Art: Chicks who Draw Chicks - NOW AVAILABLE AT THE CA STORE! - Page 9

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanks medusa and Poise! ^_^;

Just a reminder to you ladies - you are now free to sign your pieces and post 'em where ever you like - I know mine's going to grace the crit section very soon...!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanks so much for putting this thing together, Steph. I had a blast working on my piece and I can't wait to see these printed! Congrats to all the participants - we all busted out some great work.

Thanks
    thanks agains steph for organizing this whole thing! all of the participants did an awesome job and it was a a really fun experience. and thanks to everyone who provided crits and comments - that made the experience even better!!

Thanks
    Thanked 16,669 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Congratualtions to all, and I can't wait to see it printed!
    Except for some slight shuffling of the months, they're almost exactly how I voted (one group 1/group 2 switch, two different people in group 2, judgement calls all), so I assume the consensus among the judges was pretty strong. I hope so for Steph's sake, as just coming up with my own list was hard enough, i shudder at the thought of reconciling six different ones!

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Dee Activate is offline All the world loves a show and everyone has their part
    Thanks
    Wow..Im new here..the art just blows me away! you ladies are so talented
    Congratulations to everyone, let me know if this is going to happen again lol..id love to take part.

Thanks

Congrats!

yay! congrats to all the Top 12 winners, the runners up, and gee, anyone who managed to make the deadline!

Im actually glad i didnt make top 12, cause the condition my piece is in, it looks better smaller!

that said, im gonna keep pluggin away at it, so anyone who's interested in helping, the WIP thread is here. Id love your crits!

Lastly, a million thanks and a bunch of flowers to STEPH for putting all this together and managing to pull it off, as well as Jason and Yumiko for handling the printing and putting their official stamp on it.

heres to the next one!

!

Thanks
    Kudos to all (especially Steph for her combubilation of putting the judges' decisions together) and I look forward to seeing each one in it's own thread.

You know what would be cool... if, in the original post, each piece could now be associated with its creator.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Kudos to all (especially Steph for her combubilation of putting the judges' decisions together) and I look forward to seeing each one in it's own thread.

You know what would be cool... if, in the original post, each piece could now be associated with its creator.
    Consider it done! *rushes before lunch break is over!*

Thanks
    Thanks everyone for the crits and the votes and hehehe at the February 2nd place! Funny stuff!

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished

Thanks
    Thanks all for the insanely good emotions I got out of this! *sniff sniff*

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by magicgoo
    Thanks everyone for the crits and the votes and hehehe at the February 2nd place! Funny stuff!
    I thought it was perfect - we have the lovey dovey psycho bunny girl for those who love valentines day, and the anguished, terrifying skinned banshee for the people who hate valentines day (like me!) ^_~

Thanks
    Finally! i feel safe to post in this thread(to keep identity a secret! although anyone that guessed got me right...)!! Thank you so much Steph!! Good times we all have in the Girly forum! Oblio's avatar.... suggestions and paintovers... To a thousand more happy projects together!! ^(+++++++++)^!!!

*sips my lo-carb monster energy drink*
    sw

Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    My congratulations to all who came through on this project. It obviously was a work of love. And Steph, I'm going to rob every florist in my area and ship everything they have to you for all the work you put into this...it was definitely above and beyond.

All thirty entrants can be proud of their efforts. I salute every one of you...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Great job ladies! I am proud to have werk next to all of yours. And thank you to the judges, and of course...Stephie Poo!

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment." -Barry LePatner

CRMacTernan Website

*ShineyNEW*SketchBook

*OldAss*SketchBook

Thanks
    Wow, Lanie your avatar is gorgeous!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 152 Posts
    Congrats everyone!!!.. eeeee, now that I know who's who.. I can sleep better at night..

Thanks
    Ok, time to crack the Laberis Code. Some people were wondering just how I added up all these scores and picked the winners' months, with so many judges on hand. Well, it may look complicated, but I promise you it's not. See if this makes sense:

What started out as a mess in my sketchbook broke down to this: 12 months, 6 judges, 30 girls and a point system.

Each colored column represents a judge's "dream calendar" in which they chose their ideal entries for each month. One half of the table is for big prints, the other for small. Each page of the calendar will have a big print and a small print.

Entries are represented by their assigned number. 30 girls entered, so the numbers 1 - 30 each represent one girl.

For every time an entry gets picked for a big print, it gets two points. For every time it gets picked for a small print, it gets one point. In the example of the second pic, if we look at #14, it was ranked as a big print 1 time and a small print 4 times.

So 1 x 2 points = 2 points
    4 x 1 point = 4 points

#14's total is 6 points.

Before I worried about the month placement of ANY of the entries, I added up the points for each entry. I then reserved big print slots for the top 12 people with the most points, and small print slots for the next 12 people with the most points. So in the end it didn't matter how many times you were picked for one month, it mattered how many times you were picked for a big print and thus earned you more points.

So what happens when it comes time to pick months? Does everyone automatically get the month that they were picked the most for?

That answer is no. While I tried to adhere to the judge's original choices as best I could (such as #27 and #22) there were some special cases. Sometimes I needed a piece to be somwhere else for thematic reasons (such as moving #3 to April, because I thought the sort of clown theme would be awesome for April Fool's Day), but I NEVER took a pic that rightfully won a big print and moved it to a small print slot.

There is also a special case where #12 has the popular month vote for July's big print - so why wasn't it chosen for a big print? The answer is because #12 had only earned 8 points total, and didn't rank in the top 12. The entry that ranked in 12th place had 9 points - really, this was as close a contest between the entries as I've ever seen. Look at #6, (yes, it was tied with #16 but I had already assigned #16 elsewhere! ). #6 also has 2 placements in its month, just like #12... but #6 earned 10 points and ranked in the top 12 winners.

I hope this makes more sense to you all - feel free to ask any questions.

Love,
    -Steph the Spicy Mermaid

P.S. Thank you guys for the kind words ^__^;; The project has been a roaring success so far and I have gotten more out of it than I could have imagined - I'm just counting down the days until I get to hold a calendar in my hand!

P.P.S. - Ilaekae, you're such a sweet dirty old man... make sure you take all the lilies you can find!

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Steph Laberis; October 26th, 2006 at 10:46 PM.

Thanks
    Great work ladies, some of these pieces were just aesthitically captivating, and the stories snapped - FIIIIIINEss all around.

- Visions

Thanks
    WooHoo! Awesome job everyone!

Lanie20, glad to have you here!
    PM davi and ask him to allow you access to the girlie forum.

emily

Thanks
    YAY! The challenge turned out great! Congratulations to everybody, participants, organizers, crit-givers and all. So happy to see we've got many talented ladies in the forum. I, for one, am looking very forward to the Guys Who Draw Sexy Guys challenge! Hot manbuns galore! W00t! I think us gals are going to have loads of fun looking at those entries.

P.S. To the judge who voted for my piece as a large print, that was very sweet of you, whoever you are. Thank you to all the other judges who voted for it too! You have my appreciation.

The Art of Kim Loh
    http://www.artofkimloh.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph Laberis
    PFFFFT, your topless pillow fights aren't half as much fun as ours!
    Damn, im gonna register as a bird an come to this super dooper forum you gals have and aparently birds give better crits in there?
    Woo too much, im there in a flash

(But seriously, im shamed by the skill put on display, you lucky gals..)

!!My New Animation Sketchbook!!

SSG #12: The Twelve Disciples
    25days-Penciler-OBX-Kresh-Flynn-Boogieman-Oki

Sponsor your own Animator, for only £1.25 a day. We can put an end to the suffering.
    Donations
    We accept most Credit cards, and food. Lots of food.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flynn
    Damn, im gonna register as a bird an come to this super dooper forum you gals have and aparently birds give better crits in there?
    Woo too much, im there in a flash

(But seriously, im shamed by the skill put on display, you lucky gals..)
    Watch out, man, you're gonna get Tamp-a-tarred...

Thanks
    congrats to everyone! as others have said it's nice seeing who did who, eases the mind a little again great work to everyone! oh and Steph that code confused me a bit... I read through it and I think I get it but still, that's rather complex lol.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver
    Congrats, everyone!! The calendar's gonna be so awesome

I'm actually glad my piece didn't go through - it's too unfinished to print. Thanks to all the girls and guy who helped me through it though - I learnt loads!

~~Naomi
    Same here. That was the first finished piece I've done in over two years, and it showed. O_o Gotta get my drawin awn. >:3

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    Congratulations to everyone who made it into the calendars,and to all of those who participated. i shamefully gotta admit on some pics i didn't have a clue who the person behind the name is. (that means,post more often ladies)
    0_o how come i missed layil's piece? strange...
    big props to steph and the judges.

now on to work on my own entry...

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,669 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph Laberis
    Ok, time to crack the Laberis Code. Some people were wondering just how I added up all these scores and picked the winners' months, with so many judges on hand. Well, it may look complicated, but I promise you it's not. See if this makes sense:
    My brain hurts .

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Tully FTW!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell
    My brain hurts .
    Note to self: do NOT quit art job to become math teacher.

Onir - If you hold your breath long enough it starts to make sense... at least it did for me

Nero: I really liked your piece dangit - vectors unite! I'm glad that completing it might have gotten some wind back in your sails though... show us more! ^_~

and thanks Carni ^__^;

Thanks
    wow steph... super job on figuring out the scoring... it might make more sense to others if you had circled the other votes for #6 as well.

Thanks
    I wanna know who this judge D is....

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment." -Barry LePatner

CRMacTernan Website

*ShineyNEW*SketchBook

*OldAss*SketchBook

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2