Thanks

3Ds Max action scripting

Hey all

I'm interesting in learning a little bit of scripting for 3DS Max to create customized buttons and macroscripts to improve workflow.

I'm not trying to become an expert, but just proficient enough to create simple scripts that automatically does many of the repeatitive tasks at work (like switching the FPS from 30 to 15 without having to go through Time Configuration, or editing the biped GUI picker to include free, planted, and sliding keys inside the GUI).

The user manual in Max is really not for beginners. I dont' understand any of the jargon. I'm looking for a really dumb-down elementary tutorials/instructions since I'm not very savy at scripting & coding and not familiar with any of the terms just yet.

Scriptspot.com is for immediate/advanced levels, and CGtalk wasn't much help either.

If you guys know of any links, that'll really be appreciated. Thanks for your help!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    The tutorials that come with Max really are the best there is imho (help > tutorials or user reference).

A good way to learn maxscript is to just have the MaxScript Listener open (shortcut F11) and do your operations the manual way and see what script it generates. This is the easiest way to generate script for repetative tasks. Then just get that script and drag it to the top bar to make it a button.

I'm not sure why you'd want to switch back and forth between 15 and 30fps and the biped GUI already has that as far as im aware (do you mean the quad menus?).

Anyway, best of luck learning MAxscript, it's easy once your get mind around it and it saves heaps of time. Either that or you can just download pre-made scripts like i do

Thanks
    hey Puck

I've been using the Macro reader. It's pretty cool. I also bought the "3DS Max 8 Script Essentials," so hopefully that'll be an easier way to get my foot in the door when it comes to learning sripting on my own.

The reason wh I'd like a button on the toolbar to switch from 15 fps to 30 fps is that we animate in 30, but have to export out at 15. It's not really a big deal, but when we're editing anims, and switching back and forth a lot, it tends to be a nuisance to go through the Time Coniguration, click "custom"-delete default 30fps, manually type in 15, close out Time Config, and do it again to swith back to 30.

JJ Tools has a biped GUI picker. It's really convienant and saves a lot of time.

macroScript Macro3
    category:"DragAndDrop"
    toolTip:""
    (
    framerate = 15
    )
    macroScript Macro3
    category:"DragAndDrop"
    toolTip:""
    (
    framerate = 30
    )

Thanks
    Cool. That's just my default answer to questions about all of max's tools as i really think the help and reference that comes with max is pretty superb.

It sounds like a real pain having to go back and forth in fps. I've never had to deal with a game engine so i didn't really understand the reasons before.

Good luck.