it into the female.
    and you all wondered why the ocean tastes so salty.

edit: not verified.
    Last edited by Carnifex; October 18th, 2006 at 01:23 PM.
    Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    Since...we're on the topic,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDruEqh5zuM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01hR3uGqR7I

these weren't posted yet. The narration for the first video about "octopus" seems like it was created for a kid show, but hey that's just me.
    [B]Blog

Thanks
    Are you serious? As someone who has spent a bit of time in Japan, there is nothing wrong with sushi, or the way it is prepared. It's fish, which is a major food source for the world. If you were talking about preparing, I don't know, human babies that'd be one thing. In seriousness, I want you to take a look at the Japanese people on a broad scale and then compare them to the rest of the world w/regards to obesity. They eat healthy food and don't eat to excess and that's because of a healthy diet of fish and rice. There's also a big difference between servings of food in that country and the America's and Europe. In the US we have Fudruckers, which serves these rediculous portions of food, vs Japan where you get a plate of food and wonder if it's an appetizer. It never ceases to amaze me as to how slothful and ignorant the average US citizen is.

Thanks
    Hm, this thread didn't really turn out the way it was meant. Appearently most of the answers are relating to my last sentence in the first post. I'm not a greenpeace guy, really. This wasn't meant to be a save-the-fish thread, the focus was on the living dish. So, here are some replies:

hito: Sure, that's why I meant "don't eat fish, if you can avoid it". The whole tv-report was about "Japan and the fish". I know it's the most prominent food there. And that's ok for me. They're not the ones responsible for the death of the oceans, of course. Oh, and to me "fresh" is not "alive". If you keep a fish alive before you cook it, that's totally fine. But having to let it live even after served, that's a typical virility myth that's so prominent in Asia.

Sepulverture: I'd have puked it out.

brokk: Well, is it considerate? No. So we'll have to wait for the oceans to be a dead pool. Shortly before, people will scream "omg, what happened to all the fish?". They will breed more fish but hunt on, the oceans will be free of fish but you can still eat it because it was "saved" from extinction. Pardon me, but that's ill.

strych9: Ever tried Carpaccio? Italian Raw beef.

Quote Originally Posted by Seedling
    If you want to save the fish, then don't eat canned tuna or McD's fillet-o-crap or frozen fish sticks. Sushi, on occasion as an expensive treat to be savored, is a lot less likely to deplete fish stocks than casual eating of big-industry preprocessed fish.
    You're absolutely right.

Quote Originally Posted by evildisco
    Just grab a safe list for fish and you'll be fine, but if you are doing this based on moral grounds, you've lost 1 million points from me.
    So why's that?

Blue: Oh come on, natural order... You're not being serious, are you? Not Disney, sure, but that "real world" you're speaking of could live on without live dish.

If fish could scream, you guys wouldn't eat it. Quite annoying when your dish causes earache. Probably the reason you can't order living pork. Ever heard the screams of a slashed pig? It's not appetising, trust me.

Thanks
    Only read about half the thread, so forgive me if this has been said, but we are carniverous animals and you all wouldn't be here arguing at this moment if cavemen hadn't beaten some animals into non existence for their own survival. (Not that I condone beating animals OF COURSE, but I do condone eating them.)

1. Sorry, but most fish have 3 second memories.
    2. Sea predators don't give fishies a pill that kills them humanely and painlessly before ripping them to shreads and eating them alive.
    3. Mmmm. Sushi. Top of food chain ftw.

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnifex
    did you know a blue whale has about 8000 litres of semen in his penis? when he mates,only about 1000 make it into the female.
    and you all wondered why the ocean tastes so salty...
    Hey, Carni, um..... hmmm... how do I say this..? Well, how do you know if semen is salty or not? Or, are we talking seamen? Or.... hehehe ..

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished

Thanks
    If they could, fish would eat YOU.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Groover McNab
    If they could, fish would eat YOU.
    It happens in Soviet Russia!

Thanks
    Jabo...this is getting kinda Odayga-ish...

Thanks
    I agree with Jabo, its wrong and cruel to eat LIVE fish. But I am down for Sushi!

Thanks
    Boils down to wether its humane to keep the fish alive just to add to the presentation factor, but then again we could discuss wether its humane to waste tons of seafood just because "it isnt what we are after". Personally though I think its sick(slicing the fish and serving it while its still alive).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast