Page 12 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Erik, Thanks Lucas says thanks as well.

Rebeccak, Thanks, I'll try to get a photo of the painting when I get it back, I don't think it turned out well, I like the pose from the drawing study better more tension and form, hopefully I'll get soem time to paint her again. I studied Illustration as well, Up at Syracuse U. a decent program, thanks to Bob Dacey and Murray Tinklemen/man I forgot. lol but what was awesome about the Cuse was that the painting dept of the has Jerome Witkin, who an insane genius of a painter bent on world domination. He is awesome. Where did you study? I also did a summer out at the Illustration Academy in KC back in 98 which was cool, got to school Kevin Chen in basketball.

I think that NYAA is what you make it. I've been on the fence about going for years now. its $$. But there are some great teachers there like Vincent D, Dan Thompson, and Steve Assael. I think that the year end painting project is wayy to easy, I have to do paintings that scale every month or so, to keep my gallery from dropping me and I think they get 6 months. The league is great. Its tough to get into good classes though right away. but you can study all day from 8:30 to 9:45 Monday thru Friday and weekends Ithink from 9 to 4? sumthing like that I forgot. I'm there when I can get there. The National Academy is like the League, but more expensive, but the facilities are better, but they don't have as many studios, I did most of my studying at the Academy, cause my main instructor was there only, Sharon Sprung, she now teaches at both now. Plus the Academy has a tom of money for scholarships and they give them out twice a year and you don't have to be enrolled to receive one. I basically went to school there for free, plus I monitored for a while.
    I haven't taken a class with Frank yet, I'm going to try to do his ecroche class next fall, right now I have a free full time class at the League so I opted for a 5day a week class instead of a one day deal. So I'm waiting on it. I think its going to be very helpful to me. He teaches at NYAA and I heard he will be at Grand Central or is already.

Forums for traditional painting, now that is a loaded question. I would have to say NOPE! I think that there are things that can be gleamed from different sources but who knows if that source is correct? I think that Traditional stuff is so hands on that you have to see things hands on. Its very hard to explain how to visualize things like 3d form in front of a model, on a forum.

Oh yea, Email me when your Foundation Arts site is an open forum, it looks cool.

Daraf, Thanks! I'll stop by your sites.

Icey, Thanks, I'm planning on putting up some more work over there, once I get my site together better with my jpeg color issues.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Really nice to see such friendly replies. Beautiful work.

Thanks
    I quit.

Thanks
    I studied Illustration as well, Up at Syracuse U...but what was awesome about the Cuse was that the painting dept of the has Jerome Witkin, who an insane genius of a painter bent on world domination. He is awesome.
    I *love* Witkin's work. I didn't know that he taught anywhere, I didn't think any school could contain him, lol. Would love to hear some stories about that guy!

Where did you study? I also did a summer out at the Illustration Academy in KC back in 98 which was cool, got to school Kevin Chen in basketball.
    I studied at Art Center in Pasadena - Kevin Chen? The same one who teaches at Gnomon? I knew him back in the day, if that's the same guy.

I think that NYAA is what you make it. I've been on the fence about going for years now. its $$.
    Yeah, I have been exactly the same way about NYAA - on the fence. It seems like they have great teachers, but I've been checking out their online MFA gallery for few years, and it's always left me a little underwhelmed. I think what you say though is true, it's just what you make of it. I don't see the high level of work coming out of NYAA as out of some of the ateliers, but I agree that the atelier work lacks voice.

The league is great. Its tough to get into good classes though right away. but you can study all day from 8:30 to 9:45 Monday thru Friday and weekends Ithink from 9 to 4? sumthing like that I forgot. I'm there when I can get there. The National Academy is like the League, but more expensive, but the facilities are better, but they don't have as many studios, I did most of my studying at the Academy, cause my main instructor was there only, Sharon Sprung, she now teaches at both now. Plus the Academy has a tom of money for scholarships and they give them out twice a year and you don't have to be enrolled to receive one. I basically went to school there for free, plus I monitored for a while.
    Thanks for that great info! I may end up checking some of these places out further.

I haven't taken a class with Frank yet, I'm going to try to do his ecroche class next fall...
    You'll definitely have to post your studies!

Forums for traditional painting, now that is a loaded question. I would have to say NOPE! I think that there are things that can be gleamed from different sources but who knows if that source is correct? I think that Traditional stuff is so hands on that you have to see things hands on. Its very hard to explain how to visualize things like 3d form in front of a model, on a forum.
    I would agree.

Oh yea, Email me when your Foundation Arts site is an open forum, it looks cool.
    David, I'm perfectly happy to set you up with your own subforum if you want it, but at this point I'd like to leave it closed for general posting since my primary responsibilities are with the Anatomy Forum - the foundationalarts site is really just a personal web space, but you are more than welcome to have a sub forum of your own - let me know if you want one, and what categories you'd like (those are easy enough to set up / change) and I can let you know when it's ready.

Thanks so much for all the useful info!

Cheers,

-Rebecca

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
    1300 Factory Place, Unit 308
    Los Angeles, CA 90013
    www.korpus-la.com
    Blog
    Facebook Page

Twitter
    korpus.info@gmail.com
    Phone: 213-228-2014

Thanks

The Bone Doctor Is In The Building

Great works as always <> you are an inspiration to many here!

Thanks
    amazing work David, thanks for sharing

cheers

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mentler
    Great works as always <> you are an inspiration to many here!

i totally agree with mentler!!!!

but david, an question.
    which materials are you using? what brushes etc. you told me you would put it on your site but i couldn't find it anywhere, so i hope you can tell it to me.

maybe you didn't find some time for doing that, but it's okay, don't rush. you even don't have to answer my question .

post some more images.

and ps: my girlfriend thinks your baby is a sweet fella.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 376 Posts
    no crits, just admiration. your drawings make me happy
    In the future, everyone will have 15 minutes of privacy.

Portfolio
    Sketchblog
    Facebook art page

Thanks
    Oh for the love of god.....
    *crack, snap, grind*....yep there go my pencils into the Insinkerator.
    5 stars just doesn't do this work justice...i insist on 10.
    Thank you for posting and sharing.

Thanks
    David--

Holy Sh!t!!! I didn't know you started a sketchbook.

I always admired your skill when we were up at SU together, but you really seem to have found your voice since then. Every piece is just blowing me away. Better than that, each one is making me kick my own ass to get back in the studio and paint paint paint.

Reading some of your replies and knowing some of the email exchanges we've had, I'm even more pissed I couldn't get into Witkins classes. Scheduling conflicts, and I always heard mixed reviews of the classes (though in retrospect, always about his teaching style and not so much about his ability). Seems like you give him a lot of credit for putting you on the right foundation.

Consider this my subscription, I'll be waiting for updates with baited breath. If you take Rebecca up on her offer, be sure to post it loud and clear.

-Ben

Thanks
    beautiful stuff mate

Thanks
    Asoir, Thanks

Dan, I must have said that a million times since I've been to this site.

Rebeccak, I think Witikin is left alone at SU, I remember fondly that he never kept his office hours, and would bring in his stripper models to class. Great time. Art Center sounds great. Kevin has work on the thumbnails above, amazing concept and figure work, He was at the illo academy when I was there, I wanted to throw my pencils away after seeing his work and that was back in 98. I don't know what Gnomon is?
    Do both NYAA and an Atelier.
    Thanks for the offer for a subforum. I'm swamped with this commission til the 15th of Jan, as well a dream I have of trying to finish off a painting for an LA art fair coming up. I don't even have time to be posting here.

mentler, Thanks and ditto on the inspiration, email me how your show went and if you are ever in NYC we should meet up for drinks.

Shin, Thanks

OMA, Thanks, can you email me studio@davidkassan.com, I'll send you my low end version that I have now, I want to redo it as a PDF with photos and reasons for everything. I also have a basic drawing materials pdf that I do have a PDF for that I can send you as well.

here is anudder drawing, this is crappy photo of a drawing of the Lucas, its really rough right now, I've blocked in the full body but here is only the head.
    Playing around with the mylar to learn how graphite moves on it. I think some of the darks are lost/reflecting back around the head. too shiney.

graphite on mylar, exactly life sized. Wayyy in process, need to get to that nose and chin area.

Kassan Sketchbook - new drawing dvd trailer

Squid, Thanks happy is good.

Helzon, Thanks, use the dust from the pencils to make some tonal drawings,

bdfoster, Hows it going Ben, I got the idea to start this sketchbook from checking out yours. SU seems like a really long time ago, Bob was in town a few weeks ago and we hung out at Keen's Steak House, Great food, but expensive 40-50 for a steak. But well worth it. He says that we had a great class that year, Remember Marra, that guy was awesome. But I think I learned so much more from being in front of a model from 9 to 5 everyday at the NAD and ASL, everything till that time was quickies. Jerome was awesome, Very good and bad, yinyang, His crits were very zen. Which is great cause it makes you think and search for answers, well if you care enough to seek answers, Most folks would just zone out and careless. It must be tough teaching College classes where you get lucky if 10% of the students give a shit.

Thanks koppa. I maybe down in OZ in March, I'm going to be teaching a workshop in the Byron bay area. I can't wait.

Thanks
    for REAL David? I would love to get along up there. I'd love to find out more information when that's possible. Great stuff on that last one so far, Can't wait to see it finished.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by j a k e
    for REAL David? I would love to get along up there. I'd love to find out more information when that's possible. Great stuff on that last one so far, Can't wait to see it finished.
    Kool, I don't have the details yet except that it is going to be towards the end of March. A woman in Byron is setting it up adn she is researching venues right now. email me at studio@davidkassan.com and I'll pass you on to her. I think its during the Blues Fest as well, which will be cool to see how you Aussies handle the blues.

Thanks
    Thanks koppa. I maybe down in OZ in March, I'm going to be teaching a workshop in the Byron bay area. I can't wait.
    sounds awesome, despite it being miles from Adelaide...
    The Baby is fantastic. I think the lips are a bit off centre, but I know you have it handled.
    #asspat#

Page 12 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast